S.P.E.C.T.R.E. = The Illuminati?

in SPECTRE Posts: 352
In the most recent teaser for SPECTRE, we see Christoph Waltz at a table, in a dark room, with other shadowy figures. Do you think SPECTRE is a symbol of The Illuminati in the Bond universe? Or is it strictly an independent terrorist organization?

Comments

That depends What do you mean by 'symbol'?

Is SPECTRE symbolic of what we in the real modern day world believe to be the illumnnati? Yes I would say this is clearly demonstrated by him sitting at a table. in a dark room with other shadowy figures.

But if you are saying SPECTRE is a branch of the illumtani in the James bond world, I find this hard to believe.
    Each of the Bond movies keeps up with the times and uses plots/villains that are central to the current events of the time of filming. Due to the economic crisis, terrorism, and other major events today, secret societies and the Illuminati keep being brought up.

So, I wonder, if this is EON's way of bringing today's issue of economic terrorism to the film.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I don't know about SPECTRE being the Illuminati; but what we've see so fare does have an "Eyes Wide Shut", secret society vibe to it.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Each of the Bond movies keeps up with the times and uses plots/villains that are central to the current events of the time of filming. Due to the economic crisis, terrorism, and other major events today, secret societies and the Illuminati keep being brought up.

So, I wonder, if this is EON's way of bringing today's issue of economic terrorism to the film.

Secret societies keep being brought up by whom? I can't say I hear them mentioned often, except in jest.
    talos7 wrote: »
    I don't know about SPECTRE being the Illuminati; but what we've see so fare does have an "Eyes Wide Shut", secret society vibe to it.

Agreed. With more clothes though.

And to answer to the OP no SPECTRE is not the Illuminati.
    It may not be the "illumanti" as we know it but there are parallels between the illuminati and SPECTRE. this is undeniable.
    Digressing just a little - I can't wait to see how ruthless Christoph Waltz will be. It's going to be this twisted dark sense of humor, very maniacal/sociopathic.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    You might find this thread on AJB Forums of interest:

http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/24331/spectre-and-the-illuminati/
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Bond works for the Illuminati. SPECTRE is something else.
    @Dragonpol - Thanks so much for that bit! It's quite interesting indeed, and I enjoyed reaching the piece. Lots to think about!
    I guess one similarity is that both are fictitious ;)
    Ummm.....? how do you know they are both fictitious?

The Freemasons are real.
    Well the Illuminati certainly did exist at a time but whether it exists now and even then in the form that a myriad of conspiracy theorists suggest is another matter altogether.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Well the Illuminati certainly did exist at a time but whether it exists now and even then in the form that a myriad of conspiracy theorists suggest is another matter altogether.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it @Sark

Pretty obviously I didn't mean that no organization called 'illuminati' ever existed, but that 'the Illuminati' as conceived in the OP doesn't exist.
    Sark wrote: »

Pretty obviously I didn't mean that no organization called 'illuminati' ever existed, but that 'the Illuminati' as conceived in the OP doesn't exist.

Well, yes of course. But then many conspiracy nuts believe it does exist SPECTRE-like nefariously influencing world events! What ya gonna do? :))
    Wether they exist in reality or not, such secret organisations per definitionem lend themselves outstandingly as dramatic vehicles for Bond films. That´s why they were used right from the start. Their suitability as dramatic device makes it of course difficult to distinguish how much of what we´ve seen and will see on the cinema screen parallels reality. For decades, Blofeld having doppelgängers crafted surgically was considered totally unrealistic, until in the early 90s Saddam Hussein had himself some doppelgängers made. A secret organisation convening during an opera festival seems clever and realistic, yet it wasn´t liked by a lot of viewers.

Ian Fleming many times showed a knack for the occult, and any organisation convening in a shadowy ambiente has the potential to look good in a cinematic adaption.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The new Spectre logo is a Jewish Menora upside-down. Just saying...

So you do not think there are international groups that drive global events? That organisations such as JP Morgan, the IMF, etc etc do not heavily influence national events? That the invasion of Iraq, destabilisation of Libya and Syria are not related to big business? That the Bilderberg Group meetings are simply a three day social events? That the global banking crisis was just a big unforseeable accident?
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Wether they exist in reality or not, such secret organisations per definitionem lend themselves outstandingly as dramatic vehicles for Bond films. That´s why they were used right from the start. Their suitability as dramatic device makes it of course difficult to distinguish how much of what we´ve seen and will see on the cinema screen parallels reality. For decades, Blofeld having doppelgängers crafted surgically was considered totally unrealistic, until in the early 90s Saddam Hussein had himself some doppelgängers made. A secret organisation convening during an opera festival seems clever and realistic, yet it wasn´t liked by a lot of viewers.

Ian Fleming many times showed a knack for the occult, and any organisation convening in a shadowy ambiente has the potential to look good in a cinematic adaption.

It is about time we see evil secret organizations in Bond movies. They have been abandoned (well, by they I mean SPECTRE) for criminal businessmen and freelance criminals for a long while.

I wonder if Bond is now catching up on a trend he inspired in the first place. We have recurring menaces in many superhero movies, some of them inspired by the SPECTRE of old.
    Troy wrote: »

So you do not think there are international groups that drive global events? That organisations such as JP Morgan, the IMF, etc etc do not heavily influence national events? That the invasion of Iraq, destabilisation of Libya and Syria are not related to big business? That the Bilderberg Group meetings are simply a three day social events? That the global banking crisis was just a big unforseeable accident?

Yes and no.
    CPB = Criminals Pretending to be Businessmen
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Troy wrote: »

Conceptually, yes, I agree with you. There are actors that effectively behave like Illuminati and have such power in world affairs (collectively).
    There are undoubtedly some very dark forces in the world (there probably always have been) but whether this is the work of an organisation like the Illuminati or other smaller disparate groups is open to question. That is the nature of conspiracy theories - they are incomplete and uncertain.
  • RC7RC7
    edited July 2015 Posts: 10,512
    That is the nature of conspiracy theories - they are incomplete and uncertain.

And usually perpetuated by a certain type of person. Some people spend so much time in a bubble they allow their thoughts to manifest as truth. How many times have you seen an acquaintance, or friend overthink a personal situation to the point where they've convinced themselves of a scenario that is a) just one of many possibilities and b) completely unsubstantiated, yet to them it is unequivocally the only possibility.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    What's with people obsession over The Illuminati these days?
    Let SPECTRE just be SPECTRE please.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    The Illuminati don't exist ? Sounds just the sort of thing the
    Illuminati would say ! :D
    you caught me。
  • RC7RC7
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    What's with people obsession over The Illuminati these days?
    Let SPECTRE just be SPECTRE please.

Some people are obsessed with finding correlations in things. Everything has to be like something else for them to understand it.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I fail to see why we should go there is all. Spectre is a great creation by the wonderful Ian Fleming. That should be enough. There is no real-world connection, no Illuminati link, nothing besides what's in Fleming's novels or in the movies.