SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

You are right GG. Hopefully the 6-7 weeks will give them what they need to hit a big BO number. I don't think Peanuts or Hunger games overlaps much, but the Martian and Bridge of Spys could impact from the other end. It's just going to be hard to make that big $1b figure. It would be a huge accomplishment for a Bond film that is not 100% action, to do it twice. If it does hit big again, I think it would put huge pressure on EON to bring back both Mendes and Craig for a 3 picture arc.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Bond almost always relies on time in theatres to get its gross in N.A., and SF was no exception. That is the big "?" regarding this year. Will it get that chance to stay in the best theatres for as long as it traditionally needs to pull in its numbers (a'la Kingsman), or will it get booted out sooner. That will probably depend on how its gross holds up over time.

I saw SF drop but hold relatively strong into Christmas (which is traditional for Bond). So it would be good if it could be in decent, pricey theatres come Christmas.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    RC7 wrote: »
    If Spectre cannot make a billion within 6 weeks it has nothing to do with SW.

But I can already see that SW will be the favourite excuse if SP indeed shouldn't make the billion.

Who cares about excuses? If the film is great, f*** it. I know you want EON to fail, but some of us don't.

I want EON to fail? What are you on?

I want Spectre to be the best Bond ever (which it could be potentially) and make 1.5 billion (which it should).

And what has this to do with SW being named as potential threat to SP (which I don't believe)
    bondjames wrote: »
    Bond almost always relies on time in theatres to get its gross in N.A., and SF was no exception. That is the big "?" regarding this year. Will it get that chance to stay in the best theatres for as long as it traditionally needs to pull in its numbers (a'la Kingsman), or will it get booted out sooner. That will probably depend on how its gross holds up over time.

I saw SF drop but hold relatively strong into Christmas (which is traditional for Bond). So it would be good if it could be in decent, pricey theatres come Christmas.

Yes, Thanksgiving week and Christmas/New Years are big BO periods in the NA market. There is so much competition for screens with the tons of Christmas time releases and hold overs, SP needs to really do well early, and also exhibit good legs to hold on to as many theaters as SF did during the critical 2 wk Christmas period.

This US chart of SF's daily BO shows what great legs SF had for months.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=bond23.htm

Skyfall was shown in Switzerland for months, I know many people who went to see it again in late January/February!!
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 11,119
    smitty wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »

Yes, Thanksgiving week and Christmas/New Years are big BO periods in the NA market. There is so much competition for screens with the tons of Christmas time releases and hold overs, SP needs to really do well early, and also exhibit good legs to hold on to as many theaters as SF did during the critical 2 wk Christmas period.

This US chart of SF's daily BO shows what great legs SF had for months.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=bond23.htm

Ooowh, I know that chart. It sure had great legs. But it's not just because of outside factors. SF itself, and I still think many underestimate that, was embraced much more by the public than QOS and even CR. It was an a-typical Bond film. It drew in audiences that normally didn't go see a Bond film.

That same audience still exist. Just look at TDK and its follow-up TDKR. The latter was critically a success too, but will never get the 'evergreen' status that TDK had. Still, it grossed more money than TDK.

Regarding SP vs. SW: The gap between the premieres of these two films is a whopping 6 weeks.

SF vs. "The Hobbit" then. That gap was 5 weeks. And until 18th of December SF already earned $274 Million. I can't seem to see why SP can do that as well....or even more if the theatre count in the US is more.
  • Maybe some of you have already read it, but you have here another interesting article about Spectre box office predictions.
    http://austinmarion.hubpages.com/hub/Spectra-Early-Box-Office-Projections
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 11,119
    Maybe some of you have already read it, but you have here another interesting article about Spectre box office predictions.
    http://austinmarion.hubpages.com/hub/Spectra-Early-Box-Office-Projections

He's predicting more or less the same as what I am predicting :-). Thanks for the link @ChampionAlonso ;-):
    "The domestic gross should fall between $301.2 and $430.6 million"

and
    "Luckily for Spectre it has a nice one-month cushion till the release of what may be the highest grossing film of all time, Star Wars The Force Awakens. With this cushion, the film will have a large chunk of its business in the bank and will not be affected by that release."

And he predicts a worldwide gross of between $1.0 Billion and $1.3 Billion.
  • I would be very happy with $1 billion ww and $300 million domestic .
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I would be very happy with $1 billion ww and $300 million domestic .

Same here. I think this is where it will end up, give or take about $50m.

I would be more than happy with $1b WW, and $300m US. That would be an enormously difficult hat trick to hit that number twice.
  • I just watched "Jurassic World" for the first time on my TV. Found a very good download.

But really, try to see this film from the perspective of a 9-year old guys! I can understand why families loved this film. It was thrilling, exciting, from a young man's viewpoint! It's not too horrific at all. It actually never gets too gory. Instead, we have this wonderful charismatic Chris Pratt! I loved him, and he's a hot candidate to play Indy Jones now. Really the American Daniel Craig so to say :-)!

Nah, I understand completely why this has been such an insane box office hit. People got a bit tired of the comic book genre. And whereas parents get a bit of a retro-vibe with this film, youngsters don't know that! They probably have never seen the first 1993 "Jurassic Park". I say: BRAVO Universal!
  • RC7RC7
    I just watched "Jurassic World" for the first time on my TV. Found a very good download.

But really, try to see this film from the perspective of a 9-year old guys! I can understand why families loved this film. It was thrilling, exciting, from a young man's viewpoint! It's not too horrific at all. It actually never gets too gory. Instead, we have this wonderful charismatic Chris Pratt! I loved him, and he's a hot candidate to play Indy Jones now. Really the American Daniel Craig so to say :-)!

Nah, I understand completely why this has been such an insane box office hit. People got a bit tired of the comic book genre. And whereas parents get a bit of a retro-vibe with this film, youngsters don't know that! They probably have never seen the first 1993 "Jurassic Park". I say: BRAVO Universal!

The fact they've never seen the original Jurassic Park (you're probably right about that) is the most depressing aspect of this. It was like nothing else when it came out, but JW is a reheated reworking, that is ultimately a less engaging movie. Sure, it's frivolous and fun, but it adds nothing to the JP mythos. It's like kids that haven't seen the original Karate Kid, only the one with Will Smith's kid. They should be put down. (Joke).
    I just watched "Jurassic World" for the first time on my TV. Found a very good download.

The fact they've never seen the original Jurassic Park (you're probably right about that) is the most depressing aspect of this. It was like nothing else when it came out, but JW is a reheated reworking, that is ultimately a less engaging movie. Sure, it's frivolous and fun, but it adds nothing to the JP mythos. It's like kids that haven't seen the original Karate Kid, only the one with Will Smith's kid. They should be put down. (Joke).

Or some of the punk SF fans who haven't had the privilege (or decency) to sit through an early Sean Connery Bond film.
  • Let's have a look at the top grossing blockbusters of this year so far :-) (Tuesday September 15th 2015):

01. --> $ 1,655,908,885: "Jurassic World" (Production budget: $ 215 Million. Now the highest grossing film of 2015, 3rd highest grossing film ever)??)
    $ 648,908,885: Box office USA
    $ 228,740,000: Box office China
    $ 778,260,000: Rest of the world

02. --> $ 1,514,641,792: "Furious 7" (Production budget: $ 275 Million. They just passed "The Avengers" in The 5th highest grossing film on the 'All Time Global Box Office Ranking'.)
    $ 352,600,000: Box office USA
    $ 390,910,000: Box office China
    $ 771,131,792: Rest of the world

03. --> $ 1,402,382,882: "Avengers 2: Age Of Ultron" (Production budget: $ 340 Million. Now the 6th film in the global 'All Time' ranking!)
    $ 458,582,882: Box office USA
    $ 240,110,000: Box office China
    $ 703,690,000: Rest of the world

04. --> $ 1,080,140,785: "Minions" (Production budget: $ 150 Million. Passed "Despicable Me 2"s global box office of $ 970 Million. Is now the 4th '1 Billion Dollar' film of 2015)
    $ 331,586,135: Box office USA
    *not opened yet in China*
    $ 748,554,650: Rest of the world

And let's not forget the "Spy Films" of 2015! Now with updated figures on "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." and "M:I 5 - Rogue Nation":

06. --> $ 612,922,923: "Mission: Impossible 5 - Rogue Nation" (Production budget: $ 200 Million. So far slightly less succesful than "M:I 4 - Ghost Protocol", at least in the USA. But that will change with China. Movie now will soar past the $ 750 Million globally)
    $ 188,122,923: Box office USA
    $ 086,000,000: Box office China
    $ 338,800,000: Rest of the world

11. --> $ 408,307,715: "Kingsman: The Secret Service" (Production budget: $ 115 Million. The surprise box office hit of 2015. Over the past four weeks it still earned money: $ 2 Million)
    $ 128,261,724: Box office USA
    $ 074,667,000: Box office China
    $ 205,378,991: Rest of the world

15. --> $ 328,130,237: "Taken 3" (Production budget: $ 83 Million. Not as succesful as "Taken 2", but still grossing well past the $ 300 Million)
    $ 089,256,424: Box office USA
    $ 032,200,000: Box office China
    $ 206,673,813: Rest of the world

20. --> $ 236,156,825 : "Spy" (Production budget: $ 100 Million. Most succesful film ever featuring Melissa McCarthy. Brought in another $ 2 Million over the past four weeks)
    $ 110,648,785: Box office USA
    $ 125,508,040: Rest of the world

37. --> $ 095,001,801 : "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." (Production budget: $ 120 Million. Too early to call it a flop, as the foreign roll-out is just taking place)
    $ 043,101,801 : Box office USA
    $ 051,900,000: Rest of the world

65. --> $ 030,418,560: "Mortdecai" (Production budget: $ 85 Million. Call it a funnier spoof of "Ocean's Eleven" and "The Saint". But, a big flop)
    $ 007,696,134 : Box office USA
    $ 003,530,000: Box office China
    $ 019,192,426: Rest of the world

77. --> $ 019,228,339: "Blackhat" (Production budget: $ 100 Million. And therefore one of the biggest flops of 2015. Entire budget is lost)
    $ 007,889,395: Box office USA
    $ 011,338,944: Rest of the world

88. --> $ 015,569,265: "The Gunman" (Production budget: $ 60 Million. Even a star cast containing Sean Penn, Javier Bardem and Idris Elba couldn't help this film)
    $ 010,664,749: Box office USA
    $ 004,904,516: Rest of the world
  • It's turning into the insane box office year we have all been prediciting back in 2013 no ;-)?
    It's turning into the insane box office year we have all been prediciting back in 2013 no ;-)?

With 3 more movies that will be certain one billion dollar films it is indeed.

The Good Dinosaur
    Spectre
    Star Wars
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 1,021
    Daniel Craig will become the 4th actor to play Bond who has a Bond film competing with a Star Wars film in the same year. Roger Moore battled the force twice...and in one year battled another Bond film aswell...and Piecre battled the force 4 times. A new Star Wars film and the re-issues of the originals!

Roger Moore : The Spy Who Loved Me v's Star Wars
    Octopusssy v's Return The Jedi v's Never Say Never Again

Sean Connery : Never Say Never Again (non EON) v's Return of The Jedi

Pierce Brosnan : Tomorrow Never Dies v's Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back and Return of The Jedi (special editions)
    Die Another Day v's The Phantom Menace

Daniel Craig : Spectre v's Star Wars: The Force Awakens

STAR WARS versus BOND AT THE BOX OFFICE

ON THE 7TH AUGUST 1977 TSWLM KICKED STAR WARS OUT OF THE NUMBER ONE SPOT IN ITS 11TH WEEKEND at the American box office….WITH 6,675,314 US DOLLARS

SPECTRE has plenty of time before the new Star Wars film arrives to make an impact at the US box office. World wide I think SP will go higher than SF.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited September 2015 Posts: 11,139

Agreed. I don't know how anyone over the age of 24 hasn't seen the original JP. Some of the beats JW aped from JP would have totally been lost on them. JP is a classic and I dare say it was probably Spielberg's last Spielbergy movie.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 533
    Considering that "JURASSIC PARK" has been on VHS and DVD for years, there is a chance that many kids have seen the original 1993 movie and the two sequels that followed.

Sure, it's frivolous and fun, but it adds nothing to the JP mythos.

I have to disagree with you there. I thought the movie did.

But I do think "SPECTRE" has a chance to reach the billion dollar mark. But it will have stiff competition against "THE FORCE AWAKENS".
  • RC7RC7
    DRush76 wrote: »

What do you think it added?
    DRush76 wrote: »
    Considering that "JURASSIC PARK" has been on VHS and DVD for years, there is a chance that many kids have seen the original 1993 movie and the two sequels that followed.

I wouldn't be too sure of that.
    With youths (under 25 I'd say) the magic word is NEW CONTENT, that's all what matters.
    They don't buy Blu-rays or DVD's, they download and mostly without paying.
    With music it's even worse, only NEW CONTENT counts. Music is a throw-away item for this generation. And to pay for a single album or song is a concept that is alien to them.
    I am speaking in general here. Of course there are exceptions. If someone happens to become a real fan of movies or music they'll search for the "old" stuff.
  • My 7 year old nephew loves the original JP. After he saw Jurassic World this summer he kept on playing the original over and over again!
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    SP will hit £1b at the box office. The 160 min running time may cause slight issue with the average cinema go'er though......for me brilliant!
  • DRush76 wrote: »

But I do think "SPECTRE" has a chance to reach the billion dollar mark. But it will have stiff competition against "THE FORCE AWAKENS".

That's not true. When "Star Wars 7: The Force Awakens" opens on December 18th, "SPECTRE" is already in cinema's for more than 6 weeks. During those 6 weeks the film will earn 90% or more of its entire run in the USA. After 6 weeks in cinema's in the North-America, "Skyfall" earned $275 Million. During the end of its run (March 2013) "Skyfall" stood at $304 Million.

Combined with a much higher theatre count as opposed to "Skyfall", I could see "SPECTRE" hitting the $300 Million one day before the premiere of "SW". So again, all that 'Star Wars fear' is a bit of nonsense really. In fact, "SPECTRE" has got the chance of hitting nr. 1 again early December.

The reality is that Cinema tickets are more expensive than 3 years ago, so i certainly expect Spectre to surpass £1.2 Billion!
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    The reality is that Cinema tickets are more expensive than 3 years ago, so i certainly expect Spectre to surpass £1.2 Billion!

My Skyfall IMAX ticket was £15, Spectre IMAX tickets cost £22.
    Kananga wrote: »

Exactly my friend!

Exactly my friend!

That's why the only measure of success with a movie is the number of tickets sold.
    Why the US is still holding on to revenue as the measure of success of movies escapes me totally.
    In Germany/Austria/Switzerland movies are measured by number of tickets sold and not Box Office revenue.
    If you look at the Bond movies since 1995 it gives a quite different perspective on success.
    GE to QOS were all more or less on the same level with GE and DAD doing better than CR or QOS only Skyfall did considerably better.
  • RogueAgent wrote: »

Exactly my friend!

That's why the only measure of success with a movie is the number of tickets sold.
    Why the US is still holding on to revenue as the measure of success of movies escapes me totally.
    In Germany/Austria/Switzerland movies are measured by number of tickets sold and not Box Office revenue.
    If you look at the Bond movies since 1995 it gives a quite different perspective on success.
    GE to QOS were all more or less on the same level with GE and DAD doing better than CR or QOS only Skyfall did considerably better.

Interesting @BondJasonBond006 . It's a fact I rarely look at. Do you have a comparison chart of the number of tickets sold in your country from GE to SF?