SPECTRE - Press reviews and personal reviews (BEWARE! Spoiler reviews allowed)

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited October 2015 Posts: 11,139
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I've tried to think of this as a stand alone movie, ie: no previous knowledge of Bond (Not easy as I've been watching the series for over 45 years). How would it have been reviewed if it was a stand alone movie, I think it would have gotten around 59% on rotten tomatoes instead of the current 76%. I think that far too many are cutting this film too much slack, it's got a couple of great bits, a few more good bits but a hell of a lot of medioctrity, end of term report, could do better.

This has been the year of the spy film & so far IMHO there have been 2 films much better than SP, kingsman for one & MI Rougue Nation for two.

Rubbish.

Why don't you say what you really think, those who can't expand & resort to one word responses IMO have already lost the argument....

Really? Not in this case I assure you. I thought your perspective on this matter was and is rubbish. Nothing more and nothing less. Fortunately I'm able to articulate and get to the point with one significant word to your comment.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 3,167
    B25 should not be another Bond-on-a-personal-rogue-mission. If B25 is Craig's last, it should be a mission given from M behind his desk! "Go find Blofeld, his last location was...", will suffice.
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »
    I've tried to think of this as a stand alone movie, ie: no previous knowledge of Bond (Not easy as I've been watching the series for over 45 years). How would it have been reviewed if it was a stand alone movie, I think it would have gotten around 59% on rotten tomatoes instead of the current 76%. I think that far too many are cutting this film too much slack, it's got a couple of great bits, a few more good bits but a hell of a lot of medioctrity, end of term report, could do better.

This has been the year of the spy film & so far IMHO there have been 2 films much better than SP, kingsman for one & MI Rougue Nation for two.

Rubbish.

Why don't you say what you really think, those who can't expand & resort to one word responses IMO have already lost the argument....

Your comment doesn't invite a thoughtful response. You come across as bitter. Expand your own post first, explaining why it fails as a standalone movie and perhaps people can respond, rather than plucking percentages out of your arse.

This perhaps is why people with considered opinions don't stay on these sites for long because the bullying nature of the regulars won't accept that other's don't always agree.

OK I give it 59% as a hypothetical score & you think I'm saying it fails, have you ever looked at the score's on RT, it's not a fail, it's just mediocre, which is my point, you love SP which is fine, I'm not so happy, let's agree to disagree, as to being bitter you don't know me, your not ever likely to know me, so don't take the P**s. I as you, have as much right to put forward an opinion, just don't make it personal.

I have no interest in RT. I'd rather know what you think about the film and why, not what hypothetical score you'd give it within specific parameters.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 389

Rubbish.

Really? Not in this case I assure you. I thought your perspective on this matter was and is rubbish. Nothing more and nothing less.

That's personal, I could attack your opinion by saying it's rubbish but I wouldn't, because it's below me, if it were me, I'd have just said that you have that opinion, I disagree but you have the right to hold by it. Opinions can never be rubbish because everyone's view can be different & as such there are many angles, that's democracy & free speech old boy.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    DCisared wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    One thing they shouldn't do is kill Seydoux in 25. They need to find a way of upping the emotional stakes without mirroring OHMSS almost exactly.

The relationship can die though, the way Bond's relationship with Tiffany Case died in the novels. Have Madeleine fall in love with someone else, being unable to deal with Bond's life and work. I find it far more powerful than another dead Bond girl.

Yea that's far more brutal.

Oh dear God, you've hit a nerve. Yes, tell me about it. As a man, there's nothing worse than the woman you love (and whom you thought loved you) deserting you for another man. It's emasculating.
  • RC7RC7
    edited October 2015 Posts: 10,512

Rubbish.

Really? Not in this case I assure you. I thought your perspective on this matter was and is rubbish. Nothing more and nothing less.

That's personal, I could attack your opinion by saying it's rubbish but I wouldn't, because it's below me, I would just say that you have that opinion, I disagree but you have the right to hold by it. Opinions can never be rubbish because everyone's view can be different & as such there are many angles, that's democracy & free speech old boy.

Opinions can certainly be rubbish and in this case I and the good Doctor @doubleoego agree that yours fits the bill. Again, feel free to explain where the number 59 comes from.
  • RC7 wrote: »

Rubbish.

Your comment doesn't invite a thoughtful response. You come across as bitter. Expand your own post first, explaining why it fails as a standalone movie and perhaps people can respond, rather than plucking percentages out of your arse.

This perhaps is why people with considered opinions don't stay on these sites for long because the bullying nature of the regulars won't accept that other's don't always agree.

OK I give it 59% as a hypothetical score & you think I'm saying it fails, have you ever looked at the score's on RT, it's not a fail, it's just mediocre, which is my point, you love SP which is fine, I'm not so happy, let's agree to disagree, as to being bitter you don't know me, your not ever likely to know me, so don't take the P**s. I as you, have as much right to put forward an opinion, just don't make it personal.

I have no interest in RT. I'd rather know what you think about the film and why, not what hypothetical score you'd give it within specific parameters.

OK, for the cheep seats, I thought it was MEDIOCRE overall, if you are trying to get a rise out of me, forget it as I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man, sorry old boy.
    Well although we saw it opening night, this is the first chance we have had to post our thoughts so here goes.

The film is awesome! the story is gripping and keeps you on the edge of your seat, the stunts are amazing, excellent soundtrack, superb acting and action throughout...what else can be said?! Skyfall was very impressive but Spectre supercedes that definately.

The only things i can add to my better half's paragraph above is the links to previous villains of the Craig movies being knitted together to this movie. I know i will enjoy my second viewing within the next week or so! :-bd

Rubbish.

That's personal, I could attack your opinion by saying it's rubbish but I wouldn't, because it's below me, if it were me, I'd have just said that you have that opinion, I disagree but you have the right to hold by it. Opinions can never be rubbish because everyone's view can be different & as such there are many angles, that's democracy & free speech old boy.

And with my right to free speech I stand by what I said and if you don't like it; tough shit.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 372
    Just came back, and it was PHENOMENAL. My biggest problem was that weird softcore tentacle stuff during the intro (which also made me realise how much I really dislike The Writings on the Wall) but all was forgiven after seeing the rest of the movie. AND THE GUNBARRELL AT THE START, I nearly cried. Judi Dench's cameo was a pleasant suprise as well.

One question for Italians... is wishing someone 'buona fortuna' a very common practise or was it a particular reference to Malèna in this case? Which reminds me to say just how great Monica was in this movie. Some of the best acting she's ever done imo.
    Which reminds me to say just how great Monica was in this movie. Some of the best acting she's ever done imo.

How many of her movies have you seen?
  • RC7RC7

Rubbish.

OK, for the cheep seats, I thought it was MEDIOCRE overall, if you are trying to get a rise out of me, forget it as I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man, sorry old boy.

Not trying to get a rise out of you, just some sense. I don't understand it when people bleat, but don't back up their bleating with sound reasoning. If you just think it's mediocre, but can't explain why, fair enough.
  • Ludovico wrote: »
    Madeleine Swann does not have to die. She could be dumped in Bond 25 the way Bond and Tiffany Case broke up in the novels.

Wait so Madeleine is a defenite return? In which case I hope they reveal she's a fembot in the very first minute of the new film and get rid of her. I loved her character and Seydoux played her well but I'm sick of Bond carrying heaps of weight from previous movies. It was one of the things I disliked in SPECTRE (all the references in the credits, White's lair, the SAW rooms, etc.). Obviously it'll be great if they elaborate on SPECTRE, but the evenly distributed action and lightness in tone are what made this movie brilliant to me.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Well although we saw it opening night, this is the first chance we have had to post our thoughts so here goes.

The film is awesome! the story is gripping and keeps you on the edge of your seat, the stunts are amazing, excellent soundtrack, superb acting and action throughout...what else can be said?! Skyfall was very impressive but Spectre supercedes that definately.

The only things i can add to my better half's paragraph above is the links to previous villains of the Craig movies being knitted together to this movie. I know i will enjoy my second viewing within the next week or so! :-bd

I'm so glad you enjoyed. You're always so uplifting and positive on here ....even when we are all trying to kill each other lol

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Rubbish.

That's personal, I could attack your opinion by saying it's rubbish but I wouldn't, because it's below me, I would just say that you have that opinion, I disagree but you have the right to hold by it. Opinions can never be rubbish because everyone's view can be different & as such there are many angles, that's democracy & free speech old boy.

Opinions can certainly be rubbish and in this case I and the good Doctor @doubleoego agree that yours fits the bill. Again, feel free to explain where the number 59 comes from.

Add me to your swelling ranks old chap because I'm sorry SpectreNumberTwo but the assertion that Kingsman was a better film than SP is farcical.

I'd bigged Vaughan up as a potential Bond director on the strength of the superb Kick Ass but repeating the same trick he did with that film but for the spy genre was beyond him.

Kingsman had its moments but the car chase alone in SP encapsulated everything Kingsman tried to achieve with more class and panache.

Yes I would admit to being a tad disappointed with SP but don't for one moment think anybody out there does it better than Bond. SP delivers all the spy genre clichés people expect and films like MI and Kingsman try to ape but it does them better and with more style. Non of the three films mentioned had stunning plots. The difference is when the story stutters SP is still a James Bond film at the end of the day and that counts for a hell of a lot when your name is merely Ethan Hunt or some chav scrote whose name eludes me.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 389

Rubbish.

Add me to your swelling ranks old chap because I'm sorry SpectreNumberTwo but the assertion that Kingsman was a better film than SP is farcical.

I'd bigged Vaughan up as a potential Bond director on the strength of the superb Kick Ass but repeating the same trick he did with that film but for the spy genre was beyond him.

Kingsman had its moments but the car chase alone in SP encapsulated everything Kingsman tried to achieve with more class and panache.

Yes I would admit to being a tad disappointed with SP but don't for one moment think anybody out there does it better than Bond. SP delivers all the spy genre clichés people expect and films like MI and Kingsman try to ape but it does them better and with more style. Non of the three films mentioned had stunning plots. The difference is when the story stutters SP is still a James Bond film at the end of the day and that counts for a hell of a lot when your name is merely Ethan Hunt or some chav scrote whose name eludes me.

To me this illustrates the great problem with fan sites, I've probably been watching Bond longer than all of you, my first taste was a double bill in 1968 of FRWL & GF & I was hocked from then on, I've seen every single film on it's release since OHMSS (Still one of the best for a lot of fans), I read most of the flemming material during my time at school, because I love Bond it means I don't just accept every installment as the best thing since frozen pizza, I look at each one including novels with a critical eye, always insisting that they meet a high standard & if they don't I'm not robotic enough to accept sub-standard without comment, I believe that both MI & Kingsman were better paced & plotted which is an OPINION nothing more.
    After all the comments I've read this evening, I wonder if all you guys would think Bond was wonderful if it was a camp carry on movie, if you never question or criticise then you may as well be a robotic zombie. So to paraphrase Gerrad Butler in Olympus has fallen lets play a game of F**k Off, you go first.
    DrGorner wrote: »
    :)) I must look closer, the next time.
    Ok recap from what I have found out so far - Sony held back on $60M of the budget, EON were promised $300M final budget was $240M, this led to the 3rd act being reworked on a few occasions.

The 12A certificate. The torcher scene was graphic and a deal has been done to restrict violence and sexual scenes in order for the film to be passed through by sensors as a 12A to allow the film to open to a greater audience. What did we lose? the remainder of the scene in Rome of Hinx gouging out the other assassins eyes, a substantially cut down train fight with Hinx. The Sex scene with both (Belucci) Lucia which I believe was borderline erotic soft core. And the love making scene on the train with Madeleine, which although I have not had it confirmed suspect that afterwards there was a scene with her laying on his chest talking which may have made their relationship feel more paced and genuine.

This is why I want a directors cut with the 20 minutes Mendes lobbed off the movie re-added to the Blueray with a reviewed 15 Cert. I feel we should campaign EON for this.

Sony should hand their head in shame because a great Bond movie could have been the best ever if Sam did not have to strip back on some of his ideas.

Yes, and we should petition eon to leave sony

Rubbish.

To me this illustrates the great problem with fan sites, I've probably been watching Bond longer than all of you, my first taste was a double bill in 1968 of FRWL & GF & I was hocked from then on, I've seen every single film on it's release since OHMSS (Still one of the best for a lot of fans), I read most of the flemming material during my time at school, because I love Bond it means I don't just accept every installment as the best thing since frozen pizza, I look at each one including novels with a critical eye, always insisting that they meet a high standard & if they don't I'm not robotic enough to accept sub-standard without comment, I believe that both MI & Kingsman were better paced & plotted which is an OPINION nothing more.
    After all the comments I've read this evening, I wonder if all you guys would think Bond was wonderful if it was a camp carry on movie, if you never question or criticise then you may as well be a robotic zombie. So to paraphrase Gerrad Butler in Olympus has fallen lets play a game of F**k Off, you go first.

You liked Kingsmen more? In addition to questionable taste, you and maybe a couple of others seemed to have just joined this forum with the only intent to bash SPECTRE and insult long term forum members.

Debate is fine and voicing opinion is fine... we won't all agree.

But maybe a bit more forum decorum might be in order ;)

• mcdonbb wrote: »

Rubbish.

You liked Kingsmen more? In addition to questionable taste, you and maybe a couple of others seemed to have just joined this forum with the only intent to bash SPECTRE and insult long term forum members.

Debate is fine and voicing opinion is fine... we won't all agree.

But maybe a bit more forum decorum might be in order ;)

Some of you are unbelievable I've tried to be calm but to be honest you don't listen, anyone new to the forum who's not a forlock tugging, obsequious, peacenik is vilified if they don't support the happy clappy it's wonderful view.
  • RC7RC7

Rubbish.

I'll take you seriously when you spell Fleming correctly.
    Some of you are unbelievable I've tried to be calm but to be honest you don't listen, anyone new to the forum who's not a forlock tugging, obsequious, peacenik is vilified if they don't support the happy clappy it's wonderful view.

I love the diversity of opinion on here. Anyone whom hates the Craig films and particularly Daniel Craig himself would receive a warmer welcome on the CraignotBond wannabe site http://www.ajb007.co.uk/
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    :))
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 562
    Largo, what are your problems with the film?

My complaints mainly lie in the third act
    edited October 2015 Posts: 4,116

Rubbish.

=))

Besides didn't you just read what I wrote? I said everyone has an opinion.

I would expect someone whom grew up on Bond especially Connery to be a bit more forgiving of SP.

But honestly you don't write like you did. Very unlikely a mature Bond fan is going to enjoy Kingsmen more than Bond. That film isn't geared toward that generation.

I am not a blind fanboy mindlessly praising SP.

I just find it odd that if you are familiar with fan sites that you and others pop up now.

What are the SP critics saying? I've hardly seen anything negative so far.
    Mostly positive and that's it's fun but lightweight compared to SF.
  • Getafix wrote: »
    What are the SP critics saying? I've hardly seen anything negative so far.

unsatisfying action scenes, apart from the fight on the train.
    Disappointing Blofeld and comic book backstory
    Clumsy attempt to suggest all previous Craig films are due to Spectre.
    Blofeld an incompetent joke, his ending akin to fyeo (please Mr Baaand)

Hmmm. I need to rewatch and assess. First viewing I thought it was okay but I wasn't blown away.

The Newman score really annoyed me again. He just can't be bothered or doesn't have the ability to do a Bond score.

Q is the one character that really stood out for me. I don't know what it is, but since QoS (where I thought he was really good) Craig has just wilted for me. I don't think he's bad but I find myself watching him and feeling I'm watching an actor play a character called James Bond. I'm not getting much connection with him any more. He's clearly enjoying the role, but the edge that I admired in his first two films is gone, and I'm afraid he doesn't have the charisma or charm to coast along, a la late Connery or any era Rog.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited October 2015 Posts: 9,117

Rubbish.

Superb Sir.

I was going point out that loads of us have been very critical of SP if SpectreNumberTwo deigned to look in other threads rather than just gobbing off but anyone quoting Gerard Butler to win argument has already reached rock bottom.

These trolls always sign up when there's a new film released so let's just move on.
    You know someone's on a wind up when he proclaims to have been watching Bond longer than everybody else here, despite only joining the forum in July. :-?