SPECTRE - Your reviews. NO SPOILERS.

Comments

• DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Yep can concur it is absolute mesmeric 2nd time around. My new favourite bond film. Everything that I had qualms about first viewing ( there wernt many) were washed away. It won't win Oscars but who's arsed? I think it's a masterpiece of a Bond film I really do. The best bonds are sumptuous escapism and I've never been so taken in by a Bond film. It's all my own opinion but I think you're absolutely mental if you dislike spectre.
    Although afterall it's all a matter of perspective!
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 4,599
    If the film is good, it will engross you completely and you will be 100% in the World of Bond. if you start thinking, "that doesn't work", or "eh, what?" etc, then its not the fault of the forum, its the movie.
    With some of my favourite films, I have read books, articles, reviews, I know so so much about the making of the movie etc etc BUT when I watch it for the umpteenth time, it's all forgotten. Because the film has taken me into that world. That's what good movies do
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I'm seeing it for the first time tomorrow, I was on holiday from 24th till the early hours of this morning so needed to put my viewing back a week.

I watched both CR and QOS a few weeks back in the same night and this afternoon my Wife and I caught SF in preparation.

I still love CR it has flaws very few but what a great intro to the Craig era and he's just fantastic in it, still love the sinking house sequence and the sign off is one of the most tantalising cliffhangers ever.

QOS, now I didn't hate it when I first saw it, I was disappointed somewhat but like those that can't understand the love for SF I can't get why you'd think this was the best of the era.

The PTS is terrific and the brief interrogation, the film does stop at times to breathe but it could do with doing it more but Arnold's score is his best Bond one of his career and the best of his whole era so far. The Bregenz sequence is a series highlight and like all the Craig entries I find the climatic point of the film top drawer plus Craig resolving the Vesper issue is done with style. I don't like the boat sequence and the plane and sink hole part belongs in the Brosnan era but I am warming to it on each viewing but it still remains the weakest of Craig's for me to this point.

I'm as much of an admirer of Skyfall as I was when I first saw it, the PTS is thrilling and despite the plot holes I find all involved excelling. Yes Dench and Bardem are great but Craig is still the main focus and I don't understand this comment of being sidelined. Although so many see this film differently to me and others, I'll defend it quite passionately. The Tennyson inquiry sequence is always one that gets the hairs on the back of my neck. I'll forgive the GB not being at the beginning. The changing of the guard from Dench to Fiennes is very promising and the sign off almost as exciting as CR's, still remains my favourite Craig film and my all time no. 2 after OHMSS.

I like Dalton and until Craig he was my second favourite Bond but as his fans quite adamantly defend him I'm with DC. In fact Craig's treatment of this harder edged and emotional Bond who can also handle the wit magnifies the short comings of Dalton's performance. Dalton would have killed for these entries and he's admitted it but he's lacking cinematic appeal which Craig has in spades.

Although I've not seen SPECTRE yet I'm intrigued by these claims if you love SF you won't embrace SP. To be honest what I've heard of Craig getting his TB or maybe SWLM excites me greatly. I'd always maintained that Craig could do that kind of Bond and it seems from what some of you have said he's made that transformation effortlessly.

Just because I've embraced his previous films is no indication I'm ready for something more fun and not so heavy as his previous films, I like this kind of Bond and TB, OHMSS & SWLM are among my favourites. If DC can deliver in that kind of entry I'm as giddy a school boy to see what it's like.

I can't wait till tomorrow afternoon it can't come sooner.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 97
    Here's our spoiler free account of the red carpet premiere, also contains spoiler free thoughts on the film...

Day #1 of 30 Days of SPECTRE...
    http://jamesbondradio.com/spectre-01-the-red-carpet-premiere/
    patb wrote: »
    If the film is good, it will engross you completely and you will be 100% in the World of Bond. if you start thinking, "that doesn't work", or "eh, what?" etc, then its not the fault of the forum, its the movie.
    You just summarized my experience with SF! ;-)
    That's what I was hinting at, if there is emotional resonance and empathy, you can get away with plot holes, you just don't care.
    I'm interested to hear your review @Shardlake

For me SF feels like a more intelligent film. Less of a bond film and even with the plot holes some genuinely classy scenes.

Same with Cr

Spectre felt more like a strap yourselves in and turn off your brain. Which is fine, but after Craig's tenure has taken the path it has I found parts of it jarring with the character he's created

Going back for a third time this week. Fingers crossed I like it more as I really want to!
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Matt007 wrote: »

For me SF feels like a more intelligent film. Less of a bond film and even with the plot holes some genuinely classy scenes.

Same with Cr

Spectre felt more like a strap yourselves in and turn off your brain. Which is fine, but after Craig's tenure has taken the path it has I found parts of it jarring with the character he's created

Going back for a third time this week. Fingers crossed I like it more as I really want to!

I've done a brief one in the review section but nothing detailed I have to say I loved it. I have been a big advocate of the Craig era and thoroughly enjoy those 3 previous films but SF was my favourite.

I just was ready for something lighter of touch an with dose of fun, SF did tease something like this but SP seemed not afraid to go big on it. It still has it's share of darkness but the absurdness and old school thrills was something I was ready for.

The Craig era couldn't for me carry on down the same path it had been going it needed to change gear. The end of SF teased this and I wondered if they'd go there and the sign off with SF was just for the 50th to give us a warm glow of nostalgia then we'd get gloomy and heavy again.

SF seemed to balance between what had been before in this era and some of the old school thrills, I wasn't sure if Craig or Mendes would go as far as they'd gone with SP, for me now Craig proves he's capable of all facets of Bond. He can do the dark and broody with depth and emotion but he can do the cheeky humorous 007 and in my view effortlessly. Of course this has to stay within his abilities but more than any other actor he's showed the range in his tenure that no one else has.

I've got my second viewing Saturday and can't wait, I will have to wait for the Blu ray as it's just to expensive going to the cinema to justify another trip after that. I'm taking my Dad and Mum for my Dad's Birthday, it's kind of a tradition since they both took me to see SWLM 1977 at the age of 5.

No it doesn't have the depth of the previous entries but unlike someone posted Craig can't just coast ( which I don't believe he's doing anyway) like Connery & Moore. I believe he's offering more than just old school Bond, I still see the detail in his performance but we couldn't go on forever with Craig's Bond being that Bond.

People have been impatient to see him as Bond instead of becoming in each film, well here for me he is. SF was moving in that direction and if SP had been more like that and I get from what I saw of the leaks that if Logan had not been reined in SP would have struck more the tone of SF and the whole Bond Oberhauser thing would have been more defined, the way they don't emphasise it too much is to it's strength.

People have called it Craig's TB, personally I was thinking it's more like his SWLM. I think it retains enough of Craig's traits for it to exist without seem entirely like a homage fest. I'm saying I recognise it's not as deep but I'm happy with that and it's the sequel that SF deserved and not what Logan might have delivered had P&W and Butterworth been called in to tweak and pep up.
    SP doesnt get released here til thursday, Im curious without spoling was Logans version darker & more like another Skyfall?
    Going to a 7:00 show on Thursday. Hope I like it
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    For those who have seen it already in IMAX, was IMAX worth it? I'm getting ready to book tickets and I'm wondering if I should fork over the extra cash.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited November 2015 Posts: 4,116
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    SP doesnt get released here til thursday, Im curious without spoling was Logans version darker & more like another Skyfall?

No I get the jest from the people that read the leaks that it needed lots of help and went off on bizarre tangents but was not darker.

So if your thinking you were cheated out of a better script I don't think you were at all.

For those who have seen it already in IMAX, was IMAX worth it? I'm getting ready to book tickets and I'm wondering if I should fork over the extra cash.

Absolutely. Especially so to see the absolute mass of detail in the Day of the Dead crowds. The two times I've seen it on Imax compared to a standard screen it's easier to spot Bond in the crowd before Sciarra passes him.

Just out of curiosity, how much is the price difference between standard and IMAX?
    Tuulia wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, how much is the price difference between standard and IMAX?

It depends on the cinema as the Odeon which does IMAX charges more for a standard viewing than other multiplexes such as Cineworld. I've seen SP in both and there's about a £6 difference.

I saw SP on opening night at an IMAX screening and there were entire families there and in the premier seats too - so it was an expensive night for some!
    Thanks. I probably should have asked what a standard ticket costs as well, but anyway... £6 is not a hell of a lot of money in itself, but quite a significant difference if one goes several times or is buying tickets for several people.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 12,242
    I ordered IMAX tickets; figured it was worth the extra money. Going to the movies these days costs such a fortune though.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I'm seeing it tomorrow. I'll be sure to post my thoughts.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Matt007 wrote: »

Same with Cr

I've done a brief one in the review section but nothing detailed I have to say I loved it. I have been a big advocate of the Craig era and thoroughly enjoy those 3 previous films but SF was my favourite.

I just was ready for something lighter of touch an with dose of fun, SF did tease something like this but SP seemed not afraid to go big on it. It still has it's share of darkness but the absurdness and old school thrills was something I was ready for.

The Craig era couldn't for me carry on down the same path it had been going it needed to change gear. The end of SF teased this and I wondered if they'd go there and the sign off with SF was just for the 50th to give us a warm glow of nostalgia then we'd get gloomy and heavy again.

SF seemed to balance between what had been before in this era and some of the old school thrills, I wasn't sure if Craig or Mendes would go as far as they'd gone with SP, for me now Craig proves he's capable of all facets of Bond. He can do the dark and broody with depth and emotion but he can do the cheeky humorous 007 and in my view effortlessly. Of course this has to stay within his abilities but more than any other actor he's showed the range in his tenure that no one else has.

I've got my second viewing Saturday and can't wait, I will have to wait for the Blu ray as it's just to expensive going to the cinema to justify another trip after that. I'm taking my Dad and Mum for my Dad's Birthday, it's kind of a tradition since they both took me to see SWLM 1977 at the age of 5.

No it doesn't have the depth of the previous entries but unlike someone posted Craig can't just coast ( which I don't believe he's doing anyway) like Connery & Moore. I believe he's offering more than just old school Bond, I still see the detail in his performance but we couldn't go on forever with Craig's Bond being that Bond.

People have been impatient to see him as Bond instead of becoming in each film, well here for me he is. SF was moving in that direction and if SP had been more like that and I get from what I saw of the leaks that if Logan had not been reined in SP would have struck more the tone of SF and the whole Bond Oberhauser thing would have been more defined, the way they don't emphasise it too much is to it's strength.

People have called it Craig's TB, personally I was thinking it's more like his SWLM. I think it retains enough of Craig's traits for it to exist without seem entirely like a homage fest. I'm saying I recognise it's not as deep but I'm happy with that and it's the sequel that SF deserved and not what Logan might have delivered had P&W and Butterworth been called in to tweak and pep up.

For me DC's performance in CR is Bond, it's Fleming's Bond.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1,314
    Just back from the cinema having viewed it again. It improved drastically.

My initial reactions to the film were underwhelming but have to say I really rather enjoyed it this time. I think as with most Bond films once I cant view objectively on the first watch. Most of the things I was unsure of seemed to be tied up or explained in things I had missed first time out.

I thought for a 2.5 hour film it fairly flew by. And the climax makes more sense once you know what's coming.

Sure there's things I would have preferred. Two scenes in particularly stand out as too expositional and the whole thing is entirely risk free in a way skyfall wasn't but overall I would say it's gone up in my rankings. Probably lower reaches of the top ten.

There is a slight sense of retread but also some good dialogue and scenes.

I'm interested to see where they take b25.
  • So at 0.01 am last night was Belgium's premiere. After watching the excellent 'Skyfall' again, expectations were very high for number 24.
    2hours and 30 minutes later I just had the feeling: what a waste of time ! Is this the best they can do ?
    To resume: SPECTRE is just dull and disappointing, extremely thin plot (is there a decent plot anyway?), the whole Morocco part is just ridiculious, Léa Seydoux is tasteless as a Bond girl and Christopher Waltz is so baaaaad as vilain. Not bad as mean, but just so wrongly played. Problably one of the worst casting errors of the whole saga. You have the feeling they tried to put so many things in this movie (continuing the Skyfall-feeling, referring to all the Craig movies, introducing back an old ennemy, is Edward Snowden in this movie ?, ...) but as a whole it just failed big time.
    Maybe expectations were to high; I was hoping for a masterpiece; it turned out to be an overcooked egg. Like DAD was the worst and the last for Brosnan; it's definitely time for Mendes to stop and probably for Daniel too. How can they continue this story arc after the mess they made in SPECTRE... ? It's time for a fresh start like they did with CR.
    David81 wrote: »
    So at 0.01 am last night was Belgium's premiere. After watching the excellent 'Skyfall' again, expectations were very high for number 24.
    2hours and 30 minutes later I just had the feeling: what a waste of time ! Is this the best they can do ?
    To resume: SPECTRE is just dull and disappointing, extremely thin plot (is there a decent plot anyway?), the whole Morocco part is just ridiculious, Léa Seydoux is tasteless as a Bond girl and Christopher Waltz is so baaaaad as vilain. Not bad as mean, but just so wrongly played. Problably one of the worst casting errors of the whole saga. You have the feeling they tried to put so many things in this movie (continuing the Skyfall-feeling, referring to all the Craig movies, introducing back an old ennemy, is Edward Snowden in this movie ?, ...) but as a whole it just failed big time.
    Maybe expectations were to high; I was hoping for a masterpiece; it turned out to be an overcooked egg. Like DAD was the worst and the last for Brosnan; it's definitely time for Mendes to stop and probably for Daniel too. How can they continue this story arc after the mess they made in SPECTRE... ? It's time for a fresh start like they did with CR.

You're relative new here and this is your only post. So your purpose to finally comment is to bash SP?

Craigisnotbond member?
    Could be.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Craigisnotbond member?

These chaps are still around? I thought they would have shot themselves after CR humiliated their cause.
    Well apparently they missed.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Well apparently they missed.

Are we surprised?
    Also, tonight's the night ... SPECTRE has finally arrived in Germany, at least for the lowly masses.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    If SPECTRE does end up making over a billion then rest assured, we will get Craig's YOLT. I can't wait to see what batsh&t insane OTT stuff will happen in B25 if SP is mega successful :D
    roko wrote: »
    Also, tonight's the night ... SPECTRE has finally arrived in Germany, at least for the lowly masses.

And tomorrow Austria ;-)