On Her Majesty's Secret Service- Very overrated?

Comments

• edited December 2014 Posts: 1,146
    And I'll happily steer the thread back on course and tell you that OHMSS is one of my favorite Bond films!

As for the other stuff, I'm debating politely, if you can't do that, just ignore my posts :)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited December 2014 Posts: 12,459
    You are "debating politely" ??? ! Hahahahah! That is amusing at least.

And, @Murdock, you are correct to point that out.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    I've got ohmss on blu ray. It's pretty good
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I bet it looks fantastic. The cinematography is a highlight of that film. :)
    Yeah, I got it individually from target, I think it was, a few years ago. Yet another upgrade ;)
  • I wish Lazenby and Savalas had both returned for Diamonds. It would have been good.
    At least Lazenby realises he messed up!
    How the hell do you go from Telly Savalas to Charles grey?? That's just the tip of the peak from which we fall after this movie
    No kidding. And the guy who was playing Willard White, good grief.
    Going from Peter hunt to guy Hamilton was like going from Tim burton to Joel Schumacher a few decades later.
    Going from Peter hunt to guy Hamilton was like going from Tim burton to Joel Schumacher a few decades later.

No kidding.
    AND I'd rank Terence Young over Hamilton any day of the week. Guy directed more bad Bond films than good ones.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    @doubleohdad your continuous Moore and Brosnan bashing is tiresome. Give it a rest.
    Especially in a thread concerning OHMSS. Neither Moore or Brosnan feature in this movie.
    Enough is enough.
    I'd already turned my thoughts to OHMSS. I'm simply giving my opinions in a polite, respecful manner. If you disagree we can debate it.

OHMSS is simply a fantastic picture and better than any of the Bond films of the 1970's.
    It was unfortunately the last true to Fleming movie we got for over a decade. The producers overreacted to the drop off in box office and decided to go down a different road.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 11,189
    *wrong thread. Mods delete.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Amazing that @doubleohdad is so obsessed with Moore that when he attempts to post on topic it ends uo being about Moore.

Im due for a rewatch of OHMSS, but on my last viewing I agreed with the premise of this thread. The whole Hillary Bray act really brings the film down. When Bond starts trying to bore the girls he ends up boring me as well.
    Not wild about the dubbing. Doesn't do lazenby any favors
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    What was dubbed? His Bray voice?
    Yeah, George baker did his voice during that time. Hunt had a lot of peoples voices dubbed back then. Surprised when I found out how many
    Dubbing was all the rage back then.

Great movie though.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 11,189
    The dubbing is an issue for me.

Particularly as it was Lazenby's ONLY film and he's dubbed by a completely different sounding voice for what is probably the most dialogue-driven part.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    The dubbing is an issue for me.

Particularly as it was Lazenby's ONLY film and he's dubbed by a completely different sounding voice for what is probably the most dialogue-driven part.

It's not an issue for me because it makes sense as part of the story. What makes NO sense to me, even to this day, is how Blofeld does not recognize Bond instantly.

Still, really like this picture.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 11,425
    There was only ever tenuous continuity in the series. One of the reasons the 'reboot' never bothered me.
    It's a helluva thing going from Donnie to Telly to chuckie ;)
    I don't think anyone is claiming that OHMSS is perfect. The dubbing as just silly, just silly. But it's a tribute to the movie's strengths that it is so highly regarded despite its weaknesses.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 11,425
    I've always seen most of the Bond movies as pretty much stand alone. Looking for too much continuity and consistency is pointless. Characters like Felix are constantly recast. Actors reappear playing different roles. Key events don't seem to figure in the next movie (Tracy's death) etc.

The Bond movies are not there to satisfy those who are pedantic about continuity. They should each be taken on their own merits. And OHMSS is one of the best. Like LTK and I think QoS, it was give a lukewarm reception when it came out but appreciation has grown over the years.
    I like it. Could it be better? Absolutely. But I've bought so many incarnations of it over the years, I believe one could infer an affection I have for it;)
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Getafix wrote: »
    There was only ever tenuous continuity in the series. One of the reasons the 'reboot' never bothered me.

The lack of continuity is the weak link in the '60s Bonds: different Blofelds, different Leiters...it just made no sense. The '70s/'80s at least had Gogol and the Ministry of Defence.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I just saw OHMSS again today, for the first time in a few years. I've reviewed it on the Last Bond movie watched thread so I'll just give a few comments here.

I enjoyed it very much but it's fallen a little in my estimation, not because of Lazenby (I thought he was superb) or Rigg (she was excellent) but rather because of the pacing, which is a bit slow in the Piz Gloria middle or so. The movie does drag a little in these parts and the finale atop Piz Gloria was quite 'by the numbers' and a little dull. The ski sequences were fantastic however, especially for their time. I was not a fan of Savalas either, although I know many like him as Blofeld. I'm still waiting for the definitive Blofeld portrayal, and I hope to see it possibly in SP.

So I wouldn't say it's overrated because it's a very good standalone movie unlike any other Bond film before or since. A unique entity onto itself. However, I found myself just not enjoying it as much as I did in the past, due to the above points.
    Steven soderbergh did a review of this recently and said he could cur quite a bit from the piz Gloria scenes and the movie would be better for it
    http://extension765.com/sdr/2-most-irrelevant-no-1
    sorry if this link is a repeat, he is a top director (any arguments with that statement?) so I think it's worth reading and adds some weight to the respect and affection that many fans have for this movie