Anthony Horowitz's James Bond novel - Trigger Mortis

Comments

• 007InVT007InVT Classified
    These positive early reviews are very encouraging! I’m getting even more excited now.

Question: did some people get access to copies early? How are these reviews coming in already?

Copies were sent out typically to Bond sites and/or reviewers in order to have time to read them to get reviews out near to publication.

Thanks for the response, 007inVT. That has me very jealous!
  • eddychaputeddychaput Montreal, Canada
    007InVT wrote: »
    Just finished Trigger Mortis and I must say, really enjoyed it. The villain is great. A good dose of cruelty and accidie; akin to Mr. Big in many ways.

I'll read again for a more nuance opinion, but the pace is excellent particularly in the 2nd and 3rd acts. Some nice references for Fleming aficionados too.

I'll sit down and do a proper review at some point, but thought I'd post some initial thoughts.

How would you compare it to the most recent three novels, Devil Mare Care, Carte Blanche, and Solo? I actually think they've gotten progressively better (which is not popular opinion, apparently).

• Is Sir Stirling Moss named in the book ?

No, but there is a character who quite clearly is based on Moss.

Perhaps doubleonothing has nothing to say because he doesn't know. A simple question n'est-ce-pas?

Or maybe I don't spend as much time on the forum as I used to?

Anyway, I'm sure my review will be up on the main site soon enough. Spoiler free, of course. ;)

Sad that Moss has been cut. Evidently he was named in Fleming's original treatment and it would have made for a huge PR opportunity. Something that would not go amiss for literary Bond.

Does anybody know why Moss was cut from the story?
    Was it a legal/financial thing?
    I do know Sir Stirling is still very active with his brand - one look at his website will tell you that and I also know that he's a huge Bond fan so, what exactly has been the problem?
    A question for Horowitz or IFP perhaps?
    In any event, it's a great shame not to have brought these two great factual/fictional characters together. Moss would have sold thousands of extra books that's for sure.
    What exactly happened?
  • 007InVT007InVT Classified
    eddychaput wrote: »
    007InVT wrote: »
    Just finished Trigger Mortis and I must say, really enjoyed it. The villain is great. A good dose of cruelty and accidie; akin to Mr. Big in many ways.

I'll read again for a more nuance opinion, but the pace is excellent particularly in the 2nd and 3rd acts. Some nice references for Fleming aficionados too.

I'll sit down and do a proper review at some point, but thought I'd post some initial thoughts.

How would you compare it to the most recent three novels, Devil Mare Care, Carte Blanche, and Solo? I actually think they've gotten progressively better (which is not popular opinion, apparently).

Easily the best of those; I agree they have been moving through the gears and TM finds fourth gear, particularly in the 2nd half of the book.
  • Is Sir Stirling Moss named in the book ?

No, but there is a character who quite clearly is based on Moss.

Perhaps doubleonothing has nothing to say because he doesn't know. A simple question n'est-ce-pas?

Or maybe I don't spend as much time on the forum as I used to?

Anyway, I'm sure my review will be up on the main site soon enough. Spoiler free, of course. ;)

Sad that Moss has been cut. Evidently he was named in Fleming's original treatment and it would have made for a huge PR opportunity. Something that would not go amiss for literary Bond.

Does anybody know why Moss was cut from the story?
    Was it a legal/financial thing?
    I do know Sir Stirling is still very active with his brand - one look at his website will tell you that and I also know that he's a huge Bond fan so, what exactly has been the problem?
    A question for Horowitz or IFP perhaps?
    In any event, it's a great shame not to have brought these two great factual/fictional characters together. Moss would have sold thousands of extra books that's for sure.
    What exactly happened?

Does anybody know anything about this?
    It seems to me to be very intriguing. The whole thing was trailered as incorporating a Fleming original storyline about a Smersh plot to stop Sir Stirling winning at the Nurburgring and now we find that Moss has gone missing in action.
    Strange n'est-ce pas?
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    @TriggerMortis Horowitz gives an explanation for not using Sir Stirling in the notes. It's not really much of a mystery. It looks as though he just preferred not to use a real life individual as a character.
  • @TriggerMortis Horowitz gives an explanation for not using Sir Stirling in the notes. It's not really much of a mystery. It looks as though he just preferred not to use a real life individual as a character.

If true, what a huge missed opportunity. Sir Stirling is the greatest racing driver of our time ( Lewis Hamilton not me BUT I do agree) and his involvement, albeit fleeting, would have made for massive PR.
    Get him talking on morning TV about the Bond book and the sales would roll in.
    If it was Horowitz's call and not Stirling after a piece of the financial action — he's made a big mistake!
    Well, I see what you're saying @TriggerMortis, but it's James Bond, possibly the most well known literary character in the world next to Sherlock Holmes. I don't think it needs to have a tie-in with Sterling Moss to boost its sales.
  • Well, I see what you're saying @TriggerMortis, but it's James Bond, possibly the most well known literary character in the world next to Sherlock Holmes. I don't think it needs to have a tie-in with Sterling Moss to boost its sales.

Since Faulk's huge success for Penguin, sales for literary Bond succession novels have halved and Boyd massively undersold the publisher's budget.
    Believe you me, they need all the help they can get.
    That said, Horowitz will probably have a significant hit albeit 'Moriarty' was not as big for him as 'House Of Silk' and leaving Moss in (as was trailered) would certainly have helped.
    It would have been a marketing director's dream.
    Bounine wrote: »

@TriggerMortis Have you read reviews?

Just snippet
  • Are there any details yet about launch events ?
    Personally, I find Anthony's new site about as easy to navigate as the Arc de Triomphe !
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 2,594
    For any collectors:

http://www.thebookbond.com/

This chap will keep you very much up to date in terms of launch events.
  • Bounine wrote: »
    For any collectors:

http://www.thebookbond.com/

This chap will keep you very much up to date in terms of launch events.

Thanks for that @Bounine. This is a good site but I do find it a little light on the literary front.

This one is also great for book lovers: www.literarybond.com
    @TriggerMortis

Thanks but I can't seem to find this website but then I am currently living in Shanghai. ;) Are you sure it still exists? I think I have visited it in the past.
  • @ Bounine, it may be your location but it very much still exists and has some great stuff on it.
    I think at one point it was called Artistic Licence Renewed but I've checked its domain name and it is actually http://www.literary007.com
    Sorry for the misinformation.
    It's a great site and the author is a friend of mine. Highly recommend a visit.
    Okay. Found it. Cheers!
    The official launch will be Sept. 7th and I'll be covering it for MI6. Let me know if there are any questions you'd like answered and I'll see if I can put them to AH at the Q&A.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 2,594
    alantong wrote: »
    Also finished reading a proof copy recently. I must admit I started with a lot of reservations - some of the continuation books have been a struggle to finish and I really did not like the title.

The first part of the book confirmed my fears. Bringing back Pussy Galore was a bit of a missed opportunity / gimmick and feels sort of bolted on. There are also too many lines lifted from previous Fleming books and without giving anything away it borrows a bit too much from Diamonds Are Forever. Horowitz is a great writer so I am not sure what was going on here - perhaps he was feeling the weight of expectations and tried too hard to write like Fleming or perhaps he did not have complete freedom to write what he wanted and had to include Pussy Galore.

Fortunately from the moment Bond meets M in his office it really lifts off and becomes classic Bond. Even the title begins to make more sense. Horowitz is obviously really enjoying writing this and I hope he is given the chance to write more Bond (with or without using any of the other original TV plots).

I probably need to read it again to be sure, but for me it went from being a bit of a disappointment at the start and ended up as the best Bond novel since YOLT.

When you say the first part of the book, around how many chapters are you referring to? That's strange how an author of this calibre would borrow so many lines from Fleming or is he actually using what Fleming wrote for 'Murder on Wheels'? No, no, I don't think Fleming would have regurgitated stuff from his other books. Roughly how many lines would you say he borrowed?
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 2,594
    Seeing I travel around, I don't want to buy real books anymore as it's just not practicle even though I am very much a traditionalist and much prefer the feel of a real book in my hand. Unfortunately, the kindle version of Trigger Mortis on Amazon UK is only available to UK customers. I think the kindle version is available to international customers on the American website. I don't even have a kindle yet and I don't want an i pad. I hope that I can download the book to my laptop. I did download the kindle app to my computer. I've never done any of this before. I'm not really sure how it all works.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Seeing I travel around, I don't want to buy real books anymore as it's just not practicle even though I am very much a traditionalist and much prefer the feel of a real book in my hand. Unfortunately, the kindle version of Trigger Mortis on Amazon UK is only available to UK customers. I think the kindle version is available to international customers on the American website. I don't even have a kindle yet and I don't want an i pad. I hope that I can download the book to my laptop. I did download the kindle app to my computer. I've never done any of this before. I'm not really sure how it all works.

If you change the Kindle download option from 'My Kindle' to 'Kindle for PC' (on the right hand side of the screen) and then download it you can read the Kindle e-book on your PC or laptop instead. I had a Kindle but it broke after a very short while so I never bothered with another one. That's what I do download Kindle e-books anyhow. Hope that helps! :)
    I'm the same, I love the feel and turning the pages of a real book - I have a lot of space taken up on my shelf with books - I'll often go to a second hand book store (love the smell of old paperbacks) and sell my books often in exchange for another good read, but If I'm traveling, rather than a book or a Kindle, I'll get an unabridged audiobook version from Audible and sit back with my earphones in and my eyes closed. Passes the time on a train/underground and a good distraction when in a crowded street.

Any idea who's reading Trigger Mortis? Though I'll probably have that on my must read list, rather than audiobook.
  • It is incredible. With less than one month to go there is absolutely no news about launch day or launch week activities.
    Frankly, I sometimes think that publishers are so inept with their marketing that it's a wonder we've got any book shops left in the UK!
    Of course, we are knee deep in Spectre stuff but when it comes to literary Bond, he may as well be agent 000.
  • Of course, we are knee deep in Spectre stuff but when it comes to literary Bond, he may as well be agent 000.

The funny thing is, you'd think publishers would be able to play up the whole "there's a new Bond movie AND a new Bond novel coming out this year!" angle. What better time to release a new book than when hype is already being generated for a film? Like you said - inept.

• Of course, we are knee deep in Spectre stuff but when it comes to literary Bond, he may as well be agent 000.

The funny thing is, you'd think publishers would be able to play up the whole "there's a new Bond movie AND a new Bond novel coming out this year!" angle. What better time to release a new book than when hype is already being generated for a film? Like you said — inept.

I know, it's just bizarre and I guess it comes from the top of the book business.
    It's been a long time since they could market their way out of a paper back.
    All they ever seem to do is complain. They complain about e-books. They complain about Amazon. They complain about margins.They complain about everything and when something golden like this comes along. What do they do? Stick up a web site and leave it unanimated. Apart from that — nothing — in other words zip!
    Sorry, a bit of a rant but I love books in general and Bond books specifically and this level of complacency makes my blood boil!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
  • Dragonpol wrote: »

A month after launch!

One of my favourite authors is Daniel Silva who writes the fabulous Allon series.

Daniel normally publishes annually in July and every launch is supported by great marketing:

He has a good site where he trailers his work, often publishing the first chapter in advance to wet appetites. He works his but off PR'ing the book on every TV station. Undertakes a full nation wide tour of the US, singing books as he goes and sells signed copies on line and via Borders for fans that miss the tour.
    And the result? Every year he shoots to No.1 on the NYC best seller list and I think he deserves every penny he makes.

Personally, I think there is a huge lesson in this for IFP, Orion and Mr.Horowitz and Silva should be an inspiration on how to treat fans and market books.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 2,594
    Dragonpol wrote: »

If you change the Kindle download option from 'My Kindle' to 'Kindle for PC' (on the right hand side of the screen) and then download it you can read the Kindle e-book on your PC or laptop instead. I had a Kindle but it broke after a very short while so I never bothered with another one. That's what I do download Kindle e-books anyhow. Hope that helps! :)

Thanks for that. @Dragonpol Does reading all your e books on the computer, hurt you eyes after a while?

Upon thinking about it, I wonder if I should get an i pad but I am concerned about my eyes. I'm certainly not the type of person who just reads for a mere half an hour each time. The new Kindle 'Voyager' seems pretty good and the Kindles are specially designed with ones eyes in mind.

@JCRendle I also love the smell of old paper backs and new books too. I wonder if I should just order the hardback version of this book. If it ends up being a great book, and based on what others have said, it sounds like it will be, I kind of like the thought of owning it in hardback as this book could prove to be a little piece of fine history in the Bond world - the first good adult Bond book since the mid1980's. A collector's item! Not that I am really a collector. I have a few second hand copies of all of the Fleming books, half of the Gardner books and all of the Benson and Young Bond books. I also have Lycett's biography of Fleming.

In terms of the lack of promotion, one certainly gets the impression that IFP just don't really care anymore and that they're trying to save their pennies. Even though William Boyd's book didn't sell well, Bond is a household name and they're making enough money to live comfortably. What concerns me though is if we do actually get to a point where the Bond books just start selling terribly. Obviously IFP will decide to call it a day and the adult and maybe even the young literary Bond goes to the grave. I almost wonder if Trigger Mortis will be the last adult Bond book they plan to do.

Is this "the end (?) Hold your breath and count to ten..."
  • Anthony Horowitz will be promoting & signing editions of Trigger Mortis at the following events:

Monday 7th September (launch day) : Waterstones Piccadilly @ 7:30pm
    Wednesday 9th September :Waterstones Edinburgh @ 7:30pm

The ticket price is £18.99 and includes a Waterstones 'Special Edition' of Trigger Mortis.

Tickets are available from Waterstones.com

My good friend Villieurs53 and myself will be attending the Piccadilly event and would be more than delighted to meet up with any of you literary aficionados out there who decide to go.

The fact that you won't find news of this event on the IFP, Trigger Mortis or Anthony Horowitz sites is a solid testimony to the fire, steady, aim approach to marketing so prevalent in the book industry.

What's more, it makes the Goldsboro special edition that won't be released until October decidedly un special!