Are there any other "Spies in Space" besides the James Bond film Moonraker (1979)?

DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
edited May 2014 in General Discussion Posts: 17,850
Are there any other Spies in Space besides the James Bond Film Moonraker (1979)? It can be in novels, film or TV series.

I know that Boysie Oakes also went into space in John Gardner's fifth Oakes novel Founder Member (1969) which ends with a sex experiment in outer space! Could this have been an influence on the James Bond film released some ten years later? Or was Moonraker more of a reaction to Star Wars, Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Close Encounters of the Third Kind?

As always, I'd love to hear your suggestions and views on this one.

Comments

Section 31 in Star Trek. Does that count?
    Austin Powers: The Spy who Shagged Me?
    Didnt Matt Helm or Flint end up in space in one of their films ?
    Actually in many scifi shows they have secret services, so there are a fair deal of spies in space.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Ludovico wrote:
    Actually in many scifi shows they have secret services, so there are a fair deal of spies in space.

Interesting. I hadn't expected so many examples of spies in space to be given. Can you give examples, @Ludovico?
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Star Wars? Bobba Fett?
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Interesting. I hadn't expected so many examples of spies in space to be given. Can you give examples, @Ludovico?

I wouldn't be able to name that many but apart from Section31 there was the Romulan Tal Shiar and the Cardassian Obsidian Order. Garak in Deep Space 9 was a former member of the latter. In Babylon 5 there were many spies from various groups, including telepaths. The list is endless.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    In the 1988 Mission: Impossible season 2 episode Target Earth, one of the IMF agents went into space to stop terrorists from destroying communications satellites with a laser cannon attached to a space shuttle.
    edited May 2014 Posts: 17,850
    Murdock wrote:
    In the 1988 Mission: Impossible season 2 episode Target Earth, one of the IMF agents went into space to stop terrorists from destroying communications satellites with a laser cannon attached to a space shuttle.

Interesting, @Murdock. That sounds rather like Richard Maibaum's original DAF script which had a laser cannon mounted on a supertanker.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

Interesting, @Murdock. That sounds rather like Richard Maibaum's original DAF script which had a laser cannon mounted on a supertanker.

You can watch it here. :)
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xxetrn_s2e7-mission-impossible-1988-target-earth_lifestyle
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

Even better : said agent had been in space before. Does the name Jane Badler ring a bell ?
    Murdock wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

You can watch it here. :)
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xxetrn_s2e7-mission-impossible-1988-target-earth_lifestyle

Thank you for providing that link, @Murdock. Much appreciated!
    You're welcome. :)
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Murdock wrote:
    In the 1988 Mission: Impossible season 2 episode Target Earth, one of the IMF agents went into space to stop terrorists from destroying communications satellites . with a laser cannon attached to a space shuttle

That does sound very like the climax of Moonraker!
    Murdock wrote:
    In the 1988 Mission: Impossible season 2 episode Target Earth, one of the IMF agents went into space to stop terrorists from destroying communications satellites . with a laser cannon attached to a space shuttle

That does sound very like the climax of Moonraker!

The episode is like a compressed version of YOLT and MR. :))
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Derek Flint went into space in In Like Flint, but just for a short while. ;-)
    Austin Powers went there in The Spy Who Shagged Me.

That's about all I know. ;-)
    ANd what about Star Wars? Aren't Jedi and Sith a bit like spies?
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    The upcoming Machete in Space?
    Alien: Resurrection. Call (played by Winona Ryder) was a cyborg spy! :P
    The first Alien movie had a cyborg spy too.
    Spies in space would make a great B Movie title. Vala from Stargate sg-1 a spy? and various other things.
    Ludovico wrote:
    The first Alien movie had a cyborg spy too.

Yes, I meant to add that in the OP as another space film released around the time of Moonraker.
  • I won't spoil, but a forthcoming movie may have that (the source material has it, anyway).
    I won't spoil, but a forthcoming movie may have that (the source material has it, anyway).

Can you private message me? Forreal?
  • John Steed and Tara King ended up rocketing into space at the end of the last of the 1960s Avengers episodes, 'Bizarre' (1969), but it was more as a final comic bit of business before the end credits, rather than it really being part of the episode's plot.

Jane Fonda as Barbarella (1968) was basically a space spy, sent by the World President (acting as a combination M and Q on her ship's view-screen, outlining her mission and providing her with weaponry and gadgets), to look for Durand-Durand on planet Lythion. Durand-Durand (Miles O'Keefe) basically plays a flamboyant, Bondian villain, putting her in death traps and threatening all with his Positronic Ray.

These, and James Coburn's 'Derek Flint', at the climax of In Like Flint (1967), are the only examples I can think of.
  • PM sent about the spoiler...

Hm, there's a French movie "Un ticket pour l'espace", which has some elements of "Spy in Space" because the story is about some militaries, secret identities, and a hijacking of a space station. It's not really a hero who is a spy like Flint, but a duo of heroes, made of a military and a tourist fighting a terrorist.
    Here's a fight scene aboard the station :