The World Is Not Enough appreciation thread

Comments

• JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    edited November 2015 Posts: 4,151
    As much as I think the movie has its failings, I think the pts is excellent.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    If TWINE didn't exist, SF could be called original, but as it is SF is a rip-off of TWINE.

It's my least favourite of Brosnan's because the end-game is lame and Renard is dull.

But the PTS is spectacularly great and can't be long enough.
    The twist is original and elevates the movie quite a bit.
    Elektra is one of the most complex characters in the franchise and Sophie Marceau is brilliant.

Denise Richards isn't that bad, she doesn't damage the film.

Brosnan on skiis is cool and I'm glad we got it.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    The part where Bond shoots Electra is fantastic, though.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    No one told me about this thread!
  • Mi6LisbonBranchMi6LisbonBranch Lisbon, Portugal
    TWINE has for me the best PTS in the series (even better then SP, which i absolulety loved), but after that is just an average JB movie.
    But it had the potential to be a Classic. A modern, plausible plot, some concern on character, theoretically great action scenes, a good villain (played by a great actress) but then .. something went wrong (and i am not even talking about Denise Richards.. that was really a bad casting decision!).
    For me the problem was Michael Apted and his inexperience in action adventure films. And the editing. It's the pacing that seems to fail. Never builds momentum.
    .. and also end very well. Ths "christmas jokes" were very funny.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Here's some unreleased music from TWINE that wasn't available on the official soundtrack. Enjoy it folks. :)

Gunbarrel/ Swiss Banker (Two versions.)
    http://picosong.com/6iwZ/
    http://picosong.com/6i34/
    M's Confession Alternate http://picosong.com/6i3d/
    Snow Business http://picosong.com/6iny/
    Khazakstan http://picosong.com/6in4/
    Bond, James Bond http://picosong.com/6inA/
    Submarine Escape http://picosong.com/6iFq/
    Bond 99 http://picosong.com/6iF6/

If you want more lost Bond music feel free to see it here. :)
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/6730/lost-but-now-found-the-unreleased-bond-music-thread#latest
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Its one of my all time favorite Bond movies.
    It has almost all the Bond movie ingredients and a good story with a main female Villain with interesting motives and a good back story.

Id say this one of Pierce's best performance as Bond and his chemistry Spohie was one of the best in the Bond franchise, you can see there was a strong attraction between them, if she wouldn't have been a Villain Elektra could have been considered one of the best Bond girls along with Vesper Lynd.

The main song is very good as well and action in this was great as well with the Boat chase standing out.
    I absolutely loved TWINE when it came out and for a long while held it to be the best Brosnan Bond. I think it really loses its appeal on repeat viewing though. GE became my favourite Brosnan Bond. For a long while I held TWINE to be Brosnan's second best. But after revisiting the Bonds on Blu Ray I was surprised by how much I enjoyed TND and would now say that that just pips it into 2nd place. I think I held TWINE above because it seemed to show Bond more vulnerable etc., but over the years that aspect of the film has come to be less convincing to me. I was surprised that I enjoyed TND more.
  • The TWINE theme song is now resung by Sedonia. Awesome video to see some familiar faces.... villians i mean.

AWESOME video! Thank you for sharing!
  • The best parts of TWINE are the title song, and.....

The end credits.
  • I would rather watch my whole family get massacred than see this stinking pile of crap again!! I don't know which is more painful this movie or getting cremated alive!!!!
    Appreciation thread folks... >:P
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Murdock wrote: »
    Some folk just don't regard the signs.
    That's how accidents happen...
    edited November 2015 Posts: 16,330
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    Some folk just don't regard the signs.
    That's how accidents happen...
    I have ways with dealing with accidents...
    flamethrower%20bagpipe.gif
  • Ooops! My sincere apologies! I misread appreciation for depreciation!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    My appreciation for TWINE has gone up significantly in the past few weeks.
    I always enjoy TWINE ,it get a bit of a bum-rap around here.
    I always enjoy TWINE ,it get a bit of a bum-rap around here.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    Brosnan's 2nd best effort after his great performance in Goldeneye.

Gets too much flak but deserves more appreciation. Great locations (although not used perfectly), great use of M, decently choreographed stunts, fantastic villain(s) and I love some of the quiet moments/introspective dialogue. Also, Arnold does his job justice and creates some of my favourite cues during the finale as well. I'd stamp this film as the most underappreciated Bond film of all time.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 9,020
    It's always a good thing to appreciate something.

The World Is Not Enough is my No 23, only Skyfall is even lower.

Skyfall is the only Bond that I actually have difficulty enjoying, mainly when Silva appears and ruins the film (imho).

TWINE comes close to that. I was never sold on the Elektra twist and I hate that M is depicted as weak and stupid. One of the main reasons why I also dislike M very much in SF. Judi Dench should have gotten better scripts in those two films.

But let's appreciate :smiley:

The PTS is the best in the series with OP, TLD, TND and SP.
    It is long, maybe. But it's fantastic from start to finish.

Brosnan shines once more in TWINE. The slight insecurities that could be witnessed in GE are long gone and he also looks so good!

Brosnan Bond on ski's. That alone makes the film almost worthwhile.

The score is one of the best, or even the best (outside Barry). David Arnold was THE worthy successor to Barry and I condemn EON forever to sack him for the catastrophe that is Newman.

Garbage have provided one of the better Bond themes. Especially in retrospect after such blunders like DAD, QOS and dreary SF, TWINE the song cannot be valued high enough.

I love Valentin. He was great in GoldenEye and he is great here. A wonderful actor that was almost underused in the Brosnan era in my opinion. The Caviar factory sequence is original, well edited and Brosnan is hilarious in it. Just watch him when his BWM gets sawed in two halves!

Dr. Christmas Jones. Well...I have to swim against the stream once more. I like her, I don't see a problem with the acting either. Really, she is perfect for that role.

Sophie Marceau. As much as I dislike that bloody twist she is great. A brilliant actress and it shows in TWINE.

The kiss-goodbye scene: Wonderfully acted and I am moved every time. People have to hate on Brosnan's acting anyway, they will always find something.
    Brosnan is as good as Craig in the role, in some way he is quite better.

Overall TWINE will never escape the 20+ placing in my ranking, but the same goes for AVTAK. Not because the film isn't good, but because there happen to be some 20 films that are even better.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    Not because the film isn't good, but because there happen to be some 20 films that are even better.

Yeah, that's the way I see certain films in the franchise. I think that ranking the films sometimes makes it look like we hate a film more than we actually would in reality. People also think that if it isn't part of the top half, then we dislike it, but that's not the case. For example: I really enjoy LALD but it sits somewhere in the middle because of the movies that deserve (you get what I mean) a better ranking due to the quality etc.

P.S. @BondJasonBond006 , did you get a chance to time the longest shot in TWINE/DAD?
  • RC7RC7
    Not because the film isn't good, but because there happen to be some 20 films that are even better.

Yeah, that's the way I see certain films in the franchise. I think that ranking the films sometimes makes it look like we hate a film more than we actually would in reality. People also think that if it isn't part of the top half, then we dislike it, but that's not the case. For example: I really enjoy LALD but it sits somewhere in the middle because of the movies that deserve (you get what I mean) a better ranking due to the quality etc.

P.S. @BondJasonBond006 , did you get a chance to time the longest shot in TWINE/DAD?

This is why I don't rank them. I don't really see the point. I like them all in their own way. I could probably pinpoint the couple I think are superior, but beyond that, defining something as being ranked either 14th or 15th seems like a completely futile exercise to me. 'That's my 17th favourite Bond film' - say what? Anyhow, I realise I'm in a minority on that front.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Have always liked this film a lot. To be honest I don't think Denise Richards is a total miscasting disaster.

She does fine with a very underwritten character. Plus she's up against Sophie Marceau who is a very fine actress indeed and is excellent as Elektra.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Have always liked this film a lot. To be honest I don't think Denise Richards is a total miscasting disaster.

She does fine with a very underwritten character. Plus she's up against Sophie Marceau who is a very fine actress indeed and is excellent as Elektra.
    Thank you.

Denise Richards gets the bad rap like Madonna does because they are who they are. I don't see them doing something that irritates the audience and as such they play it fairly and safely. But, it's Denise Richards, and she's mostly associated with cheesy and comedy films so instantly bad.
    Denise Richards is far from being TWINE's main problem or a problem at all.

The same folks can't stop beating Jinx (Halle Berry) over her head just because she utters one short rather silly "Yo mama".

Sometimes I think certain people don't deserve to be Bond fans. They are just spoiled brats.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

The same folks can't stop beating Jinx (Halle Berry) over her head just because she utters one short rather silly "Yo mama".

Sometimes I think certain people don't deserve to be Bond fans. They are just spoiled brats.
    My feelings about them exactly.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    The issue I have with Richards is that she is not credible as the character she is playing. A nuclear physicist? Really? Doesn't work for me. The same goes for Berry as Jinx. I just couldn't suspend disbelief sufficiently to buy them in character.

At least Loopy (misspelling intentional), Goodhead, Wai Lin etc. seemed somewhat credible in their roles. Knuckleheads like Bibi & Goodnight were meant to be just that - ditzy.
  • RC7RC7
    edited April 2017 Posts: 10,512
    Berry is an absolute abomination. Richards is miscast, but she never destroys the scenes she's in. Berry is awful. The worst Bond girl by a country mile.

It's not the "Yo Mama" line, it's her entire performance. Every single moment is laced with misplaced attitude and she has a complete inability to deliver a line without an unbearable level of equally misplaced sass. I've always defended DAD for it's positives, but she does her utmost to sink it. The film progresses reasonably well until we get to Cuba, and the scene with Raoul is a nice bit of old school Bond. As soon as Berry is glimpsed it goes rapidly downhill.

I watched it as part of a Bondathon last weekend and I'm more convinced than ever that has she been replaced by a more convincing and subtle performer the film would benefit tenfold.

If that sort of opinion disqualifies me as a Bond fan then so be it.
    RC7 wrote: »
    Berry is an absolute abomination. Richards is miscast, but she never destroys the scenes she's in. Berry is awful. The worst Bond girl by a country mile.

It's not the "Yo Mama" line, it's her entire performance. Every single moment is laced with misplaced attitude and she has a complete inability to deliver a line without an unbearable level of equally misplaced sass. I've always defended DAD for it's positives, but she does her utmost to sink it. The film progresses reasonably well until we get to Cuba, and the scene with Raoul is a nice bit of old school Bond. As soon as Berry is glimpsed it goes rapidly downhill.

I watched it as part of a Bondathon last weekend and I'm more convinced than ever that has she been replaced by a more convincing and subtle performer the film would benefit tenfold.

If that sort of opinion disqualifies me as a Bond fan then so be it.

Spot on summary. It's interesting an actress who I enjoy in many other films fares so poorly in my favorite series.