SPECTRE - Press reviews and personal reviews (BEWARE! Spoiler reviews allowed)

Comments

• Liked it a lot, but for some reason didn't love it. There were a few things that really bothered me that kept me from totally loving it. Weird tonal shifts maybe. And Waltz is simply not that great as Oberhauser.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Tuulia wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I get that because Craig's Bond for the most part centres on his character arc being shaped into a fully formed experienced pro. That includes the hardships and lessons learned that cultivate the man into later being the man most men want to be and Craig achieved that status effortlessly in SP.

I know it's sot of an accepted line that "men want to be Bond" but I've never understood it myself. I'd rather hope "most men" don't want to be Bond at all.
    Regardless, Bond isn't supposed to be a positive hero. SP alone makes a big deal about him being an assassin. Bond isn't a hero or role model. He's the guy that does the dirty work for his government while abusing alcohol, sleeping with multiple women and many other vices. He's not a conventional nice guy so I don't really see what the problem is. If you're looking for "Captain America", you won't find him in Bond.

There you go... not a positive hero, not a role model, so why do men want to be him? If indeed they do. At least Craig himself is reasonable enough and wouldn't want to. Even if one ignores the job (guy being an assassin and frequently beaten up, tortured and in danger of getting killed), why would anyone want to be mostly alone, without any meaningful relationships (friends, women, family), no home or normal social life to speak of, drink too much... Why would anyone aspire to that kind of existence?

The line about all or most men wanting to be him is hyperbole. You think anyone really wants to be shot at? Of course not. It's the fantasy of being uber cool, suave, super confident, a master of vehicles, highly knowledgable, getting women and being desired by them, eating and drinking the best food to excess and somehow being in great shape and condition, driving awesome cars, travelling all over the world, living an extraordinary life...those select traits and a few otgers being tyrned all the way up to 10 that is appealing.
  • TripAces wrote: »
    So 12 hours later, and I am more troubled about Spectre's role in things and Blofeld's relationship to Bond. The set of pictures from Bond's past, in the old M I6 building was over-the-top, too heavy-handed. It's bothering me. Making Bond and Blofeld foster brothers is one thing; making Blofeld/Spectre the "author" of Bond's pain is simply too much. EON needed to go with one or the other; not both. Or, better yet: NEITHER. Blofeld is the head of a massive criminal syndicate, with perhaps more power than anyone on earth...and yet, he's someone more interested in mentally screwing with an MI6 agent?

But for me, here's the bad thing: This can't be undone, folks. EON made a tactical decision to tie Blofeld to Bond, to tie Spectre to everything that happened in the previous three films...and, I hate to say it, I think it taints everything.

Something else that troubled me: after all the men Bond tracked down and confronted and, in some cases, killed...Sciarra was the first one who had the ring on? Really?

I'd really like to know what Babs, Michael, Daniel, and Sam were thinking.

Can't disagree with any of this, the screenplay & story were too self indulgent.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited November 2015 Posts: 4,554
    Here's how I would have changed things:

Keep the PTS...but in the hotel room, as Bond is getting ready to execute Sciarra, he is shocked to see Mr. White in the room with Sciarra and Hinx. He overhears them talking...hears White say something to the effect of "I'd given all of this up years ago...World domination isn't all its cracked up to be, fellas." Then Bond hears some sort of clue. White is executed by Hinx. Bond pulls the trigger. Then the chase ensues. Hinx is seen watching the helicopter fight, from the ground and radios someone. And off we go.

Thus, Spectre is a whole new, rising entity, taking over from Quantum--but far more menacing. White's clues in that hotel room lead him to Madeleine...and so on. Voila! No Bond/Blofeld back story, no Spectre involvement in previous affairs.

I wouldn't quit your day job if I were you.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland

He lost me at "world domination"

Makes too much sense, perhaps? Placing White in that hotel room would set the stage a little better imho.

Because you missed the words "something to the effect of..."

But I shouldn't hijack this thread with woulda coulda shoulda. We need a different thread for that. Apologies.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 562
    @Tripaces. Why would Mr White be with Sciarra in the hotel room?

It's certainly going to be interesting to see what they do with the next bond. Are they going to go down the route of a partial OHMSS remake?, or is that going to be too dejavu with Vesper.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    There was a thread about which Bond you wanna be and live through, if I'm not mistaken.

I would choose SPECTRE. To kiss and shag Monica Belucci I would endure the drilling into my brain gladly :))
    edited November 2015 Posts: 2,138
    TripAces wrote: »

Makes too much sense, I guess.

Because you missed the words "something to the effect of..."

I prefer how it was done to your suggestion, keeping The Pale King reference unknowing it to lead to White would have been great, but like everything else in this movie that surprise was ruined with that amount of trailers and spoilers. had it not been known Jasper Christensen was returning as Mr White this would have been a great moment. The promo ruined the film. The sony leaks that spilled in to the press ruined the surprises. Spectre is only obvious because key surprises were let our of the bag.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 2,081
    royale65 wrote: »
    For me there is only one trait of Bond's personality to copy, and that is his self confidence and sense of self. (Although I wouldn't mind his dress sense, good food and car tbh!)

Those I can understand.
    For me there is only one trait of Bond's personality to copy, and that is his self confidence and sense of self. (Although I wouldn't mind his dress sense, good food and car tbh!)

I think his sense of duty is to be admired, he clearly loves his country.

Yes, sense of duty is admirable.

I get that because Craig's Bond for the most part centres on his character arc being shaped into a fully formed experienced pro. That includes the hardships and lessons learned that cultivate the man into later being the man most men want to be and Craig achieved that status effortlessly in SP.

I know it's sot of an accepted line that "men want to be Bond" but I've never understood it myself. I'd rather hope "most men" don't want to be Bond at all.
    Regardless, Bond isn't supposed to be a positive hero. SP alone makes a big deal about him being an assassin. Bond isn't a hero or role model. He's the guy that does the dirty work for his government while abusing alcohol, sleeping with multiple women and many other vices. He's not a conventional nice guy so I don't really see what the problem is. If you're looking for "Captain America", you won't find him in Bond.

There you go... not a positive hero, not a role model, so why do men want to be him? If indeed they do. At least Craig himself is reasonable enough and wouldn't want to. Even if one ignores the job (guy being an assassin and frequently beaten up, tortured and in danger of getting killed), why would anyone want to be mostly alone, without any meaningful relationships (friends, women, family), no home or normal social life to speak of, drink too much... Why would anyone aspire to that kind of existence?

The line about all or most men wanting to be him is hyperbole. You think anyone really wants to be shot at? Of course not. It's the fantasy of being uber cool, suave, super confident, a master of vehicles, highly knowledgable, getting women and being desired by them, eating and drinking the best food to excess and somehow being in great shape and condition, driving awesome cars, travelling all over the world, living an extraordinary life...those select traits and a few otgers being tyrned all the way up to 10 that is appealing.

No need to be condescending. Of course I don't think people want to be shot at. Or tortured and all that. I did say that "even if one ignores the job..." Otherwise, fine. So now you're saying that basically men don't want to be Bond, they just find a few aspects of his lifestyle appealing. That I obviously would understand, not the being Bond line.

It's certainly going to be interesting to see what they do with the next bond. Are they going to go down the route of a partial OHMSS remake?, or is that going to be too dejavu with Vesper.

I would have envisioned it that they have abducted him (against his will) and want intel. There is no more quantum...those involved have gone into hiding...but spectre has come along and wants to pick up that organization's broken pieces. They've found White and are going to get what they can from him. That's how I would have set it up, to introduce Spectre as a new organization, not one that oversaw things in the previous films.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 11,139

Those I can understand.

I think his sense of duty is to be admired, he clearly loves his country.

Yes, sense of duty is admirable.

No need to be condescending. Of course I don't think people want to be shot at. Or tortured and all that. I did say that "even if one ignores the job..." Otherwise, fine. So now you're saying that basically men don't want to be Bond, they just find a few aspects of his lifestyle appealing. That I obviously would understand, not the being Bond line.

I really wasn't trying to be condescending at all. But like I said, the line about men wanting to be Bond is hyperbole. It's the few aspects of his life that are attractive.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Indeed, and why would Hinx be there? His position in Spectre comes about because of Sciarra's death.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited November 2015 Posts: 4,116
    btw the demise of Hinx isn't so absolute.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Agreed

NicNac wrote: »
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Agreed

Don't think that's spoiler guys think that ok to discuss on this thread. I would agree he is still going. I think it is worth pointing out Bautista wrestling experience was probably invaluable to the fight scene realism and aggression. I would think they would want to tap more in to that with next one. He clearly wanted to impress ESB it would not surprise me if he is key to ESB's escape, which considering we have seen a million great escapes in film history will need to be unique and not cliché.
    Indeed, and why would Hinx be there? His position in Spectre comes about because of Sciarra's death.

Hmm. I didn't sense that. Hinx is a muscle man. Blofeld introduced him as a challenger to Sciarra's open position, but I thought that was a line of BS.
  • RC7RC7
    edited November 2015 Posts: 10,512
    So 12 hours later, and I am more troubled about Spectre's role in things and Blofeld's relationship to Bond. The set of pictures from Bond's past, in the old M I6 building was over-the-top, too heavy-handed. It's bothering me. Making Bond and Blofeld foster brothers is one thing; making Blofeld/Spectre the "author" of Bond's pain is simply too much. EON needed to go with one or the other; not both. Or, better yet: NEITHER. Blofeld is the head of a massive criminal syndicate, with perhaps more power than anyone on earth...and yet, he's someone more interested in mentally screwing with an MI6 agent?

But for me, here's the bad thing: This can't be undone, folks. EON made a tactical decision to tie Blofeld to Bond, to tie Spectre to everything that happened in the previous three films...and, I hate to say it, I think it taints everything.

Something else that troubled me: after all the men Bond tracked down and confronted and, in some cases, killed...Sciarra was the first one who had the ring on? Really?

I'd really like to know what Babs, Michael, Daniel, and Sam were thinking.

I liked the MI6 ending, I thought it was reminiscent of something you might find in a Fleming or early cinematic entry. I can imagine Connery or Moore stalking through the building. Yeah, it was very abstract and was borne of fantasy/eccentricity, but that was present throughout. If you want straight down the line believability/reality I can see why you wouldn't like it. As it is the film has a definite spectral feel to it (a conscious directorial choice) and these elements of the bizarre/unreal work for me in this context.

Hmm. I didn't sense that. Hinx is a muscle man. Blofeld introduced him as a challenger to Sciarra's open position, but I thought that was a line of BS.

Blofeld didn't introduce him. I thought it was clear he new Guerra (I think that was his name) was actually a bit of a weasel so opened the floor for a better candidate. Hinx then steps in.
    It reminded me a little of an Avengers scene, not sure if it fits though
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    People here pointing the finger at SP for it's flawed plot, illogical character motives and how it takes liberties with the Bond canon - SF did all of this too, at least in equal measure if not more so.
    At least SPECTRE does it whilst also having the decency to entertain you at the same time...
    AceHole wrote: »
    People here pointing the finger at SP for it's flawed plot, illogical character motives and how it takes liberties with the Bond canon - SF did all of this too, at least in equal measure if not more so.
    At least SPECTRE does it whilst also having the decency to entertain you at the same time...

AMEN !!
    If thats true, then why was SF such a hit?
    patb wrote: »

Why was Avatar such a hit, is it Cameron's finest work?
  • The people saying its entertaining so everything's ok must be DAD fans.

Thats what my son does, answers a question with another question, not falling for that one , you first
    :)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    :)) My wife does the same thing :D
    edited November 2015 Posts: 9,020

Thats what my son does, answers a question with another question, not falling for that one , you first
    :)

Yeah, my daughter is good at this too :))

SF without the 50th and the greatest hype ever around a movie would have grossed 750 million.
    SF and Bond were constantly EVERYWHERE in the media for two months before SF arrived. IMO
  • patb wrote: »

Adele
  • RC7RC7
    The people saying its entertaining so everything's ok must be DAD fans.

Must be.