Rest In Peace, show your respects to those who have passed away.

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I'm crushed to have to write these words, but Richard Johnson has passed away, aged 87. A damn fine actor whom worked in different genres of film. He was also my choice for the best Bond that never was. Watch 'Deadlier Than The Male', 'Some Girls Do' & 'Danger Route' to see that Johnson easily could have been Bond, had he wanted to (not been under MGM contract at the time).

R.I.P. Richard Johnson. :(
    Tariq Aziz , Saddams propaganda minister.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Yes, sad to hear of the death of Richard Johnson, a potential James Bond at one stage.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited June 2015 Posts: 3,262
    I'm crushed to have to write these words, but Richard Johnson has passed away, aged 87. A damn fine actor whom worked in different genres of film. He was also my choice for the best Bond that never was. Watch 'Deadlier Than The Male', 'Some Girls Do' & 'Danger Route' to see that Johnson easily could have been Bond, had he wanted to (not been under MGM contract at the time).

R.I.P. Richard Johnson. :(

Condolences, Major. I heard the news and thought of you. I even updated my profile picture to honor his memory.
    Hey @prince Long time!
    Yes, Johnson's films were genre classics.
    DTTM. Doesn't get much better than that.
    edited June 2015 Posts: 3,262
    timmer wrote: »
    Hey @prince Long time!

Greetings, my Canadian friend. :) I've kind of been taking a break from the world of Bond for the last year and a half and trying to keep spoiler-free for SPECTRE. However, I did go see Goldfinger on a big cinema screen for the first time today. In fact, it's the first James Bond film made prior to 1977 that I've seen on the big screen. I hope you're still the big defender of Tiffany Case and the 1962-1974 Harry Saltzman era of Bond cinema that I remember.
    timmer wrote: »
    Yes, Johnson's films were genre classics.
    DTTM. Doesn't get much better than that.

I agree on DTTM. Its sequel not so much.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited June 2015 Posts: 13,894
    @PrinceKamalKhan, welcome back friend. :)

I was aware of Johnson's age, but the news still surprised me. I watched DTTM yesterday. Fantastic film. Dashing hero, beautiful women (esp Sommer, who can be both villainous and playful in equal measure), sinister villains, humour ("That's what comes from letting success get to your head") and a little dose of globetrotting. SGD, I think Johnson is still great, but the film verges a little too into campness for my taste. Johnson doesn't display the charsima or charm that he does in DTTM, but if you are up for a more sombre spy thriller, I would also recommend 'Danger Route'.

Excellent choice on the avatar, btw.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 11,189
    I must confess I didn't know him well as an actor but, looking through his filmography, it's interesting to see he played Bulldog Drummond twice.

He also looks a bit like Timothy Dalton in later years with that beard.

...and he was actually in the Royal Navy too.
    @PrinceKamalKhan, welcome back friend. :)

I was aware of Johnson's age, but the news still surprised me. I watched DTTM yesterday. Fantastic film. Dashing hero, beautiful women (esp Sommer, who can be both villainous and playful in equal measure), sinister villains, humour ("That's what comes from letting success get to your head") and a little dose of globetrotting. SGD, I think Johnson is still great, but the film verges a little too into campness for my taste. Johnson doesn't display the charsima or charm that he does in DTTM, but if you are up for a more sombre spy thriller, I would also recommend 'Danger Route'.

Excellent choice on the avatar, btw.

Thank you, Major. I'll need to check 'Danger Route'.

It's currently on youtube:

Interesting that it has CR'67's Miss Moneypenny in it. Along with Carol Lynley, Sylvia Sims and Miss Diana Dors. Quite an impressive female supporting cast.
    edited June 2015 Posts: 13,894
    I bought my copy of Stojo, it's a decent enough DVDr. Unfortunately, I don't think an official copy will be along anytime soon. With that in mind, get it by any means necessary. But don't expect it to be like DTTM. It's a bleak film.
    I don't know if this is true but I've just read that Christopher Lee has passed away :(
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I don't know if this is true but I've just read that Christopher Lee has passed away :(

Yes, it's true.

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Sadly yes, A few papers have reported the sad passing of Christopher Lee.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    A separate thread for Christopher Lee is now open. Feel free to use that.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Oh no. That is very sad. I know which Bond film I'll be watching tonight.
    Christopher Lee - personal hero. Also, the end of an era moviewise. I'll have a Lee-marathon tonight in his honor.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited June 2015 Posts: 4,446
    RIP Christopher Lee (22 Mei 1922 - 07 Juni 2015)

francisco_scaramanga_christopher_lee_the_man_with_the_golden_gun.png
    Stunned and depressed to hear of the passing of Christopher Lee. His contributions to the acting world are unparalleled; I've been a fan for about as long as I've been watching movies. RIP Mr. Lee :( thank you for your immense legacy.
    Haven't opened this thread for a while, had no idea that Louis Jordan (as well as many others) had passed. RIP. And of course Christopher Lee, shocking news, a real legend. And I know I'm late with this but sorry to hear about your dad @Creasy47, I remember you talking about him on here before. My condolences to you and your family.
    RIP Sir Christopher Lee. Posted my thoughts in the other thread.
    RIP Christopher Lee. I was very sad and shocked when I heard about it...
    I've just learned that fellow countryman Pierre Brice died, aged 86, on june 6th. Our German friends will recognize him as Winnetou, the famous Apache chief, in the movies inspired by the works of Karl May. Virtually unknown in his native France, he was a star in Germany.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Brice

• edited June 2015 Posts: 188
    Gerard wrote: »
    I've just learned that fellow countryman Pierre Brice died, aged 86, on june 6th. Our German friends will recognize him as Winnetou, the famous Apache chief, in the movies inspired by the works of Karl May. Virtually unknown in his native France, he was a star in Germany.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Brice

He was huge in Germany.
    When I was little (maybe 7 or 8), I didn't know whether to crush on him or whether I wanted to be like his character. The Winnetou movies were my in into adult adventure fare, and I went on to read all the books (some as many as 7 times) on which this character was based.
    Pierre Brice will always have a special place in my heart.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 1,310
    Shocking and sudden news, James Horner, the Oscar winning film composer, has been killed in a plane crash.

I am absolutely in love with his Wrath of Khan score. He composed many other scores such as The Rocketeer, Star Trek III, Aliens, Titanic, Avatar and The Amazing Spider-Man amongst many others.

His passing is totally out of nowhere. RIP.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    It's confirmed? He was piloting his plane?
    It's confirmed? He was piloting his plane?
    Unfortunately, it seems so. In the link I posted his assistant confirmed the news.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited June 2015 Posts: 7,981
    It's very sad, he created many wonderful scores

One of his earliest and best.

This is sad news to wake up to.

Personally I love his score to Jumanji

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Really sad news. RIP James. He composed many of my favorite film scores. Here's one of my favorite pieces of his.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    i am a grown up almost 31 year old man, and this music (along with the scene) gets me misty eyed every time - can't help it..