The Great Bond Film Elimination Game

Comments

Creasy47 wrote:
    Birdleson wrote:
    I know that I am in the minority, but I am against point reduction. With patience, it will eventually get down to a winner.

But that's the whole point, and as the last fortnight has already proven, it won't resolve itself when we're all voting in the same continuous pattern.

Exactly. It's been nearly a month that we've been voting on the same three.

I agree. Something has to be done to make this move along because at this rate the game will never end...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    *cough* Three-way tie *cough*
  • *cough* Three-way tie *cough*

Good enough for me. They're 2, 3, and 4 on my list, and I'm sure they're in similar positions on most people's, if not even higher.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    *cough* Three-way tie *cough*

I see no problem with that, or even give the game another 24-48 hours, and pick the first, second, and third place winners based on the final vote count.
  • Thursday
    FRWL 26+
    OHMSS 20
    CR 24-
    FRWL: 27 (+1)
    OHMSS: 19 (-1)
    CR: 24

Eliminated:
    4. Skyfall
    5. Licence to Kill
    6. The Living Daylights
    7. Dr. No
    8. For Your Eyes Only
    9. GoldenEye
    10. Goldfinger
    11. The Spy Who Loved Me
    12. Thunderball
    13. Octopussy
    14. Live and Let Die
    15. The World Is Not Enough
    16. Quantum of Solace
    17. Tomorrow Never Dies
    18. You Only Live Twice
    19. A View To A Kill
    20. The Man with the Golden Gun
    21. Diamonds Are Forever
    22. Moonraker
    23. Die Another Day
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Thursday voting:

FRWL: 27
    OHMSS: 18 (-1)
    CR: 25 (+1)
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 4,622
    I've seen these games played out many times on this board and others. The solution has always been to increase the vote increment ie +/- 5 points per vote, or +/- 3 points,or whatever.
    We could probably get away with +/- 5 points right about now.
    Any other method ie taking the same amount of points from each movie, penalizes the lowest movie by taking away a higher percentage of it's votes. It's simply not fair and negates the proportional impact of those who cast votes for these films.

This is an elimination game. If you increase the +/- point increments you increase the chances of elimination. ie if a movie has only 10 points, it only takes the next two voters to knock it out, or possibly 2/3 or 3/4 etc, and suddenly the game changes to a two horse elimination.
    Anyway I defer to whoever is running this game.

Thursday

FRWL: 28 +1
    OHMSS: 18
    CR: 24 -1
    timmer wrote:
    I've seen these games played out many times on this board and others. The solution has always been to increase the vote increment ie +/- 5 points per vote, or +/- 3 points,or whatever.
    We could probably get away with +/- 5 points right about now.
    Any other method ie taking the same amount of points from each movie, penalizes the lowest movie by taking away a higher percentage of it's votes. It's simply not fair and negates the proportional impact of those who cast votes for these films.

This is an elimination game. If you increase the +/- point increments you increase the chances of elimination. ie if a movie has only 10 points, it only takes the next two voters to knock it out, or possibly 2/3 or 3/4 etc, and suddenly the game changes to a two horse elimination.
    Anyway I defer to whoever is running this game.

Not to make an argument out of this, but from my point of view it is your solution that is unfair. People will continue to vote for the same films, and the result will be randomly decided by who votes first. For example, if OHMSS is unpopular by "morning voters", only four votes would be needed to eliminate it and so forth. That is just not the right way to do it...
    That's what I've thought of: if we change the vote count to something much, much higher, then the first few in essentially manage to decide the outcome of the game.

Then again (and I feel like I keep negating myself with this, and I really don't mean to), it is only a game. I say we either call a three-way tie (like Brady brought up) or just give it another 24 hours and choose the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners from the final tally.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 7,505
    Creasy47 wrote:
    That's what I've thought of: if we change the vote count to something much, much higher, then the first few in essentially manage to decide the outcome of the game.

Then again (and I feel like I keep negating myself with this, and I really don't mean to), it is only a game. I say we either call a three-way tie (like Brady brought up) or just give it another 24 hours and choose the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners from the final tally.

I like that idea! :-bd We set a deadline, and the film with the highest score wins. That is, fair as it accounts for all the votes being cast from day one. And it seems like the easiest way to solve the problem.
    And with that deadline, it will:

A.) Give everyone that wants to vote a chance to vote.
    B.) Ensure that everyone truly is voting for what they do and don't want to win, as the points will really matter and can make a difference this time.

I say we either do that or take a much easier route and call a three-way tie. Either way, it's time we've moved on to a new game.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    FRWL: 27 (-1)
    OHMSS: 19 (+1)
    FRWL: 28 (+1)

• zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    I think we are reaching a consensus here for the first time. What do you suggest, @thunderfinger ?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    FRWL: 28
    OHMSS: 19 +1
    CR: 23 -1
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 7,505
    FRWL: 29 (+1)
    CR: 23
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Correct scores:

FRWL: 29
    OHMSS: 18
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    FRWL: 28 (-1)
    OHMSS: 19 (+1)
    FRWL: 27 -1
    OHMSS: 19
    CR: 24 +1
    Friday

FRWL: 28 (+1)

• pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    FRWL: 29 (+1)
    OHMSS: 17 (-1)

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    OHMSS: 18 +1
    CR: 23 -1
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    OHMSS: 17 (-1)
    CR: 24 (+1)

Eliminated:
    4. Skyfall
    5. Licence to Kill
    6. The Living Daylights
    7. Dr. No
    8. For Your Eyes Only
    9. GoldenEye
    10. Goldfinger
    11. The Spy Who Loved Me