Wow. Big shock
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Yes if the exit poll is right WOW! And the Lib-dems have taken one hell
    of a beating.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 14,865
    DrGorner wrote: »
    Yes if the exit poll is right WOW! And the Lib-dems have taken one hell
    of a beating.

Ironic, I voted for them, knowing they'd get a beating.
    Are there actually people in here who adhere to the opposite word of "Conservatives"? That is..."Progressives"? In all honesty, I am 200% progressive. And I find it sometimes a bit worrying that we lost the meaning of this word, especially during elections.

If one did study Political Science, then I'm wondering if someone in here has seen this graph before. It's the "Political Landscape Graph" that I usually look at during our elections (The Netherlands):
    Pol-landschap-2010.gif

The graph is divided into "Left", "Conservative", "Right" and "Progressive". Being progressive does not necessarily mean that one is a leftist, and being conservative doesn't necessarily mean that one is right-wing.

Actually, the division "Left-Right" is usually about "state run by government" vs. "free market thinking". But if one is left-wing, this could still mean certain left-wing ideas are actually very conservative. For instance, not changing government-run health care, and keeping it like it is; status quo. The other thing can be said about right-wing-minded people, who could sometimes turn out to be very progressive, as they want to change more in terms of free market thinking.

Here comes the division "Conservative-Progressive" into place, which is mostly focused on the amount of radical change a political party is willing to achieve combined with the attitude towards certain civil/human rights (think for instance about gay marriage). In fact, the UK is quite unique with this, as the governing parties Tories and LibDems (foremost Tories) paved the way towards gay marriage in the entire UK, which is a typical example of being progressive, while actually supporting a right-wing party (Tories).

The party I am member of in The Netherlands is D66:
    logo1.jpg
    They were founded in, indeed, 1966, when young people were asking for radical change in terms of state-structure and type of governance, so that it could result in a better functioning and better representative democracy.

Anyway, as you can see in the graph, D66 is strictly centrist on the scale "Left-Right", whereas on the scale "Progressive-Conservative" D66 is very progressive. As compared to the UK, D66 (social/progressive liberal) can be seen as a sister party of the more cetrist/left-wing minded Liberal Democrats. VVD (conservative liberal) is also a sister party of Liberal Democrats, but they can be more compared with the right-wing parts of Liberal Democrats or the more progressive minded Tories.

Now my question for you dear neighbours across the Channel ;-):
    Where would you place the party you have supported / will support today on the above graph? Please let me know.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 686
    Maybe George Osborne will get a promotion. In my opinion, I wish that either the UK or the US could produce another "Iron Lady" or "Copperknob" or even "Dutch".
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2015 Posts: 15,694
    Daily Mirror frontpage seen on twitter: 'Five more damned years?'
    Ed Balls is rumoured to have been defeated...
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    The Strange Death of Liberal England - Part II.
    So Labour might have lost their Balls ? :))
    It's going to be an interesting night, that's clear already.
    A lot of big names, will be looking for another day job. ;)
    If the exit poll is correct, Clegg doesn't have much choice. Rumours are that Farage has lost the Thanet South vote, and he promised to leave if that were the case. Balls is rumoured to go.

JCRendle wrote: »
    If the exit poll is correct, Clegg doesn't have much choice. Rumours are that Farage has lost the Thanet South vote, and he promised to leave if that were the case. Balls is rumoured to go.

Well if true, good riddance to them both!
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Apparently George Galloway is a goner.
    Perdogg wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Apparently George Galloway is a goner.
    And he's been reported to the police by the returning officer for breaking the law.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Meet UK politics very own James Bond and my prediction for the next leader of the Labour party

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1367974/MP-Dan-Jarvis-Widowed-father-juggling-politics-bringing-2-children.html
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited May 2015 Posts: 9,117
    Just when you think that the moronic general public are going to let you down and leave you with a student union rep as PM having his strings pulled by wee Jimmy Krankie and they pull out a result like that.

• Farage, Miliband and Clegg all looking for new jobs. Top Gear looking to re-launch. My work here is done.
    Just when you think that the moronic general public are going to let you down and leave you with a student union rep as PM having his strings pulled by wee Jimmy Krankie and they pull out a result like that.

I think Cameron has actually done a very good job in this election. I predicted a slim majority for the Conservatives and am very glad that they have achieved this.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Dragonpol if you had been willing to put your money where your mouth was you would have raked a fortune. A Glasgow man bet £30,000 on a Tory majority today he collected his £210,000 winnings.
    I'm not a betting man. ;)

I was delighted to see the UUP gain two seats in South Antrim and Fermanagh and South Tyrone. :)
    Are there actually people in here who adhere to the opposite word of "Conservatives"? That is..."Progressives"? In all honesty, I am 200% progressive. And I find it sometimes a bit worrying that we lost the meaning of this word, especially during elections.

If one did study Political Science, then I'm wondering if someone in here has seen this graph before. It's the "Political Landscape Graph" that I usually look at during our elections (The Netherlands):
    Pol-landschap-2010.gif

The graph is divided into "Left", "Conservative", "Right" and "Progressive". Being progressive does not necessarily mean that one is a leftist, and being conservative doesn't necessarily mean that one is right-wing.

Actually, the division "Left-Right" is usually about "state run by government" vs. "free market thinking". But if one is left-wing, this could still mean certain left-wing ideas are actually very conservative. For instance, not changing government-run health care, and keeping it like it is; status quo. The other thing can be said about right-wing-minded people, who could sometimes turn out to be very progressive, as they want to change more in terms of free market thinking.

Here comes the division "Conservative-Progressive" into place, which is mostly focused on the amount of radical change a political party is willing to achieve combined with the attitude towards certain civil/human rights (think for instance about gay marriage). In fact, the UK is quite unique with this, as the governing parties Tories and LibDems (foremost Tories) paved the way towards gay marriage in the entire UK, which is a typical example of being progressive, while actually supporting a right-wing party (Tories).

The party I am member of in The Netherlands is D66:
    logo1.jpg
    They were founded in, indeed, 1966, when young people were asking for radical change in terms of state-structure and type of governance, so that it could result in a better functioning and better representative democracy.

Anyway, as you can see in the graph, D66 is strictly centrist on the scale "Left-Right", whereas on the scale "Progressive-Conservative" D66 is very progressive. As compared to the UK, D66 (social/progressive liberal) can be seen as a sister party of the more cetrist/left-wing minded Liberal Democrats. VVD (conservative liberal) is also a sister party of Liberal Democrats, but they can be more compared with the right-wing parts of Liberal Democrats or the more progressive minded Tories.

Now my question for you dear neighbours across the Channel ;-):
    Where would you place the party you have supported / will support today on the above graph? Please let me know.

Hey dear UK-friends, I was still wondering if you could give me an answer to the question above ;-).
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    I can't remember the last time that I enjoyed a general election this much :D
    Mrcoggins wrote: »

Me too! A Conservative majority and two new UUP MPs returned to Westminster - Danny Kinahan in South Antrim and Tom Elliott in Fermanagh and South Tyrone. A pity though that Jo-Anne Dobson did not defeat the DUP's David Simpson in Upper Bann, although she was a close second.
    It was a slow start, but it definitely got interesting. I voted yesterday at about 8.30. and watched the results throughout the night. I've been awake for about 35 hours now.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Mrcoggins wrote: »

Indeed. Almost back to the glory days of Maggie!! And even she didnt manage to inflict such blanket resignations upon her opponents. Fair play to Cameron - I didnt think he had the minerals but hes the daddy now.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 12,837
    There was no way I was gonna vote for UKIP or the Tories, the Lib Dems let me down last time and while I'm a lefty Labour haven't impressed me either, so I thought f**k it I'll vote for the Green Party. I knew they wouldn't win and tbh they seem like a bit of a joke but I had nobody else to vote for really and apparently they've said that they'd get rid of the royals which is what sold me on them.
    the glory days of Maggie!!

Guessing you're not working class then.
    Is it fair to say that Miliband cost the Labour party a lot of seats? The guy never really seemed like a true leader...
    Is it fair to say that Miliband cost the Labour party a lot of seats? The guy never really seemed like a true leader...

He was one of the reasons I didn't vote for them despite normally voting Labour in the past (with a few exceptions like in 2010 when I voted for the Lib Dems).
    Scottish nationalism cost Labour a lot of seats too in their former heartland of Scotland.