SPECTRE - Press reviews and personal reviews (BEWARE! Spoiler reviews allowed)

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Germanlady wrote: »
    And why wouldn't they? They have enough great reviews to show of AND from some, that really count. We all would do the same. Its about marketing, as we know. And here it seems sometimes, that people get off of the mixed or few negative ones, so its good to be reminded, there is A LOT of positive stuff around, WHICH is what we all should be happy about, instead od dwelling over the lesser ones.

Of course, they naturally use the good reviews and there are enough of them for marketing. They should and I'm glad it didn't take them long to do it.

You imply again that some dwell on lesser ones. Why? Just because some people here point out that there are indeed quite a few mixed reviews??
    That really looks like fanboys at work, not able to accept the facts, which would be a crying shame.

Metascore is at 69% and RT at 85% with 7.1 average critic rating. If that is not what you or others were expecting that's too bad. Learn to live with it. I do.
    There is still a majority of good reviews!

Tomorrow the German newspapers (and the Swiss) will post their reviews. I'm looking forward to them. I'm sure you too.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    And I expected that ...no one is saying the film isn't entertaining...unlike QS which they did.

The reaction I believe is good enough to generate enough business so Bond doesn't die.

And also not good enough not to illicitly change ...either in direction or writing or whatever.

This is Craig's DAD. ...OTT albeit Craig style and proud of it.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Craig's DAD? I don't think so.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    And I expected that ...no one is saying the film isn't entertaining...unlike QS which they did.

The reaction I believe is good enough to generate enough business so Bond doesn't die.

And also not good enough not to illicitly change ...either in direction or writing or whatever.

If it is just a OTT Bond that is fine by me. What I am a little bit worried by is Bond's personnel
    Story. I still don't know what it is, but it could weight down the fun mood.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 725
    Well, my view of SF went downhill from a "meh" on the1st viewing. I just felt Bond wasn't allowed to be Bond in SF, or at least the Bond I like. The bad jokes got out of hand on quite a few Bond films, but good fun and good wit are never a bad thing in a Bond film. Bond was almost a supporting player in SF, with most of the big scenes done by Judy and Bardem. M dies, Bond girl dies, Bond is old. So as some others have posted, when some critics are now comparing SP unfavorably to SF because they wanted an SF2 with "depth," I'm thinking, Yes! I think SP is gonna be my kind of Bond film, at least I hope so.

I still can't stand Smith, and I noticed even the most enthusiastic reviewers bashed the heck out of the song. He's just given an interview stating that he hopes Craig is replaced with a more "clean cut" actor. Geez, buddy, have you looked in a mirror lately. I know he is young, but he is also a twit.

If it is just a OTT Bond that is fine by me. What I am a little bit worried by is Bond's personnel

I would be too but I don't think it does ..I get the jest it's there but it doesn't upset the thrill.

Be careful with such comments around here :))

I believe SP will be Craig's YOLT and I have said so since weeks.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

That would be amazing :D

except SPECTRE has a better henchman :))
    Let

Let me explain... it's Craig's DAD in that what they want to achieve ie a traditional Bond with all the trappings is the same thing they wanted to achieve with DAD. I'm not referring or inferring anything to the final product. I liked DAD but I am sure SP will be a far better film.

But both followed films that delved into deeper drama ...again SF succeeded but TWINE not so much.

I would be too but I don't think it does ..I get the jest it's there but it doesn't upset the thrill.
    That's my sense too, that the personal stuff is there but that the film doesn't dwell.

Let

Let me explain... it's Craig's DAD in that what they want to achieve ie a traditional Bond with all the trappings is the same thing they wanted to achieve with DAD. I'm not referring or inferring anything to the final product. I liked DAD but I am sure SP will be a far better film.

But both followed films that delved into deeper drama ...again SF succeeded but TWINE not so much.

A better comparison might be TSWLM and YOLT, but if you consider that DAD was the Brosnan era's attempt to go into the Gilbert-style excess then maybe, sure. It's (hopefully) a kinda grandiose attempt - I'd say that with Gilbert you really felt the scale though, whereas Tamahori's film feels tinny and almost aggressively inauthentic.

It's good though if this is indeed what the film winds up being, if there's a stronger embrace of the cornball aspects to cinematic Bond, because that kind of Bond film arguably hasn't been satisfied for quite a while. You could make the argument that GoldenEye is the closest we've been since Moonraker.
    Probably right ...I can see that.
    smitty wrote: »
    I still can't stand Smith, and I noticed even the most enthusiastic reviewers bashed the heck out of the song. He's just given an interview stating that he hopes Craig is replaced with a more "clean cut" actor. Geez, buddy, have you looked in a mirror lately. I know he is young, but he is also a twit.

Thank you. That saves me the trouble of ever contemplating listening to his Bond theme again. When he can come up with a half decent Bond theme THEN he can comment about casting Bond
    FourDot wrote: »
    Let

A better comparison might be TSWLM and YOLT, but if you consider that DAD was the Brosnan era's attempt to go into the Gilbert-style excess then maybe, sure. It's (hopefully) a kinda grandiose attempt - I'd say that with Gilbert you really felt the scale though, whereas Tamahori's film feels tinny and almost aggressively inauthentic.

It's good though if this is indeed what the film winds up being, if there's a stronger embrace of the cornball aspects to cinematic Bond, because that kind of Bond film arguably hasn't been satisfied for quite a while. You could make the argument that GoldenEye is the closest we've been since Moonraker.

I'd have thought that accolade would have gone to TND?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Agreed. TND was the last Gilbert attempt. It didn't quite achieve the grandeur of his films, but was closer than Tamahori's miserable effort.
    Cowley wrote: »

Ah yeah, perhaps so what with the Navy and all involved. I kinda think of GE as being the last time we had a great big whopping villain's lair at the end and biiiig brassy sequences throughout... and it being entertaining.

But yes, TND obviously has a lot more DNA in that field. Funnily enough its storytelling is ripped straight from Thunderball insofar as we know the entire villain's gambit before Bond does, up to the point that we see everything he has to discover. If this film doesn't make that horrendous error then it's a tick.
  • David Walliams liked it. (Wonder if he's 'hosting' at the premiere again?)

I saw the new @007 film 'SPECTRE' tonight. Sam Mendes & Daniel Craig have delivered another masterpiece, richer & darker than the last.

Ah yeah, perhaps so what with the Navy and all involved. I kinda think of GE as being the last time we had a great big whopping villain's lair at the end and biiiig brassy sequences throughout... and it being entertaining.

But yes, TND obviously has a lot more DNA in that field. Funnily enough its storytelling is ripped straight from Thunderball insofar as we know the entire villain's gambit before Bond does, up to the point that we see everything he has to discover. If this film doesn't make that horrendous error then it's a tick.

Sorry, yes I get your point on the villain's lair last seen in GE. Haven't seen much of the one in SP yet. Wonder if the interior will look like a modern office block like Trevelyans?!!
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    David Walliams liked it. (Wonder if he's 'hosting' at the premiere again?)

I saw the new @007 film 'SPECTRE' tonight. Sam Mendes & Daniel Craig have delivered another masterpiece, richer & darker than the last.

He says richer and darker and others say sparser and lighter! I suspect this film is going to be debated for years then as to which camp it resides in!
    I predicted from the start this one would divide opinions heavily.

Sorry, yes I get your point on the villain's lair last seen in GE. Haven't seen much of the one in SP yet. Wonder if the interior will look like a modern office block like Trevelyans?!!

The "lair" would seemingly be that building inside the volcano (is it actually a volcano) in the desert. Hopefully it'll be suitably baddie-lair-ish. And remember baddies, colour coded uniforms please for when Bond and his gang attack!

• I think the last proper over the top Bond that we had was Goldeneye. Every one of Brosnan's films tried to go that route (although TWINE's always felt a bit more dialed down even though Renard was trying to blow up an entire city), but Goldeneye was the only one that seemed to make the stakes seem real to Bond rather than just a massive shoot out with a bunch of face less goons at the end of the film.

TND is a film that I always have mixed feelings on because the first half is great, but the 2nd half is awful.

I'm very excited for SPECTRE. It'll be tough for it to top CR for me, but every review I've read seems like they went the route with this film that I was hoping they'd go.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    The London metro gave spectre 4/5. Very good review which pleases me, especially as it's on page 3 for most of London to see.
    edited October 2015 Posts: 9,020
    The Germans and Swiss got their press-screening yesterday.

As usual the most important newspaper in Switzerland "Tages-Anzeiger" has a review that doesn't compare the new film to others and looks at it quite objectively.

Summary: Spectre is a classic James Bond film with all the beloved iconic things that we haven't seen in ages in a Bond movie, over-the-top action and still it has the melancholic, brooding James Bond in the midst of all this.

It's a great review! Maybe the best I have read so far because it doesn't sound like a commercial or like a sour trade of hate like so many of the english written ones sound that I have read!

Here is the link as this forum has a couple of German members or people who master German.

tagesanzeiger.ch/kultur/kino/bond-und-die-lebenden-toten/story/19316709
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Maybe the best I have read so far because it doesn't sound like a commercial or like a sour trade of hate like so many of the english written ones sound that I have read!

I haven't read any of the reviews but have been perusing this thread from time to time.

That is very refreshing to hear, because there is an excess (understandable) of fanboy enthusiasm both here and among many of the UK reviews (again, to be expected. This is Bond after all). At the end of it all, some tempered objectivity is much appreciated. I really do feel like I'm reading a 'commercial' sometimes, or alternatively 'unwarranted hate'.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Maybe the best I have read so far because it doesn't sound like a commercial or like a sour trade of hate like so many of the english written ones sound that I have read!

I haven't read any of the reviews but have been perusing this thread from time to time.

That is very refreshing to hear, because there is an excess (understandable) of fanboy enthusiasm both here and among many of the UK reviews (again, to be expected. This is Bond after all). At the end of it all, some tempered objectivity is much appreciated. I really do feel like I'm reading a 'commercial' sometimes, or alternatively 'unwarranted hate'.

This^
    So much agreement,
    Objectivity within a fan forum maybe close to an Oxymoron but it's a fair point. Passions are high and opinions are strong. At the end of the day, it's a piece of art. Nothing more, nothing less
    I have to translate one section of the Swiss Tages-Anzeiger review because it's so sweet :x
    mind you, it's a tiny little spoiler of one particular short scene so I hide it in the spoiler.
    "Und einmal spricht er mit einem Mäuschen. Ja, eine kleine, neckische Maus mit schwarzen Augen schaut den besten Geheimagenten der Welt an, als sei dieser ein grosser Käse. Der senkt prompt die Pistole, mit der er das Tier eigentlich wegpusten wollte."

"And once (Bond) speaks to a little mouse. Yes, a tiny playful mousie with black little eyes looks at the best spy of the world, as if he was a big cheese. (Bond) promptly lowers his gun with which he actually wanted to blow the pet away."[/spoiler]
  • Kermodes review at 2, live on bbc radio 5