Last album you listened to?

Comments

I like Mazzy Star's "Look on Down from the Bridge" from The Sopranos, Meadowlands.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Never heard that one, 0013. Will check it out.

Front 242-6:22:9:12

Brilliant Belgian synth band. Not their best album, but I still like it.

I once saw Front 242 live in concert, I do have to note that there were some suspicious characters of the neo Nazi variety around that did take away my fun a wee bit.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    SaintMark wrote:

I once saw Front 242 live in concert, I do have to note that there were some suspicious characters of the neo Nazi variety around that did take away my fun a wee bit.
    Electronic, industrial, originating in the 80s... sounds like something I'd like. I'll have to check them out.
    QBranch wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:

Electronic, industrial, originating in the 80s... sounds like something I'd like. I'll have to check them out.

I have some vinyl albums of them but found them live far better.

SaintMark wrote:

I saw Laibach live once, and they had the same problem. They told them to ock fuff. Also, Diamanda Galas had some satanists among the audience. She did not need to say anything, they were miserable all the same.
    Depeche Mode - Music for the Masses (1987)

tdsnvwd2.j01&format=j21

The album sounds a bit more mature than their previous effort Black Celebration, and overall, I found the quality consistent apart from a couple of tracks towards the end of the album. Besides the singles 'Strangelove', 'Behind the Wheel', 'Never Let Me Down Again' and 'Little 15', my favourite tracks are 'Sacred', 'I Want You Now' and 'The Things You Said'. 4/5
    That is a good one, @QBranch. "The Things You Said" is one of their best tracks ever imo.

This was also when they started using Dutch genius Anton Corbijn for their music videos, which helped give them a more "mature" image.

Japan-Quiet Life

I miss this band.
    Alice Cooper - Raise Your Fist And Yell

Never heard it before, but a fan of Coopers and running out of his albums to buy. Its not great but some good songs that are enjoyable
    QBranch, I pretty much agree with what you said above. My favorite tracks on the album are still the same they were back then: Never Let Me Down Again (Anton Corbijn's video is fab, too), Behind the Wheel and PIMPF (that should be in a movie... I've always heard it as a chase... maybe in a murder story or a horror movie). I love that trio of DM albums starting with Music For The Masses (followed by Violator, 1990, and Songs Of Faith And Devotion, 1993), in my opinion DM at their best. With Black Celebration they were still sort of getting there - some great stuff, but about half the album was kinda meh to me, and when Alan Wilder left after the Devotional tour (a tour which was hazardous to all of their health and sanity and nearly killed the band), they lost a very important member, responsible for a lot of ideas and arrangements.

I wonder if you're familiar with Alan's own project, Recoil - started already in the 80's, continued after he left DM?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recoil_(band)
    (The wikipedia entry says "band" but it's actually not - it's Alan w guests)
    At first purely instrumental, later with various guest vocalists (Douglas McCarthy of Nitzer Ebb, Toni Halliday of Curve, Moby, Diamanda Galas, etc). Some of it is very dark. I'm especially fond of (most of) Unsound Methods (1997) and Liquid (2000), a friend of mine prefers Subhuman (2007).

What did I last listen to? Hmm. A friend was visiting for a couple of days and I played her samples of some of what I've bought during the past year or so. We listened to The Ink Spots, Dinning Sisters, Dolores Gray, Ames Brothers, Ella Logan, Hildegarde, Betty Garrett, Annette Hanshaw... (I've been discovering the music of 1920s-1950s during the past few years, so...) and Lesley Gore, Patrick Hernandez, Tom Jones & Jools Holland, Rachel Zeffira, Sting, some 30 Seconds To Mars (she also loved L490 - with monks and all... and Birth... the most interesting stuff never gets to singles or radio). I think the last cd we listened to was Bryan Ferry's As Time Goes By (an album of old songs by people like Cole Porter et al). Heck I should have played her the new Agnes Obel and Nine Inch Nails albums... I've told her plenty of times they're great, but people may never get around to listening to something no matter how many times you tell them they should... ;)
    Ok, the link doesn't take you to where it's supposed to, and I don't seem to be able to edit the post. Hopefully I figure out some day how the edit function works... (Nothing happens when I click on "edit")
    edited July 2014 Posts: 13,879
    Tuulia wrote: »
    I think the last cd we listened to was Bryan Ferry's As Time Goes By (an album of old songs by people like Cole Porter et al). Heck I should have played her the new Agnes Obel and Nine Inch Nails albums... I've told her plenty of times they're great, but people may never get around to listening to something no matter how many times you tell them they should... ;)
    I love anything from Bryan Ferry. I saw him in concert ('For Your Pleasure' Tour, 2011)- it was shorter than expected, but I still enjoyed it immensely and bought a neat shirt to wear. On that note, I just googled him to discover he has received an honorary Doctorate of Music:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/488338/Bryan-Ferry-Doctor-of-Music-Newcastle-University

Nine Inch Nails is a band I've been into since around 2000, but I only own Downward Spiral. Been getting around to picking up their other albums, as well as Reznor's other material.
    Tuulia wrote: »
    I wonder if you're familiar with Alan's own project, Recoil - started already in the 80's, continued after he left DM?
    I haven't heard of Recoil, but it sounds appealing. Thanks for the suggestion! :)>-

Also, I agree about Black Celebration. There's some real cool songs on there, but 5 of them just don't appeal to me- which is nearly half the album. I do like the title track though, and how it gathers momentum.

Regarding DM's earlier stuff, one of my favourites has to be the innocent, naive 'See You' and it's film clip too. Look how young they are! :))

Yes, QBranch, I know... :x I've been a DM fan since 1985. Saw them live for the first time on Devotional tour and every tour since, most recently last December. Still fab live. I'll be curious to hear what you think of Recoil once you've heard some - you may like some and hate some, very varied stuff.

I'd love to see Bryan Ferry live. Hadn't heard about the honorary doctorate, that's cool.

Nine Inch Nails is also interesting in that the music varies a lot. For instance, I knew what Ghosts was like before I bought it, but I bet some people didn't and no doubt some were "WTF is this?" :P I love The Fragile (the 1st cd, not so much the 2nd) and Hesitation Marks, but I understand people who don't. What I don't understand though is people who complain that this or that album isn't like some earlier album - with NIN or anyone else. I like artists to surprise me. If I know what the new album is gonna be like, then what's the point? Personally I'd also recommend The Social Network and The Girl With A Dragon Tattoo soundtracks. I don't have How To Destroy Angels, yet, but have heard it, and probably will get the cd, though I'd rather listen to Trent's voice than his wife's. (There's so much music made in the world and my tastes go in all sorts of directions and that means there are always tons of stuff to buy...) Btw, I saw NIN live in May (for the first time), and while it was an interesting experience as a concert and visually, it was not quite for me. (A few songs into it I was thinking "Trent, darling, Jared Leto spoilt me rotten 2 months ago, I want more..." ;) The other concerts I went to during winter/spring, all at the same venue... (and all others pretty much sold out, which probably had an effect on the atmosphere, too) had me grinning for days afterwards - Depeche Mode, 30 Seconds To Mars, Robbie Williams ... all 4 were so very different in so many ways, I could write a book... or at least a longish essay about it. ;;)
    Tricky- PreMillennium Tension

Makes me feel sexy
    Alan007 wrote: »
    Alice Cooper - Raise Your Fist And Yell

Never heard it before, but a fan of Coopers and running out of his albums to buy. Its not great but some good songs that are enjoyable
    Don't think I have that one. I've got about half of his albums. That one is from the leaner '80s period I think.
    I do like later work like Dirty Diamonds, as well as the Brutal Planet, Last Temptation, Dragontown trilogy, plus of course the original classic work such as Billion Dollar Babies, Schools Out, Killer, Love it To Death, Muscle of Love, Nightmare and Goes to Hell.
    Although of the classic stuff, I only own, Babies, Love it to Death, Nightmare and Goes To Hell. The rest, I am familiar with via Greatest Hits and random listens.

Great artist. He's done some really good work in both the rock n' roll and heavy veins.

edited July 2014 Posts: 45,489
    Krafty Moves- a tribute to Kraftwerk

By various bands, quite good.

And now listening to:

Japan-Gentlemen Take Polaroids

One of their best albums. (They are all good)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Two Steps From Hell - "Legend"
    I love me some grand orchestral movie trailer music.
    edited July 2014 Posts: 13,879
    Koo De Tah - self titled LP (1986)

Koo+De+Tah+85.jpg

This synthpop band is comprised of New Zealander Tina Cross and Australian Leon Berger, and ever since discovering them in late 2010, I've been hooked. Way back in the day, I had heard the song they were most famous for, 'Too Young for Promises'- but as catchy as that one is, there are many other less poppy gems to be found on their 10-track album. Throughout the album, the synth sounds are bright, colourful and remain consistent, plus the lovely Tina has a sweet voice not unlike a young Madonna. Most of the tracks are upbeat, but there are one or two slower songs. Sadly, the band wasn't around for long, and this album was the only one they produced. There is very little info about them on the internet, in fact. I love every track on the album, but my absolute favourites are: 'Think of Me', 'Missed You All Along', 'Over to You', 'Meant to Be' and 'Drift Away (Don't Let It)'. 5/5
    Siouxsie and the Banshees - The Scream (1978)

782.jpg

Listening to their work from beginning to end, blasting it on a Friday night. Great debut effort, consistent all the way through. Pure helter skelter. 5/5
    My Bloody Valentine-Loveless

Their third album was as good as anything and quite revolutionary.
    Front 242-Front By Front

What is it with Belgium and EBM?
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 1,817
    Out Among the Stars
    A great "lost" album from Master Cash. Good song, very mainstream from the underlooked 80's era of the Man in Black. I suggest you check out "She Used to Love me a Lot".

Johnny_Cash_-_Out_Among_the_Stars.jpg
  • 71JKEjUSmwL._SL1430_.jpg
    the cover art will haunt me forever, but the album's great
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    ^ There should be a law against that! :))
    Dragonpol wrote: »

No there are far too many laws as it is, politics are choking the life out of ordinary life enough as it is.

Nudity is no problem for me, it is a natural state.

• edited November 2014 Posts: 4,622
    joan jett and the blackhearts, Unvarnished (2013)
    Chugging, crunching guitar rock, Jett style.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQpqoJl9fZaMszvLsaiBNA3fmW2O8nX45ams5zVazva2Jq_ntNoFw

Video from the album, TMI, is a hilarious send-up of frivolous social media postings.

The Fall-Your Future Our Clutter

You can never go wrong with The Fall.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »

No there are far too many laws as it is, politics are choking the life out of ordinary life enough as it is.

Nudity is no problem for me, it is a natural state.

Well, before the Fall of Man it was. After that, it was not. That's my belief though not many share it. :)
    Perfect as Cats-a tribute to The Cure
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,399
    (deleted)