SPECTRE - Press reviews and personal reviews (BEWARE! Spoiler reviews allowed)

Comments

Journalists nit picking as lack of people etc. should all be fired, it just shows they are self-centered and have no clue and pay no attention and are nit picking because their lives are whoretless (pun intented) due to them being fat pricks with a voice on the internet. That means nothing. They are nothing. They are navel lint. They have to lie in order to get laid. They have small dicks it's pathetic. See, would a real journalist pee himself?
  • RC7 wrote: »

Yeah, it's bonkers, but succinctly explained.

But it's completely unsatisfactory to those of us who like to use our brains in films.

• RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »

Yeah, it's bonkers, but succinctly explained.

But it's completely unsatisfactory to those of us who like to use our brains in films.

I'm sorry they couldn't satisfy your intellect.
    Also if New York isn't actually in the film then this film critic was obviously not paying attention to what was going on.

I remember a late night TV film review programme on ITV which looked at Goldeneye. The reviewer said words to the effect of "unlike other Bond girls this one doesn't need to be rescued by Bond" immediately after a clip of Bond in the tank chasing after Natalya.

The majority of film reviewers just need to fill out their space and aren't as emotionally invested in the franchise as we are to care or remember that much.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I think the journalist or "Hack". Is mixing up Trigger Mortis ( Bond goes to NY).
    with Spectre. ;)
  • "Of course. Mr White" - Just terrible delivery of that line.

Yeah, the way that was delivered was terrible. Mr. White is a central figure behind the events in CR & QoS and caused Bond a lot of pain, but since QoS ended he's barely given him a second thought so that when he hears a mention of his name he's like "Oh shit, yeah that guy, what's he been up to?" Just felt very odd - especially in the middle of a care chase.

I was excited to see SPECTRE & Blofeld back, but in the end that might have been a huge negative for where they took this film.
    Well, i saw the film again for the 2nd time today, and enjoyed it more..........don't know what the hell some of these 3rd rate US critics are going on about.
    Anyway........the film does have a slightly strange feel to it..............not the best in the Craig era, but an excellent addition nevertheless to the franchise!

btw:- i think the mouse should return in the next Bond film. :))
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 870
    Before I read this thread from the beginning, here's my two cents.

I enjoyed the film, and it was fun. But... I was not a fan of the whole idea of bringing SPECTRE and Blofeld back, even when it was just a rumor, and the filmmakers failed to convince me that was a good thing to do. It seems they were desperate to make Blofeld the archenemy of Bond again. I would have preferred them creating a new villain, connecting him to QUANTUM in some way, and making him the architect of the events in CR and QoS (but not on a personal level). Involving Silva in the story was a bit too much.

However, after the film was announced, I accepted the obvious fact that SPECTRE (and Blofeld) will make a comeback, but my main gripe after seeing the movie was Blofeld as Bond's childhood acquaintance and foster brother. I was staying clear of spoilers (I even watched the trailers with sound off), so I knew nothing about this. I am certain that, had someone on the forum suggested this as a possible idea for the film two years ago, 99% of the members here would have called it ridiculous. IMO, it is soap-operish. I am not against making Bond films more serious, but this personal issues stuff is getting beaten to death. There are plenty of other ways to achieve seriousness, and if Mendes and Craig return for the next film, I'm afraid we are getting more of the same - probably another Bond vs. Blofeld movie. I can't imagine Bond being married or monogamous, so he could be on another revenge mission. That would be taking it way over the edge, IMO.

Lightness of touch and gags were necessary in SPECTRE in order to tone down the seriousness of the story, so I didn't mind seeing them.

The things i like:

- Subplot about surveillance was terrific, very current, and probably the highlight of the movie. IMO, this is the road they should take in order to make films more serious and closer to reality
    - Daniel Craig
    - Both women are okay, but love story seems slightly forced
    - Bautista is a great henchman
    - Action scenes are great (train fight especially), so is the car chase
    - Cinematography is fantastic
    - M, Q, Moneypenny, Tanner are all fine.

Overall, the film is enjoyable and entertaining, even though I'm a little disappointed. I will see it again next week and see if my impressions will be the same. I'm glad that many people here like it. You can't please everyone, but I'm happy Bond movies are still being made.

I do not rank the films, but SPECTRE definitely is not one of my favourites. Of all Craig's films, only CR ends up in top 10, possibly in top 5. Sadly, I don't think they will make a better Bond film than CR in the near future.
    I just realized that the mouse thing might be a reference to Skyfall and Silva's rat talk..
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1,661
    Yet to see SPECTRE but my guess is the moue thing is a reference to Bond's chat with the mouse/rat in DAF. Bond is put in the tube and its buried underground. Mr Kidd's aftershave is on Bond's tux and the rat is attracted to to the scent!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Yet to see SPECTRE but my guess is the moue thing is a reference to Bond's chat with the mouse/rat in DAF. Bond is put in the tube and its buried underground.

The mouse scene in Spectre is original and perfect imo.
    If anything it is an homage to DAF I guess. But it's so different that I'm not sure.
  • RC7RC7
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Yet to see SPECTRE but my guess is the moue thing is a reference to Bond's chat with the mouse/rat in DAF. Bond is put in the tube and its buried underground.

It's a DAF nod if anything.
    Yes, sounds it! Not sure a mouse scene was in the leaked SP screenplay. I have a copy but can't remember if the mouse is in it! ;)
    mepal1 wrote: »
    btw:- i think the mouse should return in the next Bond film. :))

may want too big a slice of the jam now he's a big cheese in a pivotal starring role
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Bringing the mouse back would have to be done Caerphilly :D
    Any blatant use would be no Gouda.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Am I other only person who thinks the love story isn't forced? I genuinely feel sorry for people who haven't ever experienced whirlwind romance.
    DCisared wrote: »
    Am I other only person who thinks the love story isn't forced? I genuinely feel sorry for people who haven't ever experienced whirlwind romance.

Some taken exception to him going off with her at the end and others with her earlier "I love you" but yes you could argue that the circumstances in what brought them together moved things along a little Stockholm Syndrome fashion.

Plus I tend to think her watching Bond be tortured in such a gruesome way may have made her awakening feelings for him come to the fore and recognise he was a decent chap. I do like how angry Bond gets when Blofeld plays Madeline the clip of her Father's suicide.
    There is one thing very, very wrong with Spectre.
    It sadly ends after 148 minutes :(( and now I have to wait another 41 hours to see it again
  • Swann's entire character felt forced to me. In one scene she barely cares about her Dad, in the next scene she's following Bond across the globe to find out what happens to him. Then in one scene she says she loves him, then soon after she says she's leaving him, and then 30 minutes later she's walking off into the London night with Bond.

I would've preferred they kept Lucia Sciarra around longer and made her the main Bond girl - same goes for Skyfall and Sevrine.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Severine.....amazing Bond girl....gorgeous.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    So, to the mouse, L'Americain is I think an hotel, and in this hotel Mr White has made a false room with all his surveillance equipment in (the mouse leads Bond to this)…and nobody running the hotel has noticed? Or have I missed something?

Its a villa not a hotel.

Thanks, makes a bit more sense now.
  • RC7RC7
    DCisared wrote: »

No mate, I'm with you. I was going to say something similar. I get the impression those that don't feel it simply haven't experienced it in real life. Loads of chat about steadily building to the moment and ticking the boxes. That's not how it works! It can be intense and unstoppable!
    I didn't realise that Bond goes to New York in SPECTRE! Well according to this reviewer he does. Have yet to see the film but I don't recall New York being mentioned as a locale in this film

http://observer.com/2015/11/james-bond-turns-bland/

In all fairness, Mr. Mendes stages a few supersonic chases on water, snow and in the empty streets of both Rome and New York where nothing moves, resulting in a “been there, seen that” effect. Rome without motorcycles and gas fumes, and Manhattan without jaywalkers and traffic jams should tell you something about how much Ian Fleming’s popular Bond stories have degenerated into little more than contrived, formulaic fairy tales. The only thing pedestrian you see in Spectre is the script.

=)) Awesome!
    Swann telling Bond she loves him in his darkest hour was an honest expression of trying to comfort him while she may have realised in that very moment that she actually means it.
    There was an immediate connection between the two of them when he was in her office.

It doesn't feel forced at all.
    Swann telling Bond she loves him in his darkest hour was an honest expression of trying to comfort him while she may have realised in that very moment that she actually means it.

Spot on. Seeing him in such a plight will have brought her feelings for him to the fore and also it gives encouragement to Bond whilst he's in such pain.
  • So, to the mouse, L'Americain is I think an hotel, and in this hotel Mr White has made a false room with all his surveillance equipment in (the mouse leads Bond to this)…and nobody running the hotel has noticed? Or have I missed something?

Its a villa not a hotel.

Thanks, makes a bit more sense now.

It may be a small hotel, not part of a large hotel chain. For a while I thought it might be the safe old place that was out of Oppie's watch.
    We need a double take mouse for Bond 25!!! :D
    bondboy007 wrote: »
    Swann's entire character felt forced to me. In one scene she barely cares about her Dad, in the next scene she's following Bond across the globe to find out what happens to him. Then in one scene she says she loves him, then soon after she says she's leaving him, and then 30 minutes later she's walking off into the London night with Bond.
    Agreed 100%
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    dragonsky wrote: »
    We need a double take mouse for Bond 25!!! :D
    bondboy007 wrote: »
    Swann's entire character felt forced to me. In one scene she barely cares about her Dad, in the next scene she's following Bond across the globe to find out what happens to him. Then in one scene she says she loves him, then soon after she says she's leaving him, and then 30 minutes later she's walking off into the London night with Bond.
    Agreed 100%

I hardly understand women myself

:D

JUST KIDDING
  • RC7RC7
    There was an immediate connection between the two of them when he was in her office.

It doesn't feel forced at all.

Well said.
  • 24 hours from now I finally see it! I'm about ready to lose my mind!!