SPECTRE: So who's going to play Ernst?

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    A bit obvious and sounds almost a remake of TB but I suppose I could live with it.

Maybe have to rejig the PTS a little though - call me unimaginative and a pathetic fanboy but now we have to wait 3 years a film I'm not sure I can tolerate a PTS sans Bond.

Especially given we have been starved of the classic GB-action laden PTS-title sequence formula since 2002.

Its childish I know but just give me the GB and a massive TSWLM/GE stunt and I will be happy right from the off. After that you can get into the character introspection and reintroduction of Quantum if you want.

• AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited September 2014 Posts: 1,727
    Matt Lucas (of Little Britain fame...)

d01_1700_matt_445.jpg :D
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 1,548
    I'm sure people have mentioned this before but I wouldn't mind if Mr Whiteturns out to be an alias for ESB. I'd love to see Jesper Christensen return to the part.
  • RC7RC7
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    I'm sure people have mentioned this before but I wouldn't mind if Mr Whiteturns out to be an alias for ESB. I'd love to see Jesper Christensen return to the part.

I can't see past this being one of the most underwhelming things to happen in a Bond movie.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    They could change Tracy for Vesper, if Blofeld was the head of, or a member of, Quantum. That would be enough to give Bond a motivation to go after him. In the novels, even the vengeance of Tracy's death is done by pure chance (or destiny).

He's going after Mr. White though.

It does not matter, if Blofeld is a member of Quantum he was at least by association guilty of pushing her to the edge. If Blofeld is the leader of Quantum (I don't think White is Blofeld, by the way), then ultimately the guilt is on him.
    RC7 wrote: »

I can't see past this being one of the most underwhelming things to happen in a Bond movie.

Agreed. If that actually turned out to be the case, it would be extremely underwhelming.

I think that Mr. White is best left as this mysterious figure that manages to mostly operate behind the scenes and nobody is able to figure out exactly what his role or position is within the organization.

AceHole wrote: »

As much as he makes me laugh? Errr no!
  • RogueAgent wrote: »

He'd be the only gay in the mountain village! ;-)
    RogueAgent wrote: »

He'd be the only gay in the mountain village! ;-)

=)) I can always rely on you Willy!
    dalton wrote: »

Agreed. If that actually turned out to be the case, it would be extremely underwhelming.

I think that Mr. White is best left as this mysterious figure that manages to mostly operate behind the scenes and nobody is able to figure out exactly what his role or position is within the organization.

Anyway, if Blofeld used an alias with a colour theme, the colour would be blue, not white. Signor Azzurro, or Monsieur de Bleuville, or something of the sort.
  • Clive Russell. Brian Cox?

Are they good, well-established actors @Whitaker1987?
  • RC7RC7
    Clive Russell. Brian Cox?

You've never heard of Brian Cox?
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 4,622
    I think Blofeld works quite well as ongoing recurring foil for Bond, the one supervillain Bond can't quite vanquish. The Fleming arc was ultimately resolved, but the movie history took a different tack, going right back to Blofelds obession with Bond in FRWL.
    The Tracy history post OHMSS does change things for Bond, as now the task of vanquishing the villian is more personal, but still its a chore that pre-dates Piz Gloria. Post OHMSS is a new phase in Bond's quest to rid the world of Blofeld.
    The relationship from day one, has obessed Blofeld, since 007 took down his operative Dr. No.
    The Lektor, Tatiana-Grant-Klebb affair was predicated on taking down and humiliating Bond.
    But by DAF (several failed schemes later) Blofeld seems positively giddy about their history. Bond though could care less. He simply wants to blow the bastard away,as he always has, both pre-and-post Tracy, but Ernst from adventure to adventure, comes to increasingly revel in Bond as worthy adversary.
    In DAF, we find Blofeld, both early in the film and mid-film, savouring their encounters, both forced by Bond, even as Blofeld deals with the danger Bond represents.
    Their history, as destrutive as its been for him, fascinates Blofeld, much as Bond's reslience seemed to intrigue Dr No, until he dismissed him as a stupid policeman, but Blofeld knows better, if only because of experience.
    Savalas-Blofeld held Bond in high regard. He makes at least two flattering references towards Bond in OHMSS, even as he strove to end him.
    YOLT-Blofeld was well aware of Bond as persistent and deadly nemesis too.
    This, I think is part of the Blofeld "charm." As much as Blofeld wants to destroy Bond, he can't help but grudgingly recognize Bond as a man capable of recognizing his criminal brilliance. Bond appeals to his criminal vanity, even if the "love" is not returned, ie Bond, the blunt instrument, does not share the "affection." He exists to destroy the madman.
    This Bond-Blofeld dynamic, I think is what engages viewers. As external observers, we can grasp both perspectives, even as we root for Bond, because like Blofeld, we are also in awe of Bond. We like that Blofeld tips his cap to our 007, which is why many of us, would like to see Ernst remain a part of the Bond universe, as much as that might frustrate poor Bond.
    Eon I think understood this. They never had any serious plans to eliminate Ernst. But McClory took away their option, spoiled the fun, so to spite McClory, they dumped poor Ernst down a smokestack. Fun while it lasted.

Ten, fifteen years ago he would have been fine, now I think he is a bit too old. He does look like TBs Blofeld? Is it me or many actors mentioned for Blofeld were also mentioned at some point for M? Interesting, as if Blofeld was the polar opposite of M, not Bond.
    timmer wrote: »
    I think Blofeld works quite well as ongoing recurring foil for Bond, the one supervillain Bond can't quite vanquish. The Fleming arc was ultimately resolved, but the movie history took a different tack, going right back to Blofelds obession with Bond in FRWL.
    The Tracy history post OHMSS does change things for Bond, as now the task of vanquishing the villian is more personal, but still its a chore that pre-dates Piz Gloria. Post OHMSS is a new phase in Bond's quest to rid the world of Blofeld.
    The relationship from day one, has obessed Blofeld, since 007 took down his operative Dr. No.
    The Lektor, Tatiana-Grant-Klebb affair was predicated on taking down and humiliating Bond.
    But by DAF (several failed schemes later) Blofeld seems positively giddy about their history. Bond though could care less. He simply wants to blow the bastard away,as he always has, both pre-and-post Tracy, but Ernst from adventure to adventure, comes to increasingly revel in Bond as worthy adversary.
    In DAF, we find Blofeld, both early in the film and mid-film, savouring their encounters, both forced by Bond, even as Blofeld deals with the danger Bond represents.
    Their history, as destrutive as its been for him, fascinates Blofeld, much as Bond's reslience seemed to intrigue Dr No, until he dismissed him as a stupid policeman, but Blofeld knows better, if only because of experience.
    Savalas-Blofeld held Bond in high regard. He makes at least two flattering references towards Bond in OHMSS, even as he strove to end him.
    This, I think is part of the Blofeld "charm." As much as Blofeld wants to destroy Bond, he can't help but grudgingly recognize Bond as a man capable of recognizing his criminal brilliance. Bond appeals to his criminal vanity, even if the "love" is not returned, ie Bond, the blunt instrument, does not share the "affection." He exists to destroy the madman.
    This Bond-Blofeld dynamic, I think is what engages viewers. As external observers, we can grasp both perspectives, even as we root for Bond, because like Blofeld, we are also in awe of Bond. We like that Blofeld tips his cap to our 007, which is why many of us, would like to see Ernst remain a part of the Bond universe, as much as that might frustrate poor Bond.
    Eon I think understood this. They never had any serious plans to eliminate Ernst. But McClory took away their option, spoiled the fun, so to spite McClory, they dumped poor Ernst down a smokestack. Fun while it lasted.

Excellent analysis. And this is why the character of Blofeld has very much a future in Bond movies.
  • RC7RC7

Ten, fifteen years ago he would have been fine, now I think he is a bit too old. He does look like TBs Blofeld? Is it me or many actors mentioned for Blofeld were also mentioned at some point for M? Interesting, as if Blofeld was the polar opposite of M, not Bond.

I'm not suggesting he should be Blofeld, just curious that @Gustav_Graves hasn't heard of him.
  • RC7 wrote: »

I'm not suggesting he should be Blofeld, just curious that @Gustav_Graves hasn't heard of him.

By name, the actor's name didn't ring a bell by me. But upon checking his name, I know he had marvellous roles in the Bourne franchise. He was good in "Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes" too. And he did some voice work for "Her" as well.

Good actor. Once you see him, you know who he is. Once you see him act, you know he's an established actor.

Though usually he's never cast in leading roles. Certain similarly aged actors and even older actors (Michael Caine) get more leading roles. I don't know if he's the right man to play Blofeld.

I think I've mentioned a couple of times before who I'd like to see in a leading role that Blofeld could be:
    --> Daniel Day-Lewis (3 Oscar wins, 2 Golden Globe wins)
    --> Christoph Waltz (2 Oscar wins, 2 Golden Globe wins)

But also good contenders:
    --> John Malkovich (2 Oscar nominations, 3 Golden Globe nominations)
    --> William Dafoe (2 Oscar nominations, 1 Golden Globe nomination)
    --> Chiwetel Ejiofor (1 Oscar nomination, 3 Golden Globe nominations)
    --> Michael Shannon (1 Oscar nomination)
    --> Michael Fassbender (1 Oscar nomination, 2 Golden Globe nominations)

It needs to be an actor that has enough charisma and screen presence to actually equal Bond's charisma and screen presence. Perhaps a slightly bit more, like Silva in SF. The above actors have that. Lately, I'm also getting slightly more used to Ejifor's name, allthough it's not my top favourite.

But Brian Cox? I think, for me, he hasn't got the "X-factor" to do a big lead role. But that's my opinion off course :-).

• echoecho 007 in New York
    timmer wrote: »

I agree with your analysis. The Blofeld of FRWL-TB-OHMSS is menacing (particularly the "snobbery" of OHMSS--I think Savalas was an underrated actor).

But I also think that Eon dropped the Blofeld ball with YOLT. He's just not a very well-developed character in that film, and his antipathy toward Bond is vague at best. By DAF the series had devolved into camp and there was no hope.

It's clear, I think, that Eon intended to leave Blofeld's fate ambiguous at the end of DAF and strove to bring him back in TSWLM in a more serious incarnation (the casting of Jurgens was actually perfect--and you can see how his webbed hands could have been TSWLM's version of the earlobes).
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 4,622
    Sure,Stromberg could have been cast as an older Blofeld, as Moore was playing an older Bond.
    The dialogue would have had to have been rejigged to reflect their history, but that could have been easily managed. Blofeld wanting to live under the sea, could have been worked as well, as even Fleming's Blofeld was ultimately cast as mad, living in a castle.
    Who knows what lunacy might possess him from scheme to scheme.
    Blofeld is not the only villain that has come to see Bond as worthy adversary, but he's unique in that he has a history which can be evolved over various films. I think as an audience we enjoy the grudging admiration that he bestows upon Bond, even as he is trying to kill him. And I think we also like that Bond wants none of it. Blunt instrument just wants to put him down, which is as it should be. We are only going to get this dynamic with a recurring type villain, and Blofeld is the perfect foil in that regard, as the character is firmly rooted in Fleming, and as a recurring villain, even if Fleming did tie it all up with a bow by end of YOLT.

As I've said elsewhere, I would love to see a toned down, smaller budget HBO series of the entire Fleming collection, filmed in order of publication and rigidly true to the original stories- only exception being to update and adjust the settings to the current time, as I think period pieces might be compared to the original '60s films.
    Then we could see Fleming's Bond-Blofeld relationship played out as it was in the books, with the final showdown at the castle.
    Eon could continue with the big budget blockbusters that we are used to. Considering that Eon is only making films every three years, if we are lucky, Blofeld and Spectre wouldn't get much play anyway, unless Spectre could be cast as permanent world threat much the way the Uncle agents were always battling Thrush.
    Various subvillains could play lead roles, with Blofeld often only in the background as he was in FRWL and TB, with only occasional face-to-faces with Bond.
    Even a DN Spectre approach could work when needed, with Blofeld completely out of the picture, and the subvillian being virtually autonomous.
    I am just playing with ideas here to keep Blofeld involved in the series as permanent nemesis without him taking over.
    The idea that Blofeld can be continually recast and re-envisioned I think has appeal as well, although in the HBO series I was talking about, I'd like to see effort to work with what Fleming gave us.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain

FYI I was, of course, not being serious :D

FYI I was, of course, not being serious :D

Noooooooooooo!!!!!!! :(( ;)
    Cox is too old, but Ejiofor is too young, too handsome and too not like the source material's Blofeld to be Blofeld.

Let's not forget that Blofeld is an Eastern European with some Greek blood, who claims to be of French aristocratic descent. He is an experienced criminal who in spite of his ruthlessness managed to keep himself clean, mostly, until the events of TB. Casting him should reflect the appearance(s) of the Blofeld of the novels and his background too.
  • the only other actor i keep saying about is Gareth Marks.

He is a British actor but not seen much these days. Marks has the classic look of a Blofeld type foe but when he appeared as villain Jean Daniel in BBC BUGS I think his character was based from Blofeld.

What about Mark Strong? he has been cast as many baddie roles over the years but could he be a Bond villain contender?
    My issue with Gareth Marks (and Mark Strong actually) is that they are bald/balding and I hope they keep Blofeld as different as possible from the spoofed version.

My other issue with them, and other actors brought forward (including some of my own suggestions) is that they are British. I prefer British actors in general and I come up with British actors for villains naturally, just like the rest of you, but for Bond villains in general and Blofeld in particular I think a foreign actor would suit the character's background better. Someone from Northern or Eastern Europe, with a foreign but not quite identifiable accent. Then again I don't know many of them, so I end up suggesting British actors.
  • Campbell2Campbell2 Epsilon Rho Rho house, Bending State University
    Strong, hands down Strong. Yes, there could possibly be some better ones, Ciaran Hinds for example. But they could also do much, much worse. I'd opt for Strong if this was up to me.
    Hinds would work very well as not only is he very close physically to the TB Blofeld, but like Blofeld he is mixed blood. But he may be getting old now. He is another one I would have been enthusiastic about if he'd been cast say ten years ago.
    Hinds would work very well as not only is he very close physically to the TB Blofeld, but like Blofeld he is mixed blood. But he may be getting old now. He is another one I would have been enthusiastic about if he'd been cast say ten years ago.

Personally, I think the main villain from Bond 24 -if it is either Chiwetel Ejiofor or Mark Strong- will not play Blofeld. Just like it was done in FRWL and TB. In TB Largo was the main Bond villain, but Blofeld was pulling the strings behind every ambitious plan. If they introduce Blofeld it will be done slowly and carefully, perhaps with only one faceless cameo in one of the very last scenes of the movie.

Personally, I think the main villain from Bond 24 -if it is either Chiwetel Ejiofor or Mark Strong- will not play Blofeld. Just like it was done in FRWL and TB. In TB Largo was the main Bond villain, but Blofeld was pulling the strings behind every ambitious plan. If they introduce Blofeld it will be done slowly and carefully, perhaps with only one faceless cameo in one of the very last scenes of the movie.

I think so too. I find it more likely that it is Ejiofor, even though I am less enthusiastic about him. But I guess he could play a black Largo-type character or a black Grant-type character (the latter would be good, because then we wouldn't have another Aryan looking Grant clone).

And if it is the case, then Blofeld could be played by friend of Sam Mendes... Simon Russell Beale. Although he may be a bit short.
  • EmilioEmilio Palmyra, Nassau
    I agree, we also know that B24 and B25 will be connected, so just a hint in the first and main villain in the second.

Emilio wrote: »
    I agree, we also know that B24 and B25 will be connected, so just a hint in the first and main villain in the second.

Hehe, it isn't even sure if this will happen for Bond 24/25: The return of Blofeld :-P. Allthough I would welcome this iconic Fleming character.