Moonraker rerecording by Tadlow. £25,000 needed on Kickstarter

James Fitzpatrick will rerecord Moonraker if £25,000 can be donated via Kickstarter. Money only taken if project happens. Please consider donating if you love this Bond score.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/681802762/moonraker-new-recording?ref=email

Comments

This is excellent. Thanks for sharing, Peter.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I only see cards mentioned. Don't they accept PayPal?
  • Bumping this. Any fans of James Bond film music, please support this cause. Not only would it be fantastic to have Moonraker complete and in incredible sound, but this could open the gates for other Bond scores to be similarly rerecorded (AVTAK, LTK, etc.).
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Oh now this is something I can get behind.
  • £6,101 in 24 hours. Come on guys, we can do this!!
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 6,844
    £11,290 pledged now. 45% of the way there after just 2 days!
  • £11227 with 201 backers. Excellent performance but still a long way to go.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 6,844
    Up to £14,125. More than halfway there.

Sir Roger Moore and David Arnold have both tweeted about it.
    Why does it need to be rerecorded?
    The original audio tapes for the score were lost. The idea is to rerecord the complete Moonraker score and release it as a complete soundtrack. It was done with another Barry score "Save the Titanic."
    I apologise to all, just read the Kickstarter post, I'm fully behind this!
  • Erm, what happens if the target isn't reached? Do you get your money back?

Also, how do we know if the rerecording is gonna be any good, or to our taste? I mean, the Prague Philharmonic has redone some of Barry's Bond stuff, but it just isn't the same, it doesn't have the ka-pow! What are Kickstarter's credentials? I could re-record MR on my wooden recorder if you want...

Surely there aren't too many tracks from MR that are missing, and some of them show up on youtube, either filched from the original soundtrack or from that Prague recording. Main ones are 1) Freefall, 2) Shuttle hijack 3) Drax Estate 4) Gondola chase.
    Erm, what happens if the target isn't reached? Do you get your money back?
    No money is taken until the target is reached, so if the project fails to raise the required amount, you don't lose anything.
    edited January 2015 Posts: 16,330
    While it won't be exactly the same it will be nice for completionists. There are quite a few more tracks missing than those four listed above.

1. Shuttle Hijack.
    2. Freefall.
    3. Drax Estate.
    4. Bond Entering the Centrifuge.
    5. Venini Glass Works.
    6. Gondola Chase.
    7. Rivers and Pyramids.
    8. Drax Shuttle Launch.
    9. NASA Shuttle Launch.
    10. Zero Gravity.
    11. Here's To Us.
    12. Take Me Around the World Again.
  • £17,640
    I've done £20. the Tadlow recordings have been of high quality recently and £20 for a CD with a personal credit and shipped anywhere is a no-brainer for Bond/Barry fans.

Having the CD will be so much better than low quality MP3's from a store. You don't even need expensive equipment to hear the difference when you listen to orchestral music in lossless, the clarity and depth suddenly reappears after all those years of hearing horribly compressed mp3s.

Get on board guys!
    This is great news. I'm glad this project is taking off. I hope it paves the way for more Bond Soundtracks. Octopussy and A View to a kill are in need of a complete score expanding.
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    grunther wrote: »
    I've done £20. the Tadlow recordings have been of high quality recently and £20 for a CD with a personal credit and shipped anywhere is a no-brainer for Bond/Barry fans.....

Do you get a CD then if you donate? I can't see anything saying that?

Yep. I missed it originally as well but its mentioned on the right side of the page:

Pledge £20 or more
    Completed CD of New Recording with your name in list of "thanks you's" in CD booklet
    Estimated delivery: Oct 2015
    Ships anywhere in the world

• I've also pledged GBP 20. As grunther said, a no-brainer for what you will get: a CD (with personal credit!) of the complete original John Barry score - although I seriously doubt they are legally allowed to include the Shirley Bassey recordings of the main title and the end title tracks.

I wonder what Tadlow Music will do about that... We've been promised "between 45 and 50 minutes" of music, and given the fact that John Burlingame asserts Moonraker "contains just under 50 minutes of music, and less than 44 is actually Barry's own" (The Music of James Bond, 139), Tadlow can hardly leave these cues out of the rerecording - there's simply not enough missing Barry score to make up for them. And anyway, a rerecording without the main title and end title tracks would be a missed opportunity.

Best thing would of course be to include Dame Shirley in the project and have her rerecord both tracks, but I doubt that is in the stars. I'll settle for instrumental versions.
  • grunther wrote: »
    I've done £20. the Tadlow recordings have been of high quality recently and £20 for a CD with a personal credit and shipped anywhere is a no-brainer for Bond/Barry fans.....

Do you get a CD then if you donate? I can't see anything saying that?

You'll get a copy if you donate GBP 20 or more. See under 'Rewards' in the right-hand column. For a mere GBP 2000 you can be an Executive Producer of the rerecording, DrShatterhand! What are you waiting for?! :)

• DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    edited January 2015 Posts: 805
    grunther wrote: »
    Yep. I missed it originally as well but its mentioned on the right side of the page:

Pledge £20 or more
    Completed CD of New Recording with your name in list of "thanks you's" in CD booklet
    Estimated delivery: Oct 2015
    Ships anywhere in the world

I was viewing the page on my phone don't think this shows up. Thanks for clarifying that for me. In that case, yes @LeonUtrecht, what am I waiting for? Well, pay day really, so my 20 quid will be winging it's way there next week :)
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    edited January 2015 Posts: 7,570
    My pledge has been made. Keep this going.

And by the way, I blame Roger Moore for all of it.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited January 2015 Posts: 1,727
    Great stuff.
    Such an underrated part of Barry's oevre, his first real symphonic Bond score.
    Currently £25,220 :D
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Well, it's through (as if there was any doubt) :D
    I'm very happy about this. :)
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Can't wait:)
    Pledged.
    A little late, but what the heck.
    I wonder if they´ll do anything about that outer-space-like feeling Barry injected into the whole score, but even without, if they give it the right punch and don´t mess with the arrangements, as Nic Raine is prone to, it´ll be a gem in my CD shelf :-).

It would be marvellous if OP, AVTAK, and TMWTGG could get the treatment too!
    What happened?!? I just got a mail from Kickstarter and one from James Fitzpatrick the project is cancelled, due to legal issues?!?

From Kickstarter:
    Hi there,

We're writing to let you know that MOONRAKER NEW RECORDING (Canceled) has been canceled by the project creator. As a result, your £20.00 pledge has been automatically canceled and your card will not be charged.

If you'd like to follow along with the creator's next steps, stay tuned to their updates. You can even drop them an encouraging message or comment on their project page.

Thanks for supporting this project.

Best
    Kickstarter

From James Fitzpatrick:
    James Fitzpatrick says:

Dear Everyone
    It is with great regret that I have to cancel this Kickstarter project before any funds are taken. Certain rights issues have been raised which might mean protracted negotiations with the companies involved which may well go beyond the end of the project. I would sincerely like to thank everyone for their involvement in the project and if negotiations are successful then I have the knowledge that there is a great demand for this title. Thank you for all your hard word. Jame

:(( :(( :(( :((