Anthony Horowitz's James Bond novel - Trigger Mortis

Comments

• JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    I see Charlie Higson seems thoroughly impressed with this new novel.....
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    If anyone can turn the fortunes of the Bond continuation around that man is surely Anthony Horowitz.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 2,594
    timmer wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    timmer wrote: »
    I guess with creative license and study of the timeline there is room to squeeze in all sorts of stuff, but my preference is a set of new books in the now.
    I did enjoy the 14 volume set of fresh Gardner adventures.

In that case though it's a clear gap.
    Of course it is, so is everything else but for Pearson and Weinberg and now Horowitz.
    The first Gardner book, like Amis, Pearson, Higgins,Weinberg, Faulks, and Boyd, did start off with Bond in real time ie Fleming timeline circa 1981, with Bond still in his '50s hence first book title License Renewed, but as he went along, realizing he had a series, he gave up on the real-timeline idea very quick ( by book 2 I think) and Bond quietly morphed back to 00 agent of indeterminate age.
    In fact it seems he got younger, and settled back to proper 00 age. :)

Good set of books. I am planning on ploughing through them again soon, followed by the 6 Bensons.

Most of what's come out since, has been meh.
    Gardner and Benson at least got a flow going with the character doing his thing, in the now context.
    DMC and Solo, I found readable at least
    Adequate efforts, even if Faulks effort seemed a little lazy.
    Deaver's book though was an abomination.

No one will ever write Bond like Fleming, because they'd have to bring all his quirky and provocative attitudes along too, and most writers would be too chickenshit (eg. deaver=the anti-fleming)

Fleming was unique. Great writer! Entertaining as hell.

But Gardner and Benson did do decent enough Bond adventures I thought.

Maybe Horowitz can end the dry spell.

I very much agree and I loved Fleming's sense of humour. To put it very simply - a part mixture of arrogance and piss taking. Certainly there are other adjectives to add too.

I thought Benson's books were reasonably entertaining but I just don't think he has or atleast had (never read anything outside of his Bond adventures) a flare for writing. They read too much like fan fiction to me, not only due to the fact that he lacked writing skills but because he also frequently brought back characters from Fleming's books and I don't think he did them justice in terms of accurately portraying their personalities. 'Zero Minus Ten' is my favourite Benson Bond novel.

Just finished the facts of death again I love it
  • My name sake looks like it's set to be a huge success.
    The advance reviews have been very favourable. Evidently Charlie Higson loves it - a great omen and everybody who has been lucky enough to preview it says that Horowitz has completely nailed it. I can't wait for September and the launch of what appears to be the best Bond book since Colonel Sun. After all I've staked my name on it - thank God I didn't call myself SOLO!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    :)) Welcome Trigger Mortis, I agree Solo was a load of crap. All the
    Signs seem to be that TM, is going to be a great read. :)
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited June 2015 Posts: 4,399
    DrGorner wrote: »

if it does turn out to be a great success... do you think the Fleming estate will pony up to keep Horowitz around? Or will they continue with another one off author?

I would like to have some consistency again in the Bond novels.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited June 2015 Posts: 15,423
    HASEROT wrote: »
    Same here.
    I would really hope so, I'd love another series of novels. If they could
    Keep up the high standard. I was disappointed with many of the later
    J Gardner books and didn't really think much of R Benson's work.
    I really felt like Gardner lost the plot with No Deals, Mr. Bond and the subsequent installments under his construction. But, I never have seen Benson faulting his books. I really loved them.
    I always felt Benson was writing movie ideas. With too many gadgets and his
    Use of some Fleming characters, I wasn't a fan of. Although it's all a matter
    Of taste, no wrong or right answer, we like what we like. ;)
    Thankfully Trigger Mortis, seems to be getting the thumbs up from anyone who
    Has read an early copy, so hopefully. With this and the new film we're in for a
    great year.
    I always felt Benson was writing movie ideas. With too many gadgets and his
    Use of some Fleming characters, I wasn't a fan of. Although it's all a matter
    Of taste, no wrong or right answer, we like what we like. ;)
    Thankfully Trigger Mortis, seems to be getting the thumbs up from anyone who
    Has read an early copy, so hopefully. With this and the new film we're in for a
    great year.
    I guess that is why I loved Benson's novels. :D
    Of course, doctor. I was merely stating my opinion, and we all have our own opinions. So, it's all respected equally as the other. Here's hoping Trigger Mortis drags the literary Bond out of its dark ages.
    As far as film books go, I loved Christopher Wood's two books for
    TSWLM & MR, I thought he did a great job. :)
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---

i think i might be one of the few that liked Benson's TWINE.. i actually liked his book better than the movie itself lol.
    TSWLM's novelization was phenomenal. It felt more like Fleming's Bond than Moore's Bond. The return of SMERSH in it has given me the goose-bumps. MR was great, too. Rumour has it, TSWLM had been going through several rewrites hence the novelization being different than the film itself, whereas Christopher Wood solely wrote the script for MR, which explains the book not being that different from the cinematic approach.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 7,653
    TSWLM's novelization was phenomenal. It felt more like Fleming's Bond than Moore's Bond. The return of SMERSH in it has given me the goose-bumps. MR was great, too. Rumour has it, TSWLM had been going through several rewrites hence the novelization being different than the film itself, whereas Christopher Wood solely wrote the script for MR, which explains the book not being that different from the cinematic approach.

But the book is different especially the ending with the fight of the spacemarines. And of course Woods 007 is less Moore and more Fleming than the actual portrayal in the movie.

Yes, I thought Wood did a great job of putting " Fleming's " Bond
    Into the film stories. :)
    SaintMark wrote: »

But the book is different especially the ending with the fight of the spacemarines. And of course Woods 007 is less Moore and more Fleming that the actual portrayal.
    Was it? I have to give it a read, again. An excuse to pick up the book. :)
  • HASEROT wrote: »

if it does turn out to be a great success... do you think the Fleming estate will pony up to keep Horowitz around? Or will they continue with another one off author?

Hopefully they'll sign him up for at least a three book deal. But with IFP you never know. Those little grey cels don't seem to be in abundance around that particular boardroom table.

• Great news - Horowitz has Bond back, where he belongs, in a beautiful Bentley.
    Purists will be pleased although it remains unclear if he is driving the Mark VI that he bought in Moonraker or the Mark II Continental "locomotive" that first appeared in Thunderball.
    I'm getting more excited by the minute.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The book is set before Thunderball, so that answers that.
    HASEROT wrote: »

Me too. I think IFP would be nuts not to ask him back, presuming the book is good. The signs seem favourable. The only thing that bothers me a little is having Pussy Galore back. I have always been in favour of bringing one of Fleming's Bond girls back but the name Pussy Galore sounds too tongue in cheek these days what with all the spy spoofs like Austin Powers over the years.

Wood's books were pretty good (I prefer Moonraker to TSWLM. I'm in the minority with this one :) ) and Colonel Sun isn't bad but I do find it to be a tad overrated in the Bond community. Colonel Sun himself is underdeveloped as a character and the book feels a bit on the bland side in parts. Certainly it was Flemingsque in parts though. I enjoyed Gardner's first five books more than Colonel Sun though.

In terms of Benson, unless my memory fails me, I thought that he said in an interview that he was told to write the books in a way that was more in line with the flicks and this included incorporating all the cheesy gadgets.

Benson weaved colourful plots which I appreciated but overall I'm not a fan of his Bond books. I feel sorry for Benson what with all the "hate mail" he said that he received. There's just no call for this.

Bounine wrote: »
    In terms of Benson, unless my memory fails me, I thought that he said in an interview that he was told to write the books in a way that was more in line with the flicks and this included incorporating all the cheesy gadgets.

I think you're referring to The Facts of Death which he wrote as his own movie interpretation to the Bond franchise.
    Any confirmation of his watch of choice or whether we are treated to a description of his flat?
    Regarding the post fleming authors

Amis I loved Colonel sun was quite fun but very brutal
    Gardner was well I don't want to say horrible Icebreaker is ok and I am working my way through his works (this summer I am reading Seafire for the first time) I will read all his works eventually
    Benson I love him I know everyone hates him and I know his books are more in line with the films but without Benson I never would of gotten into literary Bond. He was my first foray and as an adult I still reread his books
    Faulks I hate Devil May Care
    Deaver this on disappointed me A LOT this was everything I wanted in a bond novel Modern setting dark and gritty feel but yet it sucks so much. Honestly after this I firmly believe a modern Bond thriller (outside from the films) is dead and some people are happy with that I am of course not Fleming never meant for 007 to be a period piece but for some reason a modern bond fighting terrorists jetting in and out of countries in our world seems hard for some people to accept
    Boyd Oh dear god where to begin with this garbage. it sucks it's boring Boyd has no concept of action or adventure the plot is paper thin the whole thing is rubbish and easily is the worst bond novel I have ever read.

I will read Trigger Mortis (though I was praying it would be set in the modern time line) at least I have The Patriot (I believe that is the title) comeing out in September as well as Brad Meltzer's the inner circle to scratch my modern thriller itch.

Btw I know I would be Curcifed for saying this but what if we had two novel series

Horrowitz to do in fleming's time line
    Brad Meltzer to do a modern Bond that takes place in our time line not holdent to the Fleming (similar to deaver)
    I found certain parts of Boyd's book quite Flemingsque and entertaining but as to why he didn't put more effort into the plot is anyone's guess. Overall, it's pretty lacklustre.

@Birdleson We never heard what happened to Solitaire, Gala Brand, Tatiana Romanava and maybe others, unless my memory fails me. Oh wait a minute, Fleming mentioned where they went at the end didn't he?

In a way, having a strong, independent woman like Pussy, is more relevant to today's audiences.

@ClarkDevlin 'The Facts of Death' - maybe that's it.

@TriggerMortis Have you read reviews?
    edited June 2015 Posts: 4,399
    i honestly never finished Carte Blanche... i got as far as Bond impersonating some sort of business man (or something) - then the villain thinks he has Bond cornered in a lie with his office location, then Bond surprises him with an elaborate ruse... out of what i read thus far, that was the only part I didn't care for - creating such an elaborate setup just to throw the villain off his scent seemed rather convenient, and kind of a cop out, and just plain ridiculous...

but i loved the part at the beginning with the train, and i thought there was a real suspenseful moment when Bond thought the villain was going to blow up an art museum, and Bond was rushing to get there - a literal ticking bomb type of moment that i felt was pretty Bond-esque.. not to mention the bit with building demolition site i thought was really well written, and something i could picture Bond being caught in... but i still have to finish this, then I have to start Solo - i'll probably end up buying Trigger Mortis and letting it sit before i actually start reading it lol.
  • Bounine wrote: »

@TriggerMortis Have you read reviews?

Just snippets. Charlie Higson, who's opinion I appreciate a lot, proclaimed it a massive success and said something like; "at last a big, bold Bond novel - everything 007 fans could wish for".
    I'm a huge 'Young Bond' fan (Higson not Cole) so that will do for me. Beyond that, I've picket up other online reactions from people who have read advanced copies and all have been favourable.

I also had the opportunity to talk to Horowitz at a 'Moriarty' signing about TM and there is absolutely no doubt that he has delivered. He loves Bond and Fleming and there is no doubt this has been a labour of love. We can safely fasten our seat belts!

My big wish right now is that Bentley are going to do a special edition for the launch.
    I don't like the UK cover art and the U.S. edition is even worse which is a damn shame.
    There's an interesting touch on the UK hardcover - they've embossed the skull motif on the front board - a clear nod to Chopping's 'Goldfinger'.

If the UK cover art had been for a re-release of Deighton's 'Billion Dollar Brain' it would have worked. I get the idea but it just doesn't work for a Bond novel. IFP should recruit an artist and insist on him or her as part of the deal otherwise the publishers are going to make a dog's dinner.

Ironically, although the book is too dire for words, I found the UK Hardcover art for SOLO a real grower.

Come on Bentley we need you to race to the rescue and do something fabulous - with Sir Stirling Moss behind the wheel and Nurburgring Grand Prix featured it should make for fabulous PR and you can usurp Aston before SPECTRE comes out!

@Bounine - What's more interesting is that the novel was originally called The World Is Not Enough, before the script for the 19th Bond film decided to take that title, so that draws us closer to the suspicion that it actually was Benson's proposed Bond film storyline. :)
    I was wondering if Eon knew that IFP had intended to use this title.