SPECTRE - Press reviews and personal reviews (BEWARE! Spoiler reviews allowed)

Comments

I thought him talking to the mouse wasn't intended for laughs. It was the most human part of the film. Who doesn't talk to their dog / cat / animals in a playful way.

Seriously i think if anyone interpreted that as intentionally hilarious then you probably laugh at people falling over.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    We were discussing him introducing himself as Mickey Mouse, not the scene with the mouse. Although the scene with the mouse demonstrates that Bond has a sense of humour and appreciates the irony of his situation he finds himself in.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    So, to the mouse, L'Americain is I think an hotel, and in this hotel Mr White has made a false room with all his surveillance equipment in (the mouse leads Bond to this)…and nobody running the hotel has noticed? Or have I missed something?
  • quantumofsolacequantumofsolace England
    I like the mouse scene. I find it gently amusing and rather touching. It's the wee small hours, Bond's been sitting there drinking and thinking... and so he speaks to the only other creature awake with him. I must say, though, that at every performance I find myself waiting for someone in the audience to gasp and whisper, "Oh he's not really going to shoot that poor little mouse, is he?" Hasn't happened as yet.
    Actually Bond seems to be going through a bit of a Doctor Doolittle phase in SP as later he says, "Hello, pussy", to Blofeld's moggie.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Apparently the mouse is getting his own spin off film!
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    So, to the mouse, L'Americain is I think an hotel, and in this hotel Mr White has made a false room with all his surveillance equipment in (the mouse leads Bond to this)…and nobody running the hotel has noticed? Or have I missed something?

Its a villa not a hotel.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    He is quite destructive in this one isn't he? A building in Mexico, a couple of train carriages, the wall in the villa, the villain's lair, an expensive Aston Martin. At least he wasn't responsible for the MI6 building.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    " Construction's not exactly my specialty "
    " Quite the opposite, in fact ". :D
  • Yeah they seem to think if they throw enough explosions in there, it will cover for the plot deficiencies.

People complained about the action in the Brosnan era being box ticking flashy explosions but Mendes has taken it way further.
    Looking ahead to the future of the now very fictional Bond universe, the abolition of the 00 unit that was threatened is likely not going to happen and neither is the data-sharing network.

However, will we still have a merged MI5 and MI6 operations, and what will this mean for Bond's future missions?

Assignments relating to threats on home soil?

Desk
  • new bond and almost a new reboot probably
  • DariusDarius UK
    NicNac wrote: »
    He is quite destructive in this one isn't he? A building in Mexico, a couple of train carriages, the wall in the villa, the villain's lair, an expensive Aston Martin. At least he wasn't responsible for the MI6 building.

Not as destructive as this one...

...I bet Peter the Great turned in his grave.

• edited November 2015 Posts: 24
    new bond and almost a new reboot probably
    Yeah, I kinda think that's very likely. And to be honest, I rather hope for it.

New Bond, new screenwriters please God, and a series of standalone films without an underlying TV soap opera storyline which involves the villain turning out to be Bond's evil brother.

It's either that or one last final hurrah for Craig, doubtlessly echoing OHMSS/DAF with a wounded, escaping Blofeld, a dead Tracy Madeline Swann and Bond out for revenge.

Think I'd prefer the former, you know.

Desk
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    edited November 2015 Posts: 972
    Today was the opening day of Spectre here in Singapore. And i've seen it twice on the same day. The first was at IMAX this morning at 10am, the second was early this evening at a regular cinema. I really like the movie and i paid closer attention to details and their dialogue during the second viewing... By the way, it was nice to hear Felix get mentioned. Didn't hear that the first time around...
    Where was this reference to Felix? I missed it
  • RC7RC7
    andmcit wrote: »
    Where was this reference to Felix? I missed it

He tells Lucia to contact him. Leaves details on the note.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Bond said Felix would help Monica Bellucci get to safety, in the villa as
    He leaves for the meeting.
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    Good to know i wasn't the only one that missed out the Felix reference the first time out..lol..
  • Desk wrote: »
    new bond and almost a new reboot probably
    Yeah, I kinda think that's very likely. And to be honest, I rather hope for it.

New Bond, new screenwriters please God, and a series of standalone films without an underlying TV soap opera storyline which involves the villain turning out to be Bond's evil brother.

It's either that or one last final hurrah for Craig, doubtlessly echoing OHMSS/DAF with a wounded, escaping Blofeld, a dead Tracy Madeline Swann and Bond out for revenge.

Think I'd prefer the former, you know.

Desk

Yep, though they've backed themselves into a corner now.

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Irma Bunt was in the original script was she not?? What happened there I wonder, will she appear in the next film?
  • suavejmf wrote: »
    Irma Bunt was in the original script was she not?? What happened there I wonder, will she appear in the next film?

I think the leaks made them change the script

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Ah right. Other details are quite similar to the finished product though.
  • RC7RC7
    Maybe they felt they just didn't want to service another character by name.
    Of course I'd forgotten the reference with Sciara. Was a nice reference. I would have expected Bond to reference him in his chat with MP when he shows her the recording of mk1 M saying not even a mention of anything untoward after running Sciara past Felix.
  • @RC7 Continuing from the other thread, the ring is not just stretching things a bit as you put it. It's nonsense. Do they pass every ring around each member?

Will you concede any criticism of SP?
  • RC7RC7
    @RC7 Continuing from the other thread, the ring is not just stretching things a bit as you put it. It's nonsense. Do they pass every ring around each member?

Will you concede any criticism of SP?

I've said on several occasions the film is far from flawless, but I find the positives far outweigh the negatives and any anomalies are reasonably explained. They were going to find out the key players were linked, but it's just exposition and they wrap it up succinctly. If Q has a fingerprint reader that is good enough to detect the prints of those who have either worn the ring or shaken hands with the wearer then so be it. It might be a stretch, but I'm shown that is the case, so I can roll with it.
  • I didn't realise that Bond goes to New York in SPECTRE! Well according to this reviewer he does. Have yet to see the film but I don't recall New York being mentioned as a locale in this film

http://observer.com/2015/11/james-bond-turns-bland/

In all fairness, Mr. Mendes stages a few supersonic chases on water, snow and in the empty streets of both Rome and New York where nothing moves, resulting in a “been there, seen that” effect. Rome without motorcycles and gas fumes, and Manhattan without jaywalkers and traffic jams should tell you something about how much Ian Fleming’s popular Bond stories have degenerated into little more than contrived, formulaic fairy tales. The only thing pedestrian you see in Spectre is the script.

I find it unbelievable that professional critics can be so nit picky. To be honest I was in Rome last year and was actually really surprised but the lack of cars in the city late at night! Italians need to be in bed in the middle of the night just like most people in every other city in the world if they need to be up early to get to work!

Also if New York isn't actually in the film then this film critic was obviously not paying attention to what was going on.
  • RC7RC7
    I didn't realise that Bond goes to New York in SPECTRE! Well according to this reviewer he does. Have yet to see the film but I don't recall New York being mentioned as a locale in this film

http://observer.com/2015/11/james-bond-turns-bland/

In all fairness, Mr. Mendes stages a few supersonic chases on water, snow and in the empty streets of both Rome and New York where nothing moves, resulting in a “been there, seen that” effect. Rome without motorcycles and gas fumes, and Manhattan without jaywalkers and traffic jams should tell you something about how much Ian Fleming’s popular Bond stories have degenerated into little more than contrived, formulaic fairy tales. The only thing pedestrian you see in Spectre is the script.

I find it unbelievable that professional critics can be so nit picky. To be honest I was in Rome last year and was actually really surprised but the lack of cars in the city late at night! Italians need to be in bed in the middle of the night just like most people in every other city in the world if they need to be up early to get to work!

Also if New York isn't actually in the film then this film critic was obviously not paying attention to what was going on.

Hilarious. Yet more evidence people are just out to put a downer on it.
    Re the ring, my interpretation was not that they shared the ring but tiny fragments of dead skin is transferred when they shook hands? Q placing it on his laptop to trace DNA is clearly bonkers.
  • RC7RC7
    patb wrote: »
    Re the ring, my interpretation was not that they shared the ring but tiny fragments of dead skin is transferred when they shook hands? Q placing it on his laptop to trace DNA is clearly bonkers.

Yeah, it's bonkers, but succinctly explained.