SPECTRE - Press reviews and personal reviews (BEWARE! Spoiler reviews allowed)

Comments

• edited November 2015 Posts: 4,600
    So if SP had been released at the time of SF , it would have had the same broad success due to the 50th and hype etc (you dont leave any explanation for the actual film itself and peoples reaction to it?)
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 212
    The 50th wasn't that big of a worldwide event but it doesn't hurt either :)
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Let me be clear: I liked SP. It definitely had some terrific moments. I was entertained, as I am almost always with a Bond film (that is why we are fans, right???) :D

But the Spectre/Blofeld back stories are troublesome. I want to forget they exist.
  • RC7RC7
    edited November 2015 Posts: 10,512
    patb wrote: »
    So if SP had been released at the time of SF , it would have had the same broad success due to the 50th and hype etc (you dont leave any explanation for the actual film itself and peoples reaction to it?)

The general reaction I have witnessed, from normal people not hysterical internet dwellers and journalists, hasn't been disimilar to SF. Some love it, some think it's ok, others don't like it. What matters to me is whether I like it, not whether my opinion aligns with the larger of those groups.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    AceHole wrote: »
    People here pointing the finger at SP for it's flawed plot, illogical character motives and how it takes liberties with the Bond canon - SF did all of this too, at least in equal measure if not more so.
    At least SPECTRE does it whilst also having the decency to entertain you at the same time...

Exactly!

doubleoego wrote: »
    AceHole wrote: »
    People here pointing the finger at SP for it's flawed plot, illogical character motives and how it takes liberties with the Bond canon - SF did all of this too, at least in equal measure if not more so.
    At least SPECTRE does it whilst also having the decency to entertain you at the same time...

Exactly!

Some things we all need to remember:

1. All Bond films have flawed plots. ALL OF THEM. They're phony espionage films with make-believe world problems. If you want realism, you go elsewhere. Some (like MR) are just a little more ludicrous than others (like CR).

2. Character motives are also usually out the window.

3. Coincidence and luck always play a part in Bond's ability to find and escape villains.

So, yes, it is odd that criticisms regarding any of these are made in respect to the series. This includes the levels of hatred leveled at SF, sometimes, too. ;)
  • What I don't get is if this was a Brosnan film I am sure it would be panned. Mind you, the Brosnan films were fairly well received at the time so maybe in due course SF and SP will join them. The Craig era has all the benefits of the modern day super fan and the hype, it can basically do no wrong in many eyes
  • RC7RC7
    What I don't get is if this was a Brosnan film I am sure it would be panned. Mind you, the Brosnan films were fairly well received at the time so maybe in due course SF and SP will join them. The Craig era has all the benefits of the modern day super fan and the hype, it can basically do no wrong in many eyes

DCINB.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1,661
    Two bad reviews hit the net. Ouch!

http://www.vox.com/2015/11/6/9678580/spectre-james-bond-review

http://io9.com/spectre-is-way-too-ridiculous-a-movie-to-take-itself-so-1740865273

Actually the second one is quite positive overall, just the heading suggests a negative.

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited November 2015 Posts: 4,116
    RC7 wrote: »
    The people saying its entertaining so everything's ok must be DAD fans.

Must be.

And proud if it. True Bond fan at heart.

SP is far better. I never understood TLD and TLK fans ...to each his own.

• gt007gt007 Station G
    Hello, everyone.

Let me start by saying how nice it feels to be back and see not only familiar faces (well, avatars) from KTBEU all those centuries ago, but also new members contributing significantly to the Bond community. I've practically stopped posting here the past few years, but I'm frequently lurking. The excitement that comes with the release of a new film always gets me back as an active member. For a while, at least.

But anyway, enough with my babbling.

I watched SPECTRE on the 27th and I'm watching it again tomorrow night, this time on I-MAX.

In a word, I loved it!

Like a lot of people, I was afraid Mendes would make it Skyfall 2, but gladly I couldn't be more wrong. SPECTRE is a completely different kind of film. While it deals with some serious matters, like privacy in the age of the Internet, it does so in an entertaining way that I'd characterize as "classic Bond". It's a bit more humorous than Skyfall, but without being silly. And, of course, it doesn't fail to provide serious moments as well.

The film was brilliantly directed and, though I prefer Deakins' cinematography in Skyfall, beautifully photographed.

Daniel Craig is more confident than ever in the role. His Bond has earned the confidence the character is supposed to have. Through the films, we've watched him evolve from the rookie that makes mistakes and is seen as just another blunt instrument, to (one of) the best in the Service. I think that's the biggest character development we've ever seen in the Bond films and probably the most interesting one we'll ever get.

Christoph Waltz is, despite what quite a few reviewers say, excellent. His portrayal of Blofeld is spot on. You can see he considers himself a business man, as Waltz claimed in all of his interviews, but you can also see at certain moments the madness in his eyes that justifies the evilness of his business plans.

A year ago, when the film was announced, I wasn't very fond of Blofeld being "related" to Bond. I should mention I never read the script leaks, but one could assume that Franz Oberhauser would be somehow linked to Hannes Oberhauser from Fleming's Octopussy, and it was pretty obvious that he'd turn out to be Blofeld. Put two and two together, you get a Blofeld from Bond's past. Anyway, at first, the idea didn't really work for me, but Mendes and the screenwriters managed to do it surprisingly well. Blofeld's not after Bond just because he hates him for stealing his daddy. Bond is a man that keeps getting on his way, damaging his organization and destroying his plans, so he has to stop him. It just happens that this man is the kid he grew up hating for his own deeply personal reasons, therefore he takes pleasure in harming him.

Monica Bellucci was, admittedly, underused. However, she is fantastic in her bits and really conveys the nature of the strong woman turned into a fragile widow scared for her own life.

I really liked Lea Seydoux. She contributed substantially to making Madeline an interesting character. You can see the the toughness a girl would get from growing up with a criminal father and you can understand and feel her dislike about that world. Her connection with Bond feels very sincere. It's like that spark that once in a while appears at the moment you meet someone and gets amplified into a rapid sequence of emotions.

Jesper Christensen's performance as Mr White is undoubtedly his best. He brings an emotional depth to the character and makes the viewer even sympathize him for protecting his daughter in every possible way.

Finally, the MI6 crew is just superb. They're all excellent both individually and as part of the team. At last, we've got a group that feels like a proper team. In my books, this hasn't happened since the Lee-Llewellyn-Maxwell trio. I sincerely hope they all stick around for a very long time.

That's all for now... Part 2 of my review, focusing on scenes, stunts, jokes etc., will come after my second viewing tomorrow night.
    I've found the d
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Two bad reviews hit the net. Ouch!

http://www.vox.com/2015/11/6/9678580/spectre-james-bond-review

http://io9.com/spectre-is-way-too-ridiculous-a-movie-to-take-itself-so-1740865273

Actually the second one is quite positive overall, just the heading suggests a negative.

They are both positive compared to this one! http://www.charlotteobserver.com/entertainment/ent-columns-blogs/lawrence-toppman/article42956856.html

IMO another ludicrously critical review that I just can't take seriously!
    I forgot to mention these little gems from SP:

1. Bond's goodbye wave at the end of the funeral service.
    2. The "Where are you going?" line and subsequent reveal in the Mexico City hotel room. The audience at my showing laughed big time on that one.
    3. Two lines in the Austria clinic: regarding the nutrition drink and the security guard staying put. (Plus, Bond's attempt to order a martini...classic)
    4. The "what should we do now?" line following the fight with Hinx. Some might have found it stupid or corny, but I though it was just right.
    5. The mouse interrogation ("Who do you work for?")
    6. The ammo not working in the DB10.
    7. The meteorite.
    8. Madeleine focusing on JB during the video of her father's suicide. This was tremendously written and acted.
    9. Moments of silence throughout the film. I can't remember a Bond film having so many parts with long stretches of complete silence. There is one long, very tense pause, in the Spectre meeting that is especially effective.
    10. Bond's odd, swaying hips and back as he walks upstairs in the PTS.

And did anyone notice the bloodhot eyes CGI on Mr. White?
    TripAces wrote: »

2. The "Where are you going?" line and subsequent reveal in the Mexico City hotel room. The audience at my showing laughed big time on that one.
    3. Two lines in the Austria clinic: regarding the nutrition drink and the security guard staying put. (Plus, Bond's attempt to order a martini...classic)
    4. The "what should we do now?" line following the fight with Hinx. Some might have found it stupid or corny, but I though it was just right.
    7. The meteorite.
    8. Madeleine focusing on JB during the video of her father's suicide. This was tremendously written and acted.
    9. Moments of silence throughout the film. I can't remember a Bond film having so many parts with long stretches of complete silence. There is one long, very tense pause, in the Spectre meeting that is especially effective.

I like a lot of the things you listed, especially the one about Madeleine looking away from the video. That is a great scene - especially to see Craig yelling at Blofeld to turn it off. Well-acted indeed.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Making Bond and Blofeld foster brothers is one thing; making Blofeld/Spectre the "author" of Bond's pain is simply too much. EON needed to go with one or the other; not both. Or, better yet: NEITHER. Blofeld is the head of a massive criminal syndicate, with perhaps more power than anyone on earth...and yet, he's someone more interested in mentally screwing with an MI6 agent?

But for me, here's the bad thing: This can't be undone, folks. EON made a tactical decision to tie Blofeld to Bond, to tie Spectre to everything that happened in the previous three films...and, I hate to say it, I think it taints everything.

Agreed. At least someone else shares my opinion.

• Except it didn't make much sense. Lea had made it plain she hated her father because of the things he did. Yes it may have been slightly shocking but not that awful.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

7. The meteorite.

Great list ...yeah I thought Bond was gonna break a hip going up those stairs.

It's the little moments like the martini reminiscent of CR and when Bond and Swann are drunk that I think are getting missed.

The villa scene reminded me real people in a real moment similar to Bond eating toast in CR.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Did anyone spot MGW's cameo in SP? I was too engrossed by the movie to really pay attention and seek him out, was curious as to if anyone noticed it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Did anyone spot MGW's cameo in SP? I was too engrossed by the movie to really pay attention and seek him out, was curious as to if anyone noticed it.

Funeral in Rome.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1,098

Funeral in Rome.

I didn't notice that..............was mainly looking at Monica Bellucci most of the time! :)
    Many thanks, @Thunderfinger. I didn't even think to look last night. Is his cameo obvious, or is he a bit more hidden like his SF cameo?
  • RC7RC7

He's in the corridor talking to Denbigh when M and MP approach. Just after Bond discovers White's room in L'Americain. Gregg is also there, next to him (and easier to spot).
    Not in the funeral?
    Very cool, thanks for that. Definitely going to keep my eyes peeled the next time around.
  • RC7RC7
    Not in the funeral?

Not that I'm aware of. He's definitely in the scene with Denbigh.

Sure you are right. My memory played tricks on me. Damn you, Memory!
    Sure you are right. My memory played tricks on me. Damn you, Memory!

It's about time you buy a new one. Pick up one for me while you're at it, too, please.
  • DannyBoy1994DannyBoy1994 Wales
    Hi all,

I very rarely post on the forum, due to work constraints, but I thought I'd post my thoughts on Spectre. I've seen it three times now, the first time on opening night in the UK, and Tuesday and Thursday of this week. As one of the people who read the script outline back in December and followed the leaks thread since its creation, I was really excited to see the finished product.

Overall, I think the film is brilliant. I find it better than Skyfall, which I loved, and just as good as CR. The acting was great, with DC on form and Christoph Waltz being a fantastic Blofeld, as I thought he would be. The film looked stunning and the action set pieces were great. I wasn't sure how I would find the humor, as I did want the film to carry on in the serious style of CR, but I did find it very well done. Imo, I find it very hard to seriously critique SP. There's nothing that really lets the film down (maybe the soundtrack, but its more boring than awful).
    However, I will nitpick at some of the scenes:

1) The Rome meeting. I love SPECTRE and their sinister, secret meetings. But did Blofeld really need some other bloke to speak for him? I liked the PA pushing the microphone towards him, but getting the African gentleman to ask for volunteers for the pale king assignment was a bit underwhelming tbh. I gather that this is to show how utterly terrified and in awe the SPECTRE members are of Blofeld, but it didn't really work for me. I would have liked Waltz to have spoken in the same deadpan, bored way as he began ('Don't let me interrupt'). Once Dr. Vogel had finished her report, I feel Blofeld should have been the one asking for volunteers. Also, what did people think of the introduction of Hinx? Did the fact that he killed his competition simply because he could, rather than because that guy had failed SPECTRE, make the scene more or less enjoyable.

2) The car chase. It looked great and the cars were gorgeous, but it didn't really feel like Bond was in any danger. Hinx just seemed to follow him around, without any real attempt to stop him. Despite the appalling editing, I find that the QofS PTS is more exciting. I did enjoy the chase, especially the drifting outside the Vatican and choir singing, but I didn't find it hugely exciting compared to other chases. I think I would would have enjoyed it more seeing Hinx lean out the window of the Jag and fire his double-barreled hand cannon at the DB10 a couple of times before both cars tried ramming each other off the road. Also, a bit more traffic as obstacles would have been welcome. I loved the 'atmosphere' joke, but the DB10 pushing the Fiat out of the way was a bit much for me.

3) The train fight. I just wished it was longer! In two of the showings I went to, people were groaning and wincing at the devastating blows Hinx was delivering! This is the Bond/henchmen fight the series had been waiting for. Why was it so short! :D

4)The modern OHMSS theme. I was disappointed it didn't feature in the film. To me its always had a sinister vibe to it, especially since it was updated to the version that was in the trailer.

And that's about it really. Barring those tiny, little problems that I have, the film is blooming marvelous! 5/5 easily I think.

• I'm out of here. If you criticise the film you immediately get raped by a few DC fan boys. Pathetic.