"Attempting re-entry", Moonraker appreciation thread

Comments

Watched this on Sunday with the Mrs with the sound down as baby was sleeping in the same room.

Actually couldn't helping cracking up at the whole "Bondola" scene, it seemed hilarious worked so much better as a silent film!
    Yeah I saw some of it on ITV aswell. Aspects of it are strong but the space lazer battle at the end is pretty rubbish. Dated silly sci-fi aimed at 10 year olds.

Always laugh at the hammy delivery of one of the American astronauts:

"It's hopeless sir, the corridor's blocked they can't get to us now" :))
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 1,052
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Yeah I saw some of it on ITV aswell. Aspects of it are strong but the space lazer battle at the end is pretty rubbish. Dated silly sci-fi aimed at 10 year olds.

Always laugh at the hammy delivery of one of the American astronauts:

"It's hopeless sir, the corridor's blocked they can't get to us now" :))

There are so many things that are silly in the film but it's such a strange concoction, despite the absurd nature of some of it, Bond actually does a fair bit of spying and there are some really dark bits as well, Love Manuela also, she needed more screentime!

Also noticed a lot of nice visual touches in MR and TSLWM recently, Gilbert was a fine director!
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 11,189
    YOLT, TSWLM and MR are all impressive pieces of film-making despite their flaws.

I thought Manuela was pretty poor and wooden to be honest.

("C and W?...Yes")

When she sits down in that chair I want to tell her to stop posing.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    There are definitely things to appreciate in MR. Nothing to really hate, but dislike, certainly.
    The PTS is damn good except for the very ending. The score is amazing. Roger is Roger for better or worse. The boat chase is excellent.
    The Venice sequence with the "bondola" etc is stupid. Jaws finding his Juliet and turning good is cringeworthy.Laser gun fight... #-o
    A mixed bag, this one.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    YOLT, TSWLM and MR are all impressive pieces of film-making despite their flaws.

I thought Manuela was pretty poor and wooden to be honest.

("C and W?...Yes")

Your probably right, for some reason I have never give much thought to her actual performance, I just think she's rather lovely!
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I just wanted her to take that dress off ;)
    pachazo wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I just wanted her to take that dress off ;)

As it is it doesn't conceal very much :D
  • Moore seems incredibly unctuous and self-regarding in his films, currently shown on ITV, but at least in MR despite it being a sillier film, he has that murmuring rougishness that Connery seemed to do so well, he is less the smug school prefect (though he is like that sometimes). MR has been no 2 on my list due to fond memories and I agree with all the plaudits, but sometimes it does seem a bit odd as a genre. Almost like a cross between slapstick and conspiracy thriller.

Watched it with my sister who reasonably pointed out, why is Bond heading off to the Amazon simply because they figured the orchid came from a river near there? So what, it doesn't mean there is anything up there, there's no reason for Drax to have his base there, is here? Like saying, this bit of the nuclear warhead was made in Milton Keynes, so that's where Spectre must be hiding out, or something.
    Love Moonraker.Terrific entertainment.

Only people with no sense of humour dislike this film.
    AstonLotus wrote:

Thats a bit harsh, I laughed more at the jokes in CR and SF. A lot of the humour in MR is pretty childish.

Compared to the horrific comedy in MWTGG though the humour is great.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    AstonLotus wrote:

Thats a bit harsh, I laughed more at the jokes in CR and SF. A lot of the humour in MR is pretty childish.

Compared to the horrific comedy in MWTGG though the humour is great.

I really liked the humour in MWTGG.I especially love the bit where Bond faces his opponent in the kung fu dojo and when they both start to bow...007 kicks the dude in the face!

:-))
    I liked Roger Moore since his days as the Saint, and hence watched again Moonraker 2 decades after its release ( I watched all the Bond movies on the first day of their release from DN to DAF and stopped after Connery left, would have watched if Lazenby continued too) with my son when he was into Bond books and films. Also, could not resist the legendary John Barry music.
  • Great film. enough said
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 1,009
    I don't hate any Bond film, and Moonraker is a funny film with the best FX ever in a Bond film by the time of release. However it's too over the top and plain silly. But guess what, I love one thing that everybody else hates: Jaws making his Heel- Face turn. It's just that Dolly doesn't belong to the film. I think Jaws just could have made it because he felt Drax was going to dispose of him sooner or later, and decided to save himself using Bond's aid. Then he saves Bond and Holly just as a retribution (and, of course, survives to challenge Bond again).

Just wishful thinking.
    It is an awkward Bond fil for sure. It seems they wanted to cash in on the Star Wars craz and stuck Bond in space.
    So while I don't love it. I don't hate it either.
  • Moonraker is actually my favorite... It has it all! Roger Moore just IS James Bond in this one, Holly is hot, Jaws is cool, Drax is really creepy and the music/visuals are amazing!

Please don´t kill me... :-/
    It has it all! Roger Moore just IS James Bond in this one,

One of my problems with MR is that I think Rog feels less like Bond and Moore like Rog ;)
  • BAIN123 wrote:
    It has it all! Roger Moore just IS James Bond in this one,

One of my problems with MR is that I think Rog feels less like Bond and Moore like Rog ;)

That´s not really how I see it... ;)
  • Absolutely loved Moonraker.
    Watching this on its network TV premiere was what turn me into Bond fan.
    I didn't become a fan watching From Russia With Love, which is overrated and BORING.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    It has some spectacle, Roger looks great, and that's about it.
    One of my least favorites for sure. A stupid mash up with terrible humor and flat performance by the villain, too.
    And yeah, the Bondola; if that didn't kill the franchise, nothing ever will.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    It is easily the weakest film in the franchise excluding Die Another Day. It is silly scene after silly scene, a film that ruined the fantastic Jaws by having him fall for some stupid pony-tailed woman called Dolly (she reminds me of Amanda Thripp from the film Matilda), and made a mockery of Bond with a 'laser battle in space'.

BUT

Like every other Bond film, it doesnt go without its merits.

The death of Corinne Dufour is one of my favourite scenes in the franchise. The scene is exceptionally directed, with a haunting soundtrack used to great effect.

The cinematography, especially the scenes in space, is beautiful, and the score is wonderful (especially 'Space Shuttle Ballet').

Moonraker may be 22/23 for me, but it is good entertainment, albeit some truly awful moments.
    Fun fact: Daisy Duck is in Norway called Dolly.
  • SaintMark wrote:
    It is just a perfect movie in which Roger Moore found his perfect rendition of 007, Drax is a brilliant villain, the death of Corinne is one of the darker moments in the franchise, one of the better soundtracks of the franchise, brilliant sets, wicked sense of humour, etc.

This movies has its small flaws like most 007 movies but is an impressive movie made by really passionate people that really gave us a big eventmovie and made it look good.

Well done sir Couldn't agree more.
  • Hate - no love for this movie. just bad.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 368
    I think MR is ok... The "star wars" part is a bit ridiculous, but I really like Jaws and his cute girlfriend. The locations (Venice, Rio, Amazon, ...) are great! And I like Holly Goodhead. ;)
    For me it's 16/23.
    To be honest I don't think Goodhead is all that convincing, she's like an attractive mum pretending to be tough. The fit mother of a friend you had at school.

Wai Lin knocks the spots off her as a "Bond equal".
    BAIN123 wrote:
    To be honest I don't think Goodhead is all that convincing, she's like an attractive mum pretending to be tough. The fit mother of a friend you had at school.

Thanks for sharing. ;)
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 11,425
    Just watched MR for the first time in years. Have to say I thought it starts quite well. Up until Jaws smashes the cable car in Rio. Prior to that most of it is okay. Bondola excepted of course.

The space stuff is daft but ott finales are not unusual in the series. The fact it stretches plausibility is not good.

Somehow though I can't bring myself to hate it.
    I don't think I could say that I hate any of the current 23 Bond films, but Moonraker is easily my second-least favorite after A View to a Kill. Both of them are just too silly and most of their humor falls flat for me. There are still some good moments in each, though.