The TIMOTHY DALTON Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I've seen the first two episodes and it's great. Gruesome but great. Dalton is in great shape, as well as the rest of the cast.
    /\ It is certainly on my must see list! It is just when to fit it in! Life keeps getting in the way! :))
    It is VERY good AND very gruesome...i watch it as a double-bill with 'Hannibal'....i'm a sick puppy he he .
    Penny Dreadful has been renewed for a second series.
    The Showtime network's horror-drama series PENNY DREADFUL has been renewed for a second season.

There... I've fixed it for American forum members such as yours truly. ;)

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Great to see footage from the time of Licence To Kill. Thanks.
    I've seen "THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS" at the movie theaters more times than any other Bond film - eight times.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    DRush76 wrote:
    I've seen "THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS" at the movie theaters more times than any other Bond film - eight times.

In that case, I think you should win the Dalton award. =D>
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 11,425
    Respect. And the Dalton haters tell us no one liked him at the time!

Watched Everything or Nothing the other day. They made a lot out of Brosnan missing out on the role in 87 but never mentioned that EON had been thinking of Dalton as a replacement since the 60s. I thought Dalton was a bit short changed in the documentary. Mind you, it might have helped his case if he'd got a haircut and didn't look like a lunatic in the interviews.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Getafix wrote:

Watched Everything or Nothing the other day. They made a lot out of Brosnan missing out on the role in 87 but never mentioned that EON had been thinking of Dalton as a replacement since the 60s. I thought Dalton was a bit short changed in the documentary. Mind you, it might have helped his case if he'd got a haircut and didn't look like a lunatic in the interviews.

He went a bit over-the-top in that interview I thought:

"Here was a hero who MURDERED in COLD BLOOD...bam, bam, bam, bam, bam"

Would have been nice to have seen a more straight forward interview in which he wasn't acting.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

He went a bit over-the-top in that interview I thought:

"Here was a hero who MURDERED in COLD BLOOD...bam, bam, bam, bam, bam"

Would have been nice to have seen a more straight forward interview in which he wasn't acting.

Yes - he was very OTT. I did think he had interesting stuff to say though. It's just that he hammed it up.

As usual I liked how Brozza came across, especially when he cracked up about the kite surfing! Hilarious. Still, doesn't change the fact that he was rubbish!
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 11,189
    I thought Dalts started off ok when he talked about the films becoming pastiches and losing depth and texture, but he went into theatre mode again afterwards.

Brosnan was very funny in that interview even if he didn't really say a lot of new stuff:

"This is top secret, you can't tell anyone"
    "I won't tell anyone (mouths "I'm James Bond")

His laughing at the windsurfing sequence makes that scene itself more enjoyable as it always reminds me of the interview. At least he knows its crap too.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I thought Dalts started off ok when he talked about the films becoming pastiches and losing depth and texture, but he went into theatre mode again afterwards.

Brosnan was very funny in that interview even if he didn't really say a lot of new stuff:

"This is top secret, you can't tell anyone"
    "I won't tell anyone (mouths "I'm James Bond")

His laughing at the windsurfing sequence makes that scene itself more enjoyable as it always reminds me of the interview. At least he knows its crap too.

They must have all been wondering what the hell was going on. Although as he is CGI'd as well, may be he didn't even see the scene until the premier (assuming he stayed to watch it).
    Watched some of The Rocketeer the other evening on Sky. Dalton was probably the most enjoyable aspect about it. That sort of role fits him perfectly.

Love his evil pantomime laugh at 0.23

(Spoilers)

Paul Rudd seems to have a thing about the Daltonator:

And there is an episode of Parks and Recreation when he plays a rich playboy running for political office. He's asked (you assume) who his favourite Bond is, and first he says Daniel Craig. The he says, 'scrub that, Timothy Dalton'. Very amusing.
  • 007InVT007InVT Classified
    edited August 2014 Posts: 893
    Is this link old news?

It's very funny and possibly quite right: BlogalongaBond / Licence To Kill:
    The Best James Bond Film Ever Made

http://theincrediblesuit.blogspot.com/2012/04/blogalongabond-licence-to-kill-best.html
    T-Daltz takes his ice-cold BastardBond from The Living Daylights and cranks the bastardry up a notch, while simultaneously giving us the most believable portrayal of 007 ever seen on screen. It’s one thing to be a ruthless revenge machine but it only works if you believe the motivation, and Dalton effortlessly manages both. I don’t think it’s any exaggeration to suggest that the fact that he only made two Bond films is probably the greatest tragedy mankind has ever suffered.
    While a literal adaptation of any of the books remains as likely a prospect as Justin Bieber playing Bond, Licence To Kill contains the most faithful screen version of the complex character that curses, calculates and kills his way through the pages of Fleming's novels and short stories.

A more academic study here too: http://n007.thegoldeneye.com/ltk-review.html
    Just rewatched LTK for the first time in years and thoroughly enjoyed. Makes me think even more what a shame it was that he didn't get to do a third. I still think TLD is overall more enjoyable, but LTK has a great story and script. Makes me think it is a shame that MGW stepped back from screenwriting.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I personally find LTK that little better purely for the villains and better pacing.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 11,425
    I need to rewatch TLD in light of my LTK refresher.

Either way, I'm only more convinced than ever of how much better Dalton was than Brosnan. My gut instinct on watching GE in '95 and thinking 'who is this pitiful dweeb hanging from a toilet ceiling?' has only become more entrenched as time goes by.

Sean Connery still rules supreme, and Rog perhaps has the edge in terms of sheer entertainment value, but Dalton was damn good.
    Uh oh that record has got stuck again ;)
    If you came here to appreciate the Brozza, you're about to get Daltonated. :)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Dalton ruled, but I like Broz too. His was a Steeley Bond!
    Dalton was cool and I've liked him more as I've got older, but Brosnan I grew up with.
  • Just watched LTK again, what a cracking film it is.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Its still a mid ranking film for me. It used to be one of my favourites but against quite a few of the other films it falls short. I've realised this more in the last three years or so. Lots of strong elements (Davi, some of the action and most of Dalton's performance) but there are things that drag it down too (the somewhat generic first half, some bad performances from a few supporting actors, occasionally poor dialogue and lacklustre production values).

"DELLAHHH"

Overall a solid film, just a little overrated by the hardcore fans.
  • I think LTK has one of the greatest conceits of any Bond film to date. A villain so bad, so untouchable that Bond has to go rogue to target him. A film is only as good as it's baddie and LTK has a cracker in Sanchez and Davi's performance is excellent. I always see the film as more of a two-hander between him and Dalton. In fact, it's arguable that considering Bond's intentions throughout the film he may in fact be the 'villain' of the piece.

It's a great film and a very brave move by EON to tinker so heavily with the formula. It might not be a 'Bond film' in the traditional sense but it's still a great movie.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 7,500
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Its still a mid ranking film for me. It used to be one of my favourites but against quite a few of the other films it falls short. I've realised this more in the last three years or so. Lots of strong elements (Davi, some of the action and most of Dalton's performance) but there are things that drag it down too (the somewhat generic first half, some bad performances from a few supporting actors, occasionally poor dialogue and lacklustre production values).

"DELLAHHH"

Overall a solid film, just a little overrated by the hardcore fans.

Hey! Watch your mouth, dude! :) :P

But seriously though: "Generic first half"? On the contrary I'd say it has the most unique first half in the series. Both in terms of plot, tone and action...

I agree regarding the inconsistency of the supporting cast and production value though.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Well, this is an appreciation thread and I have no problem appreciating the heck out of Timothy Dalton. LTK is not one of my favorites by any means (as I've detailed in reviews on other threads) but at least he was not the problem in that film.

So, staying on the positive about Dalton (which is easy for me), I want to rave about The Living Daylights. What a fun, splendid, wonderfully held together film with a genuine romance at its heart that is given time to build (unusual for a Bond film). And one of the best intros as Bond. And a memorable cargo plane fight, too.

And I'll also say that I'm happy he is in Penny Dreadful because it does seem to be a hit. He is fine in it (and Eva is amazing) but overall the series is not very good, full of badly written scripts (ah, Logan!), stupid at times, and not my cup of tea. But Timothy brings class to it, every time.

He is a fine actor, and one who has gone his own way during his career. I will always be a Timothy Dalton fan. ;;)
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 11,189
    I must admit when I watched it as part of a double bill with OHMSS a few years ago parts of the first half DID seem a bit generic:

-evil drug dealer shown in prison cell being interrogated by DEA agents in a cheesy way (good-cop/bad cop)
    -Exposition dialogue explaining how bad Sanchez is that sounds like it came out of an 80s cop show.
    -dialogue about "how we have laws in this country too"
    -dialogue about how the hero must "let it go" (when obviously he won't)
    -the bar fight

There are some good moments in the first half (Dalton's reaction is great when Della throws him that whats-it-called) but the second half overall is the stronger IMO.

...and I say these points as someone who used to have it in their top 5. It oddly doesn't really have enough of that Bond "feel"...at least when you put it up against other entries.

Dalton is an actor who I respect but I know he's gone on record and voiced his own concerns about LTK.
  • So what do we reckon guys? Since he's been making a bit of a comeback recently, how about Dalton returning for Bond 26?
    Getafix wrote: »
    I need to rewatch TLD in light of my LTK refresher.

Either way, I'm only more convinced than ever of how much better Dalton was than Brosnan. My gut instinct on watching GE in '95 and thinking 'who is this pitiful dweeb hanging from a toilet ceiling?' has only become more entrenched as time goes by.

Sean Connery still rules supreme, and Rog perhaps has the edge in terms of sheer entertainment value, but Dalton was damn good.

See you say you don't like Brosnan but then you constantly bring him up. You were talking about Dalton and you couldn't resist having a go at Brosnan and GE.

I think you're a Brosnan fan in denial. You've tried to repress it, to hide it, tried to convince yourself and us that you hate him but you're not fooling anyone :P