Is there anything for the PS3 console?

2»

Comments

• WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    Yes, MGS4 if you have no care for understanding a single thing in the singleplayer.

Educate yourself, its not that hard to pay attention. Its pretty self explanatory.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Bull#$%^ @Willard. It got to the point where I didn't care anymore. The forty + minute cutscene at the end made me throw in the flag. The Boss Fight was superb though.
    If the cut scene was bad for you, that's fine. It helped bring closure to alot of fans having Big Boss meet his son in such an environment.

Big Boss: [to Solid Snake] I never thought of you as a son, but I always respected you as a soldier... and as a man.

Big Boss: Boss... you were right. It's not about changing the world. It's about doing our best to leave the world... the way it is. It's about respecting the will of others, and believing in your own.

These two quotes were enough for me to watch the entire cut scene. The MGS series goes in depth on so many levels, that's why its the best gaming franchise to play.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    *cough* Uncharted *cough*

Yahtzee is always a great second opinion:
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/99-Metal-Gear-Solid-4
    I liked the MGS series. But there was so much wrong with it. I don't think I could bring myself to play the games again. Uncharted games are true cinematic games, not forcing you to watch half an hour of cinematic scenes every 10 minutes or so.

But MGS is the only game series that has brought a tear in my eye. But to play the whole series again. Meh.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Yep, just finished Uncharted 2, and that's exactly the kind of game i like. So....any more suggestions? I think I'll skip the MGS line, as it started years ago and the latest episode isn't getting that much positive remarks..
    Uncharted a cinematic journey? haha, so is MGS, if you don't like cutscenes press x.

Sharkbait, what was wrong with MGS? MGS1 had probably the best plot in all of games to date.

Also coming out this year for PS3 is Metal Gear Solid: Rising ( where you play as the cyborg ninja Raiden), and the new Metal Gear Solid HD collection which was introduced at E3. The new collection will offer an HD look into MGS2 and MGS3 and you will be able to play HD Peace Walker.

CommanderRoss, don't lets these dogs opinion influenced your own decision to play MGS, start fresh and enjoy the journey.
    Like I was saying @CommanderRoss, I'm glad you enjoyed the Uncharted series so far. If you haven't played LA Noire yet, I highly recommend it to you. Same goes for Batman Arkham Asylum. Stay away from Gran Turismo 5. I don't know if you have played any already, but they're some choices(except GT5 of course).
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited August 2011 Posts: 11,139
    Rising isn't coming out this year. We'd be lucky to even get it next year. However, yes, the HD collections of MGS2 and 3 and peace walker will be out this year and I'll be picking them up. If you want a true gaming experience where you as the player have no choice but to be emotionally be invested and to marvel at the awe-inspiring approach that puts hollywood blockbusters to shame and essentially changed the face of gaming as a whole, get involved with the MGS series. It's the best video game series ever, although as greÀt as MGS4 is, the standards set by the previous outings made MGS4 not quite as satisfying and I blame that moron, michael payton for that.
    I agree doubleoego, MGS1 set the standards, and the only other game in the series to match it was MGS3.

A double check on the release date for Rising, you are correct, that must have been revised because it was said to come out at the end of this year.
    I would suggest the Metal Gear series, definitely. If you don't like cutscenes then just skip them. I've always enjoyed them just because I've always enjoyed the story and the details. There's a lot of depth to the games. They're not perfect, but Metal Gear Solid 1, 3, and 4 are great, in my opinion. Especially if you have backwards compatibility.

I own L.A. Noire and the graphics, details, and facial technology is quite impressive. But as far as the gameplay goes, it does get old and a bit routine after a while. Looks great, but the main character is a bit stiff and the story gets a bit long, old, and same ol', same ol'.

As someone else suggested, Batman: Arkham Asylum is pretty damn good. Still plenty of time to play it before Arkham City comes out, too. Great graphics, fun gameplay and gadgets, some but not all boss fights are pretty good. Especially the Scarecrow scenes. Definitely a recommend from me.

Sharkbait, what was wrong with MGS? MGS1 had probably the best plot in all of games to date.

Nothing really. I've played the games from mgs to mgs4 (and mg-ss) many times over. But the games don't hold up that well. When I finished mgs 4, I though that that was it. I tried my favorite mgs, mgs 3 again and I just couldn't bring myself to finish it again. I got fed up with the mgs series really. I found a much better cinematic experience in Uncharted. In uncharted series I found the balance between gameplay and cinematics, that I never found in any of the mgs games. But I do agree on one thing ; MGS 1 is a classsic. But after a while the series doesn't really have any replayability I find in such games as the Uncharted series.

Wow, I just finished a MGS marathon and thought the exact opposite. Thats your opinion and your entitled to it, I guess.

Regardless of the graphics MGS1 will always stand the test of time. B-) And for that I am truly great full to Kojima.
    I own about 2 to 3 copis of each metal gear game and I also bought a game cube specifically for twin snakes. The games for me aren't just about the cinematic experience and game play but the characters themselves in which I feel so invested in. The level of detaill put into these games is bananas. This may be an unpopular choice but for me MGS2 is by far my favourite of the series and MGS3 is probably the most poignant. I think the games do hold up well, surprisingly well and that's a testament to kojima's creative process to put out the best looking games on the market. I need to do a MGS marathon too, it's been a while.

• JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    Have been enjoying the (short) demo for Red Faction: Armageddon. The magnet gun is just too much fun.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    So starting the MGS series at nr 3 or 4 wouldn't be a problem? 'cos I don't think 1 is playable on the PS3 and I'm definetely not going to buy another console.
    We do have Batman: Arkham, my girlfriend is playing that, and I might start doing it also. Seems a lot of fun, well made and a very good story too. Also waiting for my friend to return Red Dead Redemption. I think it's one of the best, and most beautiful games ever. Just hanging around is fun, let alone actually doing any missions. Proper story too.

Anyway, I might start-up Uncharted at the difficult level. Funny thing was, when I finished it, the final scenes were cool, as I was going ' wow, that's true, I passed here before'. Seemed a long time ago. It's that intense.
    Get on and complete batman arkham, the new game, arkham city comes out next month. As for metal gear, I really wouldn't start with 4 because this game references and ties up loose ends and events that occured in the previous games. To be fair though, u can get mgs1 from the ps store, u don't need to buy a new console and secondly, u can start the series with mgs3 as its a prequel.