SPECTRE Leaks Discussion (allowed on ONLY this thread) MAJOR PLOTLINE SPOILERS!

Comments

• They should have postponed the movie to 2016, and should have started writing the script from scratch, instead of building on Logan's seemingly abysmal draft. It is completely unacceptable that the screenplay was still in complete disarray during the summer of 2014, about 20 months after the release of Skyfall!

The producers need to understand that the screenplay is the single most important aspect of just about every mainstream movie. They can have a great director and an amazing cast and crew on board, if the script sucks, then the whole movie will fail. I'm pretty sure Sam Mendes regrets signing up for a second Bond film, but I can not really feel sorry for him. He is a huge part of the reason 3 writers still had to be working on the script just weeks before the start of filming.

I don't expect greatness from Spectre and I'm hoping they will hire Chris Nolan to direct AND write the next one. He would show them how to deliver a great script on time.
    Apparently the original screenplay was pretty good, sans the third act. That's hardly "complete disarray."

• ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    It's been overblown by people trying to make a story about bond.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 187
    They should have postponed the movie to 2016, and should have started writing the script from scratch, instead of building on Logan's seemingly abysmal draft. It is completely unacceptable that the screenplay was still in complete disarray during the summer of 2014, about 20 months after the release of Skyfall!

The producers need to understand that the screenplay is the single most important aspect of just about every mainstream movie. They can have a great director and an amazing cast and crew on board, if the script sucks, then the whole movie will fail. I'm pretty sure Sam Mendes regrets signing up for a second Bond film, but I can not really feel sorry for him. He is a huge part of the reason 3 writers still had to be working on the script just weeks before the start of filming.

I don't expect greatness from Spectre and I'm hoping they will hire Chris Nolan to direct AND write the next one. He would show them how to deliver a great script on time.

The draft has been considerably changed. I went into reading it expecting a complete disaster and came out a firm believer and a fan of this script. It does a lot of things right and leads into a lot of interesting directions.

Have some faith.

Edit: Please God no to Chris Nolan, he ruined the character of Batman with his trilogy. I can only imagine what he'd do to 007. He'd probably install that long standing fan theory of anyone can be 007 just like anyone can be Batman. He can stay far, far away.
  • Tilda Swinton as Irma Bunt in Bond 25. Continuing Spectre in ESB's Absence.
    A Female as a lead Villain would be good to see. Bunt is the brains and HINX could be back doing her dirty work.
    I'm pretty sure Sam Mendes regrets signing up for a second Bond film,

LOL
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 48
    This is just my perspective, but my impression of Mr. Hinx is that he's a modern day Oddjob/Grant/Gobinda type. And since we'll already possibly have the main villain back at some point I'd rather they leave the train sequence as it is in the script, and the impression I get is that Hinx is not supposed to come back, the reading I got was that he meets a very nasty end. I like how it's a possible nod to the Indiana Jones Pat Roach fights, and there's also another one in the PTS that I hope they leave in also. I personally don't want to see them pull a Jaws with the Hinx character. I'd rather Bond 25 have it's own set of sub villains/henchmen i.e Tilda Swinton as Bunt sounds good and maybe a few more surprises. That's just how I feel about that.
    Apparently the original screenplay was pretty good, sans the third act. That's hardly "complete disarray."
    Have you read the leaked e-mails? I have.
    doghouse wrote: »
    LOL
    It pretty clear you haven't read the leaked e-mails...
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    As much as I'm not bothered Nolan directs a Bond I very much doubt he'd go for the codename theory and EON have far more control over their directors than Warner had over Nolan, they let him have the keys to the castle to do with what he liked.

Though he delivered 2 billion dollar grossing films so I can't imagine they were miffed at his results. With the exception of TDKR I though he did a fine job but I don't read comic books and get wrapped up in all the mythology so I'm more likely to enjoy it than people who are looking for the comics on the screen.

Marvel it seems have delivered for their fans a far more faithful product but their films bore me silly so go figure.

As for Mendes regretting directing Spectre PP your posts get more amusing as they go on. I certainly don't want remakes but if they can do justice with ESB with a more Fleming geared reading I've no problem with revisiting Bond's arc as long as it's done with some originality and makes sense.

To be honest I can't see them abandoning the personal angle at least till after Craig's left and then still any actor that comes after him I'm afraid Timmer isn't going to be portraying Bond like you are hoping. The 2 dimensional man on a mission with no emotional investment firing out quips every 5 minutes is gone for sometime yet. Craig's changed the face of Bond and his effect isn't going to be dropped just because a bunch of fans want their nostalgia fix.

You've got 20 other films to sate that appetite, just be grateful you have them. Fans just don't understand these films are not just their own little sandpit to enjoy, these are massive financial products wanting to appeal to as many people as possible and this model of Bond might not be impressing fan boys but at the moment it's doing fine with the rest.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 4,619
    Ok, here is a question: am I the only one who has read the leaked e-mails? I mean the e-mails sent from October 2013 to November 2014 between Amy Pasal, Barbara Broccoli, Sam Mendes and various Sony Pictures and MGM executives discussing Spectre. Has anyone else read them?
    Ok, here is a question: am I the only one who has read the leaked e-mails?

No.
  • No i read those, the emails didnt fill me with much confidence. But the scripts ive read fill me with more confidence that they will get it right!
    LOL

The leaked emails were from a few months ago. The latest script, the one I read, was dated December 1st for revisions so it's past that point. Everything you're expressing concern about was changed, altered or fixed completely pretty much.

As I said, have faith my friend.

No.

I doubt you have read all of them. There is one line from Mendes that would be on the front page of every entertainment related website, had any entertainment jounalist taken the effort to comb through all the e-mails.
    km16 wrote: »
    The leaked emails were from a few months ago. The latest script, the one I read, was dated December 1st for revisions so it's past that point. Everything you're expressing concern about was changed, altered or fixed completely pretty much.

As I said, have faith my friend.

You don't understand what I'm talking about. Even if the final script turned out to be amazing, that doesn't change the fact that Spectre had a very hectic pre-production. Back in June/July they were even talking about possibly moving the release date to 2016 (which I think they should have done).
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Uh oh. Bad?

No.

I doubt you have read all of them. There is one line from Mendes that would be on the front page of every entertainment related website, had any entertainment jounalist taken the effort to comb through all the e-mails.

You would be wrong then.

The difference is I'm not expressing hilariously over the top hyberbole drama like you are. There were issues. They were sorted. Nothing more or less. All accounts from set reports is Mendes is in a very good mood.
    You would be wrong then.

The difference is I'm not expressing hilariously over the top hyberbole drama like you are. There were issues. They were sorted. Nothing more or less. All accounts from set reports is Mendes is in a very good mood.

Over the top hyperbole drama? They were in very deep trouble back in June and July. Yes, it seems like they managed to write a decent script in the last minute, but that doesn't change the fact how severe the situation was during the summer. Had they started working on the script much earlier and had they addressed the script issues in time, then they could have written a great screenplay.
    Had they started working on the script much earlier and had they addressed the script issues in time, then they could have written a great screenplay.

Which has approximately zero to do with your assertion Mendes regrets doing Spectre, which was absurd.
  • I
    LOL

The leaked emails show that the suits were pretty happy with the script up until the third act. But if you want to go on thinking that this will be a crap movie because of emails showing concerns months ago, over an outdated script, which none of us should have seen, then go ahead. Imagine the disaster people would have been predicting on the internet about Back to the Future, had the internet been around back then. The studio fired the film's star and a month's worth of footage needed to be scrapped, reworked and re-filmed, yet that had no impact on the movie's success.
    Which has approximately zero to do with your assertion Mendes regrets doing Spectre, which was absurd.

Read the two e-mails Sam Mendes sent to Amy Pascal on July 14th or the one Barbara Broccoli sent to Pascal on August 30th. I won't quote because I don't want to get banned.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    @PanchitoPistoles; MI6 community's resident fear monger lol.
    doubleoego wrote: »

I am absolutely certain the movie won't be a disaster and I have stated that many times, so labeling me a fear monger will only result in people not taking you seriously. I'm not saying the movie will be bad, I am saying it won't be great only because how incompetent they were during pre-production. And it's infuriating to know that this movie could have been amazing, had they handled the issues surrounding the script writing process better.
    Do you guys think the the pre production has been a nightmare and Mendes is upset?
  • doubleoego wrote: »

I am absolutely certain the movie won't be a disaster and I have stated that many times, so labeling me a fear monger will only result in people not taking you seriously. I'm not saying the movie will be bad, I am saying it won't be great only because how incompetent they were during pre-production. And it's infuriating to know that this movie could have been amazing, had they handled the issues surrounding the script writing process better.

I would again refer you to 'Back to the Future.' This movie hasn't even been filmed yet, there's no way of knowing how the final product will turn out.
    I think everyone has calmed down by now, but I know for a fact that both Mendes and Barabra Broccoli were really upset back in June and July. It's not like they had a great script for a long time and they were just polishing it. The story of the pre-production of Spectre is not like the story of a plane landing safely after a long flight, but more like the story of 50 people surviving the crash landing of a plane that had 100 passangers.
    edited December 2014 Posts: 11,139

No offence, mate but you're the last person to be talking about anyone taking another person seriously.
    You've flat out stated that SPECTRE won't be great because of the production's dicey preproduction period. That's a big statement to make considering the fact that you're harping on about news that we already knew about months ago with the whole polite turmoil business and then there's the fact that substantial positive changes have been made since and that tweaks to how they deliver and execute the story they want to tell will be applied throughout the course of filming and as it is right now from what we do know, this film could be even better than CR. So, your misplaced discouragement I believe is something the majority of people here is enough to warrant not taking you seriously. You really need to chill.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    someone forgot his ritalin. :))
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Do you guys think the the pre production has been a nightmare and Mendes is upset?

Don't get sucked into @Panchito's overblown hysteria.
    Tuck91 wrote: »

Don't get sucked into @Panchito's overblown hysteria.

+1
  • aaron819aaron819 Switzerland
    I compleytley agree with @doubleoego and with @doghouse that @Panchito is a bit brining hysteria to this forum. Calm down, please.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 4,622
    @shardlake , I guess you really love your As The World Turns Bond, and all the power to you, but really, its a bit much to think that this is a permanent trend.
    That makes no sense. Surely they run out of ideas. It would be unnatural for Bond to be emotionally tortured for every film going forward.
    This phase will peter out. If you've been reading the various fan boards over the last several years, as I am sure you have, you would see there is plenty of polite resistance to the drama.
    I will admit, I can be a bit of a drama-queen myself, when waxing on the drama of the Craig-era. I amuse myself at least.
    But understand, no-one is advocating a two dimensional approach.
    Connery's iconic portrayal was hardly two dimensional. There was much range in Sean's performance. He was utterly convincing as licensed to kill, OO operative.
    Connery's portrayal was deftly nuanced. He and Terrence Young knew exactly how to craft the screen-Bond persona.
    Connery did a lot of acting with facial expression and body language.
    Moore for that matter had his moments of gravitas also. Dalton I would actually acuse of overselling on occasion. Same with Broz.
    Craig though, does play the part quite well. He is the closest to Connery that we have seen I think. And the Craig films, most notably SF, have indulged the quips. The good actors like Connery and Craig, can deliver these lines effectively.
    What I find way over the top is the material that Craig has been asked to work with. Too much drama, and I do think Eon is paying attention.
    It does seem the tortured Bond is being dispensed with in this film.
    Sure, Bond has to deal with revelations of foster brother, but I don't think we are going to get old dog slumming on the beach for three months from SF, or the interminable trust issues with M, which plagued the two origins films -CR plus its utterly pointless sequel.
    Pointless, in that, did we really need a direct sequel? I say no. Bond with full mojo restored, would have been far more interesting, IMHO of course.
    Again, only my opinion, but CR I think, would have been so much better if they didn't try to pass it off as an origins film.
    There was so much great material to work with anyway, with the Vesper sideplot, if they were looking for a little more dramatic heft.
    So what I am saying,is that we are not talking an either-or dynamic.
    Its not a case of cardboard cut-out Bond, versus never-ending soap opera.
    There is an equilibrium that can be reached.
    SP might actually be getting closer to a balance or bringing the pendulum back more towards what we are used to, AND I should add, what has also worked just fine - most notably the Sean Connery films.
    This is not nostalgia. The original groundbreaking movies are timeles.
    They are the film's cinematic roots. The Bond persona is timeless.
    Bond is no more inclined to soap opera scripts in 2014 than he was in 1964 or for that matter 2064. Its just a phase. It can't possibly continue.
    Bond movies will continue long after we are all dead IMO. There will be many more little bumps along the road, and experiments to come, but the original films will always exist as a tried and true template.
    Anyway blah blah blah..who cares..what's done is done.. and I do think, SP is moving us into very interesting territory.

@km16 I haven't read any of the actual scripts, so I do appreciate your detailed breakdowns. Nice job!

So based on your breakdowns, I am now 100% convinced that poor Maddy Swan will be offed at the beginning of B25. Everything is pointing towards this, espeically the We Have All The Time in the World line. Plus we have the OHMSS shattered glass, the mountain clinic, Blofeld etc.
    Its all falling into place. This is a novel approach. I do applaud. It's a re-envisioning of the Tracy scenario from OHMSS, for the new timeline.
    I have never advocated the film series re-do the original Fleming novel treatments. The first 6 films were done flawlessly IMO, even YOLT captured much of the Fleming novel.
    Any re-makes would invite comparisons. It would be hard to make those original films any better, as they also had the advantage of being made within scant years of the original source material.
    I wouldn't mind seeing the original Fleming stories re-done someday in an HBO format, in sequential order, without the bombast of major cinematic release, but that's another topic.
    But this new approach with SP is quite exciting. I am almost certain, that Bond25 will thus be some kind of riff on Flemings YOLT, which means Blofeld will have to be killed, if they are trying to really capture the spirit of the original stories.
    The possibilities for a great follow-up are very real. If they want to lay on the drama here, go for it. Post Tracy is when Fleming actually did put Bond in a bad place.
    HOWEVER, the magic of cinema, being what it is, nothing says Spectre couldn't continue for future films but with a new ESB, or ESB might remain permanently elusive (smokestack drop notwithstanding) as in the original run of films. Don't know.
    Bit if Ernst is killed in B25, some other madman could simply assume the persona, including cat.

@km16, yes, it is hard to get a read on what the gun-in-the-river tossing might actually mean. What we do know though is that the film does seem to end on a lighter more tranditional note, with Bond and girl.
    I think the filmmakers are going for a Bond with full mojo back. We haven't seen that in the Craig-era yet, at least not for a full film, so I am not actually that worried about drama-overkill. I think the worst is behind.
    And Seydoux has potential to be one of the great Bond girls. She's a serious actor.
    i think Mendes and the actors will be able to sell a genuine emotional connection.
    I am eagerly anticipating this movie. I had no such anticipation for either QoS or SF, once I knew what was going down with all the Bond and M issues, death of M, Skyfall lodge etc.
    One issue, that others have mentioned is this notion that Eon is clearly making things up as they go along. The decision to tie all 4 Craig films under the SP umbrella was clearly dreamed up post SF. But this is really no different that the serial-drama approach that a lot of TV shows take.
    Hopeuflly attempts to links the 4 films don't come across as too forced.

In order of anticipation.

1. Austria clinic and subsequent actions scenes. OHMSS redux.
    2 Mexico pts looks great. AVTAK,OP, TB pts homage sort of, via presence of female agent assisting.
    3. Spectre meeting. TB homage.
    4. Bond at flat with LALD homage, ie girl running around and MP visiting in the wee hours.
    5. Dr No dinner with Oberhauser
    6. Train sequence and fight.
    7 . Rome car chase. even the Fiat looks like a nod to the Rog era. Very nice.

post Morocco I am not as crazy about, but we shall see.