SPECTRE: So who's going to play Ernst?

Comments

• 0101000101010001 Classified
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I'm sorry but most of this Blofeld speculation is completely and utterly ridiculous.

Yeah, people found it ridiculous when I created the topic back in November 2011. I was laughed at when I actually mentioned the name "Blofeld" for the first time. And look where we are now. S.P.E.C.T.R.E and it's No# 1 operative are alive and kicking.......in Ian Fleming's James Bond 007, "SPECTRE".

Not about Blofeld himself, but about thinking every actor in this film could be Blofeld.

There has been ridiculous speculation and suggestions here for sure. Mallory as Blofeld?

I actually think Mallory as Blofeld is not as ridiculous, when I think about it.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    By simple deductive reasoning, we have 3 options:

1. it's Waltz - which is not likely IMO
    2. it's someone else already cast in SPECTRE. That someone has to have gravitas. (therefore it's not Scott - he is better suited to M given his acting gravitas at present - which could change with more fame).
    3. it's someone not on the current cast list.

From there the speculation can begin.

Fiennes was supposted to have a 'darkly complex' role which is why he was cast to begin with (see beginning of this thread dating to 2011). There was nothing darkly complex about his role in SF. That means that 'darkly complex' is yet to come for him.....whatever that means and wherever they want to go with it.
    01010001 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but most of this Blofeld speculation is completely and utterly ridiculous.

Yeah, people found it ridiculous when I created the topic back in November 2011. I was laughed at when I actually mentioned the name "Blofeld" for the first time. And look where we are now. S.P.E.C.T.R.E and it's No# 1 operative are alive and kicking.......in Ian Fleming's James Bond 007, "SPECTRE".

Not about Blofeld himself, but about thinking every actor in this film could be Blofeld.

There has been ridiculous speculation and suggestions here for sure. Mallory as Blofeld?

I actually think Mallory as Blofeld is not as ridiculous, when I think about it.

It is actually utterly ridiculous, if one pays attention to his character in SF.

Leaving aside personal thoughts on the matter, I will state it is possible. Multiple characters in Skyfall gave me the idea not to be 'finished' yet, and I agree with bondjames on that the dark and complex was kind of absent in SF. Just my opinion of course.

I do not think it will be Waltz, but I also highly contemplate, IF 24 and 25 are linked, we will only get a peek of Blofeld in 24.
    Mallory has been established as M's successor. There's no reason why one could even suspect he's secretly a Polish spy. He has his own character arch in SF. Making him Blofeld would be ridiculous in soap operatic proportions.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited December 2014 Posts: 2,138

Yeah I don't think Blofeld fought for the British Army in Northern Ireland. It was a rediculous suggestion, most appear to agree.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Regardless, they will need to have something meaty for Fiennes to do in the next movie, and in B25. It would be just as ridiculous for him to have taken this role otherwise. He is not, by any means, in the twilight of his career.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Regardless, they will need to have something meaty for Fiennes to do in the next movie, and in B25. It would be just as ridiculous for him to have taken this role otherwise. He is not, by any means, in the twilight of his career.

Agreed, but I did hear the writers mention having more story for recurring cast in general, both Q and Moneypenny.

For the time being, I will settle for someone not on the cast list yet.

Official Synopsis "A cryptic message from Bond’s past sends him on a trail to uncover a sinister organisation. While M battles political forces to keep the secret service alive, Bond peels back the layers of deceit to reveal the terrible truth behind SPECTRE. I think it be fair to say we will see some great scenes between Denbigh (Scott) and M. I think Denbigh will be M's enemy more than Bonds.

I agree with you about Denbigh. He's going to be a nasty, petty bureaucrat. And Mallory has been depicted as someone who does not go by the book if needs be. Something.his men must appreciate, but not his superiors.
    Official Synopsis "A cryptic message from Bond’s past sends him on a trail to uncover a sinister organisation. While M battles political forces to keep the secret service alive, Bond peels back the layers of deceit to reveal the terrible truth behind SPECTRE. I think it be fair to say we will see some great scenes between Denbigh (Scott) and M. I think Denbigh will be M's enemy more than Bonds.

IF Denbigh is a political character. I am not sure about this, but I thought it was stated he was an MI6 agent, rather than an outside force? I see him in confrontation with Q rather than M, since he may be a handler (I find him handler material, anyway).

BBC stated Denbigh was MI5, so MI6's competitor. Both services don't like each other.
    BBC stated Denbigh was MI5, so MI6's competitor. Both services don't like each other.

True! Sorry, I noted that incorrectly. In that case I agree with the former person I quoted.

01010001 wrote: »

IF Denbigh is a political character. I am not sure about this, but I thought it was stated he was an MI6 agent, rather than an outside force? I see him in confrontation with Q rather than M, since he may be a handler (I find him handler material, anyway).

Never been stated he is an MI6 agent only that he is situated at Whitehall where all goverment departments are headed. Best guess he wants MI6 shut down for his true employers agenda. Denbigh will most likely be a political character.

MI5 and MI6 are not competitors. MI5 is the equivelant to the USA's Department of Homeland Security. MI6 is counter intelligence the equiv to the CIA.

MI5 and MI6 are not competitors. MI5 is the equivelant to the USA's Department of Homeland Security. MI6 is counter intelligence the equiv to the CIA.

One does not rule out the other. CIA and FBI always fight as well. There's some unexplained competition under it.

I know, they are still rivals. Tensions between 5 and 6 have been explored in The Sandbaggers and Queen&Country.

I know, they are still rivals. Tensions between 5 and 6 have been explored in The Sandbaggers and Queen&Country.

The official line is Denbigh is in Whitehall its was a conclusion jumped to by the media he would be MI5 or MI6 he may even be Mallorys replacement at the intelligence comittee chairman.

The official line is Denbigh is in Whitehall its was a conclusion jumped to by the media he would be MI5 or MI6 he may even be Mallorys replacement at the intelligence comittee chairman.

Oh I am not saying the BBC was right. In any case, my bet is that Denbigh will be a petty bureaucrat.
  • Ludovico wrote: »

Oh I am not saying the BBC was right. In any case, my bet is that Denbigh will be a petty bureaucrat.

I am looking a bit to the plot from FRWL. Wasn't Rosa Klebb working for SMERSH, and that most members of the Soviet Presidium still thought Klebb was a SMERSH-agent during her work for SPECTRE? It basically made her a double agent.

I'm guessing that's what Denbigh could be: a double agent. Working for MI6, creating a new secret service department, from which a revived SPECTRE gets all his information. Including all work done by agent 007. So I have a feeling that only very late in the story 007 finds out that the work he's doing for MI6 is in fact the work he's doing for SPECTRE.

Very much like the plot from FRWL.

And then Blofeld? It'll be Christoph Waltz or an unknown actor. But I dodn't think Andrew Scott will be Blofeld. I think he's more the Largo-esque villain.
    When you have Waltz in your cast, it is very unlikely that you will cast Andrew Scott as the villain. I reread bits of OHMSS this Christmas (it is one of my Christmas reads) and Waltz shares a lot with this specific incarnation of Blofeld. He is much shorter, but otherwise he is very much like the amiable devil depicted in the book.
  • Ludovico wrote: »
    When you have Waltz in your cast, it is very unlikely that you will cast Andrew Scott as the villain. I reread bits of OHMSS this Christmas (it is one of my Christmas reads) and Waltz shares a lot with this specific incarnation of Blofeld. He is much shorter, but otherwise he is very much like the amiable devil depicted in the book.

Well, as I said, I think both Andrew Scott and Christoph Waltz will be villains. Denbigh could be the Largo-esque guy, a double-man between SPECTRE and a nation, like Rosa Klebb.

Waltz, could be Blofeld yes.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    I would love to see Mark Strong as Blofeld.

Well, as I said, I think both Andrew Scott and Christoph Waltz will be villains. Denbigh could be the Largo-esque guy, a double-man between SPECTRE and a nation, like Rosa Klebb.

Waltz, could be Blofeld yes.

Scott could play a Largo or Klebb type of villain, sure. But for many reasons, I think it is less likely than the role of a pain in the neck. One of them is his name: Denbigh is not exactly menacing.

Too bald.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Ahhh, the importance of being Ernest;)
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 317

I can too, not a bad choice. He's done good voice work in Rome total war as well.

• edited January 2015 Posts: 11,119
    I want to say something. And I'm gonna ask all those SonyLeaks-addicts in here to shut up or to withhold comments like "You're wrong!".

Because I have a feeling Christoph Waltz is not going to play Blofeld. It's too damn obvious for me. The introduction of Blofeld, and I've said it on numerous occasions in this topic, deserves a more slower, nuanced introduction.

Yes, we can talk about the example of character "Eve" in SF and that she eventually would become Moneypenny. But that's quite easy. They attached "Moneypenny" behind "Eve", being her surname. But I just don't see how you mix up "Ernst Stavro Blofeld" with "Franz Oberhauser". Will they really not do any justice to the original Fleming character Oberhauser and make it a fake name? Or has Waltz's character stolen the identity of Bond's already dead....ehmm......childhood friend?

Maybe the latter could be true. But then I think Waltz is still going to play the leading Bond villain. A Largo-Kronsteen concoction, the man in charge of the villainous scheme.....just not Blofeld!

Also think about it. If you have to cast a recurring character, then why not make him younger and smarter than Bond? Simply for practical, contractual reasons it is easier to cast a younger actor.

That's why I think actor Andrew Scott is the man who's playing Blofeld. His name in the film "Denbigh" is too wishy-washy for me. It's an old Welsh name which original meaning is "small fortress", or "little fortress". Andrew Scott is not a tall actor, but the name "Blofeld" certainly" implies something big....a not so tameable fortress perhaps. And as he is most obviously starting within MI6 he could later use that experience for the "C" in SPECTRE: counter Intelligence. As a means of revenge, when he disappears in a Mr White-esque fashion at the end of SP or at the start of Bond 25.

Make no mistake. I really think Waltz is going to play a formidable leading Bond villain, named Franz Oberhauser. He will get raving reviews for his portrayal of Oberhauser -a Largo-Kronsteen esque psychotic with a history that relates to Bond's childhood-. He just won't be playing Blofeld. Andrew Scott will be Blofeld.

My guess :-).
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Scott isn't anything like Fleming's Blofeld.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 11,119
    Murdock wrote: »
    Scott isn't anything like Fleming's Blofeld.

Le Chiffre from the film wasn't like Le Chiffre from the novel. The cinematic Le Chiffre was slim, fit, had high cheekbones, a bleeding eye and a Hitler-esque haircut. Completely different from the almost farmboyish, unnuanced fat appearance from the novel.

Re-interpreting character's from the Fleming universe is an art that Barbara Broccoli and Michael Wilson master perfectly nowadays.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Weren't you the one wanting Blofeld closer to his literary roots? :-?