Spectre wish list

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Birdleson wrote:
    Craig has said in interviews that he's like to see an updated Blofeld.

Proof?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Birdleson, when did I assume that? I stated that it would be nice for them to at least wrap it up during his tenure if they really want to move on to SPECTRE, but I'm not assuming anything.
    @Birdleson, no worries. Now that they have the rights to SPECTRE/Blofeld and Quantum isn't wrapped up at all, I'm really curious as to if they tackle either of those for 'Bond 24' or they go with something separate. Logan seems pretty confident in that the villain is going to be something very pivotal to the plot this time around.
    I just don't get why they would event this brilliant organization Quantum then never use them.
    I don't want quantum to return, nor do I want blofeld to return. I loved blofeld and would prefer to see a blofeld like character who is the head of a spectre/quantum like organization (maybe like the blofeld from the books?) Also gun barrel in the beginning is a must, and a ww3 scenario like in tnd or in yolt would be awesome with craig as bond.
    Ottofuse8 wrote:
    I don't want quantum to return, nor do I want blofeld to return. I loved blofeld and would prefer to see a blofeld like character who is the head of a spectre/quantum like organization (maybe like the blofeld from the books?) Also gun barrel in the beginning is a must, and a ww3 scenario like in tnd or in yolt would be awesome with craig as bond.

So you want neither SPECTRE to return nor Quantum to be finished, but ANOTHER group to emerge? Why? It wouldn't even make sense.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Ottofuse8 wrote:

So you want neither SPECTRE to return nor Quantum to be finished, but ANOTHER group to emerge? Why? It wouldn't even make sense.

The worst of all worlds really.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Ottofuse8 wrote:

Sounds like a horrible idea to me.
  • RC7RC7
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Ottofuse8 wrote:

Sounds like a horrible idea to me.

Seems fine to me. There is no Quantum story to finish, just loose ends. And there are many organisations, in various guises, that are a threat to the world.
    But with two possible groups to use - an old one and an unfinished one - why introduce a third that they might not even see through to the end? We don't know if there's a head of Quantum, and if so, he/she hasn't been brought down, Mr. White and Guy Haines (and countless others) are still out there plotting, I'm sure, as they have people everywhere. I would love to at least see it wrapped up. Feels quite unfinished to me.
  • RC7RC7
    Creasy47 wrote:
    But with two possible groups to use - an old one and an unfinished one - why introduce a third that they might not even see through to the end? We don't know if there's a head of Quantum, and if so, he/she hasn't been brought down, Mr. White and Guy Haines (and countless others) are still out there plotting, I'm sure, as they have people everywhere. I would love to at least see it wrapped up. Feels quite unfinished to me.

It doesn't bother me. Quantum don't strike me as a threat than can be completely neutralised. Cut down one operative and two spring up in their place. There's nothing to say Haines and White weren't rounded up following the events of QoS. As it stands I don't think the loose ends are reason enough to warrant their return. The return would have to be the result of a fascinating idea, plain and simple. By all means their existence could be mentioned in passing, but I'm not convinced they warrant another movie. Given what Mendes and Logan did with Silva, I don't imagine they'll stray into Quantum territory and if they did, I can't see them retaining the real world sensibilities that everyone seems to love about the organisation.
    But we have no reason to believe that they were rounded up after the events. Granted, they weren't talked about whatsoever in SF, but perhaps they went into hiding after the events of QoS to regroup, in a sense. With Mendes, I'm sure he could give us a great reason to bring Quantum back, as a good portion of fans seemed to hate QoS's storyline. But, with how Logan is talking about the villain in this, I highly doubt they will bring them back. Perhaps down the road at some point.
    Quantum needs to return in some form or another. You don't create something, leave it on a cliffhanger then don't do anything with them again. That's called sloppy story writing. It would be like if after Doctor No they never mentioned SPECTRE again and the films followed it never used them.
    Murdock wrote:
    Quantum needs to return in some form or another. You don't create something, leave it on a cliffhanger then don't do anything with them again. That's called sloppy story writing. It would be like if after Doctor No they never mentioned SPECTRE again and the films followed it never used them.

It's a torn line. Some of us really want Quantum to return and at least be finished so it gets a proper ending, others want SPECTRE to return ASAP, and some want another group to return. In that case, let's reveal a new organization every film, not have Bond stop them, and then never bring it up again.
    Exactly. I don't see why Blofeld or SPECTRE need to return. They had their day. I thought we were looking to the future for originality and fresh ideas, tap into some unused Fleming material. Bond doesn't technically need to bring Quantum down in a blaze of Glory but dammit you can't just sweep them under the rug. They were in charge of Le Chiffre and Greene.

They were responsible for Vesper and Mathis's death! Doesn't that count for something!?! They are able to change the flow of world powers! Why do people hate them so much? Because they don't feature an Octopus or a White fluffy cat? Or because they are Boring? Don't give me that. They can be made into something vicious.

People are just afraid to give Quantum a chance and take the fanservice route and have Blofeld and company brought back because it's a Reboot. Because it's a reboot. Please don't make me laugh. Every reboot now has brought back their classic villains and rehashed more of the old crap. Is that what we want for Bond? Remakes of the old movies and villain plots? Why? For novelty?

Bring me Quantum and Bring me originality!
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 2,107
    Quantum could even be revealed to have had their hands in the events seen in Skyfall. Nothing big. But giving their support to Silva.
    I'm going to be completely honest and just say I don't exactly want Blofeld to return. :)>-
    I think by default he's the greatest Bond villain (being Bond's nemesis), but at least in his current form, belongs to older Bond eras. I would only want Blofeld if they reinvented him a bit to be more realistic and belonging to a modern era of Bond. I would have no issues though if they didn't bring Blofeld back and left him be, and least for the Craig era. He and SPECTRE don't have to come back and be redone necessarily. I might be pleasantly surprised if they do bring him back and it turns out great, but that's just my two cents. I do wish Quantum would get resolved for certain though.
    Wish List:
    Lana Del Rey
    Better Gadgets
    Better/Witty Humor
    Minus some of the grit/grunge
  • RC7RC7
    Murdock wrote:

I don't agree. I don't think there was a 'cliffhanger'. If QoS did anything, it was to bring closure to Bond's personal saga. Haines was still out there, and easy to apprehend. White is slippery, but he's been caught before. There's nothing to suggest a specific hierarchy, or 'head'. The hit ordered on Greene could have come from any of those featured in QoS. There's no story to continue, or resolve. A Quantum centred film would necessitate a brand new narrative. That's not a problem, and doesn't mean it can't be good, but I think it brings up the question of 'why'?

I'd much rather see something brand new. Bond was seasoned by SF, so for those craving continuity, or resolutions, it's not too much of a stretch to imagine White/Haines being banged up in the intervening years. After two films featuring White pottering around in the shadows, do we really need that for a fourth time in three films? I think there are clever ways Quantum can be referenced, but a Quantum-centric film does nothing to particularly stir my emotions. I'd be much happier with a completely new threat.
    SharkBait wrote:
    Quantum could even be revealed to have had their hands in the events seen in Skyfall. Nothing big. But giving their support to Silva.

Yep, I thought that too! But like its not a problem either way really. It has been done before as we all know.
    QOS is by far the weakest of the last 3 Bond films and for this reason I don't want any connection between that movie and Bond 24. Bringing Quantum back would only remind people of QOS which is not a good thing. For this reason I hope that Bond 24 would either feature SPECTRE (without any connections to Quantum) or no secret organization at all.
    Did OHMSS reminded people of YOLT? YOLT was the weakest film of the first five, certainly weaker than OHMSS, yet they still used Blofeld. And he would have been used again in TSWLM in spite of DAF had there not been legal issues.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Plus, one of the main issues with QoS is that it was really confusing. If Quantum were brought back, they might explain what QoS was about.
    Walecs wrote:
    Plus, one of the main issues with QoS is that it was really confusing. If Quantum were brought back, they might explain what QoS was about.

I'm sure for those who don't want Quantum to return, the last thing they want to happen is to have another reminder of QoS, because they sincerely despise that film, too.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I could see a scenario where Quantum was a branch (tentacle) of a larger organization, S.P.E.C.T.R.E. After getting sloppy and being exposed in QoS, all members and activities were eliminated. Bond is now searching for the organization that eliminated Quantum.
    RC7 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

It doesn't bother me. Quantum don't strike me as a threat than can be completely neutralised. Cut down one operative and two spring up in their place. There's nothing to say Haines and White weren't rounded up following the events of QoS. As it stands I don't think the loose ends are reason enough to warrant their return.

to my mind ,when it comes to slightly over the top stories - to evoke slightly over the top fears and emotions - organizations "that have people everywhere "are the way to go (as proven by countless Ludlum novels). An all present menace, many a beautiful lady in danger to be saved (and doubleosevened in the process ) and a hero given the opportunity to be heroic. I am quite surprised. For a Bond fan you show a remarkable lack of imagination.
  • RC7RC7
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

It doesn't bother me. Quantum don't strike me as a threat than can be completely neutralised. Cut down one operative and two spring up in their place. There's nothing to say Haines and White weren't rounded up following the events of QoS. As it stands I don't think the loose ends are reason enough to warrant their return.

to my mind ,when it comes to slightly over the top stories - to evoke slightly over the top fears and emotions - organizations "that have people everywhere "are the way to go (as proven by countless Ludlum novels). An all present menace, many a beautiful lady in danger to be saved (and doubleosevened in the process ) and a hero given the opportunity to be heroic. I am quite surprised. For a Bond fan you show a remarkable lack of imagination.

I'm not averse to the concept of Quantum, I'm merely stating that I'd rather something fresh. Bond movies work best as standalone films and I feel the omnipotent presence of Quantum is more suited to a television series, where they can be adequately constructed and deconstructed over a period of time. They will inevitably be wasted if they are restricted to one film every couple of years. So, no, not a lack of imagination. As someone who writes for television these are the kind of narrative considerations to bear in mind, but I guess you'd know that.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Quantum will take out Bond before Bond takes out Quantum, but SPECTRE could do it. A bit like the original idea for TSWLM. But save it for later, please.
    RC7 wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

I'm not averse to the concept of Quantum, I'm merely stating that I'd rather something fresh. Bond movies work best as standalone films and I feel the omnipotent presence of Quantum is more suited to a television series, where they can be adequately constructed and deconstructed over a period of time. They will inevitably be wasted if they are restricted to one film every couple of years. So, no, not a lack of imagination. As someone who writes for television these are the kind of narrative considerations to bear in mind, but I guess you'd know that.

I dare say I know about just anything, that constitutes a great story (or even a good one for that matter - let alone the bad ones). That's why I was able to call Skyfalls script a truckload of crap from day one (and never had to falter). Talking about omnipotent organizations,there is a rumor going around that the Bond movies have made good experiences with them before,even that there is something "Flemingnesque" about them. Just thought I mention it.
  • RC7RC7
    edited March 2014 Posts: 10,512
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

I dare say I know about just anything, that constitutes a great story (or even a good one for that matter - let alone the bad ones). That's why I was able to call Skyfalls script a truckload of crap from day one (and never had to falter). Talking about omnipotent organizations,there is a rumor going around that the Bond movies have made good experiences with them before,even that there is something "Flemingnesque" about them. Just thought I mention it.

If your critiques of SF are anything to go by, you know very little about screenwriting. Especially how unbelievably difficult it is to put together a good one, never mind a great one. I've also criticised the screenplay of SF, namely its inherent logical flaws and inconsistencies. But its human story is unmistakably poignant and a lot of the dialogue is as good as anything in the canon. Given the amount of external pressure exerted on a franchise film such as SF, it did pretty well to maintain a level of authorship.