Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    After an outdoor late night screening of The Ring in the old town here a few years ago, several girls were roaming around dressed and made up like that lovely girl in the well wasshername as a gimmick. I missed it myself. Thankfully.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 6,432
    Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides A lot better than I expected, highlight of the film probably being the mermaids. Depp was amusing in the title role as usual.

King Kong Extended Cut Well I must admit I was not a huge fan of the film on DVD, though on Bluray this film looks pretty awesome. The detail and vividness certainly when on skull island is impressive, the highlight being the Kong face off with Three T Rex's. Not entirely sure what has been added as not familiar enough with the film though the violence appears more brutal.
    Kong bites out a T Rex's tongue before snapping its jaw. Don't remember the tongue being ripped out!
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 7,653
    Gone Girl - an excellent movie
    I do hope that Rosamund Pike is in a relationship as it is going to be tough for her after this movie. ;)
    Double Jeopardy with Tommy Lee Jones and Ashley Judd. The first half was honestly pretty mediocre, and I started off disappointed with it, but once Tommy entered the scene it actually becomes a decent flick. All the scenes in New Orleans were pretty entertaining, and I found I just became more engaged by the minute once the slow first half rolled around. Not one of the best films I've ever watched, but it's worth a watch or two if you like Tommy Lee Jones and suspense thrillers (even if it's not quite the cream of the crop).
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 372
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I watched all the Vincent Price/Edgar Allen Poe movies recently. It's amazing to think they could build such beautiful sets with so little money.

Agreed.
    They also re-used many of the sets. ;-)

I know, but they did it so beautifully! When I was watching Pit and the Pendulum I looked up how they managed to build these great sets with a tiny budget like that, and apparently all the walls/fireplaces/door openings were detachable. I think it shows such creativity. And the result is much better than all that CGI crap we have today, if you ask me.

It's also sort of funny trying to spot the same props in different movies. I personally never knew how often they re-used everything back in the 50s/60s. When I was re-watching Horror of Dracula recently, I kept thinking "what a beautiful bed frame" and some time later I saw The Fearless Vampire Killers and I noticed they used it as well.

Set design was great back then. I love the neoclassicism in 40s/50s/60s movie furniture. Last time I saw the 90s remake of the Haunting for example, I thought what a garish mess it looked compared to the original.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Last time I saw the 90s remake of the Haunting for example, I thought what a garish mess it looked compared to the original.

You are indeed very right about that, @SuzanneStone. Everything about the original is superior to the remake, including the acting performances.

• DarthDimi wrote: »
    Last time I saw the 90s remake of the Haunting for example, I thought what a garish mess it looked compared to the original.

You are indeed very right about that, @SuzanneStone. Everything about the original is superior to the remake, including the acting performances.

Everything indeed. :D It's one of my favorite horror movies of all time. I especially love that scene when Julie Hariss's character hears the banging noise and feels someone holding her hand. Apart from Repulsion, never has a movie made me feel more scared or claustrophobic.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Judgment Night. Wow, man, seeing Denis Leary do an evil version of his real self here is simply awesome.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Judgment Night. Wow, man, seeing Denis Leary do an evil version of his real self here is simply awesome.

Great movie, not seen it in years.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2014 Posts: 13,904
    Shocktober updated with Day 25 & 26...

Baron Blood
    baron1.jpg
    Elke Sommer reunites with Mario Bava, for another stylish horror. The sadistic Baron Otto Kleist, aka Baron Blood, carried out acs of torture at his castle, until the Baron was killed by the local villagers. Generations later, the Baron's current descendant arrives at the castle to oversee it's sale, and end up reviving the Baron himself.

Hatchet 2
    still-MarybethGun_rgb.jpg
    Picking up from where the last film ended, Marybeth (now played by genre vet Danielle Harris) has survived her encounter and makes it back to town. Making it back to Rev. Zombie's, Marybeth convinces him that Crowley is still very much alive and kicking. Rounding up a pary consisting some sightseers and trigger happy locals, Marybeth and Rev Zombie (harbouring an agenda of his own), head back into the swamps, to end Crowley's reign of terror once and for all.

31 Days Of Horror:
    Day 1: The Resident (2011)
    Day 2: The Corpse Vanishes (1942)
    Day 3: Horror Of Dracula (1958)
    Day 4: The Woods (2006)
    Day 5: The Haunting (1963)
    Day 6: Theatre Of Blood (1973)
    Day 7: The Night Of The Seagulls (1975)
    Day 8: The Wishmaster (1997)
    Day 9: Wes Craven's New Nightmare (1994)
    Day 10: City Of The Living Dead (1980)
    Day 11: Death Ship (1980)
    Day 12: Wrong Turn 2: Dead End (2007)
    Day 13: Friday The 13th Pt VII: The New Blood (1988)
    Day 14: Re-Animator (1985)
    Day 15: Dracula (1931)
    Day 16: American Mary (2012)
    Day 17: The Invisible Man (1933)
    Day 18: Crimson (1973)
    Day 19: The Black Cat (1981)
    Day 20: The Revenge Of fFrankenstein (1958)
    Day 21: Outpost (2008)
    Day 22: The Toolbox Murders (2003)
    Day 23: Vault Of Horror (1973)
    Day 24: Burning Bright (2010)
    Day 25: Baron Blood (1972)
    Day 26: Hatchet 2 (2010)
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 7,653
    Tatort: Blackout
    Tonight's TV movie was a sort of celebration and 25th anniversary of Kommisar Lena Odenthal from Ludwighaven. Can you imagine one actor sticking 25 years with one character?
    She is still fascinating to watch.
    The Ring Two (2005)
    Directed by Hideo Nakata

Ring+Two+cap.jpg

The Ring had been a tremendously successful film and so naturally a sequel was made. It never ceases to surprise me that they got the Japanese director of Ringu and Ringu 2, Hideo Nakata, to direct that sequel. Naomi Watts and David Dorfman return from The Ring; Simon Baker and Sissy Spacek are newcomers to the series.

Samara, the creepy girl from The Ring, is back and she wants a mommy. Water is used as the preferred medium for communication between the spirit world of the dark well and the real world, much like in Ringu 2. So water behaving mysteriously will be a heavily relied on symbol in this film.

But is that scary? No. A well lit room with a bath full of water that defies gravity doesn't make us jump. Water isn't scary, period. And neither is this film. Maybe on two or three occasions is some tension built, but they quickly pull back when the real horror is about to come.

Whatever expectations you may have based on the Verbinski film, you might as well throw them away. The Ring Two never goes there. It's almost like this film doesn't dare to be as scary as The Ring. And since the story isn't particularly exciting anyway, this is to me a weaker film than The Ring and both Ringus.

The Ring (2002): 4.5/5
    Ringu (1998): 4.5/5
    Ringu 2 (1999): 3.5/5
    The Ring Two (2005): 3/5

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2014 Posts: 13,904
    See No Evil 2 (2014)

see-no-evil-3.jpg

Being directed by The Soska Sisters, I had such high hopes for this film. It pains me to say that it turned out as unremarkable as the first film.
    SNE2 pick up where the first left off, in the aftermath of his killing spree, the body of Jacob Godnight is sent off the the Morgue. From there, it's a rehash of the first, with a Morgue in place of the tower block, and Danielle Harris & Katharine Isabelle amongst the group this time being hunted by Goodnight. *sighs* There's time for the sisters to redeem themselves with Vendetta (their action/revenge thriller) and Painkiller Jane (their comic book movie). I might have to re-watch American Mary to take away the taste of disappointment I have in my mouth.

31 Days Of Horror:
    Day 27: See No Evil 2 (2014)
    OK, I did it! I actually went and saw

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

TMNT-2014-660.jpg

Cowabunga, dudes! This stuff isn't even half (a shell) bad, even if it's bay-sically the pizza version of Transformers. Okay, enough with the puns, for who gives a rat's a$$? Why, Splinter of course! He's here, and so are Leo, Mikey, Donnie and Raph. Don't forget April - even in October - who is this time played by foxy Megan Fox, one of Bay's 'stars' from the early days of Transformers. Have they kissed and made up now? I mean, after the Transformers 2 media quarrels between Megan and Bay / Spielberg, who would have thought they might work together again one day? Is the animosity shredded to pieces? It must be, for Megan teams up with four Teenage Mutant CGI Turtles against the evil Shredder. Now Shredder is the real bay-con of light here: he's going totally robo in this film, photographed by the same guy who shot this year's Robocop.

I said "enough with the puns"; well, I wish someone would have told Michael Bay that enough is enough already. This remake is littered with bad puns, it ovulates CGI and it adds nothing new to the game. But, given an ounce of goodwill, there's also a lot here to enjoy. Yeah, it helps to bring a friend and decide to go with the flow; it also helps to get stoned on caffeine and to think back to when you were ten years old and watched the animated TMNT on TV. I did more than that; in preparation for this film, I watched all the 'old' Turtles movies again. Let's face it: it's junk. Whatever depth they try to give the characters of Raphael and Donatello for example, isn't enough to keep the brains going. But you know, mindless entertainment can be good from time to time.

On any other day, I would have vomited over this film. But not today. Today, I had a lot of fun, naive and brains-after-total-meltdown fun, but fun nonetheless. So, if you want to remember what it was like to be a kid and think about the world in the simplest of terms, watch Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. It really isn't all that bad! The film may take place in a sewer, but it doesn't belong there. It belongs in a pizza box: too many calories but smell it and you'll want to eat it badly.
    Bound (1996)

main-qimg-b43ef168980330ba1b0e18f3baa4454d?convert_to_webp=true

When Larry and Andy Wachowski were still just 'the Wachowski Brothers', they wrote and directed their first film, Bound, for a budget of only 6 million dollars. This is the only film they made before their big sci-fi hit 'The Matrix'. And what a debut it is!

Bound tells the story of lesbian ex-con Corky, who gets seduced by femme fatale Violet into stealing from Violet's money laundering mobster boyfriend Caesar. As the brilliantly constructed plan is executed, unexpected events force the women - and Caesar - to be extremely creative.

Joe Pantoliano was cast as Caesar, his first leading part ever. He's great as usual. Gina Gershon is adequately cast as Corky. I've never been too big a fan of Gina. When I see her, she's that "other Eva Mendes", and every time I see Eva Mendes, she's that "other Gina Gershon". To her credit, she knew what movie she was in when she did Showgirls. ;-) But she's not my taste. Still, she works well in Bound. The real jewel, however, is Jennifer Tilly as Violet. With her spicy outfit and incredibly seductive acting, she oozes sex. And then there's that baby voice... :x Also, in Bound Jennifer demonstrates that not only women of 25 or younger can play sexy.

Bound is clever, intriguing, well acted and well filmed. I'm not surprised that the Wachowskis got 63 million dollars for their next film: The Matrix. Their talent is made obvious with Bound. How often do filmmakers nail it with their first film? Well, I love Bound. If I weren't such a big sci-fi geek, I'd call it my favourite Wachowski movie. Watch this crime thriller! You won't regret it.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    This is the End (2013) Pretty cool movie, but some pace problems here and there.
    Lone Survivor (2013) Great film, really liked it.
    47 Ronin (2013) I may be the only one but I thought this film was very cool!
    Open Range (2003) 10/10
    Mr Brooks (2007) Cool to see Costner play a character like this.
    The Raid 2 (2014) Best action movie I've seen in years, even better than the 1st outing.
    Noah (2014)
    Need for Speed (2014)
    Pompeii (2014)
    The Monuments Men (2014)
    Divergent (2014)
    Captain America : The Winter Soldier (2014) Wow, just wow. One of the best movies I have ever seen!
    @DaltonCraig007

47 Ronin was okay in my book too. Not great. But good enough.

I didn't like Divergent. It's quite obvious they went for another Hunger Games, only Divergent is so generic and low-IQ, I wanted to run away from the theatre after about 20 minutes.

Cap 2 is indeed a great movie. Of all movies with the Avengers label, this may be my second favourite after Avengers itself.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Yeah @DarthDimi, Divergent was a let-down. I much prefer Hunger Games.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 6,432
    Interesting been in two minds about purchasing 47 Ronin for some time, on your recommendations will buy it on Bluray :)
    Leprechaun (1993)

Leprechaun.jpg

1993. The horror genre is terribly unproductive. Some sequels in well-established slasher series and a minor few experimental horror films are all we get. And then there's the horror comedy subgenre. After Gremlins and Critters and Troll, why not set loose a killer leprechaun? Great idea, or just another speck of dirt on the bottom of the garbage pail?

Warwick Davis of Star Wars fame has the unenviable task of playing a sadistic leprechaun, ready to kill anyone who stands between him and his precious gold. Doing an Irish accent and spitting out terrible lines with some amusement, Warwick at least gets the joke. He knows what film he's in, even when unironically driving a tricycle past a police car.

Enter Jennifer Aniston. Pre-Friends and pre-nose job, young Jennifer must not have been too selective in her film roles. Well, at least we get her cuteness in Leprechaun, if nothing else. Ken Olandt, whom some of us remember from a cool TV show for young boys, Superforce, teams up with her. Almost everybody else in the cast is incompetent or worse.

It's difficult enough to sit through a film about a deadly leprechaun with a straight face. It's even more difficult to enjoy a horror comedy that's neither scary nor particularly funny. In fact, it's disturbing how uneven this film is. The story goes nowhere, the lep isn't menacing or in the least impressive, the action is dull and the characters range from boring to totally despicable. To think that Leprechaun spawned several sequels! Why? It hardly made 9 million dollars, which in all fairness is still nine times its budget, and it was critically slaughtered. At least I know that better material is coming. I do not like this first Leprechaun. Usually, the first in a series is also the best but in lep's case I'm willing to say it's actually one of the weakest.

Leprechaun (1993): 2/5
    Oh my gosh my father loves that film - Leprechaun!!!! It gets very boring and repetitive quickly; sometimes it's so bad it's funny, but if they were trying for real horror, they failed tremendously. It's simply a rotten film, and the sequels are even worse IMO...
    I watched Leprechaun a few days ago, and I don't think it's that bad... it's better than the sequels.
    As for Aniston, she can always say that at least she wasn't in Leprechaun: Origins. ;)

Bringing my Shocktober celebration to a close is...

da10503a338f1e25aa8f335c2e86f9fd.jpg

I like this one, a little bit more than it's predecessor. Loomis' speech about Samhain, pushes this out in front.

31 Days Of Horror:
    Day 27: See No Evil 2 (2014)
    Day 28: Leprechaun (1993)
    Day 29: Curse Of Chucky (2013)
    Day 30: I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997)
    Day 31: Halloween II (1981)
    edited October 2014 Posts: 17,695
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Enter Jennifer Aniston. Pre-Friends and pre-nose job
    I actually saw this back when it came out and I remember thinking the girl in it was SO hot...
    Her nose job killed that for me.

b-(
    @MajorDSmythe, nice collection of films for October, my good friend. :-)

@chrisisall, yes, she was cute back then. But film and TV business is harsh. Someone apparently told her that without a nose job, she wouldn't get any good work. Ugh!
    Jurassic Park Blu Ray, pure popcorn cinematic perfection.
  • Captain America Winter Soldier again, just bought a new TV had to see how it looked, love this film seems to get better with each viewing. I'll say it, this is truly a great movie, almost faultless love this film.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Jurassic Park Blu Ray, pure popcorn cinematic perfection.
    Been thinking about buying the trilogy box set, having purchased King Kong recently,and being impressed certainly by the T Rex sequence curios how the Jurassic films look on HD.

Captain America Winter Soldier
    I need this on BR!
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    Captain America Winter Soldier
    I need this on BR!
    A must buy, brilliant film. Its bubbling under Superman the movie for me, simply because of the relevance and emotional aspects of the movie. This film for me has made Cap the most important character of the current Marvel films.
    This film for me has made Cap the most important character of the current Marvel films.

More than Stark or Banner?