The GoldenEye St.Petersburg tank chase - do you rate it ?

Comments

I think a better example of "needless spectacle" in GE was when Alec tried to kill Bond and Natalya by leaving them in the helicopter and setting it to fire missiles to blow itself up.

I think that was far far more painful. I can hear Natalyas voice in my head after all these years

It's been years since I watched AVTAK - and I can't find the PTS on Youtube.
    Bond is in some snowy place crawling with Russian soldiers. He gets a microchip from a dead body but gets spotted. He escapes some soldiers by snowboarding down a mountain to the beach boys then blows up a Russian helicopter using a flare and escapes in a luxury iceberg shaped submarine driven by a young, female, very easy MI6 agent who he then bangs. Cue theme song.
    Ahh... those were the days! ;)
    Come on, when you were sitting watching it in the cinema and Bond came crashing through the wall in the tank, did you really think "this is unfaithful to the character, he's putting lives in danger" or did you think "this is so cool!".

I didn't think the first thing while in the theater, because I was 10 and hadn't read any of the novels or seen more than 1 or 2 of the previous films. But, I also never thought that "this is so cool" when he busted through the wall either. It's always been one of the lesser moments in the film.

As far as nobody being hurt during the chase, we don't know that. Surely somebody was hurt when Bond plowed the tank through the building while chasing Orumov and Natalya down that extremely narrow alleyway.

With regards to the helicopter scene, that's far more necessary to the plot than Bond destroying St. Petersburg in a tank. Had Trevelyan's plan gone right there, the authorities would have found Bond and Natalya's bodies inside the stolen helicopter and concluded that they were behind its theft and that their deaths were due to incompetence in handling the chopper, and the investigation could have easily been closed with two scapegoats in hand that couldn't defend themselves against an inquisition.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    During the chase, Bond runs over a police car driving in front of him. There is NO way someone could survive that. Of course, it cuts to one of the men getting out and helping the other one out of the car, and Campbell/MGW stated in the commentary they did that so Bond didn't come across as a cop killer.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It's one of the best action scenes in a Bond film. It's great to see Bond on the attack rather than the defensive. Pure fun in my book and with a great background song to boot. I rate it 10/10.
    Murdock wrote: »
    It's one of the best action scenes in a Bond film. It's great to see Bond on the attack rather than the defensive. Pure fun in my book and with a great background song to boot. I rate it 10/10.

You biased GE fan. All you do is praise its perfection...

...oh, wait. *raises hand* so do I! Couldn't agree more. ;)
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »

You biased GE fan. All you do is praise its perfection...

...oh, wait. *raises hand* so do I! Couldn't agree more. ;)
    Someone has too. ;)

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Never liked it and never will unless I get a brain drip.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited July 2014 Posts: 4,312
    That tank scene is excellent. It screamed "Bond" as much as the CR PTS. There is something to Bond handling heavy-duty machinery, as the caterpillar in SF or the digger in CR, they just go fine together.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Getafix wrote: »
    Ahh... those were the days! ;)

God god that chase was weak :p Moore sleazing it up with George Best's ex at the end is pretty awful (4.00..."Oh...Commander Bond!!"")

@Dalton. I always got a bit of a buzz when Bond smashed through that wall and the Bond music comes on full blast. To be honest I still do eventhough I've read most of the books now.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 11,189
    That's a very reasonable post @Birdleson.

I've noticed that stuff like the tank chase provokes a similar reaction to the use of the original DB5 from GF in SF in that people seem to either love it or loathe it. There's little middle ground.
    @Dalton I never actually thought of the helicopter scene like that. I always just thought it was another example of a Bond villain trying to kill Bond in a stupidly elaborate way but your explanation makes a lot more sense, thanks.

@Birdleson Fair enough but I'd argue that just as some fans will refuse to admit there's anything wrong with GE (I love it but I hate the score and some of the plot holes annoy me) some fans will refuse to admit anything is good about it because they're incredibly biased against the Brosnan era and love nothing more than to slag it off no matter what, and even if you present these people with a great bit from the film, they'll say it's actually crap and come up with some ridiculous explanation why (just look at the previous page, the archive shootout is awful because Bond should never shoot Russian soldiers even though he's done that plenty of times before), because it's Brosnan.
    edited July 2014 Posts: 40,474
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I don't know, it seems that even with the criticisms, GE gets rated fairly high on almost everyone's lists. For me t seems to move between 9 and 11.
    Where as the younger fans that seem to dislike GOLDFNGER are irrational in their hatred and seem to despise every aspect of the film. It's my favorite, always has been.

I don't hate GF, I just think it's overrated and not as great as everyone makes it out to be. It's filled with iconic moments and good performances, I'll give it that, and from what I remember, I thought it was pretty good last time I watched it. It still is a good film and I do enjoy myself when I watch it. I know you're speaking in a general sense, but I hope you aren't referring to me, because I share no hatred with any of the entries in the Bond series. Even my least favorite - TMWTGG - isn't hated. It's Bond, and it's better than most of the garbage released today.

As for GE, @thelivingroyale is right: I grew up on GE. My mom bought it for me on VHS one day, and I can't tell you how many times I rewatched it. It's what I grew up with. It'll never be knocked from the number one Bond film position for me. But, while I always joke that it's "perfect," it isn't. No Bond film (or any film, for that matter) is. I can see its faults everytime I turn it on, as there are problems I have with every Bond film (and again, every film in general.)
    edited July 2014 Posts: 16,331
    For my 6,000th post. Let me tell you a story. ;)

I share the same opinions with @Creasy47. I don't hate Goldfinger either. In like it to a certain degree. But it is heavily overrated. Always getting called Best Bond film in official polls and publications. I always preferred FRWL and TB over GF. As for GoldenEye. I know it's flawed, but it's still a wonderful film. It was my introduction to Bond films. (Since I played the video game first.) My late father and I would watch it all the time as it was both our favorite. My extreme love of GoldenEye comes from not only the film itself but the good memories I've had attached to it.
    Welcome to the 6000 club @Murdock. <:-P :-bd
    Thanks! @WillyGalore. :D
    @Murdock, and those memories are exactly why it won't be toppled. I don't care how good B24 (or any of them in the future) ends up being, nothing can beat the nostalgia of me sitting in front of the TV with bated breath as Bond drove a tank around St. Petersburg, or bungee jumped off a dam, or blasted bad guys in Russian archives. That'll always hold a place close to my heart. It might make me biased, but not blind, as I recognize that a good portion of Connery's Bond films were the 'great/iconic' Bond films. Is Pierce my favorite Bond? Absolutely. Is Pierce the best Bond? Absolutely not. There's a difference. These things don't go hand-in-hand.

So to me, GE will always be my favorite, because I loved it from the start and grew up with it, just like GF will always be your favorite, @Birdleson, because you loved it from the start and grew up with it. It's the same thing.
    That's what I was saying.

What I got from your few comments is that younger fans who grew up with GE see it as a flawless, perfect film, and those same fans have no reasoning behind their hatred for GF, so I wanted to reiterate that those points were not true about me. I can't speak for everyone.
    For me GE is #7 ATM. Have always loved it and had an admittedly nostalgic fondness for it as it was the first film I too saw. However there are a handful of films I'd now put above it (including GF at #5).

Nonetheless GE has always been a thoroughly enjoyable watch and has by far been the Bond flick ive seen most over the years. I've literally got the t-shirt.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The tank chase is a great piece of action. Nothing more, nothing less.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    I don't know, it seems that even with the criticisms, GE gets rated fairly high on almost everyone's lists. For me t seems to move between 9 and 11.
    Where as the younger fans that seem to dislike GOLDFNGER are irrational in their hatred and seem to despise every aspect of the film. It's my favorite, always has been.

GoldenEye has always seemed more like The Spy Who Loved Me, in that regard. For older fans, TSWLM is the quintessentially fun Bond movie that swooped to the rescue following a down period with dramatic stunts and chases (the Union Jack parachute and the Lotus Chase), and for younger fans, GE is that movie (dam jump, the tank chase we're currently discussing).

And the backlash against Goldfinger is more widespread than just the younger fans, and probably has its genesis in the abject failure of Die Another Day and the success of the Craig movies. Maybe if/when Craig has a bad one and the next Bond moves in a sillier direction, Goldfinger will return to its rightful place atop the series.

GoldenEye has always seemed more like The Spy Who Loved Me, in that regard. For older fans, TSWLM is the quintessentially fun Bond movie that swooped to the rescue following a down period with dramatic stunts and chases (the Union Jack parachute and the Lotus Chase), and for younger fans, GE is that movie (dam jump, the tank chase we're currently discussing).

And the backlash against Goldfinger is more widespread than just the younger fans, and probably has its genesis in the abject failure of Die Another Day and the success of the Craig movies. Maybe if/when Craig has a bad one and the next Bond moves in a sillier direction, Goldfinger will return to its rightful place atop the series.

Craig isn't going to have a weak one. Not under Mendes.

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Why did the Goldfinger fans vs. Anti-Goldfinger fans argument make its way here?
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 19,339
    I can understand the youngsters having GE as their TSWLM...thats a very clever comparison re the generations..it had OTT moments but was ultimutely serious.
    actonsteve wrote: »

You mean that Mendes responsible for the mess called SF? And they say there is no faith anymore...
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Matt_Helm wrote: »

You mean that Mendes responsible for the mess called SF? And they say there is no faith anymore...

10zr42v.gif
  • RC7RC7

He already had his weak one.