SPECTRE: Christoph Waltz's role - discussion

Comments

• RC7RC7
    Ludovico wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    I for one think Franz Oberhauser has been dead for some time. And Bond does not even seem to remember the picture anyway, so how easy it would be for Blofeld to assume a dead man's identity.

I'd prefer this, but I have a feeling it'll be more soap opera.

I don't know. Blofeld and other Bond villains have an habit of usurping identities. Or inventing new ones from scratch. I don't think Franz Oberhauser is related to Bond by blood anyway. And if Bond is confused about the picture, he must not have been that close to him in any case.

Certainly no blood relative, that wouldn't make any sense. However, I'm still worried Oberhauser is actually Blofeld, rather than a ruse. See my comments above for reasoning.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    It's john Harrison
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    If someone thinks Waltz is not Blofeld after the teaser, they are just clutching at straws.
  • aaron819aaron819 Switzerland
    I think we will just have to wait for the movie to see if he is Blofeld or not.

There are a lot of options and opinions on what character Waltz is playing. It is all speculation.

I think we will just have to wait for October/November.

Let's just hope that his character has a interesting story.

One thing is for certain: Christoph is a great actor.

I'm sure Christoph will not open up even a small bit of the film until October/November. In a way I understand him. He wants the audience to have a WOW experience in the cinema.

Can't wait to see Waltz in the movie!!
    We can agree on that. The Bond franchise is incredibly lucky to get CW as the main villain.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 14,816
    Here is my prediction
    Oberhauser is the reason for Bonds parents death a jealous boy, jealous of how his father Bonds SKI instructor treated him more like a son. His involvement ends with him being head of Qauntum and a Spectre agent. I think he deliver him Whites location, Qauntum want him gone for his prior failings. Rather than kill White, White starts talking the chase is then on for the shadow man for Bond until he finally meets the man in the closing scene's of Spectre in Morocco. Now in yesterday's interview Babs confirmed they still have scenes to finish in Morocco where surprise surprise Dan was with Marc Strong last year hill walking" as friends Dan is step dad to Marc Strongs son and best mates since Our Friends in the North. But Strong is a perfect Blofeld if casting a Blofeld there is no way Strong is not the first actor to have his name thrown in the hat. My guess they were over rehearsing a fight scene probably a mountain villa. Probably a 10 min sequence then on to Bond 25 with Bonds continued persuit of Blofeld. I have avoid the leaked script this is only my own views on how I see it play out.

I really don't see this happening.
    Why cast an actor of Waltz's calibre, then use Mark Strong as Blofeld? Would that not equate to the biggest damp squib in cinema history? The whole Blofeld reveal is inevitable, the film is called SPECTRE. The intrigue will come from the Oberhauser/Blofeld duality. If he's not ESB, I'll eat my hat.
    Same here. As I said, it's leading to a Jekyll&Hyde twist, so far anyway. If Waltz is not Blofeld, then they'd need one hell of a casting choice for Blofeld Bond 25. And if another one is revealed as Blofeld in SP... then they'd have hidden him very well. And again... casting wise, it would make no sense NOT to have Waltz as Blofeld.
    If someone thinks Waltz is not Blofeld after the teaser, they are just clutching at straws.

As I said, I think it's a Jekyll&Hyde twist.
    We can agree on that. The Bond franchise is incredibly lucky to get CW as the main villain.

It is pretty much a given that he will be the main antagonist. They wouldn't cast Christoph Waltz to play second fiddles. And if so, to whom?
    aaron819 wrote: »
    I think we will just have to wait for the movie to see if he is Blofeld or not.

You don't have to wait.
    You can just go into the SONY Leaks thread and you will find out in a minute.

The same people probably don't think Daniel Craig will play Bond. Sigh

• SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Here is my prediction
    Oberhauser is the reason for Bonds parents death a jealous boy, jealous of how his father Bonds SKI instructor treated him more like a son. His involvement ends with him being head of Qauntum and a Spectre agent. I think he deliver him Whites location, Qauntum want him gone for his prior failings. Rather than kill White, White starts talking the chase is then on for the shadow man for Bond until he finally meets the man in the closing scene's of Spectre in Morocco. Now in yesterday's interview Babs confirmed they still have scenes to finish in Morocco where surprise surprise Dan was with Marc Strong last year hill walking" as friends Dan is step dad to Marc Strongs son and best mates since Our Friends in the North. But Strong is a perfect Blofeld if casting a Blofeld there is no way Strong is not the first actor to have his name thrown in the hat. My guess they were over rehearsing a fight scene probably a mountain villa. Probably a 10 min sequence then on to Bond 25 with Bonds continued persuit of Blofeld. I have avoid the leaked script this is only my own views on how I see it play out.

I really don't see this happening.
    Why cast an actor of Waltz's calibre, then use Mark Strong as Blofeld? Would that not equate to the biggest damp squib in cinema history? The whole Blofeld reveal is inevitable, the film is called SPECTRE. The intrigue will come from the Oberhauser/Blofeld duality. If he's not ESB, I'll eat my hat.
    Consider this Waltz is not a franchise actor I don't see him type cast his career as Blofeld nor do I see him return for another film
    Blofeld doesn't have to be bald or physically imposing, which is why one has henchmen who fit that bill. The key to a great villain is smart, charming, and chilling. The power villains possess is the ability to bend others to their will.

It looks like Waltz in the teaser, and I hope it is. He's certainly shown he can play an insidious character. Kudos to the producers for beginning to line up more A list actors to raise the bar in this series.
    Even if he is a shadowed silhoutte, his voice is very recognizable.
    We should stop linking Waltz and Blofeld, he denied in the interview with GQ but still we keep saying that he must be lying like Naomie Harris did in Skyfall, it was a different case.
    Alexedward wrote: »
    We should stop linking Waltz and Blofeld, he denied in the interview with GQ but still we keep saying that he must be lying like Naomie Harris did in Skyfall, it was a different case.

How so? I mean the teaser might be a red herring, but still. So far, he is the best candidate for Blofeld.
  • RC7RC7

He's Blofeld.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Perhaphs the head of SPECTRE is not named Blofeld in the reboot?
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 14,816
    Walecs wrote: »

That would be pretty pointless. The name Blofeld is the only thing about him not associated with the spoof.

He's Blofeld.

it would sure be disappointing if Blofeld turned out to be Andrew Scott.
  • RC7RC7
    Walecs wrote: »

That would be pretty pointless. The name Blofeld is the only thing about him not associated with the spoof.

He's Blofeld.

it would sure be disappointing if Blofeld turned out to be Andrew Scott.

Precisely. Plus, why bother when you could invent a new villain as head of Quantum? SP = Blofeld.
    I'm still lost at how the son of Hannes Oberhauser could be Ernst Stavro Blofeld. This is such senseless retcon if true...
    ra7968 wrote: »
    I'm still lost at how the son of Hannes Oberhauser could be Ernst Stavro Blofeld. This is such senseless retcon if true...
    Though I will say that some of the theories speculated in this thread could be the mechanism, ie: Franz Oberhauser being adopted as a young child....

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    There is no real indication whatsoever nowhere to be found that Waltz plays Blofeld.

He is credited as playing Franz Oberhauser.
    If he were Blofeld it would say so.

Furthermore it would be the joke of the decade if the character of Oberhauser is Blofeld.
    It would ruin the movie or be the dumbest twist in movie history.

Even Purvis + Wade haven't gone that insane yet, to give that to us.
    ra7968 wrote: »

What makes you think Franz Oberhauser is even alive? And what retcon? Franz did not even exist in the literary world! Blofeld on the other hand usurped people's identity and assumed fake ones. It was part of his MO. So him taking the name Oberhauser makes perfect sense.
    There is no real indication whatsoever nowhere to be found that Waltz plays Blofeld.

He is credited as playing Franz Oberhauser.
    If he were Blofeld it would say so.

Furthermore it would be the joke of the decade if the character of Oberhauser is Blofeld.
    It would ruin the movie or be the dumbest twist in movie history.

Even Purvis + Wade haven't gone that insane yet, to give that to us.

And yet Eve turned out to be Moneypenny.

I hate to break it to you but in Dracula the main character is truly a vampire. sometimes the obvious twist is the right one.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 11,119
    People really lose the perspective sometimes. First of all: A so called 'foster brother' is not a biological brother. So I really see it merely as an intense childhood family friendship. Similar to how I as a kid played a lot with the kids of my parent's friends, and then lost complete track of them, because 'they' decided to have kids at age 20 (so called teenage mums) and I went to university for a degree.

Secondly, until this very date I NEVER heard a credible argument why Waltz will play Blofeld....and how this issue with his name will be incorporated in this narrative. So which name is 'fake'? Franz Oberhauser? Or Ernst Stavro Blofeld? Also, I would find it pretty lame and predictable if EON Productions simply copy-pasty that dreadful Khan/Harrison-narrative from "Star Trek Into Darkness" (A film that has been received pretty good by critics, but also a production that completely shitted on the intellect of all Trekkies).

Don't forget that there's already pretty much of a big background history on both of Fleming's characters: Blofeld and Oberhauser. And in the case of Waltz being Blofeld, one of those name backgrounds HAS to be sacrificed and killed-off for the sake of being a....cheap, fake name. I find that dull and shows us an absolute lack of creativity.

Therefore, I really stand with my own scenario. One that is actually way way more exciting than the 'Waltz plays Blofeld' narrative:

The A-plot) The lead villain of "SPECTRE" IS Franz Oberhauser, the son of Hannes Oberhauser who got tragically killed in a skiing accident. Hannes Oberhauser and Andrew Bond were very good friends, until Andrew Bond died earlier than Hannes Oberhauser. Bond got 'adopted' by Hannes Oberhauser (similar by the way to how my uncle Klaas Naberman got listed as foster parent until age 18 in case my own parents would die due to an accident. Ask your families, it's a pretty normal thing, especially in Netherlands). Then later, Hannes Oberhauser got killed during a skiing accident by a member of MI6, Mr Dexter Smythe (the old "Octopussy" story). Hannes son Franz blames this on MI6....and Bond. During his life, Franz Oberhauser became member of various crime syndicates, including the Italian mafia and Red Tongue Syndicate. He always wanted to avenge James Bond and MI6 in a more cunning and sinister way than Silva did. He eventually becomes the first head of the new crime syndicate "SPECTRE", which goal is to completely eradicate the intelligence community with a more intelligent and sinister hacking plan. One that is more effective than Silva's unbelievable lone hacking project in Asia. In this plot, Franz Oberhauser is, like Doctor Julius No in "Dr. No", the main villain. Critics will hail Christoph Waltz as the lead villain Franz Oberhauser. A "perfect, more sinister and cruel head of the revived S.P.E.C.T.R.E., who has his 'revenge emotions' better in check than Raoul Silva". BUT, He is NOT Ernst Stavro Blofeld. He is Franz Oberhauser, until he dies in a cruel way at the end of the film, completely scarred.

The B-plot) Another member of the British branch of "SPECTRE" was always more critical of Franz Oberhauser. He's heading the sinister hacking plan laid out by Oberhauser and to be executed on British soil. His name is 'Denbigh'.......Welsh form of.....'Blofeld'. He gets hailed by "SPECTRE", as the diabolical scheme succeeds. Sadly Oberhauser gets killed, but Denbigh is named as his successor at the end of the film. Denbigh calls himself Ernst Stavro Blofeld again. "SPECTRE" has become more powerful at the end of the film.....and Denbigh/Blofeld escapes in a treacherous way. Similar to how Blofeld escaped in "OHMSS".

I think the above plot is the most realistical possibility of the events. And frankly, I sincerely hope the story will turn out like this. I would laugh my balls off if EVERY Bond fan gets it wrong, and that Blofeld turns out to be played by Andrew Scott ;-). Does it make the film ridiculous? As I mentioned above: Absolutely not! It's the very highlight of the film!. And all of the above I've been typing while listening to this wonderful track by Henry Jackman :-D:

Secondly, until this very date I NEVER heard a credible argument why Waltz will play Blofeld....and how this issue with his name will be incorporated in this narrative.

How about the fact that the movie is named Spectre, the name of a recurring organization in both novels and movies founded and ran by... Blofeld. A man who in at least one of his appearances (the novel OHMSS) looks a good deal like Christoph Waltz. How about the fact that Waltz wears a variant of the Nehru suit, the same thing that Blofeld wore in the movies before? How about the fact that Waltz was seen with marking in his face for possible subsequent CGI scarring, just like... Blofeld in the movie YOLT? How about the fact that if you are going to have someone play Bond's nemesis, you would rather have an actor of the stature of Christoph Waltz, instead of Andrew Scott? How about the fact that Blofeld is Eastern European and has a ethnic and cultural background far closer to Waltz than any other member of the cast?

Even if this was an avalanche of red herrings... Why would they disappoint anyone except Scott's fans casting him as Blofeld? Why would he pass as Denbigh? How?
    I simply can't accept that the best secret agent in the world and the biggest villain who leads the most dangerous criminal organization were forster brothers as kid. How many chances are there?
    Who said they were? Blofeld is known to assume fake identities.
    Who said they were? Blofeld is known to assume fake identities.
    Yeah, I hope your theories are right.

• ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    He's blofeld. This is like on Star Trek into darkness when they denied he was khan. That's right, Star Wars fans, Abrams is your problem now
    He's blofeld. This is like on Star Trek into darkness when they denied he was khan. That's right, Star Wars fans, Abrams is your problem now

Off topic, but he can't be any worse than Lucas. And the big problem with Khan in Into Darkness is that he was miscast and badly written. They basically used his name only. Which I don't think will be the case this time, if only because Waltz does share some traits with the literary Blofeld.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited May 2016 Posts: 4,441
    Here is my prediction Oberhauser is the reason for Bonds parents death a jealous boy, jealous of how his father Bonds SKI instructor treated him more like a son. His involvement ends with him being head of Qauntum and a Spectre agent. I think he deliver him Whites location, Qauntum want him gone for his prior failings. Rather than kill White, White starts talking the chase is then on for the shadow man for Bond until he finally meets the man in the closing scene's of Spectre in Morocco.

What there did in finaly movie with Mr White in the house was better then your sugestion earlier, the rest was disapointed true. That Eon not stick with Waltz als Oberhauser i see as big failer. That Madeline has link with White i already know before i watched movie , because there at it trailer. Another failer.
    I was thinking last night how they could bring Blofeld back if Craig has left the series. (I think if Craig stays, then Bond 25 should be Blofeld-centric).

But if there's a new actor, I reckon a new villain should be reintroduced (clean slate, blah blah). However, Blofeld will have to return someday.....because he's Blofeld.

I thought it would be awesome if they could incorporate him in the series still. Maybe Bond needs information on the new villain so Mi6 force him to talk to Blofeld, who is in custody. Essentially making Blofeld the Hannibal Lector of the series.

You could have it be a small cameo from Waltz in the middle of the film so it would serve as a surprise (akin to the Marvel films, which love to drop in major cameos for the sake of continuity). Alternatively, Blofeld could serve as the sub-villian and we could see him escape, so they can set-up Bond 26 with him as the main villain?

What do we think? I reckon Waltz has to return as he was a little wasted in Spectre

latest?cb=20160223164922