'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

edited October 2022 in General Movies & TV Posts: 19,339
This series is not good at all IMO.
They might as well call it 'The Rory and Amy show' as the Doctor is either standing around doing nothing or is trapped and they have to save the day again - he might as well not be in it .

I'm getting fed up with Rory and bloody Amy,and for the 1st time ever last weekend i walked out on a Dr Who episode through total boredom.

And yes, that was who you thought it was.

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited September 2011 Posts: 13,882
    Only the two recent episodes (Night Terrors & The Girl Who Waited), i've liked this series. But I thought Series 5 was much better (The Eleventh Hour, The Beast Below, Victory Of The Daleks & Vampires In Venice were particular favourites of mine). This series as a whole hasn't stood up to good to last years, but Smith is still a wonderful Doctor, and this is from someone who was unsure of such a young ator in the role. He has gone on to round out my top 3 Doctors. B-)
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Matt Smith is an amazing doctor (Eccleston was best though IMHO), but yeah the plot seems focused on rory, amy and river. Companions should never get such a big storyline.
  • Haven't really enjoyed Dr. Who at all, especially not as much as i used to since 2005-2009, but this is the first series since the "first" series back in 2005 where i have deliberately missed episodes.
    I just don't care anymore about it, there's so much wrong with it now, that first episode of the new series was the worst thing i had seen on TV in a verrry long time (no joke), it was extremely pointless, there was nothing new introduced (Apart from 'the doctor is going to die in a later episode' - AGAIN!).

The acting is very bad, the 'special effects' are dated (youtubers CAN do better), the scripting is bad, the enemies are bad, the 'ideas' are bad. IT'S bad.

It's asif now they just come up with an 'idea' then just quickly get it over and done with -.-
  • I used to watch the series now and again about 25/30 years ago when it was just a no thrills set of events that actually worked and scared the audience and there was always something to talk about with friends the day after. Grew up with Tom Baker and Peter Davison and storylines were never too complex, the Daleks at the time were a real threat to a younger audience and you could feel any tension, they really were terrifying to some I remember.

I used to have a book from the 1970s by creator Terry Nation giving a whole rundown on everything A-Z of the series and a whole lot more, they even gave a directory of 'how to communicate in Dalek'

Strangely enough, I never needed the chance to try my 'skills'.
    Love it...

Its heavy on A/R/R because of what happened to the doctor...and how he has affected/effected them specially since there are no TLs around...

Rose had a larger...story line...
    Its better then Tennants seasons and those awful Russell T Davies finales but it is not as good as season 5. That had some classics - Time of Angels, Amys Choice, Vincent and the Doctor, The Lodger etc..

But the story arc mainly involving River Song has taken over. Lets Kill Hitler was all story arc and no story. The best have been the standalones like Night Terrors, the Doctors Wife and The Girl who Waited. Theres been too much River Song this season and she isnt a sympathetic character IMHO.

But Matt Smith is a joy. He inhabits the role no one has since Tom left.
    seen the first 8 LOVE IT!!!!
  • I really like it - an interesting change of pace from previous seasons. My only complaint is that it sometimes seems like Moffat makes things too overly-complicated because he's so in love with all the temporal gymnastics he can pull. But overall very good.
    I like it a lot. Steven Moffat tries to do something different from season 5 and quite a few folks liked season 5 better. Had he continued in the same vein people would have complained about his lack of diversity.
    DW in the person of Matt Smith is bloody brilliant and I do make time in my diary to sit down and watch the episodes of this season every Saturday. It is still a quality show that still performs brilliant after so many seasons.
    Good one tonight. Nice mention of the Nimon.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    With the subject of faith, I had a sense of deja vu (The Curse Of Fenric) tonight. Allthough they didn't quite handle it as good as in Fenric. It was still a decent episode, though.

And talking of Fenric...
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I really like it - an interesting change of pace from previous seasons. My only complaint is that it sometimes seems like Moffat makes things too overly-complicated because he's so in love with all the temporal gymnastics he can pull. But overall very good.
    Agree with that.
    When Matt Smith took over I never thought he could be anywhere as good as Tennent. Now, it's a bit like David who? Matt Smith is so good I watch the show just for him. He has made the Dr an alien again. Those awkward moments where he tries to do things the human way but never quite get it right. So funny, so clever.

It seems next week is without Amy and Rory, so hopefully @barryt007 will enjoy it more.
    ;-) , however I have read that Amy is on board for the next series. Anyone have any upto date news on season 7?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    From what we can gather Amy and Rory will be back part time for the next series, which looks to have an air date of September - December. Doctor Who will be going back to it's 'traditional' Autumn slot. So a new companion (or companions) could be announced in January when filming begins.
    All i've heard, is that apparantly Smith wants The Doctor to wear a pork pie hat.

I'm a big fan of the 7th Doctor and his Panama, so i'm all for the Doctor wearing a hat (that's not a Fez ;-) ) again. And also Smith has signed on until 2013 (the shows 50th anniversary).
    I think Smith will be the perfect Doctor for the fiftieth anniversary.
    I must admit that it has been a change of pace from previous series, but I have loved it so far. Sure there have been a few not so good episodes, but we always get that. Equally there have been some outstanding episodes (Impossible Astronaut, Doctor's Wife, The Girl Who Waited). Matt Smith has been brilliant throughout. So has Karen and Arthur.

What I think is brilliant is although this series has been focused on Amy and Rory, somehow we have gotten to see the 'real' Doctor more than ever. This series has shown us a side of The Doctor that I have never seen before.

My main concern is how they are going to explain the whole River/Melody, Silence, etc story in the last two episodes. Let's just hope it isn't too rushed.
    I'm thinking that Rory is going to have to be gone for good very soon. I miss the days when it was just the Doctor and his companion. I also hate the new thing they do before the title card...you know, "When I was young, I met a man, he comes from somewhere else..." It makes it seem like the show's main character is Amy. When she's gone, those intros are going to seem very dated.

ALL that being said, I enjoy Doctor Who. I thought this series, while companion heavy, has been just about as good as the rest.

But please send Rory away. As a matter of fact, they can scrap Amy and get a whole new companion if they want; I wouldn't be too upset.
    I also hate the new thing they do before the title card...you know, "When I was young, I met a man, he comes from somewhere else..." It makes it seem like the show's main character is Amy. When she's gone, those intros are going to seem very dated.
    As far as I know, they only do that outside of the UK. I hope on the DVD releases they get rid of it.
    I also hate the new thing they do before the title card...you know, "When I was young, I met a man, he comes from somewhere else..." It makes it seem like the show's main character is Amy. When she's gone, those intros are going to seem very dated.
    As far as I know, they only do that outside of the UK. I hope on the DVD releases they get rid of it.
    I wasn't even aware of that! They just should have never done it in the first place! Ah why for non UK audiences? I mean we're not that stupid :-))
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    One thing I noticed when NewWho started in 2005. The show focused more on the companians. In fact the first episode of season 1 was called 'Rose'. I thought it was an interesting idea to see everything from the viewpoint of the vulnerable human companian with the Dr as the mysterious alien fltting around the outside.
    This last episode was a vast improvement and Matt Smith held it all together once again,a good job.
    And i cant believe that i wished for Amy and Rory to be gone last Frday and hey presto they are gone the next day !!

Cybermen next week - things seem back on track !!
    Watching Night Terrors (stupid crap NZ TV) first time on who I'm scared as hell. LOVE IT!!!!
  • Dr.who is weird.
    Good one last night. Smith and Corden have excellent chemistry. Smith is like Tom Baker he can carry the entire thing on his lonesome.
  • Last night was a great improvement, although it was still not without it's issues, we had all that build-up to the cybermen, just for a couple of minutes of stuff we've already seen.... Though the episode was enjoyable
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    When Matt Smith took over I never thought he could be anywhere as good as Tennent. Now, it's a bit like David who? Matt Smith is so good I watch the show just for him. He has made the Dr an alien again. Those awkward moments where he tries to do things the human way but never quite get it right. So funny, so clever.
    On the button there, Nackers. Absolutely on the button... :)
    Oh dear what a mess. Timey whimy twiddle twaddle. All plot points and no story.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Watched it last night, I didn't get it. Smith is a great doctor but the storyline really confuses me.

series 1(05)>>>every other series

eccleston>>smith>>>>>>tennant
    excellent last show, there is somewhere a promise of a less epic season, which means less saving of the universe but more saving of people. I hope.

Now we wait for Christmas

Or monday when SJA begins their last 6 episodes.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Loved it. Roll on Christmas. It's Narnia time.

I'm not sure if I even want the question to be answered.