Would Bond have survived & thrived into the 21st Century without Brosnan?

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    RC7 wrote: »
    Shoulda, wouda, couda. All I know is that as an 11 year old kid viewing GE, my first cinema Bond, it was and still remains one of my favourite cinema experiences of all time and I wouldn't change it for the world.
    While I was a wee bit older than 11 at the time, I still agree completely.
    :)>-
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2015 Posts: 23,883
    chrisisall wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    Shoulda, wouda, couda. All I know is that as an 11 year old kid viewing GE, my first cinema Bond, it was and still remains one of my favourite cinema experiences of all time and I wouldn't change it for the world.
    While I was a wee bit older than 11 at the time, I still agree completely.
    :)>-

I agree as well. I was 100% stoked when I left the theatre after GE.

It is from the next film onwards that my personal enthusiasm began to wane however, and I think it did for many others too.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited April 2015 Posts: 4,554
    If not Brosnan, then who? Let's go back to the early 90s.

There's no way Daniel Day Lewis would have considered it.
    Mark Rylance? Too committed to the stage.
    Stephen Dillane? Interesting possibility, but he was losing his hair by 95/96.
    Sean Bean? Hmmmm. I wonder if he was bothered playing the villain instead.
    Rufus Sewell? Not seasoned enough back then.
    Ralph Fiennes? See Daniel Day Lewis. But at least a commitment to Bond might have kept him away from The English Patient.
    Hugh Grant? No.
    Rupert Everett? No.
    Kenneth Branagh? Too into his own thing.
    Christian Bale? Was still just a baby, having done Little Women in 94. Had he been a touch older, he'd have been perfect at that time!
    Martin or Gary Kemp? Spandau Ballet to Bond? Say it ain't so. But Martin wouldn't have been too bad.
    Ewan McGregor? Too rough around the edges.
    Christopher Eccleston? Had just starred with McGregor in Shallow Grave. He would have been an interesting choice.
    Nathaniel Parker? I think he would have been perfect for the part, but was there enough name recognition? And was his role in Wide Sargasso Sea a liability?
    Colin Firth? He might have been the best, most viable option. I think I read that he "waited" to be asked and would have done it. But the call never came. So maybe this is my answer.

bondjames wrote: »
    It is from the next film onwards that my personal enthusiasm began to wane however, and I think it did for many others too.
    Oh, I grooved off TND even MORE! '95 & '97 were my two favourite theatrical Bond years!
    bondjames wrote: »
    Oh, I grooved off TND even MORE! '95 & '97 were my two favourite theatrical Bond years!

Don't get me wrong. I did enjoy it, as high octane fun entertainment.

However, I remember leaving the theatre feeling less than enthused and somewhat concerned. It was entertaining beyond words but still very underwhelming in a way, if that's possible.
    I walked out high as a kite. Best theatrical Bond experience ever. \m/
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I walked out high as a kite. Best theatrical Bond experience ever. \m/
    I feel you there!
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Would Bond have survived without Brosnan? Yes. Would it have thrived without him? Well, that's debatable.

GoldenEye is so entertaining that it's hard to believe it couldn't have been successful with any competent actor in the lead role. However, let's not forget that Pierce was the people's choice for Bond at the time (from my personal experience anyway) and his casting helped to restore some faith in the series again after the long hiatus. He truly was the chosen one who was going to be the best thing since Connery. I can remember this excited many people that I knew who didn't like Dalton and/or Moore. Also, GE represented a huge stylistic change for the series and Brosnan's good looks and sense of style seemed to fit perfectly with the direction they were going for.

Say what you will about TND, TWINE and DAD but those films made EON a lot of money. Would the public have kept shelling out money to see films of that quality level with another actor in the role who wasn't the chosen one? Hmm.. Perhaps. Or maybe not. Of course without Brosnan they might have turned out a lot differently. There's no questioning Pierce's popularity though. He certainly did his part to help revive the franchise (financially speaking) and make Bond relevant again.
    edited April 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I agree @pachazo. Brosnan certainly did his bit to keep the franchise commercially viable during the troubled (from EON/MGM's perspective) 90s.

However, I think on a net basis, they made the best financial & critical return on investment with GE.

His 'chosen' status did likely help to allow the movies post-GE to succeed as you suggest. Another actor may not have been able to pull that off.
    Back in the day EVERYONE, not just Pierce was pissed at NBC for keeping him from Bond...
    fdeb9e9341761eb294e5e015d1400b4c.jpg
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    If I lived through that period I'd be pissed off too (until I'd see the legend Dalton's work on TLD), but with hindsight IMO it's for the best Brosnan wasn't Bond until 1995, he looked way too young in 1987.
    Brosnan was definitely not the only one who could have secured a future for the Bond franchise!

Say all you want but my describing word for his performance is "stale" and I'm sure someone else could have done just as well a job at being "stale".

As harsh as that sounds, I don't "hate" Brosnan as Bond, since he did kind of revive him for younger audiences (including myself), but that doesnt automatically mean that his performance was unique....
    An negative actor-specific post... may not be the best way to introduce one's self.... Just sayin'.
    Not "unique"? So what? This is basically an adult comic book series. I don't need unique (or daring or Oscar-winning or multi-layered...) so much as I need "entertaining". Pierce was entertaining to most except those that dislike him for personal or genetic reasons.
    Fiennes is on record saying he wod have been interested in Bond back I the 90s. I have no doubt he'd have been excellent.

GE was a low point in the entire series for me. Appalling movie, dreadful performance from Brosnan. I literally could not believe what I was seeing, I felt it was that poor. Having accepted that Dalton was gone and realising Brosnan was not actually a practical joke, I actually thought TND was a lot better. I prefer the look of he film . Better soundtrack, decentish villain. I thought things were looking up. Then came TWINe and DAD.

Lots if people could have done a much better job. The idea that Brosnan was the only possible choice that made commercial sense is utterly absurd . I don't like Clive Owen , but Jason Isaacs might have been okay .
    edited April 2015 Posts: 17,691
    @Getafix, this is a thread that would probably be better off without you. Nothing personal buddy, it's just you have this SEVERE allergic reaction to the man that warps your view of reality in this one instance. In all other areas you are insightful & thoughtful, and delightfully well written posts ensue. Where Broz is concerned, well, Hell, I can be less compelled to be that negative discussing Hitler... :D
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Agreed. Lazenby is my least favorite Bond actor but I don't go out on an arm and limb to bash him on a daily basis. And for three+ years running, It's become typical and annoying.
    with hindsight IMO it's for the best Brosnan wasn't Bond until 1995, he looked way too young in 1987.
    Even Brosnan acknowledges this. A Bond series without Dalton is unthinkable, but so is one without Brosnan. As Spock would say, the Universe was unfolding as it should...
    Would the series have been as successful with another actor? I dunno, Brosnan was/is very popular (and he deserves to be imo). Would the series have survived? Definetley. I think Bond will be around for as long as cinema is now because he's such an iconic character with such a long, rich history. Even if we get multiple financial and critical flops, the series wouldn't die. Worst case scenario, we'd have to wait a few years and get a reboot.

I think the only chance Bond ever had of dying was when Connery left, but the franchise survived that.
    with hindsight IMO it's for the best Brosnan wasn't Bond until 1995, he looked way too young in 1987.
    Even Brosnan acknowledges this. A Bond series without Dalton is unthinkable, but so is one without Brosnan. As Spock would say, the Universe was unfolding as it should...

I agree with this. I think every Bond was perfect for the time they were cast. I don't think Bond has ever been miscast, they've all done a great job.
    Yeah I agree with a lot of what's been said here. The keyword is "safe". Brosnan was a safe, non-controversial choice for Bond. The films were all "comfort food", semi-recycling old plots and cliches. And realistically, that's how it had to be. The Bond series was at an all time low; after Moonraker, the films had been making less and less money, and following a six year absence, they did a good job in establishing a modern Bond while nodding to the past.

I wonder if, in hindsight, this was all part of Michael/Barbara's long term plan. MGW famously wanted to do a 'younger Bond'/origin story for TLD but Cubby didn't want to rock the boat and said no. But now that MGW was in charge, he could get to do this. BUT first of all they had to re-establish Bond for a new era. So, first they had to make a series of safe, generic, by-the-numbers Bond films which had one foot in the Cubby era to make the series viable again. Then, once Bond was Back, they could do what they really wanted, which was to start over with an early days storyline with a harder edge.
    Interesting theory @dinovelvet, quite possibly this was their evil plan! :))
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    ^ It's wonderful to have hindsight though.
    Well to return to the title of the thread, Bond would certainly have survived without Brosnan. I think, as someone said above, the only truly critical moment was when Connery finally left. Moore showed you could have a new actor, be commercially successful and keep on going. All the actors have played their part in keeping the show on the road , but none of them apart from Connery and perhaps Moore, have been essential to the survival of the series. Others could have done the job as well, if not better at various times.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Well to return to the title of the thread, Bond would certainly have survived without Brosnan. I think, as someone said above, the only truly critical moment was when Connery finally left. Moore showed you could have a new actor, be commercially successful and keep on going. All the actors have played their part in keeping the show on the road , but none of them apart from Connery and perhaps Moore, have been essential to the survival of the series. Others could have done the job as well, if not better at various times.
    Yes quite, to all of that.
    Getafix wrote: »

Well said. People seem to forget that even the lowest grossing Bond film LTK still churned out a big profit for all involved. No Bond film has ever lost money or bombed at the the box office. There have been peaks and valleys but that is so with any film series.
    People seem to forget that even the lowest grossing Bond film LTK still churned out a big profit for all involved. No Bond film has ever lost money or bombed at the the box office. There have been peaks and valleys but that is so with any film series.
    Yep. And Dalton is my favourite Bond, but the timing for it was a bit off for a financial windfall. If they'd cast another relative unknown after he declined a multi-picture deal, they'd have risked further lower-than-desired box office returns. Clive Owen or Jason Isaacs would have worked (and either would have been fine IMO), or even a complete unknown... but Brosnan brought in the public because of Remington Steele. He was the only choice at that time for a big return on investment. Bond would have survived no matter what, but Broz brought in the wads of cash that made Craig's awesome turn possible in a big way.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Bond needed a name back then. I remember 89-95. Bond was pretty much dead. You had the rumors in Premiere magazine or Starlog, but that was it. In short, it sucked
    Bond needed a name back then. I remember 89-95. Bond was pretty much dead. You had the rumors in Premiere magazine or Starlog, but that was it. In short, it sucked
    For you & me both (and a lot of other Bond fans back then). After the distraction of Batman & Star Trek VI & Lethal Weapon 2 & Terminator 2 I was wondering if I'd ever see another Bond movie. True Lies was a small bit of fun, but Arnie was no OO7.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Brosnan was the right man at the right time. Does that make him the best or the worst or something in between? That's depends on individual tastes. For me he's in between but to answer the original question, Bond would have survived, in some form; but Pierce, and Martin Campbell , allowed him to thrive
    @talos7 you summed up in four sentences all that I hoped this thread would make clear to the BHB* here. Thanks.

*Brosnan Hate Brigade
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 11,425
    As someone pointed out at the start, Brosnan might have been relatively well known in the US, but in the UK he was pretty much an unknown quantity. To this day I've never even seen an episode of Remmington Steele. I'm not even sure it was shown on UK terestial TV. I do remember a lot of excitement in the build up to GE (myself included) but not because of Brosnan. I don't think any of my friends had a clue who he was. Everyone was just excited that Bond was back. I think the actor was of almost no import whatsoever. So I actually went into GE with zero preconceptions about what Brosnan would be like.

With regards to Clive Owen, may be he would have stepped up to the mark, but I personally find him very dull. His voice in particular oozes boredom.