SPECTRE: So who's going to play Ernst?

Comments

I don't think Blofeld is a codename. He could steal someone's identity easily. And Bond didn't seem to remember Franz much, if at all.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Anyone else heard that Gary Oldman was supposed to be Franz Oberhauser. The Charachter was to be much older he was a Ski instructor and a former officer in the gustapo? Oldman confirmed he was offered the part but could not commit to 6 months filming. This could have been the reason for the early script rewrite. For me this add's weight to Franz Oberhauser not being Blofeld.
  • RC7RC7
    Anyone else heard that Gary Oldman was supposed to be Franz Oberhauser. The Charachter was to be much older he was a Ski instructor and a former officer in the gustapo? Oldman confirmed he was offered the part but could not commit to 6 months filming. This could have been the reason for the early script rewrite. For me this add's weight to Franz Oberhauser not being Blofeld.

The fact still remains, why write a film that revolves around SPECTRE, then proceed to hire a man who wins Oscars for fun, who has the requisite Germanic background, who is operating in a way that suggests he is the leader of the aforementioned organisation, only to have someone else play him? That's a woeful creative decision.
    RC7 wrote: »

The fact still remains, why write a film that revolves around SPECTRE, then proceed to hire a man who wins Oscars for fun, who has the requisite Germanic background, who is operating in a way that suggests he is the leader of the aforementioned organisation, only to have someone else play him? That's a woeful creative decision.

Because like with all good story thrillers the intention is to pull you and then drop a bomb shell twist on you.

Look at The Dark Knight Rises all along you think Bane is the child being referred to in the story until you find out it was the least likely Miranda.

With Waltz, like Bardem their casting came from discussions with DC at social functions, normally Tarantinos parties.. it was DC alone who brought Bardem to the table after a chat a party when Bardem told him he would love to play a Villian, apparently Waltz said the same, but from what is out there Waltz was not first choice, Gary Oldman was. If Blofeld is back, it would have to be for more than a one off film. Christoph Waltz is not a franchise actor, I do not see him doing sequels.

Then look at Andrew Scotts casting, his role has been played down. We know that EON approched him directly, no casting he was chosen. What if Scott is Oberhausers son, and his real name is Ernst and uses his mother maiden name. That Scott has managed to climb the Whitehall power list to become head of MI5 who wishes in the formation of SIS to dispose of MI6, what if Bond kill Oberhauser at the end of Spectre, and that when we see Scotts transformation from Denby to Blofeld ready to take over his fathers organisation as head od Spectre.

I have not read the script, only as someone who reads thrillers, I can see plausible twists and how I would have written it.
    Makes little sense to me. Oberhauser would have been ridiculously old and why on earth would they use WW 2 as background? I think the most plausible answer is that the first draft was written at a time when the rights to Blofeld were uncertain and they used a quasi-Blofeld as villain. Then when the rights were secured they adapted the script to the new reality.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Let s hope they can get Oldman in the future. One of the best actors of all time.
  • RC7RC7
    edited July 2015 Posts: 10,512

Because like with all good story thrillers the intention is to pull you and then drop a bomb shell twist on you.

Look at The Dark Knight Rises all along you think Bane is the child being referred to in the story until you find out it was the least likely Miranda.

With Waltz, like Bardem their casting came from discussions with DC at social functions, normally Tarantinos parties.. it was DC alone who brought Bardem to the table after a chat a party when Bardem told him he would love to play a Villian, apparently Waltz said the same, but from what is out there Waltz was not first choice, Gary Oldman was. If Blofeld is back, it would have to be for more than a one off film. Christoph Waltz is not a franchise actor, I do not see him doing sequels.

Then look at Andrew Scotts casting, his role has been played down. We know that EON approched him directly, no casting he was chosen. What if Scott is Oberhausers son, and his real name is Ernst and uses his mother maiden name. That Scott has managed to climb the Whitehall power list to become head of MI5 who wishes in the formation of SIS to dispose of MI6, what if Bond kill Oberhauser at the end of Spectre, and that when we see Scotts transformation from Denby to Blofeld ready to take over his fathers organisation as head od Spectre.

I have not read the script, only as someone who reads thrillers, I can see plausible twists and how I would have written it.

I'm aware of how and why 'twists' are employed, the point is that the idea of Blofeld not being who we think isn't the only feasible twist of this film, there could be many other narrative turns which haven't even been considered. In fact, I'd go as far as to say, Blofeld not being who we think would be lazy, clichéd and ultimately very disappointing.

There's also nothing to say Waltz hasn't committed himself to a two picture deal. That would be satisfactory in my eyes. If it were a choice between two films starring Waltz or four to five starring Scott, I would take Waltz every time. DC's tenure is very much its own entity and it appears SP is going to solidify that notion. There are several lines in the trailer that suggest Oberhauser has been in the background for the entirety of the Craig era, essentially he has been the unseen 'spectre' who haunts the previous three films. From that perspective you could essentially have Waltz as Blofeld and kill him off at the end of this movie. I'd prefer to have him remain at large and be bumped off in B25, but you could bump him off in SP and it be narratively satisfying.

I still believe this is not Bond on a mission as others have professed, this seems as highly personal as SF, if not more so. I don't see the next actor picking up the mantle with the same Blofeld in tow. This is uniquely Craig's era, so given we'll be lucky to get two more out of DC, I can see Waltz seeing out the Craig era if all parties are happy.
    Let s hope they can get Oldman in the future. One of the best actors of all time.

I think I read somewhere he was not playing villains anymore. Anyway it's unlikely he'll be cast as one: since the Craig era they cast non British actors as villains.

I'm aware of how and why 'twists' are employed, the point is that the idea of Blofeld not being who we think isn't the only feasible twist of this film, there could be many other narrative turns which haven't even been considered. In fact, I'd go as far as to say, Blofeld not being who we think would be lazy, clichéd and ultimately very disappointing.

There's also nothing to say Waltz hasn't committed himself to a two picture deal. That would be satisfactory in my eyes. If it were a choice between two films starring Waltz or four to five starring Scott, I would take Waltz every time. DC's tenure is very much its own entity and it appears SP is going to solidify that notion. There are several lines in the trailer that suggest Oberhauser has been in the background for the entirety of the Craig era, essentially he has been the unseen 'spectre' who haunts the previous three films. From that perspective you could essentially have Waltz as Blofeld and kill him off at the end of this movie. I'd prefer to have him remain at large and be bumped off in B25, but you could bump him off in SP and it be narratively satisfying.

I still believe this is not Bond on a mission as others have professed, this seems as highly personal as SF, if not more so. I don't see the next actor picking up the mantle with the same Blofeld in tow. This is uniquely Craig's era, so given we'll be lucky to get two more out of DC, I can see Waltz seeing out the Craig era if all parties are happy.

But just imagine the buzz and excitement if Scott is revealed as Blofeld. Can you? Me neither.
  • RC7RC7
    Ludovico wrote: »

But just imagine the buzz and excitement if Scott is revealed as Blofeld. Can you? Me neither.

One of the greatest twists in cinema history... surely?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

I think I read somewhere he was not playing villains anymore. Anyway it's unlikely he'll be cast as one: since the Craig era they cast non British actors as villains.

I suggested Oldman as Blofeld ages ago. They must think highly of me and my ideas.
  • EiragornEiragorn Hessia
    It's interesting how far they are downplaying Scott in the marketing yet inserting those two shady frames into the trailer. I'm also convinced that there is more to him than the want to admit up front. His name is far too flowery for a throwaway on-off character, even a traiterous one. But I myself am still not satisfied with any of the theories in here.

So we got the following definite infos: Franz Oberhauser is the main villain and SPECTRE returns to the Bond movies. Furthermore we can be pretty surely assume Scott's Denbigh is not on Bond's side and the next movie concludes DCs tenure and all the loose threads.

Now they brought themselves into a situation where they have a hard time successfully fulfilling everything that their own teases promised. Revealing Waltz as Blofeld seems like the right thing to do but can't be stalled for too long for not risking a Khan situation. It still would be too obvious and therefore weak for a main plot twist. Revealing Scott as Blofeld would surely disappoint most movie goers akin to what IM3 did. Still they're are aiming at a mayor twist with Blofeld's identity since they NEED to introduce hin in a movie named SPECTRE while also keeping him for at least the next movie.

What I currently miss in this discussion is Quantum. SPECTRE actually features two organization who could still be not affiliated at all. I could actually imagine that Waltz is the true mastermind behind Quantum and is made clear early on to be distinct from Blofeld. After Quantum is gone Denbigh builds up his own organisation from their image using his vast contacts.

What they can't do is tease too much since it is far too obvious. The only option I see for them pulling the rug late in the movie is when they are revealing Blofeld who's played by an actor even more beloved than Waltz. Those are sparse and not easy to nail down for more than one movie; I could only imagine the likes of, say, Anthony Hopkins or Bruno Ganz for that specific role.

So td;ld: We either know early in the movie whether Waltz is Blofeld or Blofeld is played by an actor even more acclaimed that Waltz.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It's obvious that Scott is (at least) not who he seems. That's apparent in the new trailer.
  • RC7RC7
    Eiragorn wrote: »
    So td;ld: We either know early in the movie whether Waltz is Blofeld or Blofeld is played by an actor even more acclaimed that Waltz.

Or Oberhauser is revealed to be Blofeld at the end of the film. Think Batman Begins, the 'leaves a calling card', scenario, different narrative set up, but that's the kind of buzz you want. I think the more they make a deal out of it the more hammy and shite it will be.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 14,816

One of the greatest twists in cinema history... surely?

Andrew Scott, cast as Denbigh because he was cheaper than Chiwetel Ejiofor. But truly cast as Blofeld not because... because on the long run he's cheaper than Waltz? Also, is nothing like Blofeld. I guess that makes the twist even more unexpected.
    Eiragorn wrote: »

Or Oberhauser is revealed to be Blofeld at the end of the film. Think Batman Begins, the 'leaves a calling card', scenario, different narrative set up, but that's the kind of buzz you want. I think the more they make a deal out of it the more hammy and shite it will be.

I wonder what people find so difficult about a Jekyll & Hyde twist. If Oberhauser IS Blofeld, it's not like anybody will blame Christoph Waltz for lying during interviews. Nobody will get disappointed. But making him a red herring has huge chances to infuriate people.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Ludovico, and that red herring twist has proven to anger people in the past, ala 'Iron Man 3.'
  • RC7RC7
    I wonder what people find so difficult about a Jekyll & Hyde twist. If Oberhauser IS Blofeld, it's not like anybody will blame Christoph Waltz for lying during interviews. Nobody will get disappointed. But making him a red herring has huge chances to infuriate people.

This is the crux of it.

Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Ludovico, and that red herring twist has proven to anger people in the past, ala 'Iron Man 3.'

No really? You mean people were unhappy that Ben Kingsley was not the Mandarin?

This is the crux of it.

And I wonder what the defenders of the Andrew Scott or the Mark Strong thesis think the movie would gain by fooling audiences like that.
  • RC7RC7
    edited July 2015 Posts: 10,512
    And I wonder what the defenders of the Andrew Scott or the Mark Strong thesis think the movie would gain by fooling audiences like that.

I agree, I'd really like to know too. There's been a few comments along the lines of 'we'll soon see who's right'. I'm not clairvoyant and I've no interest in being right, I just want a decent film and I feel like Scott as Blofeld is a poor idea, so I too would be keen to know what the appeal is outside of an unnecessary twist?
    For Andrew Scott's fans, maybe confirm that the actor is up to do some great things, like Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch?

I am sure Scott is a decent guy, I have not seen him in many things but he seems a good enough actor, except that he is simply too young, youthful and does not have (yet) the gravitas and charisma necessary for the role.
  • DannyBoy1994DannyBoy1994 Wales
    I don't get why people feel there needs to be a twist. Why shouldn't Waltz be Blofeld? Why is the "obvious choice" as some would put it, not the right choice?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    After everyone else has tried to do the twist on the villain, John Harrison is Khan, Guy Pierce is the Real Mandarin, Eon should just be up front and not try to do what everyone else is doing. That will lead to. Oh, This movie did that first, ripoff. the kind of thing EON wants to avoid.
    Murdock wrote: »
    After everyone else has tried to do the twist on the villain, John Harrison is Khan, Guy Pierce is the Real Mandarin, Eon should just be up front and not try to do what everyone else is doing. That will lead to. Oh, This movie did that first, ripoff. the kind of thing EON wants to avoid.

@Murdock I like your new avatar; fits my namesake ;)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    @FoxRox,I do aim to...DO A BARREL ROLL. :))
    I don't get why people feel there needs to be a twist. Why shouldn't Waltz be Blofeld? Why is the "obvious choice" as some would put it, not the right choice?

Sometimes there is a reason why it is an obvious choice: because it is the right choice.
    edited July 2015 Posts: 2,138
    Andrew Scott's charachter has not been spoken about in the same details as others, Andrew Scott has not done the interview yet pretty much every other cast members has spoken about their charachters. I geniunely feel his part in the film has been played down deliberately, so it comes as more of a surprise to the audience. Going to stick with my theory Oberhausers is head of Spectre, Denby is Oberhausers son who has managed to work his way up to power to exploit government for Spectres gain, Bond kills Oberhauser at the end of the film, Denby will reveal his real name Ernst and Stavro Blofeld his mothers maiden name take his father place at the head of Spectre. Apart from Wade and Purivs polish up you have to remembers this is still very much a John Logan written story this is his style of red herring writting.
    Andrew Scott's charachter has not been spoken about in the same details as others, Andrew Scott has not done the interview yet pretty much every other cast members has spoken about their charachters. I geniunely feel his part in the film has been played down deliberately, so it comes as more of a surprise to the audience. Going to stick with my theory Oberhausers is head of Spectre, Denby is Oberhausers son who has managed to work his way up to power to exploit government for Spectres gain, Bond kills Oberhauser at the end of the film, Denby will reveal his real name Ernst and Stavro Blofeld his mothers maiden name take his father place at the head of Spectre. Apart from Wade and Purivs polish up you have to remembers this is still very much a John Logan written story this is his style of red herring writting.

I hope you're right :-P. It'll cause a lot of ghasping among the Bond fans when they finish the film in cinemas. ANDDD on top of that it automatically is one of the best kept secrets in Bond history :-).

There are other reasons why Andrew Scott character may be play down: he might be a traitor and they want it to come as a surprise, or he might be a Snape type of character, seemingly a traitor but ends up a good guy. Why he would be Blofeld when he is nothing like Blofeld? To bring a twist for the sake of it? And can anyone imagine audiences being wowed by such twist?

Oh and it's Denbigh.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited July 2015 Posts: 17,787
    There are other reasons why Andrew Scott character may be play down: he might be a traitor and they want it to come as a surprise, or he might be a Snape type of character, seemingly a traitor but ends up a good guy. Why he would be Blofeld when he is nothing like Blofeld? To bring a twist for the sake of it? And can anyone imagine audiences being wowed by such twist?

Oh and it's Denbigh.

Sort of like what they did with Mathis in Casino Royale (2006) - not that I approved of that at all! Quite the opposite, in fact given his status as a trusty ally in the Fleming Bond novels.
    Oh and it's Denbigh.

And 'Denbigh' is Old-English for 'small fortress' or 'small fortified field'. And the French translation for that is 'Bleuchamp' :-).

I would love these kind of surprises. Moreover, like I said before, I can't see Christoph Waltz returning as Blofeld for a multi-picture deal. If they bring back Blofeld, they want to do it right, perhaps even different as opposed to the three different 'versions' of Blofeld in the novel.

And to do it that way, you need to start with a clean sheet. Similar to how Daniel Craig was casted as 007 in 2005. So a young, relatively unknown actor would be preferable. Andrew Scott is the perfect man for that job.

And the nicest thing of it all, is that the Bond producers don't have to feel this difficult pressure of constantly topping A-listed actors like Bardem and Waltz.