On Her Majesty's Secret Service- Very overrated?

Comments

The reason for Laz not coming back had nothing to do with the box office, it had to do completely with his just horrible attitude. I think had he continued, the 70's films would have been more of a balanced set of stories and not the silly yuck fests they turned out to be. Moore's films were the worst reviewed in the series, compared to the previous films.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    The reason for Laz not coming back had nothing to do with the box office, it had to do completely with his just horrible attitude. I think had he continued, the 70's films would have been more of a balanced set of stories and not the silly yuck fests they turned out to be. Moore's films were the worst reviewed in the series, compared to the previous films.

The reason for Laz not returning after OHMSS is a very grey area. The most common accepted version is that his agent told him that "there is no future for the James Bond films".

And your fixation with Roger Moore and "reviews" is becoming SO TIRING! Your bashing has absolutely nothing to do with this thread.

Honestly, I think you actually love Rog and his films.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    And your fixation with Roger Moore and "reviews" is becoming SO TIRING! Your bashing has absolutely nothing to do with this thread.

Well, I hate all of Connery's films- they were widely disliked by most people on Earth, and got really bad reviews.

;) :))
    LOL!
    LOL!
    Props for your sense of humour, mate.
    :)>-
    Thanks, Mate.
    if you can't have a laugh on a Bond thread, how can we head out and face the realities of the world around us?
    No. I still believe it's the best Bond movie I have seen . . . so far.
    Watching it right now.

Very classy film but FRWL is still the best Bond movie.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    It's only second to From Russia With Love, IMO dear @BAIN123 ;-)
    Same with me.
  • Mi6LisbonBranchMi6LisbonBranch Lisbon, Portugal
    00Beast wrote:
    To me, I find this one to be extremely overrated, and I don't see what all the big to-do is about. After watching it yesterday and today, I still hold true to my standings that it is one of my least favorites, if not my least favorite. Reasons why, you ask? (1) Lazenby just isn't that terrific, (2) the pacing is awful, (3) the music isn't top notch, (4) too many boring scenes prior to Bond's arrival at Piz Gloria, and even some when he's there, (5) Tracy isn't very interesting, and I could probably go on. Now yes, there are some great moments here, like the ski chases, the ice car rally, the final battle, and Savalas as Blofeld, but they just don't outweigh the vast amount of negatives. Does anybody agree, or have I just thrown myself to the sharks?

Well @00Beast i respect your opinion, because that's what it is and it's your honest one. Mine is totally diferent.
    This remains for me the best JB movie ever made, after repeated and repeated viewings.
    Epic is the word that best describe it.
    I agree Lazenby was still warming up to become (which never happened) the new 007. But on the rest i couldnt disagree more. The pace builds up with the story and has a majestic climax in Piz Gloria, John Barry's Score is probably one of the best ever made for cinema and Tracy is brilliantly played by the beautiful and talented Diana Rig.
    I actually saw the movie again a few weeks ago and guess what .. loved it!!
    But still i respect your view, and what matters in the end is our commitment with this franchise/legacy..religion!!
    Laz is the weak link in the film but that's because he's a rookie actor amongst a group of veterans (Rigg, Lee, Maxwell and Savalas). His later comment that it wasnt a good film to start off with is probably correct. If he was going to carry a film like that he needed more acting experience.
    GL receives a lot of criticism on this site for his "acting" ability. It would be nice to read some specifics. Exactly how does GL fail in comparison to Moore?
  • I have seen all the Bond films up and until TB in their first release on th big screen.

Are you sure you dont mean 'since TB' or have you really never gone to see a Bond film at the cinema in the past 47 years, yet are still enough of a fan to come on this site? Very odd.
    Moore's a better, more experienced actor. Simple.

I remember @RC7 once claimed Laz "had an aura of simple-mindedness", a claim I think is often correct. At least with Moore you feel he's been around a bit.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Moore was a trained actor he delivers his lines naturally on camera and is confident. Lazenby just wanted to be Bond because he took his girlfriend to the cinema to see Goldfinger and she spent more time staring at Sean Connery than kissing in the back row. He bought a rolex and suit from Anthony Sinclair that Connery did not want and blagged his way in to Saltzmans office and told a pack of lies about his acting past yet he had never acted before. He was out of his depths during filming and was too caught up on his new found fame and women he was late on set and could never remember his lines. An assistant would stand behind who he was talking too with cue cards. Post production and without his knowledge he over dubbed by George Baker. Some argue to make him sound like the real sir hilary but if Lazenby could act he could have done a convincing English a cent, but he could not. Saltzman and Broccoli fought over Lazeby being given the role Broccoli wanted a credible actor upon learning Lazenby was not Saltzman stood by him. It's the greatest novel but the film bombed and Sir Sean returned to save the franchise OHMSS is often the forgoten Bond. That was for a reason.
    edited December 2014 Posts: 2,138
    Goldfinger $3M to make made $124M at box office.

OHMSS cost $7M and took only $64

Sean returned DAF $7.2M to make made $116M

@SirHilaryBray I find it ironic that your username and profile picture depicts the very thing you hate. Not criticising, just an observation.
    I dont hate,what said is fact and can be confirmed on official authorised docu films. OHMSS is my favorite novel not film. The real Sir Hilary and I are from the same area of Scotland.
    Some Trivia for you George Baker Director Peter Hunt's neighbour George Baker was offered the part of Sir Hilary Bray. Baker had appeared previously as an (uncredited) NASA engineer in 1967's "You Only Live Twice
    " and would go on to portray Captain Benson, the James Bond
     ally in the 1977 film "The Spy Who Loved Me
    "

Ironically the over dub artist appeared in more Bonds than Lazenby.
    Erm, thanks for that...
    Goldfinger $3M to make made $124M at box office.

OHMSS cost $7M and took only $64

Sean returned DAF $7.2M to make made $116M
    You're a bean counter, eh?
    No but the figures show what people thought about the film at the time and what happened after. Only in recent years have fan boys of OHMSS piped up in support because of the culture shift. Back then OHMSS lacked the macho edge that fans of the earlier films loved. It was a love story. Times have changed and Dan's films are like OHMSS in that they are more about personal story than the macho bond with the gadgets that people are finding OHMSS more in line with whats being done now. But OHMSS was in mh my and in most peoples eyes at the time a poor attempt its now being glorified. But I dont think had Connery stayed OHMSS would have been the next film made. YOLO the novel starts with Bond mourning Traceys loss so OHMSS had already been bypassed.
    edited December 2014 Posts: 17,691
    No but the figures show what people thought about the film at the time and what happened after. Only in recent years have fan boys of OHMSS piped up in support because of the culture shift.
    Rotten Tomatoes give it 81% from the peerless critics & 64 % from the unwashed masses!

But then, what good are ratings if you can't feel the vibe?
    Isn't that your motto?
    Calling me a faaanboy means you don't know just where to huuurt me....
    I assume you have not read the novel, anyone who has would know its nowhere near as good. Fanboy was not an insult your a fan and I assume you are boy. My comments are in criticism of the film you dont need to agree just dont patronise me with your rebuttles the film is the weak link the box office takings shows its an historic glitch in the franchise that and probably Moonraker.
    Moonraker? It was the highest grossing Bond film up to that point!
    But of course.
    Hey MayDay, you got my TWINE joke there, right?

chrisisall wrote: »
    But of course.
    Hey MayDay, you got my TWINE joke there, right?

Indeed!

After all, TWINE is one of my favourite Barnd, James Barnd films.
    :))
    So explain the batmam tv show style sound effects outside Draco's office. Its jusrlt rediculous.