Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Robocop Bought the directors cut on Bluray today, this is truly a great film.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Deep Red (1975)

Deep-Red-6.jpg

Dario Argento's 1975 Giallo is a fairly decent suspense film with great effects by Carlo Rambaldi and a credible protagonist in the shape of David Hemmings. Though the story and the ultimate reveal may not shock you, if you're a fan of 70s Italian gore thrillers, you might just enjoy Deep Red.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Watched Gone Girl yesterday. Very very good. Maybe some slight plot holes if you really think abojt it, but overall tightly plotted, well acted and very believable.
    Holes - a very impressive family movie
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Holes - a very impressive family movie

Ah I miss that movie. I remember reading the book in 5th grade.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    PIRATES!-BAND OF MISFITS
    This Aardman production is a masterpiece and one big laugh, really hoping for a sequel.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    A Million Ways To Die In The West
    Pretty funny flick but it wasn't as funny as the movie Ted (same creators). It's not one that I would own but I may watch it again if it happens to be on TV or something.

As Above So Below
    Another found footage film but better than recent ones that I've seen. If you're in the mood for a decent storyline and some scares this would be a good one to watch. It also had a different ending then most, if not all, found footage movies have.

The Maze Runner
    I tried reading the book but couldn't do it, just wasn't for me. So I was pretty hesitant to watch the film but I'm glad I finally got around to doing it, it was pretty good. The acting was better than expected and the action was great, the CGI could've been better though.

Sin City: A Dame To Kill For
    I love the first film and I really wanted to love this one but it was rather disappointing. Marv's opening at the beginning seemed pointless and Nancy's story was pretty bland. Marv also seems to show up in everyone's at some point, putting him in the film too much and making him almost seem like the star of the whole thing. While the violence is there, it seemed to be lacking something that the action and violence the first film had.
    I will say, however, that I did like Dwight's and Johnny's stories but I was still disappointed by Dwight's. I remember reading something around the time of it's release that Clive Owen would show up after Dwight had his surgery and it never happened. Brolin just wears makeup that makes him look similar to Owen.
    I hope someday that a version will be released of both films combined. I would like to see it in timeline order, scene for scene. The film would be about four hours long but I would still watch it, maybe just not in one sitting.
    edited January 2015 Posts: 23,626
    The Dark Knight Returns

the-dark-knight-returns-part-2-3.jpg

Who could ever have imagined that Frank Miller's seminal and extravagant comic series from the mid 80s could be successfully adapted into a film? Well, the result is breathtakingly awesome! The story is left intact, the characters are brilliantly animated, the fights tremendously spectacular and Christopher Drake's score immensely powerful - it's the best Hans Zimmer score Hans Zimmer never wrote.

This film is not for kids. It touches delicate themes, introduces a lot of political and social debate, turns really violent at times and, well, may overall be considered inappropriate for younger viewers. A big topless lady with a swastika covering her nipple? Yep, it's here.

It's been ten years since the Batman was last seen. Bruce Wayne has moved on without moving on; he just can't let go. And when the dangerous gang of "mutants" turns Gotham into a war zone, Batman must return. Aided by a girl Robin, arguably the best Robin he'll ever have, and his infinite stamina, Batman goes against the mutants and their fearsome leader. BUT, lurking in the shadows of an insane asylum is... the Joker. Meanwhile, the USA is at war and the president doesn't know if he should have Superman stop a nuclear war or head to Gotham to once and for all stop the unstoppable vigilante.

This is Batman at his best. For years I've been saying that Mask Of The Phantasm is the best animated feature in the Batman franchise. Then came Gotham Knight. Then Year One. And now TDKReturns, the one that IMO tops them all. Featuring the voices of Peter - Robocop - Weller, Michael Emerson, David Selby and many more, The Dark Knight Returns comes second perhaps only to Nolan's trilogy. The level of quality featured in this animated film makes a fanboy like myself blush. I love every second of it!
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    The Dark Knight Returns

the-dark-knight-returns-part-2-3.jpg

Who could ever have imagined that Frank Miller's seminal and extravagant comic series from the mid 80s could be successfully adapted into a film? Well, the result is breathtakingly awesome! The story is left intact, the characters are brilliantly animated, the fights tremendously spectacular and Christopher Drake's score immensely powerful - it's the best Hans Zimmer score Hans Zimmer never wrote.

This film is not for kids. It touches delicate themes, introduces a lot of political and social debate, turns really violent at times and, well, may overall be considered inappropriate for younger viewers. A big topless lady with a swastika covering her nipple? Yep, it's here.

It's been ten years since the Batman was last seen. Bruce Wayne has moved on without moving on; he just can't let go. And when the dangerous gang of "mutants" turns Gotham into a war zone, Batman must return. Aided by a girl Robin, arguably the best Robin he'll ever have, and his infinite stamina, Batman goes against the mutants and their fearsome leader. BUT, lurking in the shadows of an insane asylum is... the Joker. Meanwhile, the USA is at war and the president doesn't know if he should have Superman stop a nuclear war or head to Gotham to once and for all stop the unstoppable vigilante.

This is Batman at his best. For years I've been saying that Mask Of The Phantasm is the best animated feature in the Batman franchise. Then came Gotham Knight. Then Year One. And now TDKReturns, the one that IMO tops them all. Featuring the voices of Peter - Robocop - Weller, Michael Emerson, David Selby and many more, The Dark Knight Returns comes second perhaps only to Nolan's trilogy. The level of quality featured in this animated film makes a fanboy like myself blush. I love every second of it!

I know a lot of people loved this feature, but I was never a fan myself from what I've seen (which is maybe about half of it or so). I didn't like Michael Emerson's Joker at all, or Peter Weller's Batman either. Of course, I didn't read the comic either, so I'm probably just not a fan of the main story either. I'm not a little kid, but I still don't like my Batman with loads of blood and other "questionable" content.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 4,813
    I still say not getting Michael Keaton back is the biggest missed opportunity EVER.
    He was even in the RoboCop remake ironically enough-- Keaton & Weller literally could have just switched spots!
    I still say not getting Michael Keaton back is the biggest missed opportunity EVER.
    He was even in the RoboCop remake ironically enough

I agree how sad that we never going to see another batman with Keaton :(
    The Hobbit, Battle of the five armies!

Not going to blabber on, all i am going to say is that i really enjoyed it! Although i wished Smaug has abit more screen time.
    Keaton was a tremendous Batman AND Bruce Wayne, which is rare. I have nothing bad to say about Bale, really, but Keaton was my Batman in my early teens. Perhaps it's a good thing he wasn't disgraced by the Schumacher films.

Suppose they do a "Dark Knight Returns" kind of thing, I'd definitely want Keaton back! I have always liked him as an actor in general. I thought he was fine in Robocop and he worked well in other things I have seen him in. He's 63 now and so is my dad. Seeing how much energy, spunk and muscle my dad still has - more than I in any case - he could gracefully don the suit and be a Batman stepping out of retirement. I'm sure Keaton can too.

No matter what the future shall bring, and no matter how successful the Nolans have turned out, when someone says Batman, this is where my mind goes:

Batman-michael-keaton.jpg

A great Batman and a great Bruce Wayne. I'm a Keaton fan.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I loved Keaton as Batman, but personally I also really liked Val Kilmer as Batman. Yeah, I did. So shoot me.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    when someone says Batman, this is where my mind goes:

Batman-michael-keaton.jpg

A great Batman and a great Bruce Wayne. I'm a Keaton fan.
    I am SO right there ya DD!!!!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Great choice @DarthDimi. TDKR is my favorite Batman film. It also holds a special place in my heart for being the last film I got to watch with my dad before his unfortunate passing. I recall he enjoyed it as well. Loving how sinister and brutal the Joker was.
    :-bd
    I loved Keaton as Batman, but personally I also really liked Val Kilmer as Batman. Yeah, I did. So shoot me.

Val Kilmer was great he is my second favorite Batman after Keaton.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 372
    Librarian wrote: »
    This week I watched two Hitchcock movies: Vertigo (not so great in my opinion) and Psycho (fantastic piece of cinema).

What a coincidence, I did a little Hitchcock marthon myself. :D What was it you didn't like about Vertigo?

Personally I don't find it Hitchcock's greatest like most people do, but there is some excellent character complexity. To me what makes Psycho great, apart from the directing, is Anthony Perkins's performance. Best movie psychopath I've ever seen. Apart from that I saw North by Northwest, which is great fun, and The man who knew to much, which I didn't like...

I also watched Cul-de-sac (1966) by Roman Polanski. Didn't expect anything from this but I was very pleasantly surprised. It's incredibly atmospheric, very tense and there's some wonderful acting by Lionel Stander.

Then I saw this little movie called Dementia 13 (1963) by Francis Ford Coppola. I started watching without knowing it was the directorial debut of FFC, until I saw his name on the opening credits. I picked it because I have a love for 60s low-budget horror but apparently this is quite a notorious film for the reason stated above. There's one terrifying scene in the movie, when the presumed protagonist is killed (quite like Psycho actually). Didn't expect this level of gore. Some great shots an camera angles in this. It's interesting because when you watch the extras from Dracula, I think he initially planned to re-use a lot of the same elements from Dementia 13 (highly imaginitive sets and things like that).

The Descendants was on the tv last night. Both laughed and cried. George Clooney is one of the last actors with real screen presence.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Same here. Keaton is my favourite, but I like Kilmer too.
    I think Kilmer was a good Batman but not such a fine Bruce Wayne. IMO there's a difference between those.
  • Remember when Kilmer was first cast, did the world go into an uproar because he was blonde? Like when Craig was first announced as Bond?
    I also liked Kilmer (just not as much as Keaton or Bale) and in a better movie he could have been great.
    But hell, the same could be said for Clooney
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Keaton was hands down the best Batman and Wayne IMO. He was emotionally damaged goods. Tightly wound. Could snap at any point. Reminds me a little of Tim Dalton as Bond (also wound tight). Both only did two sadly.

Bale was 2nd best. The man should also have been Bond IMO.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 4,813
    I feel as though Bale had the potential to be even better as Bond than Batman. He was great as Batman, but you either love or hate the voice-- that's really the only negative.

Something I noticed in a recent viewing of Batman Begins: his 'batvoice' actually progresses from subtle to full on crazy Baleman by the end.

batman-stapler.png

When he's wearing the ski mask and threatens Gordon with the stapler ( lol ), his voice is quiet and mysterious, not that different from Keaton's bat voice. It was great.

batman-begins22-478x288.jpg
    A little bit later, the first night he's in full costume, he has a conversation with Rachel Dawes ('Falcone sent these men to kill you.... You rattled his cage.') and his voice is a happy medium between the previous scene with Gordon and the 'Baleman' from TDK & TDKR. If only he kept his voice like that throughout the whole trilogy, I don't think anyone would have anything bad to say about him in the role.

maxresdefault.jpg

Unfortunately, starting with the scene where Batman threatens Flass, his voice takes a turn for the worse and never really recovers. I remember seeing the movie opening night in a packed theater, and feeling uncomfortable an a little embarrassed for Bale.

Bale's Batvoice has been a topic of debate ever since the first movie came out. On the one hand you think, 'he has to change his voice a lot because Bruce Wayne is such a high profile celebrity'. But on the other hand, can you really picture Batman needing throat lozenges after each night out? I'm not saying he should have copied Kevin Conroy, but you shouldn't bust a gut just saying your lines either, lol
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2015 Posts: 13,904
    The Prince (2014)

I have defended a few of Cusack's recent films, becuase I have liked them, this wasn't one of them. I would like to congratulate his character, for a disappearing act that would make Lord Lucan envious. Missable, unless you're a fan of anyone involved, and even then, you'd have seen better.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    bondjames wrote: »
    Keaton was hands down the best Batman and Wayne IMO. He was emotionally damaged goods. Tightly wound. Could snap at any point. Reminds me a little of Tim Dalton as Bond (also wound tight). Both only did two sadly.
    You're only allowed two in a row these days.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I feel as though Bale had the potential to be even better as Bond than Batman. He was great as Batman, but you either love or hate the voice-- that's really the only negative.

Something I noticed in a recent viewing of Batman Begins: his 'batvoice' actually progresses from subtle to full on crazy Baleman by the end.

batman-stapler.png

When he's wearing the ski mask and threatens Gordon with the stapler ( lol ), his voice is quiet and mysterious, not that different from Keaton's bat voice. It was great.

batman-begins22-478x288.jpg
    A little bit later, the first night he's in full costume, he has a conversation with Rachel Dawes ('Falcone sent these men to kill you.... You rattled his cage.') and his voice is a happy medium between the previous scene with Gordon and the 'Baleman' from TDK & TDKR. If only he kept his voice like that throughout the whole trilogy, I don't think anyone would have anything bad to say about him in the role.

maxresdefault.jpg

Unfortunately, starting with the scene where Batman threatens Flass, his voice takes a turn for the worse and never really recovers. I remember seeing the movie opening night in a packed theater, and feeling uncomfortable an a little embarrassed for Bale.

Bale's Batvoice has been a topic of debate ever since the first movie came out. On the one hand you think, 'he has to change his voice a lot because Bruce Wayne is such a high profile celebrity'. But on the other hand, can you really picture Batman needing throat lozenges after each night out? I'm not saying he should have copied Kevin Conroy, but you shouldn't bust a gut just saying your lines either, lol

I like Keaton's Batman, I grew up with those and the 90's cartoon, but Bale is currently the face of Batman to me, I hope Affleck is good enough to change that.
    The scene where Batman has Flass upside down in the rain (the one that you felt embarrassed for Bale) is the one that really showed me that he IS Batman. I remember almost jumping out of my seat with excitement when Flass said, "I swear to God" and Bale screams "SWEAR TO ME". That's probably my favorite scene out of The Dark Knight Trilogy.
    The only time that I really didn't like the deep voice was at the end of The Dark Knight when he's talking to the Joker. He almost does it a little too much for comfort but other than that I like the voice. It makes him seem like an entirely different person from Bruce Wayne, almost crazy like.
    My cousin and I actually do the voice for fun every once in awhile for mundane things. Our throats never hurt from doing it, granted we don't do it for hours on end but still. So I find the voice believable. Like you said, you either love the voice or you hate it.

Carrying on with Christian Bale I just finished American Hustle.

Overall I enjoyed it but,as others have said, it did feel rather Scorsese-lite in it's presentation, use of voice-over, New York/Jersey accents etc.

Bradley Cooper and Amy Adams in particular were excellent and Bale did his usual intense performance. It seemed to me he was sort of imitating Robert DeNiro at times but blimey he does he feel intimidating when something winds him up.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I loved American Hustle. Everyone was awesome in it, but I especially loved Jennifer Lawrence.
    Yes she was very good too.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Cpt America: The winter soldier.
    Great super hero movie, with a steller cast, the story is very contemporary, in
    That can we trust all those organisations, who are watching our every move.
    It has a couple of really well done chases / action sequences.