SPECTRE: Christoph Waltz's role - discussion

124»

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I think this was Nolan's plan for the Joker until Ledger died.

I wouldn't be adverse to that idea but you can bet Lecter rip off would be called out on the series, we had enough thinking this current era is taking too many pages from Nolan's Bat films so treading carefully would be ideal in this situation.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I'd prefer not to see Waltz again, even in a cameo. I'd actually be happy not to see Blofeld for a few films also, and when he does reappear, a new actor would suit me fine.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'd prefer not to see Waltz again, even in a cameo. I'd actually be happy not to see Blofeld for a few films also, and when he does reappear, a new actor would suit me fine.

Me too, we had Blofeld behind the events of almost half of the Bond movies (plus one cameo appearance in FYEO), time for a new villain.

Actually, I was one of the few who thought bringing Blofeld back for Bond 24 was a bad idea, and guess what I was right.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited June 2016 Posts: 40,480
    Walecs wrote: »

Me too, we had Blofeld behind the events of almost half of the Bond movies (plus one cameo appearance in FYEO), time for a new villain.

Actually, I was one of the few who thought bringing Blofeld back for Bond 24 was a bad idea, and guess what I was right.

Initially, I was of the group that bringing him back so soon was a bad idea, as I was really itching for them to give the Quantum storyline a proper send off, of sorts, but alas, they sort of shoveled it all under the rug with little-to-no explanation, and we were given what we got in SP. Oh well. Personally, I want things returning to the standalone formula for a few movies, let Blofeld rot away and bring him back (with a different actor; nothing against Waltz, but while it could've been the script he had to work with, I wasn't impressed with his take on the role in this) a few movies down the road.
    Blofeld was brilliantly played in Spectre. Very enjoyable film.
    The double 0 program is dead, Nine Eyes is gone, the base is demolished, the other members have likely gone into hiding, or Blofeld has ordered their deaths to keep quiet. Somehow England needs to continue its spy operations so they may reinstate M and Bond to fulfill those obligations. As for Blofeld's role...something clever. No need for them to trust Blofeld for information unless Ernst benefits from whatever the plot may be.
  • Gettler wrote: »
    The double 0 program is dead, Nine Eyes is gone, the base is demolished, the other members have likely gone into hiding, or Blofeld has ordered their deaths to keep quiet. Somehow England needs to continue its spy operations so they may reinstate M and Bond to fulfill those obligations. As for Blofeld's role...something clever. No need for them to trust Blofeld for information unless Ernst benefits from whatever the plot may be.

Practically speaking, the events of SP do pose some interesting questions.

- Nine Eyes is most likely dead now that Denbeigh has been exposed. However, it was still approved just not implemented. So it could still be introduced in a different form.

- Mi6 and Mi5 have merged into CNS. But does CNS still exist now that C is dead? I imagine it does. It was likely introduced after the shambles that was Judi's M's reign.

- The 00 Program is dead. In the new structure, M is only the head of that department and we are explicitly told that "he's out of a job" when it's shut down. So he could be reinstated as the new head of CNS?

- Spectre are indicated as being too large an organisation to completely shut down. I suspect they still exist in some form, regardless of Blofeld's capture.

I feel so disheartened that Waltz may not return. I'm not the actor's biggest fan - in fact, when he was cast I felt it was way too obvious a choice. However, considering he has been established in the role, and the clout he has as a performer, I think it would be criminal not to exploit his full talents.

However, if you want to see Waltz play Blofeld again just watch his backlog. The guy has been beyond typecast - every performance he gives is a take on his Blofeld character. Maybe the braver move would be to hire another, more interesting actor for the part.....

Personally, I think it would have been really cool to have cast Gary Oldman as the Franz Oberhauser character....it's about time that Gary stopped playing overly paternal sorts and bought back camp villainy.

BOO_GEORGE_GARYOLD_2186741a.jpg

MAKE OLDMAN GREAT AGAIN (He never stopped being great, but you know what I mean)

• SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I would like to have him back ... but just as a shadowy figure like Blofeld was portrayed in FRWL or TB. Maybe add some shots out of his perspective. But the focus should be on the organization instead of him personally.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I suggested Oldman as Blofeld a long time ago. He could absolutely nail the part. Usually does.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 1,469
    Not sure yet if I want to see Blofeld back next time, but if Waltz plays him, I'd prefer that he play him "bigger" and zanier--without it becoming too much of a caricature--like the following clip shows; I hadn't seen Inglourious Basterds so didn't know it was Waltz who said this! I'd heard this as a radio talk show "drop". I've seen SPECTRE two or three times, and while I thought Waltz did a serviceable job, I think the character has to be portrayed bigger, louder than Waltz did (think Savalas, even Pleasence). Maybe his incarceration at the end of SPECTRE will be some reason for him to "turn up the volume" and the crazy a little if he returns.
    Walecs wrote: »

I wish they'd taken more time with everything.

In SF Mendes brought back Q, MP, the DB5 (again) and a new M. It was all too rushed.

And then in SP we got Blofeld by it all felt forced and a missed opportunity.

It's a real shame EON don't have the ability to plan long term in a coherent way. For me this is a clear sign that they should go back to one off missions.
    Waltz wasn't the real Blofeld. He was just front manipulated to act the part to screw with Bond's head. He waa chosen because his hatred towards Bond and because of their shared past.

Gary Oldman or Ciarin Hinds is the real Blofeld. Even the cat was just a front for the real pussy.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Personally I like Waltz' acting fine in SP. After that horrendous overacting job of his predecessor it felt like a fresh breeze of air.

Compared to other villains in the series, he might be only in the middle of things though. Still, I regard him as Oberhauser and not the Fleming Blofeld.

I would have preferred if he really would have been Blofeld in SP.
  • M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    Waltz was just underwhelming in all aspects.

He was not given enough scenes.
    He was not given much to actually do.
    His character's backstory was poorly written.
    He wasn't the slightest bit threatening
    His performance wasn't much different than that of his other roles

He's not bad by any means, but if he weren't a popular actor, his character would be slightly more interesting than Kristatos.