The James Bond Debate Thread - 336 Craig looks positively younger in SP than he does in SF.

Comments

• edited May 2015 Posts: 4,813
    Thesis 327

I've never thought about that before. But seeing as how Connery couldn't give a crap about Tracy's death either way, lol Then I guess that order would make more sense.
    At least Blofeld and Bond would properly recognize each other now!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I actually believe that you can ignore either OHMSS or YOLT (but not both) and the Blofeld issue will resolve itself.
    I actually disagree. Blofeld introduces himself to Bond in YOLT as they meet for the first time, in no uncertain terms, which would make absolutely no sense had they ever met before. And, while Bond is inexplicably of good nature in DAF after the events of OHMSS, the same could have been said had YOLT happened after.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 327</b></font>

(Inspired by an interesting conversation in another thread)
    <font color=blue size=7><b>Watching OHMSS before YOLT makes more sense in terms of continuity.</b></font>

Never thought about it before? But as pointed out above Blofeld first introduces himself in YOLT. And the order of the films is how I have always seen them.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Disagree. You have to view OHMSS as a standalone film, a parallell universe to the Connery films.
    I disagree - I actually made my current Bondathon revolve around fixing errors in the series' continuity such as this.

The order I came up with was YOLT, DAF, TMWTGG, OHMSS, FYEO. I figured that this order works due to the fact that from Diamonds, we can assume that Henderson in Twice was actually a clone planted by the real Blofeld. After a break in the SPECTRE story (by this time in my timeline, I needed a break from the Bond/Blofeld conflict stories! Also, TMWTGG has a very good connection to Diamonds in the pre-title sequence.) we pick back up where Blofeld now wants amnesty for his past crimes.

A bit crazy, I know. That said, the actually tone shifts between films actually feels like it progresses. TMWTGG helps shift the tone of the series slightly so it doesn't seem so jarring going from one end of the spectrum to the other.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I agree with @Thunderfinger ,I look at OHMSS as a stand alone story. ;)
    For me the Bond films are six separate series, each featuring a single actor, much like the literary Bond written by different authors. Thus the chronology relates only to those films in each series. I no longer waste my time trying to somehow establish a chronology or connection between the films of different actors. Clearly it wasn't important to the producers.

The idea of imagining the cartoonish YOLT came after the brilliant OHMSS doesn't work for me.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I have heard a few fans say keep ohmss as a separate film, then in DAF Bond in
    The PTS is out for revenge for the killing of Aki. Hence why it starts in Japan ? ;)
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 832
    I disagree. I doubt that even as early as From Russia with Love that Blofeld didn't know Bond's appearance. Also I thought his tone in YOLT suggested that he knew what Bond looked like previously. Although it is sort of stupid, my explanation is just that the disguise in OHMSS worked, which really doesn't bother me.
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    I disagree. I doubt that even as early as From Russia with Love that Blofeld didn't know Bond's appearance. Also I thought his tone in YOLT suggested that he knew what Bond looked like previously. Although it is sort of stupid, my explanation is just that the disguise in OHMSS worked, which really doesn't bother me.

My explanation is that both disguises worked: Japanese-Bond in YOLT (okay he didn't have it anymore, but maybe some makeup was left or something) and academic Bond in OHMSS.
    Disagree. OHMSS stands by itself. YOLT-DAF is a more sensible watching order.
    Both disguises were about as convincing as no one recognizing Clark Kent without his glasses. Imagining the producers were actually concerned about such things is giving them far too much credit. The DAF PTS was a joke that turned Tracy's death into a cheap and silly bit designed to quickly eliminate the memories of GL and OHMSS. Little could the producers have imagined OHMSS would gain in stature over the years, while DAF went on to achieve some level of mediocrity.
    I once had a little theory (not one I necessarily think works 100%, but a theory nonetheless) that the Blofeld in YOLT was a stand-in of sorts, while the real Blofeld (Anthony Dawson/Eric Pohlman) remained in hiding, up until OHMSS, where he and Bond finally come face-to-face. After the events of the film, where Blofeld's neck is broken, he goes into hiding yet again, this time leaving some other dude in charge, who in turn makes lots of doubles of himself. The new Blofeld is killed in the opening teaser of DAF, leaving some random stand-in in charge, which can explain his odd behavior throughout the movie: he's just an actor suddenly in charge of a big terrorist organization. Eventually, the real Blofeld re-emerges by the time of FYEO (notice the similarities between John Hollis and Telly Savalas), slightly crazed ("I'll buy you a delicatessen...in stainless steel!!") and out for revenge, resulting in his rather undignified death.

Now there are a few hiccups to this theory, one being Bond automatically recognizing Charles Gray is the beginning of DAF as Blofeld, but I still rather like this theory.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    You know what? I'll just go for the Mad Max approach: these are all stories told about a legendary agent. They all hold a grain of truth but in their passage through the years details got mixed up so the stories don't connect that well. It also helps with small inconveniences like the car-alley shift in DAF and the boat in QoS beeing launched by apparently connecting the anker to water. It also solves the changing of actors, and the age and time setting.
    CrabKey wrote: »
    Both disguises were about as convincing as no one recognizing Clark Kent without his glasses. Imagining the producers were actually concerned about such things is giving them far too much credit. The DAF PTS was a joke that turned Tracy's death into a cheap and silly bit designed to quickly eliminate the memories of GL and OHMSS. Little could the producers have imagined OHMSS would gain in stature over the years, while DAF went on to achieve some level of mediocrity.

Yes but like Clark Kent it goes with the genre and time.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 328</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>GE offers the most realistic portrayal of the Russian military.</b></font>
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I dunno... That tank chase seems to prove otherwise...
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    They are not drunk enough. :)
    Don't know enough about them to judge.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited May 2015 Posts: 7,978
    They only fire blanks? I wish thatwere so. I think Octopussy does a better job.
    They obviously trained at the Storm Troopers school of target practice.
    I dunno, I've never been in the Russian military.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    GE is the ONLY portrayal of the "Russian" military. They were "Soviets" prior to that.
    TripAces wrote: »
    GE is the ONLY portrayal of the "Russian" military. They were "Soviets" prior to that.

Good point.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Does anyone here really know enough about the Russian military to say yea or nay to this thesis?
    edited June 2015 Posts: 7,978
    Sark wrote: »
    Does anyone here really know enough about the Russian military to say yea or nay to this thesis?

well, apparently this is at about the same place as GE's chase:

they have some nice music in the Red Army:

(and stay as they were, they sing themselves, so Soviet Union and Russia's military, as they both are the 'red army' are 'the same friendly service'.

Oh, and they're pretty good at playing 'Command & Conquer: Red Alert (II)'.

• CJBCJB
    The Russian military costumes in GE looked about half a century out of date. I'm not keen-eyed enough to notice, but apparently the epaulets in the 1995 bit of the film still had CA (which in English stands for Soviet Army) on them.

So nah.
    I'm going to have to go with Octopussy on this one. The Russians in GE are too bumbling, incompetent, and inefficient to be taken seriously. Bond seems to be two steps ahead of them even when he's up against dozens of them. Then again if those are the standards of the Russian military than maybe GE was right on the money.
    One thing I'd like to find out?

Are Russian soldiers immediately shot on the spot if they make a potentially deadly mistake?