SPECTRE: So who's going to play Ernst?

Comments

• SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited October 2015 Posts: 2,138
    RC7 wrote: »
    Ask yourself. In all the PR for the movie. Interviews and trailers. Where is Andrew Scott? His role has been played down, EON have granted no journos interviews with Scott to discuss Spectre despite all other cast members giving promotional interviews or discussion their parts. I have read no leaks I can see the obvious.

Ask yourself, where is Ben Whishaw? Unlike Scott he's credited on the poster. He must be Blofeld?

HA! However Wishaw has spoken about Spectre https://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=11780&t=bond&s=main

Plus we already know he's Q and what his character is all about. Apart from Scott saying he works at Whitehall nothing of his character has been given away. Scott never auditioned for his character, EON approached hin for the specific role in mind. Oh why would you approach a modern great TV villain for a specific role than audition unless you have something specific in mind and know the actor your approaching is just what you feel you need. Waltz is a red herring, Scott is an enemy within orchestrating everything for SPECTRE
    would not suprise me if Scott 's character is Waltz 's son, Bond kills Waltz at the end of the film. Scott takes his father's throne as head of SPECTRE and will look to avenge his father, Scott 's true identity Blofeld his mother's maiden name. TBC in Bond 26 Dan's last film Bond and Blofeld head to head

You do understand how ludicrous that sounds?

To you, Spectre and Qauntum are organisations "we have people everywhere" we already know they have infiltrated MI6 and the government before Hanes & Mitchell
    Why would also be ludicrous for a Spectre agent intrusted with infiltrating MI6 to be the flesh and blood of its current leader, organised crime historically has been a family thing look at the mafia and Triads. Oberhauser role is going to be that of the jealous bo6, jealous that when Bonds parents died his father in his eyes favoured Bond rather than be a real father to him.
    you may not agree with my points but just to say it's ludicrous shows you haven't the imagination to think like a script writter . This film has a major twist just like in Skyfall when they tried to hide the fact Dame Judi would die. Had I posted that back before Skyfall 's release you would have probably called that ludicrous as well.
  • RC7RC7
    Ask yourself. In all the PR for the movie. Interviews and trailers. Where is Andrew Scott? His role has been played down, EON have granted no journos interviews with Scott to discuss Spectre despite all other cast members giving promotional interviews or discussion their parts. I have read no leaks I can see the obvious.

Ask yourself, where is Ben Whishaw? Unlike Scott he's credited on the poster. He must be Blofeld?

HA! However Wishaw has spoken about Spectre https://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=11780&t=bond&s=main

Plus we already know he's Q and what his character is all about. Apart from Scott saying he works at Whitehall nothing of his character has been given away. Scott never auditioned for his character, EON approached hin for the specific role in mind. Oh why would you approach a modern great TV villain for a specific role than audition unless you have something specific in mind and know the actor your approaching is just what you feel you need. Waltz is a red herring, Scott is an enemy within orchestrating everything for SPECTRE
    would not suprise me if Scott 's character is Waltz 's son, Bond kills Waltz at the end of the film. Scott takes his father's throne as head of SPECTRE and will look to avenge his father, Scott 's true identity Blofeld his mother's maiden name. TBC in Bond 26 Dan's last film Bond and Blofeld head to head

To you, Spectre and Qauntum are organisations "we have people everywhere" we already know they have infiltrated MI6 and the government before Hanes & Mitchell
    Why would also be ludicrous for a Spectre agent intrusted with infiltrating MI6 to be the flesh and blood of its current leader, organised crime historically has been a family thing look at the mafia and Triads. Oberhauser role is going to be that of the jealous bo6, jealous that when Bonds parents died his father in his eyes favoured Bond rather than be a real father to him.
    you may not agree with my points but just to say it's ludicrous shows you haven't the imagination to think like a script writter . This film has a major twist just like in Skyfall when they tried to hide the fact Dame Judi would die. Had I posted that back before Skyfall 's release you would have probably called that ludicrous as well.

I was referring to the idea of Waltz as a 'red herring', not the concept of Scott being the big bad. That is what I find ludicrous. Not from a literal narrative perspective, but from a dramatic/commercial perspective. I just don't see someone hiring a multiple Oscar winner to have him supplanted by a TV actor. It could happen, anything could happen, but it would be an almighty waste and clichéd beyond belief. Having an absolute barrage of red herrings to divert attention away from Scott purely to satisfy a route one twist is poor screenwriting. It's fan fic.

As for lacking the imagination to be a screen writer, you might want to have a word with the people who pay me to do it.

And no, I wouldn't have called the idea of M's death ludicrous. It's conceptually very different to what we have here with Waltz.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Denbigh ending up being Blofeld would be so lame. It's like if Dominic Greene ended up being Red Grant. Waltz is Blofeld. He's got the look, the menace and the Nehru jacket.

And looks like how Fleming described Blofeld in OHMSS.
    rYRqtZS.jpg?1
    2AC31EB100000578-0-image-a-10_1437605938070.jpg

I was referring to the idea of Waltz as a 'red herring', not the concept of Scott being the big bad. That is what I find ludicrous. Not from a literal narrative perspective, but from a dramatic/commercial perspective. I just don't see someone hiring a multiple Oscar winner to have him supplanted by a TV actor. It could happen, anything could happen, but it would be an almighty waste and clichéd beyond belief. Having an absolute barrage of red herrings to divert attention away from Scott purely to satisfy a route one twist is poor screenwriting. It's fan fic.

As for lacking the imagination to be a screen writer, you might want to have a word with the people who pay me to do it.

And no, I wouldn't have called the idea of M's death ludicrous. It's conceptually very different to what we have here with Waltz.

It's Andrew Scott's fan fic. The idea of Scott being Blofeld is very popular among his fans. And I don't think he was a very convincing Moriarty.
    Hold on Andrew Scott is hot property he may have started in TV but so did Daniel Craig and so did his Sherlock counter part Benedict Cumberbach some sherlock fans would tell you at times on screen Scott out shone Benedict. If your basing it on the collar of Jacket alone I don't think it's me should stop being rediculous. When Sam said Spectre is an origin story, I think it also means the origin on Spectre. This is Bonds 1st encounter, I think that it will the back story of how Blofeld came to be and why he is Bonds arch nemesis. I think that making Blofeld, Bond's long lost foster brother is very cheesier and even more rediculous I believe Oberhauser is responsible for the dissolving of Qauntum, (White is clearly in hiding) and Spectre is the phenoix from the flames. But I don't believe Oberhauser will be Blofeld, I believe Scott is. And that he will be Oberhausers successor and that Bond will go head to head with Scott ' s Blofeld in Bond 26 in a spectacular finale to end of Dan's tenure.
    I haven't witnessed...I could not foresee such craziness, anticipation and speculation for a Bond villain in my entire lifetime. It's rather insane really, but also lovely discussion material for Bond fans :-).

Just check various media websites, movie articles and short newspaper insights about the character of Blofeld. I think it's safe to assume that deep in our underbellies we truly missed our beloved...Blofeld :D.

And I'm going to add something to it. I really believe that "SPECTRE" will not just be a terrific Bond-film, but also a terrific new addition to the S.P.E.C.T.R.E.-canon of films. It was such a long wait. But I think it's safe to say: Welcome back Ernst! You were greatly missed. Please make life uncomfortable for 007! 8-X
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    To cast Andrew Scott for a minor unimportant role in a James Bond movie would be like casting Eva Green for a Bond movie and give her 5 minutes screen time with nothing to do.

I have seen Sherlock of course and other stuff Scott starred in and he is hot property, very hot.
    He can steal a scene even from Cumberbatch, yes.
    Hold on Andrew Scott is hot property he may have started in TV but so did Daniel Craig and so did his Sherlock counter part Benedict Cumberbach some sherlock fans would tell you at times on screen Scott out shone Benedict. If your basing it on the collar of Jacket alone I don't think it's me should stop being rediculous. When Sam said Spectre is an origin story, I think it also means the origin on Spectre. This is Bonds 1st encounter, I think that it will the back story of how Blofeld came to be and why he is Bonds arch nemesis. I think that making Blofeld, Bond's long lost foster brother is very cheesier and even more rediculous I believe Oberhauser is responsible for the dissolving of Qauntum, (White is clearly in hiding) and Spectre is the phenoix from the flames. But I don't believe Oberhauser will be Blofeld, I believe Scott is. And that he will be Oberhausers successor and that Bond will go head to head with Scott ' s Blofeld in Bond 26 in a spectacular finale to end of Dan's tenure.

Scott may be hot property but he ain't Waltz. The evidence does not lead to Scott being Blofeld so far. And let's remember how positive fans and critics were when Ben Kingsley turned out to be not the mandarin in Iron Man 3.
  • Thunderball007Thunderball007 United States
    I just love how Mr. Christoph Waltz says, "the author of all your pain." Lol!

I am not sure who is portraying Ernst Stavro Blofeld, but I can't wait to see!
  • RC7RC7
    To cast Andrew Scott for a minor unimportant role in a James Bond movie would be like casting Eva Green for a Bond movie and give her 5 minutes screen time with nothing to do.

I have seen Sherlock of course and other stuff Scott starred in and he is hot property, very hot.

This film has got Christoph Waltz in it. Christoph Waltz. Why are you fixating on a TV and Theatre actor whose most famous role is already that of 'arch-nemesis' to one of the most popular fictional characters of all time? Yes, he is in some memorable scenes. Yes, he's a talented actor. But keeper of the biggest reveal in Bond history? I just don't buy it, nor do I think it's in any way exciting.
  • RC7RC7
    edited October 2015 Posts: 10,512

I cannot wait to hear his dialogue. I imagine this film is going to be bursting with quotable lines, thanks largely to his performance.
  • Thunderball007Thunderball007 United States

I cannot wait to hear his dialogue. I imagine this film is going to be bursting with quotable lines, thanks largely to his performance.

Lol! I feel exactly as you do. I am already quoting it. Mr. Waltz will have astoundingly resonant dialogue. :)
  • RC7RC7
    Ludovico wrote: »

Scott may be hot property but he ain't Waltz. The evidence does not lead to Scott being Blofeld so far. And let's remember how positive fans and critics were when Ben Kingsley turned out to be not the mandarin in Iron Man 3.

If he was Blofeld it would've leaked through the mainstream press. It's like Smith was always the frontrunner for the song. Harris was always going to be MP and M was always going to die. The fans inadvertently do EON's work for them by pedalling any and every rumour that can be conceived of. All it took was one sardonic tweet for the Radiohead + Smith + Goulding concept to gather credence on a new level, despite me and others making it quite clear that the tweeter was a Bond fan who used to frequent forums back in the day.

I guess people just believe what they want to believe, regardless of evidence or rationale. I only believe Waltz is Blofeld because there's a wealth of evidence that suggests so.

On top of that it's CHRISTOPH FRICKIN WALTZ! Who doesn't want to see this man as Blofeld? Seriously, who honestly does not want to see one of the greatest actors of his generation play arguably the greatest villain in the series? Show yourselves.
    GUYS! I posted a cheer-up earlier :-P

This film has got Christoph Waltz in it. Christoph Waltz. Why are you fixating on a TV and Theatre actor whose most famous role is already that of 'arch-nemesis' to one of the most popular fictional characters of all time? Yes, he is in some memorable scenes. Yes, he's a talented actor. But keeper of the biggest reveal in Bond history? I just don't buy it, nor do I think it's in any way exciting.

I'm not fixating, I'm just excited that Andrew Scott ended up in a Bond movie and knowing how truly amazing he is as a baddie I would find it strange if he just got wasted with a minor role.

I may have said at one point in the past that he could be Blofeld but I'm certainly not convinced of that.

Maybe he is a baddie in the background or a political opponent to M. We'll see.

As for Waltz, he can play the big role and nonetheless not be the main villain.
    Just think of TWINE's plot.
  • RC7RC7
    edited October 2015 Posts: 10,512

I'm not fixating, I'm just excited that Andrew Scott ended up in a Bond movie and knowing how truly amazing he is as a baddie I would find it strange if he just got wasted with a minor role.

I may have said at one point in the past that he could be Blofeld but I'm certainly not convinced of that.

Maybe he is a baddie in the background or a political opponent to M. We'll see.

As for Waltz, he can play the big role and nonetheless not be the main villain.
    Just think of TWINE's plot.

Agree with both of the bolded points. I said at the time I was very excited to see him in a Bond film and I think he'll be a great addition to the pantheon of villainous characters. I can absolutely see him as M's opponent in this film, being the 'political force' so to speak. There's even a glimpse of the two facing off in the trailer. I don't see it being a minor role in terms of narrative, but potentially screen time. Remember, we have Craig, Waltz, Seydoux, Whishaw, Harris, Bautista, Bellucci, and Fiennes. They are all billed on the poster. On top of this we have Kinnear, Sigman and Christensen. Scott may fall somewhere between the two, but that doesn't mean he is wasted. Christensen is one of the most memorable characters of the series and has minimal screen time in both CR and QoS.

This is Bonds 1st encounter, I think that it will the back story of how Blofeld came to be and why he is Bonds arch nemesis.

This is similar to how I see it, but to me this points even more to Waltz and not at all to Scott. I believe the origin is the origin of Blofeld, not SPECTRE. The dialogue and scenes we've been privy to lead me to believe SPECTRE has been around for some time, 'the author of all your pain' being significant. Then we have White. There's nothing explicitly tying him to Quantum, he could easily have been a SPECTRE operative since before CR. I don't even believe they'll address Quantum explicitly. I think this will be about Waltz being 'everywhere', not a breakdown of how his organisation functions, but I could be wrong.
    edited October 2015 Posts: 9,020
    Be it as it may, one thing is for sure, this is all very exciting and will add to the suspense of seeing Spectre for the first time :)
    I will cherish every second of it.
  • RC7RC7
    Be it as it may, one thing is for sure, this is all very exciting and will add to the suspense of seeing Spectre for the first time :)

Me too. However it plays out, I just hope Waltz is as awesome as I picture in my mind.

Me too. However it plays out, I just hope Waltz is as awesome as I picture in my mind.

I'm sure Spectre has the best ensemble cast ever in a Bond movie.
    Waltz will be brilliant there I have no worries.
    I'm more worried about Bellucci just having little screen time or get wasted story wise. That would be a shame. I'm a big fan of hers.
  • RC7RC7

I'm more worried about Bellucci just having little screen time or get wasted story wise. That would be a shame. I'm a big fan of hers.

There's a lot of talent to squeeze in. Hopefully they will all have at least one memorable scene.
    We wont have long to wait, well here in the UK anyway 8-X
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

There's a lot of talent to squeeze in. Hopefully they will all have at least one memorable scene.

There's not much I'm sure about with SP, but if there's one thing I'm 100% certain of it is this.... Sam Mendes will deliver in this respect, if nothing else.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited October 2015 Posts: 4,343

You're right the cast is amazing. What about Monica? She's a real beauty, she's hot etc etc but as an actress she's bad. Sometimes I think that her english is better than her italian. If you hear how she dubbed herself in the second trailer... oh my gosh...

Speculating about Blofeld... you don't cast one of the best actors in the world in a movie called Spectre and you "just" let him play the son of Hannes Oberhauser... Waltz is definitely Blofeld IMHO and Scott would be a kind of "anti-M"... I remember an interview back when they were shooting in Mexico City in which Waltz - speaking about his character - said: "Maybe even him [Oberhauser] doesn't know who really is"...
    Good question @RC7.

I was thinking the same thing, as I posted the same question also in the "Who's That Bullet For" topic.

@RC7? Are you excited about the prospect that you....could be right now ;-)?
    Do you think it will be executed with better taste and with more originality as opposed to the Khan reveal in "Star Trek Into Darkness"?

I'm excited at the prospect of him playing Blofeld. Nothing else makes sense to me dramatically. He's the ideal candidate right now. I want to look back in 10, 20, 30 years and watch him killing it.

Well, when I created this topic I thought on numerous occasions that Christoph Waltz would actually be the perfect Blofeld. I absolutely agree with you. My prediction even goes back to 2012/2013.

But then it came out that Christoph Waltz was going to play a different character from Fleming's work: Oberhauser. And I actually thought....that would be very interesting. Because from the short novel "Octopussy" we know there's a close family relationship between the Bond's and the Oberhauser's.

At the same time I got a bit wary. Because the "Star Trek Into Darkness" plotline got mentioned as an example on how Blofeld could be re-introduced. And thát particular plot element didn't excite me so much. I actually -still- hope for a very slow and mysterious introduction of the character, like it was executed in the Bond films FRWL. TB and YOLT.

That particular plot outline would also introduce the possibility of several returns in the Bond franchise of actor Christoph Waltz. Alas, that doesn't seem the case right now. And as of today I am still puzzled why journalists are not asking Waltz the question: "Did you sign a contract with EON for more Bond films? Will you appear in more Bond films?"

Because I don't think it's easy to get Waltz back film after film. So in the end, now we know what character Waltz will be playing 'officially' (Oberhauser), I would have liked a relatively unknown actor to play Blofeld. Similar to how Craig got casted for the role. That prospect would seem a bit more believable for me....and also a bit more fun.

IF Waltz is indeed Blofeld, then I do NOT want a cheap explanation for the name Oberhauser, an explanation that is similar to how it was done in "Star Trek Into Darkness". So I sincerely ho
    Good question @RC7.

I was thinking the same thing, as I posted the same question also in the "Who's That Bullet For" topic.

Do you think it will be executed with better taste and with more originality as opposed to the Khan reveal in "Star Trek Into Darkness"?

I'm excited at the prospect of him playing Blofeld. Nothing else makes sense to me dramatically. He's the ideal candidate right now. I want to look back in 10, 20, 30 years and watch him killing it.

Well, when I created this topic I thought on numerous occasions that Christoph Waltz would actually be the perfect Blofeld. I absolutely agree with you. My prediction even goes back to 2012/2013.

But then it came out that Christoph Waltz was going to play a different character from Fleming's work: Oberhauser. And I actually thought....that would be very interesting. Because from the short novel "Octopussy" we know there's a close family relation
    Good question @RC7.

But then it came out that Christoph Waltz was going to play a different character from Fleming's work: Oberhauser. And I actually thought....that would be very interesting. Because from the short novel "Octopussy" we know there's a close family relationship between the Bond's and the Oberhauser's.

At the same time I got a bit wary. Because the "Star Trek Into Darkness" plotline got mentioned as an example on how Blofeld could be re-introduced. And thát particular plot element didn't excite me so much. I actually -still- hope for a very slow and mysterious introduction of the character, like it was executed in the Bond films FRWL. TB and YOLT.

That particular plot outline would also introduce the possibility of several returns in the Bond franchise of actor Christoph Waltz. Alas, that doesn't seem the case right now. And as of today I am still puzzled why journalists are not asking Waltz the question: "Did you sign a contract with EON for more Bond films? Will you appear in more Bond films?"

Because I don't think it's easy to get Waltz back film after film. So in the end, now we know what character Waltz will be playing 'officially' (Oberhauser), I would have liked a relatively unknown actor to play Blofeld. Similar to how Craig got casted for the role. That prospect would seem a bit more believable for me....and also a bit more fun.

IF Waltz is indeed Blofeld, then I do NOT want a cheap explanation for the name Oberhauser, an explanation that is similar to how it was done in "Star Trek Into Darkness". So I sincerely hope a more realistic explanation will be introduced near the end of the film for the 'Oberhauser turns into Blofeld'-narrative.

--> Perhaps it will be the introduction of more realistic plastic surgery near the end of the film, in which the Höffler Klinik plays a role. Perhaps there his scar gets removed and gets a complete new identity.
    --> But since there is a real historical connection between Bond and Oberhauser, I expect Oberhauser going 'underground' and getting a complete new identity..that of Ernst Stavro Blofeld. And perhaps thát particular Blofeld already got killed by Hinx during this scene:
    i0KIV9.jpg
    --> And there still is a possibility that Oberhauser simply stays.......Oberhauser. And that he will be a scarred Oberhauser near the end of the film. And that Oberhauser is severely helping his protégé Max Denbigh/Ernst Blofeld.

In any case, I hope the entire explanation for the 'Oberhauser becomes Blofeld'-narrative will be believable...and MUCH beter executed as opposed to the events from "Star Trek Into Darkness". That film got a lot of backlash from their fans....

I was wondering what people thought of my worries in one of my previous posts (see self quote above). Are there people who....actually agree with me?
    As a Trekkie I have to disagree. That backlash only happened on social media.
    Outside that the Khan thing was not even a topic. It was clear long before Star Trek Into Darkness hit the theaters that Cumberbatch is Khan.

Into Darkness is generally viewed as being great, at least that's what I'm experiencing when looking at customer reviews of it.

As for Blofeld, if this is a big plot twist only to be revealed in the movie, then we have to live with the producer's decision to have that this way.
    One can only hope it will be comprehensible and believable.

For me it is very obvious by now, that only the script could weaken Spectre overall.

The cast, the production value, the costumes, the locations, look like Spectre will be the best Bond ever.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    For me it is very obvious by now, that only the script could weaken Spectre overall.

The cast, the production value, the costumes, the locations, look like Spectre will be the best Bond ever.

So true.
    matt_u wrote: »

You're right the cast is amazing. What about Monica? She's a real beauty, she's hot etc etc but as an actress she's bad. Sometimes I think that her english is better than her italian. If you hear how she dubbed herself in the second trailer... oh my gosh...

Speculating about Blofeld... you don't cast one of the best actors in the world in a movie called Spectre and you "just" let him play the son of Hannes Oberhauser... Waltz is definitely Blofeld IMHO and Scott would be a kind of "anti-M"... I remember an interview back when they were shooting in Mexico City in which Waltz - speaking about his character - said: "Maybe even him [Oberhauser] doesn't know who really is"...

You don't cast the biggest actress in Holywood at the time and kill her in 15 minutes.. no wait Hitchcock did with Janet Leigh in Psycho..it's the movie business. Nobody is saying Waltz is just Oberhauser son. He may be the head of Spectre at the start of the film, he may be head of Qauntum, after all he does say "it's was me James, the author of all your pain". If he means Vesper etc that was Qauntums people not Spectre. But as I said we will soon find out. I really can't see Waltz do more than one Bond movie, I can see Scott doing more than one. You don't bring back Spectre for one film, not after all that it took to finally secure the rights from the McClory estate. And as I said previously Scott has not been allowed to give insight in to his character, the rest of the cast have Waltz included.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm sure a few didn't think Ralph Fiennes would do more than one film.