Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

And please don't start saying Brosnan was like Moore either - he wasn't.

Brosnan deserves his own category - he earned it.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    I would put Dalton and Brosnan in the same bag. Apart from that I don't see any of the Bonds being similar in their portrayal.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited September 2015 Posts: 1,130
    I want a Brosnan/Conneryapproach and I also support this guy. I haven't seen him act but looks wise seems like the perfect choice especially In the first Picture
    I found their approaches quite different to be honest, so I'm not quite sure which your preference is. They were both reasonably tall and had black hair, but from my point of view, the similarities sort of ended there.

I've always felt that Lazenby, Dalton, and even Craig have more similarities with Connery than Brosnan did.

What I meant is that I loved how Connery had a very classicaly handsome look and even though non were exactly as though and intense as Dalton and Craig

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Szonana wrote: »
    I want a Brosnan/Conneryapproach and I also support this guy. I haven't seen him act but looks wise seems like the perfect choice especially In the first Picture
    I found their approaches quite different to be honest, so I'm not quite sure which your preference is. They were both reasonably tall and had black hair, but from my point of view, the similarities sort of ended there.

I've always felt that Lazenby, Dalton, and even Craig have more similarities with Connery than Brosnan did.

What I meant is that I loved how Connery had a very classicaly handsome look and even though non were exactly as though and intense as Dalton and Craig

Ok, thanks, I get it now. Yes, I think inevitably the next actor will be a little more finessed and just a little less intense than DC.

I really think Christian Bale would, even now, be marvelous, even if, due to his age, it's just for one or two 'period piece' Bonds under Nolan's direction. He combines the intensity of Craig with just a touch of required suaveness.

Bale as Wayne had Bond written all over him.
    I would put Dalton and Brosnan in the same bag. Apart from that I don't see any of the Bonds being similar in their portrayal.

I thought Dalton in Vienna in the early part of TLD (with Saunders) was as close to early Connery as I've seen up to then and since. Just that early part. "Bring the chair"
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    bondjames wrote: »

Ok, thanks, I get it now. Yes, I think inevitably the next actor will be a little more finessed and just a little less intense than DC.

I really think Christian Bale would, even now, be marvelous, even if, due to his age, it's just for one or two 'period piece' Bonds under Nolan's direction. He combines the intensity of Craig with just a touch of required suaveness.

Bale as Wayne had Bond written all over him.[/wuote]

I love the idea of Christian Bale, every time I see him clean shaven and In a suit I think of him as as Bond.
    I don't think his age is a problem but more that now he is too famous for Bond if people say not to Cavill for playing Superman well batman is even a bigger deal.

So that's why I never suggested him even though I do love the idea

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited September 2015 Posts: 5,131
    I totally agree, Bale would be a great Bond. He has the acting talent and looks. I've thought this since watching American Psycho. However, unfortunately he won't be due to profile, wages and age. Shame.
  • MrLunnMrLunn Lunnigham
    Thor, the guy has so much charisma. Aiden Turner, Connery vibe. Mr.Elba, got to be. http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gayspy/s116/being-human/i336422/aidan-turner-aidan-in-hattie.htmlaidan-turner-aidan-in-hattie.html
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Went to the cinema this evening.
    I FOUND THE NEW 007 (in my humble opinion)

Dan Stevens has been my favourite so far, now it's

ED SKREIN, born 1983, he's freakin' fantastic

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://youtube.com/embed/weqzAM5LCIY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg
  • MrLunnMrLunn Lunnigham

He would be good in Robin Hood....he could play all the trees in Sherwood Forest, because he has that special wooden acting quality...have you seen him in the deadpool trailer...bad.

Why "period piece" or Nolan specifically, though?

All three interesting ideas separately as well as combined, of course. Not that I could see it actually happening, but interesting all the same.
    I love the idea of Christian Bale, every time I see him clean shaven and In a suit I think of him as as Bond.
    I don't think his age is a problem but more that now he is too famous for Bond if people say not to Cavill for playing Superman well batman is even a bigger deal.

So that's why I never suggested him even though I do love the idea

Yes, obviously not going to happen. But I love the idea, too.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    I totally agree, Bale would be a great Bond. He has the acting talent and looks. I've thought this since watching American Psycho. However, unfortunately he won't be due to profile, wages and age. Shame.

Nolan saw American Psycho, too. ;) That's what got him interested in the actor. (And after thinking of him for a specific role, I suspect Wally Pfister's endorsement of Bale as a person didn't hurt, either.)

I'm not sure wages would necessarily be a major issue (he does movies for next to nothing when he wants to do them, though of course doing something as huge as Bond with a huge budget would be somewhat different), but other stuff would be. I don't know if EON ever even considered him for Bond, but obviously it would have been too late after Nolan got to him in 2003. I can imagine he would have been interested in the type of Bond given to Craig. When asked he has dismissed the idea of himself as Bond, saying Daniel is doing a great job. Which is true. :)
    I'll be watching the Transporter tomorrow, but out of respect for Ray Stevenson (a man who could/should have been Bond in his prime), and not Ed Skrein, who came across like a block of wood in the trailers (the 3 blonde girls were out acting him in the trailer).

My expectations are low, so I may be impressed and will report back later tomorrow.
    Tuulia wrote: »

Why "period piece" or Nolan specifically, though?

All three interesting ideas separately as well as combined, of course. Not that I could see it actually happening, but interesting all the same.

A good question. While I was writing my response above, I felt that Nolan could only make a Bond period piece, assuming he gets the job in the next few years.

My thinking is based on the fact that Bond's inner demons will by then have fully been exposed and addressed by Craig/Mendes and crew & the reboot generally, so there isn't anything for Nolan to delve into.

A period piece on the other hand, could allow him more creative freedom to do his best work. However, it would likely work best as a standalone film or a two parter or something like that. That also lends itself to Bale, who could do a short run as Bond in a different vein to Craig and still make his mark.

It obviously is very unlikely to happen, but I would like it to.
    @bondjames, ok, I see. Interesting ideas.
    Ed Skrein certainly seems to have mastered the "intense, slightly-above whisper talk." Though that could also be attributed to a bad directorial decision.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://youtube.com/embed/weqzAM5LCIY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

Not bad at all
    I like him, he is a great Balance between Both versions of Bond the more slick, suave and classically handsome and the hard edge.
    Nice pick very nice pick

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Ed Skrein is a terrible choice.

Too old and too Wolverine. Had he been an unknown in 2005 he could have become Bond then. Now his name is thrown in for the sake of it I think.
    He was seriously considered in 2005, but Barbara Broccoli allegedly found him too 'fey'
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 1,661
    What's with the weird actor names of late! Idris Elba sounds like the leader of some banana republic and Ed Skrein sounds like some US serial killer.

:))

Mr Skrein looks like a mix of Jude Law and Luke Goss. He should change his surname and who knows, he might be in with a shot after Craig leaves.

fanbond123 wrote: »
    Ed Skrein sounds like some US serial killer.

:))

Mr Skrein looks like a mix of Jude Law and Luke Goss. He should change his surname and who knows, he might be in with a shot after Craig leaves.

I just saw the Transporter and I'm quite sure Skrein is not going to come anywhere near a Bond film except as a henchman, and it has nothing to do with his name sounding like a serial killer. He was horrendous imho. Stodgy & leaden, he was upstaged by Stevenson as his dad and some actresses for whom English is not a first language.

I never thought I'd say this, but I missed Jason Statham.
    STOP THE PRESS - BREAKING NEWS - JUST IN

DANIEL CRAIG HAS STEPPED DOWN FROM THE ROLE

PRESENTING THE NEW 007:

full.jpg
    edited September 2015 Posts: 9,020
    SHOOT, THERE WAS A MIXUP

HERE IS THE ONE THAT ACTUALLY IS

THE NEW 007:

full.jpg
    DAMN, WHEN WILL I GET THIS RIGHT

HERE IS THE REAL

NEW 007:

full.jpg
    This man makes his own argument, simply walking down the street:
    tom-hiddleston-wears-a-suit-better-than-anyone-else-15.jpg
    tom-hiddleston-wears-a-suit-better-than-anyone-else-04.jpg
    tom-hiddleston-wears-a-suit-better-than-anyone-else-07.jpg

Just look at him! (He's 34).. maybe I'm okay if Spectre is Craig's last.
  • JWESTBROOK wrote: »
    This man makes his own argument, simply walking down the street:
    tom-hiddleston-wears-a-suit-better-than-anyone-else-15.jpg
    tom-hiddleston-wears-a-suit-better-than-anyone-else-04.jpg
    tom-hiddleston-wears-a-suit-better-than-anyone-else-07.jpg

Just look at him! (He's 34).. maybe I'm okay if Spectre is Craig's last.

I like Tom Hiddleston a lot as an actor but I just don't see him as Bond. He's too effeminate and boyish-looking for me to buy him as a hardened government killer. I don't want to go back to the metrosexual Bond.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    He
    Murdock wrote: »
    I'd like Tom Hiddleston as Bond. He'd really mix it up and would get him out of villain typcasting. ;)

He seems to have such a childish face to me though. Dunno, could be just me.

He looks like he has a perpetual puzzled look to me. Being flippant but still...
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 5,745
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    He
    I'd like Tom Hiddleston as Bond. He'd really mix it up and would get him out of villain typcasting. ;)

He looks like he has a perpetual puzzled look to me. Being flippant but still...

I see it as always having a joke in his head. A hint of cynical sarcasm brewing. He reminds me of Moore - but we know he can do a very serious role thanks to his great turn as Loki.

I dunno, he isn't going to be Craig 2.0 - and he shouldn't be.

Also, you want your Bond to JUST be a hardened government killer? Even the Craig films are moving away from that. Bond has fun. Connery always looked like he was having a good time, which is what I see in Tom.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 5,745
    Here he is NOT smiling, if it helps:
    d0d7248a8a50.gif
    b865451ae32e8610fff9f4da5b9df8c3.jpg
    Greg Williams, of Bond On Set fame, is responsible for some of these:
    9iG6S6N.jpg
    GUESSPortraitStudioatTIFF_PhotoCredit-CharlesLeonio_GettyImagesforGUESS_Sept6_TomHiddleston.jpg
    TOM-HI.jpg
    tumblr_mywrnmvOIe1rz0ey2o7_500.png
    tumblr_mbl72z7Xfv1rvhbloo1_500.jpg
    TOM-HIDDL.jpg
  • JWESTBROOK wrote: »
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    He

I see it as always having a joke in his head. A hint of cynical sarcasm brewing. He reminds me of Moore - but we know he can do a very serious role thanks to his great turn as Loki.

I dunno, he isn't going to be Craig 2.0 - and he shouldn't be.

Also, you want your Bond to JUST be a hardened government killer? Even the Craig films are moving away from that. Bond has fun. Connery always looked like he was having a good time, which is what I see in Tom.

I like my Bond to have fun but I also like him to be able to look like he can beat a man to death with his bare hands. Yes coming from a Roger Moore fan that sounds a little misguided but there was just something special about Sir Rog.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm sold on Hiddleston.