" Love a drive in the country don't you ?! " ....Each Bond's best bit of driving .

2

Comments

  • Posts: 19,339
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I would have liked it to if it wasn't for the CGI blades.

    Didn't know they used CGI blades. That's disappointing.

    I wasnt aware of that either,but i suppose i should have guessed,this was the Brosnan era after all.

  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Posts: 3,138
    It had to be done with cgi because anything that got so close would have been sent into the rotor blades if you look at it again the debris from the building that the bike leaps off just passes through the blades with no effect....
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded Dancing at midnight under the BeBop Moon
    edited February 2014 Posts: 11,772
    Of course they had to do it with CGI, for safety reasons I am sure, and it looked good. I love that entire sequence. I do love Craig's in Skyfall, too, though.

    I do think CGI is okay if done sparingly, when it makes sense to, and is well done.
  • Posts: 19,339
    Well the fact i never really gave it any thought proves it was CGI well used,so thumbs up in theory to that.

    Unlike *cough* the wave *cough* in DAD.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded Dancing at midnight under the BeBop Moon
    Posts: 11,772
    Oh heck yes, DAD is in its own category when it comes to bad CGI.
  • Posts: 19,339
    I think it's in its own category when it comes to a lot of things !!! he he.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Posts: 13,289
    This time though, CGI was not just used to remove a wire or two, it was used for the stunt itself. We are lead to believe a motorbike is jumping over a helicopter when in fact it is not, it's just the chassis.
  • Posts: 19,339
    Yes i see your point there @samuel001.
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    This time though, CGI was not just used to remove a wire or two, it was used for the stunt itself. We are lead to believe a motorbike is jumping over a helicopter when in fact it is not, it's just the chassis.

    They are still jumping from one roof to another. I think it's a good stunt either way.
    Mrcoggins wrote:
    It had to be done with cgi because anything that got so close would have been sent into the rotor blades if you look at it again the debris from the building that the bike leaps off just passes through the blades with no effect....

    That's a good point actually.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Posts: 13,289
    I agree, a great stunt but the helicopter wasn't needed. It shouldn't have been in that scene when Bond was jumping roofs.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 12,317
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I agree, a great stunt but the helicopter wasn't needed. It shouldn't have been in that scene when Bond was jumping roofs.

    It added some more danger to it and the CGI was convincing enough for people to think it was real (I never realised and I've seen the film quite a few times now), so I don't see the issue.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited February 2014 Posts: 13,289
    The issue for me is that we are presented with something and lead to believe it is happening when it is in fact a cheap CGI trick. Just like the plane business the film before and pipeline and icebergs yet to come.

    For what it's worth, it's also always struck me that it was not real and that CGI was involved.

    Jumping from one roof to another on that bike is a great enough stunt as it is, in my opinion. It should have been left at that.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 12,317
    I don't have a problem with CGI as long as it's convincing and there isn't too much of it. I think TND is a good example of this. It looks real, and there is still a real dangerous stunt, so I'm fine with it.

    The difference between that and the GE plane catching or the DAD tsunami surfing is that those are all CGI. There is no stunt, no danger and worst of all, it looks shit and unconvincing. It's just an actor in front of a green screen.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Posts: 6,353
    Samuel001 wrote:
    The issue for me is that we are presented with something and lead to believe it is happening when it is in fact a cheap CGI trick. Just like the plane business the film before and pipeline and icebergs yet to come.

    For what it's worth, it's also always struck me that it was not real and that CGI was involved.

    Jumping from one roof to another on that bike is a great enough stunt as it is, in my opinion. It should have been left at that.

    Same thing has happened in the Craig movies too, yet people seem to be able to ignore that. Craig's face imposed on to the stunt driver, and the glass being CGI added as the bikes move from the rooftop into the bazaar. It happens even more frequently now, in fact.
  • Bradford4Bradford4 Banned
    edited February 2014 Posts: 152
    Connery : DAF without question, takes real balls to pull of a narrow escape like that. (my favorite car stunt)
    Moore : FYEO
    Lazenby : Not much choice here, I like when he's approaching the beach in the opening of OHMSS. Some easy, breezy driving.
    Dalton : LTK truck chase- good driving Tim
    Brosnan : Goldeneye- wow, imagine having the power of a tank under your butt!
    Craig : Opening car chase (despite the lackluster editing)

  • Posts: 19,339
    The Bond films always prided themselves on daring stuntwork.
    As long as CGI is used sparingly compared to stunt driving or whatnot then im ok with it,but it must NOT overtake the stuntwork.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 12,317
    @barryt007 I agree. Something like the helicopter blades in TND is fine but the whole iceberg surfing bit in Die Another Day isn't, because it's not a real stunt.

    @CraigMooreOHMSS I think the worst example of this in the Craig films are the komodo dragons. Another stunt that was entirely CGI and that looked unconvincing. I thought the free fall in QOS was dodgy too.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Hotel Kali-Yuga
    Posts: 40,876
    SC-Aston chase around Auric Enterprises.
    GL-stock car race.
    RM-Citroen, but also Lotus chase in TSWLM.
    TD-Aston in Austria.
    PB-cannot think of any, sorry about that.
    DC-record flip with Aston.

    Aston Martin does well here.

  • edited February 2014 Posts: 11,175
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I would have liked it to if it wasn't for the CGI blades.

    Didn't know they used CGI blades. That's disappointing.

    Ohhh :( I thought that was a real stunt :( Ah well.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Posts: 6,353
    @barryt007 I agree. Something like the helicopter blades in TND is fine but the whole iceberg surfing bit in Die Another Day isn't, because it's not a real stunt.

    @CraigMooreOHMSS I think the worst example of this in the Craig films are the komodo dragons. Another stunt that was entirely CGI and that looked unconvincing. I thought the free fall in QOS was dodgy too.

    Agreed about the freefall. People seem to pick on the PTS stunt in GE but QOS is just as much an offender in terms of being realistic.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Posts: 11,259
    SC- Aston at Auric Enterprises, but I also like the bike chase under the truck and over the water in NSNA.
    GL- Bond and Tracy during the stock car race chase.
    RM- The 2CV is perhaps Moore's best driving, but I slightly prefer Bond in the Lotus evading Naomi.
    TD- Aston chase on ice. Brace yourself.
    PB- Bond and Zao on ice.
    DC- QOS PTS, love the 360 spin to free the car from the truck.
  • Posts: 19,339
    So how do you peeps feel the Rome car chase in SP fits in with the above chases ?
  • Posts: 11,175
    Not a massive fan of that chase tbh. Too much like a video game.

  • Posts: 1,052
    barryt007 wrote: »
    So how do you peeps feel the Rome car chase in SP fits in with the above chases ?

    Not sure you can really call it a chase, more like a lovely peaceful drive around a sleepy Rome at night time.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Hotel Kali-Yuga
    Posts: 40,876
    The SP car chase is very entertaining. It s the funniest in the Craig era for sure.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Posts: 9,021
    I love the SP car chase and it is a chase, no matter what some of us might think of it.

    It's edited with scenes of Moneypenny in her flat and of course the bridge in the middle of the sequence with the Fiat and the older driver that gives a hilarious performance.

    There are so many, very different kind of car chases in the series. Really none of them I would call bad or boring.

    My favourite of course is the Tank chase in GoldenEye. But if that doesn't count then it must be this one!

    <iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hzqGrJNCtZ4"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 2,105
    SP car chase is a thing of the old Bond's with all of it's humour. Guess that's why I like it.

    But my favorite car chase, which isn't a car chase per se, is fron Goldfinger, when Bond is trailing Auric Goldfinger. I love the scenery.
  • Posts: 19,339
    The fact Bond gets pissed off at all 009's equipment AND we get to see a private bit of Moneypenny's life makes the SP appealing to me...all things we can remember.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Not quite sure where I am, but my heart is definitely somewhere in Italy or San Marino
    Posts: 5,447
    Sean: Auric Enterprises
    George: PTS OHMSS
    Rog: Lotus chase Sardinia
    Tim: Aston vs. Czechoslovakian police
    Pierce: Aston vs. Jaguar in Iceland
    Dan: PTS QOS

  • Posts: 19,339
    Zukovsky had a Rolls-Royce and he got the bullet as well.

    Seems a Roller is not the best car to have if you are an ally of Bond's !!
Sign In or Register to comment.