SPECTRE - Press reviews and personal reviews (BEWARE! Spoiler reviews allowed)

Comments

Cowley wrote: »
    NicNac wrote: »
    In fact Barbara, by creating CR and everything that has come since has more regard for Fleming than her father did with some of his later films.

So, just remember that as years go by it's harder to relate the films to the gentleman spy of the 1950s, and Barbara Broccoli does her level best to be respectful to that past. More so than anyone else would, that's for sure.

Well said that man. I tire of those people who downcry Barbara Broccoli and say she's letting her father's (and Fleming's) legacy down.

She took a huge gamble with Craig and the reboot but both artistically and financially it has paid off. With SPECTRE we've got a slight return to older films, there is a little bit of fun in the first hour or so for long time fans, but it's still a traditional Craig film as it races home to a conclusion. I think they've balanced the styles quite well.

If anything I think Cubby would be proud of the way the series has gone.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited November 2015 Posts: 4,116
    mcdonbb wrote: »

@Scaramanga12 ...May I ask what is your favorite Bond film?

OHMSS. Yours?

FRWL but OHMSS one of my favorites.

• I watch the movie yesterday and I love it. It is a nice old and modern Bond mix. Of course SP is not perfect, but I don't see big mistakes anywhere. In my opinion, the best scenes were: PTS, everything what hapens on the train and the torture. The best character is Bond, but I also enjoyed with Q, M and MP evolution as a team. Unfortunately, Taner has no role, a shame!
    OK WOW just WOW. I loved Spectre. I really did. IMO its the best of the Craig Bond films. From the plot, to the characters, to the location it was magnificent. I loved how they tied all the lose ends from the previous Craig films and now have come full circle. With Blofeld living in the end that now leaves another story open for Bond 25 along with Bond I assume will start dating Dr. Swan. One door closes another one opens. Great acting from Christoph Waltz and Lea. I love the plot twist that Andrews Scotts character was working for Spectre. I was surprised that Monica's character had such a short time in the film. Dave Batista lived up to his character IMO. Loved how he only said 1 word in the film. When I read that M, Q, and Moneypenny were going to have larger roles in the film i was hesitant at first but I thought their roles in the movie were perfect and not over the top out there. And lets not forget Judi Fuckin Dench making a cameo in the film. Even when they kill her she is still in the film. I though the humor in the film was just right. It wasn't as over the top as Roger Moore films were, it was just the right balance.

The only thing I didn't like was how Spectre tied in with Silvas story. I can understand how Quantum and all their agents ties in with Spectre because its pretty much the 21st century's SMERSH, but I felt there was no need for Silvas story to be tied in with Spectre. I would have liked Silvas story with M to have been separate.

The picture quality was really good, Thomas Newman score was good, but it had so many repeated scores from Skyfall maybe its time to try a new guy. Sam Mendes to me has proven himself to be the best Bond directer to direct back to back Bond films. I do not mind at all if he came back for a 3rd film.

If Daniel Craig doesn't do another Bond film I would be ok with it because Spectre is a great film for him to go out on, but lets hope its not his last film.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Sandy wrote: »
    royale65 wrote: »

I was thinking about this last night. I couldn't sleep, and luckily I have the week of work, to let my mind peruse these things.

Q takes the SPECTRE ring, and scans it into his laptop, and somehow his laptop is able to scan for DNA. I assume that Q has got some device that allows the DNA fragments to be converted via some sort of algorithm from the "real DNA" and into "digital DNA". A flimsy bit of pseudo science, I grant you, but there you go.

That's the worst thing for me, that's what I was thinking of when I mentioned the science in my spoiler-free review. I'm a researcher and, without giving much away, I'm known for being able to analyse impossibly small amounts of DNA. The way they did it makes absolutely no sense. It would be so easy to solve had they asked someone in the area (I'm free if anyone's interested!). Nowadays you can sequence an entire genome with a portable machine you can carry in your pocket but what did they show? A scanner. And that's my biggest complaint with the film, by far. It's still a top notch entry in the series :-bd

@Sandy for technical adviser on B25! It beggars belief, then, that they did not have Q fish the portable genome machine out his pocket to process the ring. Q is just neurotic enough, with a side of OCD, for people to buy that he would have the machine on him.

I watch the movie yesterday and I love it. It is a nice old and modern Bond mix. Of course SP is not perfect, but I don't see big mistakes anywhere. In my opinion, the best scenes were: PTS, everything what hapens on the train and the torture. The best character is Bond, but I also enjoyed with Q, M and MP evolution as a team. Unfortunately, Taner has no role, a shame!

Lol that's right.

Poor Tanner ...was probably home babysitting Q's cats.

• What I wish they had done with the plot is make some basic changes to it's structure, like:

- It starts and Bond is out on an assigned mission from M in the PTS and ends up making a major blow to Quantum as he yet again foils one of their plans.
    - Those in Quantum are upset with Mr. White and Quantum begins to fall apart.
    - Then we see Mr. White go into hiding and take something with him that gives him leverage over SPECTRE and Blofeld. Then maybe he sends something to Madeline Swann as well.
    - Then we see a meeting where Blofeld takes control of the remains of Quantum, forms SPECTRE, and states that part of one of their next major plans they will be exacting revenge on James Bond (similar to what they did in FRWL).
    - Then we cut forward after the PTS to some time later after SPECTRE has grown and we see the beginnings of the plot where they aim to gain revenge on Bond.
    - Eventually the film ends with Bond having foiled their plan again and Blofeld's on the run.

No personal backstory between Bond/Blofeld.

No contrived plot where the events from CR, QoS, and SF were solely orchestrated by Blofeld to harm Bond because of a childhood jealousy.

It gives SPECTRE a reason to actually want to find Mr. White & Swann so badly.

The ending is more like the ending of FRWL, TB, YOLT, OHMSS, etc. Blofeld's not simply arrested - meaning that in Bond 25 we'll almost certainly see him breaking out of prison and going after Bond & Swann.
    Trigger wrote: »
    Trust me, Monica Bellucci could return in Bond 25.

Maybe in bed with Felix

=))

Don't tempt me. I'd even shave and shower for that one.

• RC7RC7
    bondboy007 wrote: »
    No contrived plot where the events from CR, QoS, and SF were solely orchestrated by Blofeld to harm Bond because of a childhood jealousy.

Watch the film again and don't take things so literally. There's far more nuance to it, just engage your brain a bit.
  • RC7 wrote: »

Watch the film again and don't take things so literally. There's far more nuance to it, just engage your brain a bit.

I'll do my best to engage my brain a bit next time. Way to try and put someone down for having a different viewpoint than your own.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Watched it for the second time yesterday and enjoyed it even more than first time. One more little homage to classic Bond I noticed was Oberhauser/Blofeld's first line "Don't let me interrupt......" which was delivered in a style and sound similar to classic Blofeld.
    RC7 wrote: »

I'll do my best to engage my brain a bit next time. Way to try and put someone down for having a different viewpoint than your own.

Maybe instead just redirect your brain and enjoy the nuances of the film????

Birdlesons of a feather tend to flock together.

:P

Just kidding not meaning as insult.
  • Saw it last night and I am still digesting it. I absolutely loved the first two acts but I still have to process the last act. Especially the very end. Is it supposed to be ambiguous? Because I find it strange that we have Bond apparently leaving the service while so blatantly setting up a Bond vs. Blofeld rematch at the exact same time.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Nuances? That is not a word I would associate with SPECTRE. That was part of the problem, every homage, plot twist, gag or joke was just rammed in. No subtlety or texture. It's hard to see this one aging well.

Agreed. It's a bit of a hamfisted greatest hits package with some 'psychedelic' thrown in. It's surreal but demands repeated viewings to confirm if something has been missed. I feel stupid almost because there has to be something more... It's entertaining though.
  • RC7RC7

You could absolutely hate it, I don't have a problem with that, but at least think about the story in terms of the details and the direction rather than talking in absolutes. It's nowhere near as straightforward as ESB solely orchestrating the last three films. I'm saying this in a bid to help you reassess things. If you still hate it, you hate it, but I don't think you're quite getting the big picture, which is much more nuanced and satisfying.
  • mcdonbb wrote: »

Maybe instead just redirect your brain and enjoy the nuances of the film????

It's not that I didn't enjoy Spectre. I place it in the middle of my Bond rankings and am planning on seeing it again. It's more that I left Spectre far more disappointed than I've been leaving a movie since I saw the last Indiana Jones. It just felt like a weak re-introduction to Spectre & Blofeld for me. To me it was sort of like they took some of the weaker aspects of Skyfall and then doubled down on them. I think it would've benefitted from a less is more approach - no Andrew Scott, no Seydoux - more Waltz and more Bellucci.

I did really like aspects of Spectre a lot though, the PTS was excellent, the actors did what they could with some the material they were given, the cinematography was brilliant, and aside from the car chase & London sequences I really enjoyed the action.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Nuances? That is not a word I would associate with SPECTRE. That was part of the problem, every homage, plot twist, gag or joke was just rammed in. No subtlety or texture. It's hard to see this one aging well.

Agreed. It's a bit of a hamfisted greatest hits package with some 'psychedelic' thrown in. It's surreal but demands repeated viewings to confirm if something has been missed. I feel stupid almost because there has to be something more... It's entertaining though.

Wish thinking as a fan, there is nothing more, seen it twice and there is no more I am, afraid.

The villa for me is a good example of nuance in the film. The action sequences no not so much.

I liked that dual action is cut back and forth between Bond's battle and M's battle with C at the end. For me it added to the tension even if the scope and duration was less than one might expect.
  • RC7 wrote: »

That's what I mean. How can you accuse others of being dismissive when you loftily dismiss every negative comment about SP?

Couldn't you rebut his point without just saying to watch the film again. Do you know how much cinema tickets cost?

If you have to watch a movie twice to enjoy it. then its failed, its meant to work the first time
  • I don't know if i completely agree with that. I mean yea it's good for it to be enjoyable on a first watch basis but I wouldn't say it "failed" if I didn't like it on first viewing but came to like it after a few more. I liked spectre, but the first thing I thought leaving the cinema was "I want to watch that again" because I was confused/ unsure about some of it. I'm sure my opinion of it will improve after watching it again, and that's fine. I honestly didn't like TLD that much on first viewing, or dalton in general, but my opinion of both has gone up a lot since. Other examples would be LALD and FYEO.
    Yes.......seeing SP for me, the second time around, made me appreciate it more.
    In fact over the years, i find this to of been the case with many films..........the only film not to of improved with a second viewing was QOS (no surprise there).

That's what I mean. How can you accuse others of being dismissive when you loftily dismiss every negative comment about SP?

Couldn't you rebut his point without just saying to watch the film again. Do you know how much cinema tickets cost?

It's a forum with different opinions ...I loved it but I agree with many of the complaints. I'm not sure why the gripes don't impact my enjoyment more but oh well.

Y'all won't agree ...never will. What I find off putting are the insults of fans by fans that like or don't like.

We are all fans I assume.. we all want to enjoy the film and to see Bond continue to fight another fight.

• TubesTubes The Hebrew Hammer
    This is really Craig's THUNDERBALL in every form, with it's lavish and expensive production, prolonged run time, and the third act running out of momentum. I was entertained, but I'm not rushing out praising it like SKYFALL. Up until the arrival at the Spectre base, the film was terrific. Afterwards, the film kind of fell flat and it's twists were underdeveloped. Clearly feels like a two part story being set up towards the end.
    Tubes wrote: »
    This is really Craig's THUNDERBALL in every form, with it's lavish and expensive production, prolonged run time, and the third act running out of momentum. I was entertained, but I'm not rushing out praising it like SKYFALL. Up until the arrival at the Spectre base, the film was terrific. Afterwards, the film kind of fell flat and it's twists were underdeveloped. Clearly feels like a two part story being set up towards the end.

I like the tension contained in the simple ending.

I will say that Bond's marksmanship has vastly improved since SF.
    bondjames wrote: »

It's a bit of a hamfisted greatest hits package with some 'psychedelic' thrown in.

Ouch! That bad? I thought the typical Bond tropes were tastefully and reverently done by Mendes but not to be repeated in Bond 25 hopefully.

Fortunately the film then takes on it's own persona with the almost nightmarish and hallucinatory scenes in the Moroccan base and the ruins of the MI6 building.

I guess some see that as disjointed and messy and others see it as the best of both worlds and we're perfectly entitled to either opinion.
  • RC7RC7

I don't dismiss negative comments I attempt to offer an alternative view, which may or may not shine some positive light on things. I'm suggesting watching it again with a different perspective. Sue me for wanting people to enjoy it and not wallow in negativity.
    Yes I truly truly enjoyed this film.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Just read a review portraying disgust at the fact that Bond gets information from Lucia, has sex with her, and then leaves her to continue his mission, as if this is a brand new idea by the series and is the first time it's ever happened. Why do people complain about Bond movies being Bond movies? It makes no sense. I can understand complaining about her being underused in the movie, which she was, but to say how it all went down makes no sense deserves pointing the same finger at just about every other Bond movie.