Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• Have any of the Aaron Tylor Johnson devotees seen Anna Karenina?...

His acting isn't as bad as that of Rupert Friend, though.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I agree with those regarding Courtney. I too liked him in Spartacus but he's been mediocre and bland in everything else he 's done.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Will be too old but stick him in the mixer Richard Artmitage

http://www-images.theonering.org/torwp/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/RA-BW.jpg
    edited April 2015 Posts: 2,138
    Henry Lloyd-Hughes Born born 1986 British up and coming, was in Harry Potter when he was younger, doing a lot of theeatre and in the new Channel 4 drama Indian summer. FYI was also in Anna Karenina LOL

http://thedigitaltrekker.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/indian_summers_20140506-128.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1631222/
    It's a shame he's only a couple of years younger than Craig, because I agree with you, I think Richard Artmitage could have been a great Bond. Loved him in Strike Back.
  • AVBAVB
    edited April 2015 Posts: 97
    With all due respect some of you must be high: Aaron Johnson, Kevin Costner, Daniel Ratcliffe, Ryan Gosling, Idris Elba, JAI COURTNEY??? Shocking suggestions. what planet are you on people?

McGregor would have tanked the series too. I think Fiennes could have easily been a great, serious Bond in his English Patient era:

44c81ccd39ad6993e48f4c2ec013277d.jpg

As for now, Fassbender most likely. Perhaps an Armitage aswell, but I reckon they might need a bit of a name post-Craig.
  • AVBAVB
    edited April 2015 Posts: 97
    TFC1 wrote: »
    Luke+Evans+Fast+Furious+6+Premieres+London+uthNowZCTSHl.jpg

I think he is too harsh looking, you could land a helicopter on that forehead.

Quite a dumb thing to write, considering his forehead isn't even big(?). Craig has a high forehead and he looks harsh as fuck. As did Connery. As does Fassbender. God forbid he ever land the part on account of his forehead being too big. God why am I replying to this nonsense...

Luke Evans looks alright actually. I see the appeal.

TripAces wrote: »
    My Top Five:

1. Jai Courtney
    2. Aaron Taylor Johnson
    3. Rupert Friend.
    4. Matthew Goode (would need to hit the gym)
    5. Tom Hardy (I like him, but he may be too old for the part when it comes around)

Jai Courtney - I'd say he's out of the running simply because he seems to be grabbing any big action offer that comes his way - he did Die Hard, Divergent (and sequels), has Terminator (and sequels?) and Suicide Squad (and sequels?) coming up. File under "too overexposed"

Aaron Taylor Johnson - I'm only basing this on Godzilla, but I found him to be wooden and forgettable.

Rupert Friend - I kind of want to see Hitman because I like the games, but...I don't really see it, he has a bit of a strange, weaselly look. Though maybe I'll think he's brilliant after Hitman, ha.

Matthew Goode - Isn't he kind of...over? He had a brief leading man spell in the mid 00s but never really took off, and now he's doing TV. Never really stood out to me.

Tom Hardy - Probably too established in his own right, especially if Mad Max takes off.

As for people mentioning Luke Evans...physically, not a bad choice but isn't he...openly...ya know? (Google it!) Not that there's anything wrong with that...but not for Bond, surely.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited April 2015 Posts: 13,894
    What about James D'arcy from Broadchurch and Agent Carter?137484_8463_ful.jpg
    He looks to me like a cross between Fleming and Hoagy Carmichael, whom Bond is said to have looked like in the books.

D'arcy is an excellent choice, I have suggested him in the past. :D He has even played Ian Fleming...
    2701Age-of-Heroes-Photo-Nick-Wall-James-DArcy_lr.jpg

He's a decent actor, who is yet not a household name, and he fits the classic Bond mould of tall dark and handsome. But he might be too old for Bond, by the time Craig walks away.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 11,425
    AVB wrote: »
    With all due respect some of you must be high: Aaron Johnson, Kevin Costner, Daniel Ratcliffe, Ryan Gosling, Idris Elba, JAI COURTNEY??? Shocking suggestions. what planet are you on people?

McGregor would have tanked the series too. I think Fiennes could have easily been a great, serious Bond in his English Patient era:

44c81ccd39ad6993e48f4c2ec013277d.jpg

As for now, Fassbender most likely. Perhaps an Armitage aswell, but I reckon they might need a bit of a name post-Craig.

Shame we never got Fiennes as Bond.

Fassbender would also be Great but getting too old I suspect.

I really do think we've reached a point where a period Bond movie - ideally set in the 1950s - would be fantastic. The original timeline has been blown away, which I don't really mind any way, so why not go the whole hog and go back in time?

I think it will happen one day. Now they've rebooted once then all options are open. Fassbender as 1950s Bond would be fantastic.

I don't see as requiring to be a very big budget movie - could be quite small scale, focused on characters and the story.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I have personally not been in favour of a black actor taking over as James Bond just because I'd prefer if he remain white - and it's just a personal preference.

Having said that, when I see some of the names that have been bandied about here (Robert Pattinson, Aaron Taylor Johnson, Jai Courtney, Jamie Bell, Jonathan Rhys Meyers or Rupert Friend - all of whom are lacking in the screen presence required for Bond) I'm actually leaning towards personally starting an internet campaign to recommend and insist on Idris Elba as Bond.

At least the man has Connery'esque ruggedness, is an excellent actor and has 'x factor' charisma in spades, unlike some of these poster boys being mentioned here. He's in a completely different league from the names I noted above.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Get Brosnan back, he still looks the part. ;)
    M-041_NM_07457rv1.jpg
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 11,425
    No - they should get Dalton back!

And I agree that Elba is a lot better than most of the alternatives mentioned. Jonathan Rhys Myers... my heart sinks. If that ever happened I would be truly gutted. Hope Babs and MGW have the courage to push forward with what they've started with DC and go for another proper actor, or someone with the real charisma to make up for formal training (like Connery).
    Getafix wrote: »

I say bring back both.
    Murdock wrote: »

I say bring back both.

They could do alternating movies, or have parallel narratives...

edited April 2015 Posts: 16,330
    Murdock wrote: »

I say bring back both.

They could do alternating movies, or have parallel narratives...

That would be awesome. Kind of like that Animated short film featuring an older version of Connery's Bond.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Thanks for posting that, @Murdock.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Like Evans could be a good shout. I need to check out 'Dracula Untold' and see.
    TripAces wrote: »
    My Top Five:

1. Jai Courtney (though he's an Aussie). He's a bad ass. Has mostly played villains, was downright malicious in Jack Reacher. He already has the looks and build for the part. He's the right age, too.

courtney-729-20140212094002424882-620x349.jpg

2. Aaron Taylor Johnson (though @DaltonCraig007 makes agood point about his affiliation with other franchises)

aaron-2-2014-LORENZO-AGIUS.jpg?v=20140516121628

3. Rupert Friend.

rupert-friend.jpg

4. Matthew Goode (would need to hit the gym)

474250151_sdv7s-o.jpg

5. Tom Hardy (I like him, but he may be too old for the part when it comes around)

Tom-Hardy-006.jpg

Out of these 5? I would plump for Rupert Friend especially after seeing him in Homeland under different circumstances.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Matthew Goode needing to hit the gym is a non-issue.

He’s already in decent shape and would only need about 4 months to look the part. A few kg’s of extra muscle on his 6’1” frame would make him a shoe-in, from a physical point of view.

And as I’ve said, his performance in ‘Stoker’ showed he’s more than capable of playing edgy characters, with a touch of charisma & style. Now who does that remind us of…?
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 1,661
    Anyone seen this? Former Sony Pictures boss, Amy Pascal, dismissed Henry Cavill as "that lame Superman guy."

Link contains a swear word of a sort!:

http://www.laineygossip.com/Amy-Pascal-calls-Henry-Cavill-That-Lame-Superman-Guy-in-leaked-Sony-email/38304

Assuming this is a genuine quote from a real email... it's interesting. From what I understand she signed off on Craig getting Bond. She and Barbara Broccoli had the final say on his casting. Perhaps she wasn't a fan of Cavill back in 2005? I guess she wouldn't want him to replace Craig. She lost her job after the Sony leaked emails.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Henry Cavill is no Daniel Craig, that's for sure - at least not in the acting department - not by a long shot.

Martin Campbell wanted him. Babs & Pascal wanted Craig.
    WARNING DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON, IT CONTAINS A SPOILER REGARDING A CHARACTER:
    Seeing as it seems Aaron Taylor-Johnson is not going to carry on in the Marvel universe, there's much more of a chance now to be in the running.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Who's the chap that's playing this Ross Poldark on TV at the moment ?
    Not that I'm watching it myself but Mrs Coggins and quite a few of my other lady friends seem to think he'd be in with a shot .
    Aiden Turner previously mentioned he looks like a real front runner. He is in all the Hobbit movies. Had done theatre, ad his big tv role. If he chooses his projects wisely over the next 4 years he could be in with a good shout.
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    Who's the chap that's playing this Ross Poldark on TV at the moment ?
    Not that I'm watching it myself but Mrs Coggins and quite a few of my other lady friends seem to think he'd be in with a shot .

Aiden Turner previously mentioned he looks like a real front runner. He is in all the Hobbit movies. Had done theatre, ad his big tv role. If he chooses his projects wisely over the next 4 years he could be in with a good shout.
    Matthew Goode has a great look for Bond, but he's too old, just like the rest of them.
    When the time comes, go young ie mature 27-31, with proper look, like Goode.
    Actually, hire Martin Campbell to do hiring.
    He was on the right track, with the young Cavill back in 2005.
    timmer wrote: »
    Matthew Goode has a great look for Bond, but he's too old, just like the rest of them.

Yeah but that was before we realised Cavill can't actually act. In Superman he is like the tin man yeah he has the look but he's hollow. The biggest cringe moment I had in cinema ever was at the end of that movie when he gets mad on Zodd.
    timmer wrote: »

Yeah but that was before we realised Cavill can't actually act. In Superman he is like the tin man yeah he has the look but he's hollow. The biggest cringe moment I had in cinema ever was at the end of that movie when he gets mad on Zodd.
    Yes he was rather lame in parts of Man of Steel, but they all play Supes kind of gee shucks
    Same with Routh and Reeves too.
    It's like they can't shake the Kent persona.

But at least Campbell was casting young.

JJ field Born 1978 -American born brought up in London. Someone said Hiddleston I think Field looks like a slightly older Hiddleston. Similar career path to Dan, Theartre, Tv now on to film.

http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/jj-feild/images/36673890/title/jj-feild-photo