Railways almost had Bond, James Bond, as ambassador.

in Skyfall Posts: 19,339
NEW DELHI: Former railway minister Dinesh Trivedi on Monday said in LokSabha that the producers of James Bond flick 'Skyfall' had approached him to shoot a train sequence in India. However, they refused to accept his condition that they would not show passengers travelling atop the train.

Participating in the discussion on railway budget, Trivedi said aides of Daniel Craig, who played the character of James Bond, had approached him during his days in the rail ministry, seeking permission to shoot a train sequence for 'Skyfall'.

"I put three conditions: that they will not show that passengers in India travel on roofs of trains, that there will no compromise with safety during the shoot, and that James Bond would sign up as a brand ambassador for Indian Railways. As per the third condition, which was only added in jest, James Bond would be required to say that 'Indian Railways is stronger than James Bond'," he said.

While the producers accepted the second and even the third condition, they said they did not want to shoot in India if they could not show people on train rooftops. "There will be a scene where James Bond is going to fight on the roof of the train. Otherwise, why would we come to India?" they said.

Would India been a better option for the PTS and more,re Skyfall ?
Or is it best left with the excellent OP ?

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    It certainly would've been interesting to see Bond fighting Patrice on the roof while being surrounded by people- not to mention seeing a train entirely hidden by passengers in the scene where it crosses the bridge. However, I'm very satisfied with the PTS as is. I'm all for a return to India and Bond being an ambassador for Indian Railways, but you can't argue with the railway minister when he states that the overcrowded trains are a bad image for them and must not be depicted.

http://news.oneindia.in/india/proposal-to-show-crowded-indian-train-in-bond-movie-was-shot-1482901.html
    Yep,it would be one hell of a big stunt to have set up as well,especially crossing the bridge.
    But i'm sure they have filed the idea away somewhere,re the crowded train,and will go back to it for a future flick.

And as for the Indian Railway Minister,he must know that the images of overcrowded trains are everywhere,so he was probably thinking about the risk to his own job rather than the image for India as a whole !!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Here's the India thread with all that and more, from back in the day - now three years ago:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/490/india-locations-cancelled-was-india-locations-selected