Last album you listened to?

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Electribe 101-Electribal Memories

Guardians of the Galaxy "Awesome Mix". Love "Hooked on a Feeling".
    Now listening to Fra Lippo Lippi-The Early Years.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Led Zeppelin - the debut album

Great stuff! Mix of bluesy, prog and folky, with both Paige and Bonham both excelling. Quite possibly my fav Led Zepp album. Standout track is "Dazed and Confused".
  • Emigrate - Silent so Long

Great. Much better than the first one.
    Stan Ridgway- The Big Heat
  • The last album I listen to was Taylor Swift new album called 1989. The song I like from her album is Shake it off and Welcome to New York. Other album that I listen to is Queens album . The song I like is bohemian rhapsody and another bites the dust.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 2,081
    I listen to so much music - and usually whole albums, too - that if I was updating here all the time... well I wouldn't have time for it, and neither would anyone else. :P

Most of the stuff I've been listening to is old - and no, by "old" I don't mean 1990's, kids, I mean older... like 1920s and so on... ;)

But recently I've actually been listening to some stuff released this century, too:

Muse - The 2nd Law
    Muse - Black Holes And Revelations
    Muse - Origin Of Symmetry
    Robert Plant - Band Of Joy
    Robert Plant - Lullaby and... The Ceaseless Roar

The Handsome Family - Singing Bones
    - if the name isn't familiar, you may have heard this track from that album::

Only one of those was recently released (Lullaby and the Ceaseless Roar), but they're all brand new in my collection (the Muse cds only arrived 2 days ago), and so are now constantly listened to at home, and they're all great. :)

While on the move I've mostly listened to 3 albums most of the time for months now:

Nine Inch Nails - Hesitation Marks
    My favourite NIN together with the (very different) 1st cd of The Fragile.
    This may not be most people's idea of NIN (after the first couple of tracks anyway), and it's all the better for it. (Well, Ghosts was probably even less what most people would have thought, I'm sure, but thank goodness David Fincher heard that one... and so we've gotten some fab soundtracks. But that's another story, this is a different thing altogether. Probably the kind of album some old NIN fans won't like because it isn't Downward Spiral part 10 or something, and some other folks will never listen to because they fear it will be exactly that. *sigh*

30 Seconds To Mars - Love, Lust, Faith + Dreams
    Some of you will recognize the opening track ;)

30 Seconds To Mars - This Is War
    the track that originally made me decide I need to buy that album (yes, I'm weird like that - I loooove those monks):

Ahhh...
    David Sylvian-Dead Bees On A Cake.

Exquisite.
    Katherine Jenkins "Home Sweet Home". What a voice !
    Twin Peaks-Fire Walk With Me by Angelo Badalementi et al. This soundtrack is all over the place.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The music of "Batman: The Animated Series" Volume One.

Ah music to my ears. Full of classic style orchestrations with modern flare. My favorite track is the theme to the episode "Joker's Favor." As silly as the farting trumpets are, it's so gleeful and fun. Much like the Joker himself.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 2,400
    Pink Floyd - The Endless River (2014)

Wow. That was absolutely phenomenal. I can't think of any other album that's had such disproportionately low-scoring reviews compared to the quality of the final product. 6/10? Bollocks! 9, easily!

Every single song here is excellent. The only two other Pink Floyd albums I can say that for are Dark Side (obviously) and Wish You Were Here. This sounds intelligently, thoughtfully constructed, it sounds genuine, it sounds like 20 years of work was put into making it absolutely perfect.

There are glimpses of Division Bell in here, of course - one song even sounds a bit like it would fit in on Momentary Lapse, except unlike that album the song is actually good - but I find the album is largely a homage to their work from AHM to Animals, with a little hint of Piper and Saucerful in there too.

Richard Wright's playing is mercurial... this is his epitaph and every note that comes from his fingers across the 53 minutes is beautiful. This album also has my favourite guitar work out of anything David Gilmour has ever played on, with the exception of Dark Side and The Wall.

I love how each side is a suite. I adore that. Granted, this isn't the first... or second... or third time Pink Floyd have done this, but unlike on, say, The Wall or WYWH, where it just feels like they overlapped the sounds to make gapless album sides, this feels like Dark Side in that each side actually feels like a cohesive, single piece of music.

Each side crescendos slowly, building into a climax before mellowing down again. And the album itself does the same thing, with 48 minutes of buildup before the first proper vocals come in. I knew about this before listening thanks to word of mouth, but I didn't expect it to work as brilliantly as it did. It was like the release of finishing off a long day of hard work. It's a beautifully structured album, and even more excellently executed one.

I can't even pick highlights, mainly because I can't remember yet the song names and such, but almost everything here is a highlight for me. There is definitely some stuff on here that places among the best songs PF have ever done.

And what I love about The Endless River, more than anything else, is that it proves Pink Floyd are a bigger band than any of its' members. People often say that Momentary Lapse and Division Bell were proof they couldn't do it without Waters, and I think this is proof that they just needed to find their footing. People also like to forget that the transition after Barrett was booted didn't go over well, either: they had to get through More and Ummagumma before they managed to make Atom Heart Mother and Meddle.

I need to listen to this a couple more times to really get my proper, definitive stance on it, but this is my favourite album of the year and I rank it very high among Pink Floyd's catalogue: the lowest I would place it is 7th, behind Meddle and Piper, but 5th seems more likely to me, behind the "Big Four" (Dark Side, WYWH, Animals, The Wall), and then on top of that I could even place this above Animals and The Wall for 3rd. It's one of the best Pink Floyd records no matter how you look at it.

9/10. Repeat listens, if rewarding enough, will bump this up to a 9.5. An excellent, otherworldly record that deserves to be listened to by any music lover, Pink Floyd fans and non-fans (are there even such a thing?) alike, and a beautiful tribute to both Richard Wright and Pink Floyd as a whole.

Mod: Profanity removed
    Smashing Pumpkins-Gish
    The first was the best. The second was not half bad either.
    You know I apologize if my choice of words is offensive to some, but I've made a serious effort since joining last year to heavily reduce my use of any word that might cause an issue. I got really into talking about a band - and album - that I'm passionate about and it just kinda sucks that instead of provoking a discussion about The Endless River, the only response to my review has been "profanity removed".
    Smashing Pumpkins-Gish
    The first was the best. The second was not half bad either.

Wow, Gish as the best? I can see where you're coming from - Rhinoceros and Snail are two of their absolute best songs - but it's so unrefined compared to Siamese Dream and lacks ambition compared to MCIS. It's also the only Pumpkins album I consider repetitive.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited November 2014 Posts: 7,314
    Siamese Dream, personally speaking, is just about perfect in every way. Admittedly, there are nostalgic reasons for this. I was about 15 or 16 when that album came out and it just spoke to me in a very profound way at the time. Perhaps the middle section of Silverf**k is about the only place where it drags on a bit too long. Anyway, Gish has some really nice moments and there are parts of Mellon Collie that are incredible so to each their own.

it just kinda sucks that instead of provoking a discussion about The Endless River, the only response to my review has been "profanity removed"....
    Every single song here is excellent. The only two other Pink Floyd albums I can say that for are Dark Side (obviously) and Wish You Were Here. This sounds intelligently, thoughtfully constructed, it sounds genuine, it sounds like 20 years of work was put into making it absolutely perfect.
    You're right. I think that you wrote a great review. It is very high praise indeed so you've made me curious to hear it now.
    pachazo wrote: »
    Siamese Dream, personally speaking, is just about perfect in every way. Admittedly, there are nostalgic reasons for this. I was about 15 or 16 when that album came out and it just spoke to me in a very profound way at the time. Perhaps the middle section of Silverf**k is about the only place where it drags on a bit too long. Anyway, Gish has some really nice moments and there are parts of Mellon Collie that are incredible so to each their own.

it just kinda sucks that instead of provoking a discussion about The Endless River, the only response to my review has been "profanity removed"....
    You're right. I think that you wrote a great review. It is very high praise indeed so you've made me curious to hear it now.

Thank you so much, dude. It was such a great listen, I really didn't have any issues at all with it to be honest. I definitely think the critics were incredibly unfair to The Endless River.

On the Pumpkins, I'll say the big "flaw" for me on Siamese Dream is Sweet Sweet. Frail and Bedazzled should've been where it is on the album, but I still like Sweet Sweet and ultimately the album is still in my top ten of all time so, it's a very minor complaint.

For the record, I'd rate the original lineup Pumpkins records like so:

1: Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (tied with OK Computer as my favourite album ever)
    2: Siamese Dream (top five)
    3: Adore (top 25)
    4: Pisces Iscariot (top 75)
    5: Gish
    6: Machina I
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    eisbrecher_zps5a92d438.jpg

if anyone here is a fan of Rammstein, and you have not experienced Eisbrecher - i suggest you stop what you're doing right now, and go look them up.. they are amazing.. I really wish they would come to the US on a tour with Rammstein - although if that happened, my big fat Ohio head might explode lol..... anyways, these are 2 songs off their more recent album pictured above..

Verrückt

Herz Aus Eis

Love Eisbrecher. They are the twins of Rammstein. I also really like Siamese Dream, but it has been a while since I listened to that one.

Red House Painters-Helicopter
    This band is so damn soothing to listen to.
  • 716Nrgmxj4L._SX425_PJautoripBadge,BottomRight,4,-40_OU11__.jpg
    A Curious Thing by Amy Macdonald
    the only Album I've ever bought where i like every single track.
    James Brown live at the Apollo brilliant Soul

Tower of Power - Live and living colour another excellent live cd with some stomping great Soul music.

Goldeneye a very undervalued but original 007 soundtrack, perhaps not everybody his/her taste but it is very recognisable as 007/Goldeneye music.
    I actually like the GE score.

Madrugada-live at Tralfamadore
    So, my final evaluations of The Endless River mean my current ranking of Pink Floyd goes like so:

15: A Momentary Lapse of Anything that Made Pink Floyd a Great Band Reason
    14: More
    13: Obscured by Clouds
    12: The Final Cut
    11: Ummagumma
    10: The Division Bell
    9: A Saucerful of Secrets
    8: Atom Heart Mother
    7: Meddle
    6: The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
    5: The Endless River
    4: The Wall
    3: Animals
    2: Wish You Were Here
    1: The Dark Side of the Moon
    Love 666-self titled.

Everybody s got a gun. USA.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 5,767
    ACDC - Rock or Bust

Solid so far with a slight 70s touch and as comfortable-sounding as it appears a bit bland at first listen. But I won´t be fooled by that, cause it was like that with almost every ACDC album for me. Looking forward to heavy-rotating it. The short playing time (11 songs in 35min) helps to make the album kinda slick.

What can be said for sure is that Mal and Angus´ nephew (who I think is merely 3 or 4 years younger than them) Stevie fits in sonically as smoothly as he does visually. Which doesn´t surprise if one considers that apparently not many people noticed when he played a tour in the 80s while Malcolm was in rehab.

Song credits go all to Malcolm and Angus.

The CD comes with a 3D cover with an exploding Band logo. I usually find those 3D gimmicks utter nonsense, but this one really is a blast. I can sit and flip it for 20min without being bored.

@StirredNotShaken, love your Floyd review! I guess reading it sparked the idea in me of giving it a thorough listen after all. We´ll see if that is gonna spark a discussion ;-).
    Appreciated, @boldfinger.

I'd just like to edit the statement about Dark Side, WYWH and now TER being the only PF albums that are flawless; I should've included Animals in that too
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,043

So, my final evaluations of The Endless River mean my current ranking of Pink Floyd goes like so:

While I couldn't get on board with putting The Endless River as high as that, I have far more regard for Meddle, Obscured By Clouds, Atom Heart Mother and The Final Cut. I would agree it's probably the best post Waters Floyd to date, anything is better than Momentary Lapse of Band Members and The Division Bell despite having one cold stone classic Floyd track (High Hopes) is a decidedly mixed affair quality wise.

The first half of TER reminds me more of WYWH with touches of TDB and Mason's drumming recalls his showcase from A Saucerful of Secrets title track. Rick's playing really takes centre stage throughout and shows how integral he was to their sound, something that gets overlooked due to Waters and Gilmour's contirbutions to their back cat. Though it hits a bump when we get to Asinia which sounds like the theme to Cheers or even Cagney & Lacey, the sax in there is horrendous.

The rest is fine, I don't mind Louder Than Words, I'm glad Gilmour chose to stick to instrumentals for the most of the album, one track with the Wife writing the lyrics is excusable although more than that with other collaborator might have given it's detractors ammunition to well and truly put the boot in.

For the record Floyd are my favourite band of all time and I've been a fan for 35 years of my life, I own all their studio albums including this one on vinyl, I got more from The Endless River than I was expecting and considering I never thought I'd hear another Floyd album again I consider this a most suitable swan song.
    Shardlake wrote: »

While I couldn't get on board with putting The Endless River as high as that, I have far more regard for Meddle, Obscured By Clouds, Atom Heart Mother and The Final Cut. I would agree it's probably the best post Waters Floyd to date, anything is better than Momentary Lapse of Band Members and The Division Bell despite having one cold stone classic Floyd track (High Hopes) is a decidedly mixed affair quality wise.

The first half of TER reminds me more of WYWH with touches of TDB and Mason's drumming recalls his showcase from A Saucerful of Secrets title track. Rick's playing really takes centre stage throughout and shows how integral he was to their sound, something that gets overlooked due to Waters and Gilmour's contirbutions to their back cat. Though it hits a bump when we get to Asinia which sounds like the theme to Cheers or even Cagney & Lacey, the sax in there is horrendous.

The rest is fine, I don't mind Louder Than Words, I'm glad Gilmour chose to stick to instrumentals for the most of the album, one track with the Wife writing the lyrics is excusable although more than that with other collaborator might have given it's detractors ammunition to well and truly put the boot in.

For the record Floyd are my favourite band of all time and I've been a fan for 35 years of my life, I own all their studio albums including this one on vinyl, I got more from The Endless River than I was expecting and considering I never thought I'd hear another Floyd album again I consider this a most suitable swan song.

See, the thing about Anisina is, that sax at first made me go "oh, no..." because I thought we were back to Momentary Lapse-era bullshit, but I ultimately didn't mind it, honestly. It's one questionable minute out of 53 minutes of excellence, if you ask me.

I think I'm just really happy I can say I was alive for the release of a Floyd album now, as well.
    Appreciated, @boldfinger.

I'd just like to edit the statement about Dark Side, WYWH and now TER being the only PF albums that are flawless; I should've included Animals in that too
    Shardlake wrote: »

See, the thing about Anisina is, that sax at first made me go "oh, no..." because I thought we were back to Momentary Lapse-era bullshit, but I ultimately didn't mind it, honestly. It's one questionable minute out of 53 minutes of excellence, if you ask me.

I think I'm just really happy I can say I was alive for the release of a Floyd album now, as well.

Well I'm 42 so I was actually alive when DSOM was released but didn't really get to know them to around aged 7 when my parents who used to take in Lodger had one in particular that played The Wall to me, can't say that really had much an impact I knew Another Brick Part 2 as it had been a recent no. 1 but it wasn't till he bought and played me on vinyl Darkside and that changed my world. The only music I'd been exposed to was my parents (must thank my Dad for John Barry though) which on the whole was pretty dreadful. Hearing that album put me on the road to PF and I never really looked back, it did take me to I was 17 till I could afford to buy the albums myself which I initially got on CD, i had owned DSOM and SOS on vinyl which I'd bought with pocket money but mostly my PF collection consisted of cassette copies done by our Lodger.

When I fell in love with vinyl 1994 on the back of Pearl Jam releasing Vitalogy on recordl 2 weeks earlier than CD and other formats. I then went about obtaining all the Floyd studio albums on vinyl and have them all, my prized possession is my Columbia Half Speed Master of Wish You Were Here that aces any CD release for and blows away any download.

The Endless River sounds superb on vinyl and the recent reissue of The Division Bell sounds the best it ever has, I love having a session with my turntable, my Japanese pressing of Meddle is another cracker, listening to Echoes loud just sounds incredible.

edited November 2014 Posts: 4,043
    Double post