Which death affected you more ? Tracy or Vesper ? UPDATE : Or M ?

124»

Comments

• Did SC ever comment on OHMSS or GL?

I'm still curious to know. Just asking. There's no article on it. I'd like to know because the Fast and Furious movies interconnect very well once Vin Diesel got involved. Of course Bond is a different story. Those like me who demand justice for OHMSS to have a true sequel haven't gotten one. FYEO got Moored on.
  • Tracy, she did the least to 'deserve it' unquestionably, and she and Bond truly seemed on the verge of happiness even more than Vesper and Bond. All three are quite tragic, although M's death, on first viewing, was more shocking than sad.
    The best chemistry between Bond and a lover are both non-Connery Bonds.
    Lazenby and Rigg are very good together, as are Craig and Green.
    I really like Vesper and Bond, but I give the edge to Bond and Tracy.
    Tracy everytime. My favourite Bond girl and the only one I could see being Mrs. Bond.
    jerome007 wrote:
    Tracy everytime. My favourite Bond girl and the only one I could see being Mrs. Bond.

I feel this way too. It's just such a tragic scene... She is the one and only Mrs. James Bond. No way she'll be topped as a Bond girl for me.
  • The real life story of OHMSS is sad too, the drama around it, how GL didn't follow-through...that's another post.
  • The death of M was the most dramatic scene, then Tracy's. I wasn't really affected by Vesper's death...
    But by the way: Alec's death was very sad. I liked him.
    Am i the only one who is glad Denchs M is dead?
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 368
    No, you're not @AstonLotus. I'm SO glad M is male again!
    But although M's death was more affecting than the other two...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Good riddance to Dench, nowhere near the tragedy of Tracy or Vesper for me.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Tracy and M's deaths were the only ones in the whole series that genuinely affected me. Vesper's was ok but a bit too dramatic and staged.

To me the death scene in SF feels like a younger man loosing his grandma. I love the way Craig gently covers her eyes and breaks down. There's that personal touch.
  • BAIN123 wrote:
    To me the death scene in SF feels like a younger man loosing his grandma. I love the way Craig gently covers her eyes and breaks down. There's that personal touch.
    Yes I agree with you...

• Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    Tracy's death, while completely unexpected, felt poorly executed (pardon the pun). The whole drive by shooting thing just felt dumb to me and Laz's acting during this scene was pretty poor.

Vesper's death wasn't as unexpected, but watching her drown was pretty disturbing and shocking. Plus, Craig's acting during this scene was excellent.

The only death that significantly affected me was M's. I can't be the only one here that teared up when she died.
    AstonLotus wrote:

What the hell is wrong with these forums?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    AstonLotus wrote:

What the hell is wrong with these forums?
    cool-Bender-philosophy-people-bar.jpg
  • Tracy's death, while completely unexpected, felt poorly executed (pardon the pun). The whole drive by shooting thing just felt dumb to me and Laz's acting during this scene was pretty poor.

Come on now, you know Bond is destined to be single, so how can you NOT expect Tracy's death.

That's the point...you know she is going to die...and yet to see it come to fruition is still a shock.

Now M, THAT caught me off guard.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 4,622
    When I first saw OHMSS in cinema, without having read the Fleming novel, and not knowing what happened in the novel, I still knew that there had to be a hook regarding the marriage. ie I knew it couldn't last as Bond's natural state is bachelor, so I was not schocked at all when she was killed, as I was expecting some resolution to the marriage. The fact that I had already seen DAF in cinema, told me as well that the marriage hadn't lasted.
    Still I was saddened as the film had done a good job, making the Bond-Tracy relationship believable, but I was relieved when the Bond theme was brought up full and we left the cinema with clear knowledge that Bond would continue as Bond. He would grieve off screen.
    I wasn't very much affected by Bond-Vesper in CR, as the Haggis dialogue between the two, which helped build the relationship, was so retch inducing, that I had trouble caring about the relationship, that I knew was doomed anyway.
    Still I was hoping he could pull her out of the elevator in time, and it was rather sad when he was left holding the limp body. That scene was well played.
    I thought Craig oversold the "bitch is dead" line, but it was lifted from Fleming, so I am not sure how that line could be perfectly delivered. Maybe a little less aggressively might have worked better.
    I was not at all affected by M's death. Not in the slightest. The whole mommy-M trust bs, that dragged thru both CR and QoS, was tedious in the extreme. And SF brings us even more Bond-M melodrama. Enough!!!!!!
    When Dench-M went down, I was actually relieved. I would be much better with Craig as Bond, if all of his films weren't such soap operas. Groan!!
    And it has nothing to do with Dench as M. Broz didn't have these torturous issues with her.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 11,425
    Smithers wrote:
    Without doubt these are my favourite Bond girls. Tracy is the more devastating for the viewer but vesper more emotionally damaging for Bond due to the betrayal.
    However the one that effected me most was the loss of M in Skyfall. The film was blinding but left me numb. I sense this was due to the fact we had got know her over a series of 7 films as only a single one for the others. (I know this is slightly off subject - - apologies for any offence caused)

Interesting that a FEMALE M would get captured (TWINE) and ultimately dies (Skyfall) whereas the male M was relatively separated from the action.

On of the most annoying aspects of Dench's M was her habbit of straying into the action and hogging the limelight. A very unfortunate trend that only seems set to continue. M should he desk bound - his/her days in the field are decades behind them.

@Timmer - totally agree. This has become the really nagging fear with the Craig movies - that they just increasingly become workplace dramas, about Bond negotiating his relationships with colleagues at MI6, rather than bedding the ladies and stopping the bad guy.
    I was not too affected by M's demise in SF. A part of me was glad to see her go. I agree that it was a mistake to have M front and center so much since TWINE. A person of M's status would not be caught outside the office. We can all only hope that this trend of having M in the field has finally come to a close.

Maybe EON felt that they had such a fine thespian in Judi Dench, they did not want to waste her talents. I don't know....