V for Vendetta and the current global protests - can the film now be considered a great film?

edited February 2014 in General Movies & TV Posts: 2,782

I was one of the few who enjoyed the film. I'm reading the novel now. But at the time the film was panned. Can we now consider it as modern polemic that seeped into people's minds as the real world around them reflects the themes in film and the graphic novel?

I'm fascinated that this mask has taken off and has become a symbol for this current protests against government, banks and big business.

Will the meek inherit the earth?

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

OCCUPY SESAME STREET!!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    It was always considered a great film - by those who stand for something. It was panned by those too blind to see the world government's mind-controlling agendas, passing it off as political jargon, and the puppets who may or may not know exactly what's going on with this whole conditioning monetary/control system. One problem is many people don't want to believe the wool is being pulled over their eyes or they're too attached to that lifestyle. I was part of one of these protests last week in Australia, and it's great to hear so many people's thoughts regarding our future. Eventually the government will fall cause we are the 99%. The first step is the whole of society acknowledging the problem and the need for change. It's going to take time, but we'll get there.
  • The thing is we're all complicite. We listen to lies every 4 or 5 years and vote for the people we grow to hate. We work or buy the services of big business and what did we do about the banks, nothing, they even keep giving themselves 6 figure bonuses while people in England, yes England, are being given food parcels, because they can't afford to feed themselves or their children.

If we have another winter in the UK like we did last year, we will have thousands more people dying because they can't afford to heat their homes. It's a disgrace.

Govt needs to give out grants to better insulate our homes, encourage house builders to make solar tiles a must on every new build.

We need to encourage the local allotments to form coops to sell their naturally grown fruit and veg to the local communities at a fraction of the cost that supermarkets do.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-15062810
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    V For Vendetta was a phenomenal film in my opinion - maybe ahead of it's time?....

I'm tired of watching the country I love get driven into the ground by politicians too busy lining their own pockets - and i'm tired of watching my freedoms being eroded away under the guise of Safety and Liberty... I fear there is no hope anymore in electing any official who truly will make a difference for the greater good of the US and it's citizens.... it seems once those men come along, they either swept up in political mudslinging - or they get assassinated.
  • i always thought it was a great film, one of my faves
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    V For Vendetta was a phenomenal film in my opinion - maybe ahead of it's time?....

I'm tired of watching the country I love get driven into the ground by politicians too busy lining their own pockets - and i'm tired of watching my freedoms being eroded away under the guise of Safety and Liberty... I fear there is no hope anymore in electing any official who truly will make a difference for the greater good of the US and it's citizens.... it seems once those men come along, they either swept up in political mudslinging - or they get assassinated.

I Wholeheartedly agree haserot, the USA has been going downhill for far too long, but nobody in Washington seems to give a shit. The Republicans and Democrats are just as stupid as the other. None of them care, and if their not careful I could see the citizens sometime in the future take control. It we are pushed to the brink, I dont think we as citizens would let it fly without doing something about it. Politics fails!

I think I may just go re-watch this film, I remember it being a great piece.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---

I Wholeheartedly agree haserot, the USA has been going downhill for far too long, but nobody in Washington seems to give a shit. The Republicans and Democrats are just as stupid as the other. None of them care, and if their not careful I could see the citizens sometime in the future take control. It we are pushed to the brink, I dont think we as citizens would let it fly without doing something about it. Politics fails!

I think I may just go re-watch this film, I remember it being a great piece.
    George Washington may have been a prophet - in his words, he said 'the downfall of our government would be it being controlled by a 2 party system.' .................. look at what is happening now.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I for one would love to be apart of these protests. I'm fed up with how our old beliefs and freedoms have been flushed down the toilet. We need to group up, all the people of the US and the surrounding people fed up with politics, and storm Washington in massive crowds. Cover the streets, Capitol Hill, cramp in all the corrupt organizations full of smarky a#$%^&*@ who care only for their big fat check and their ranking in the political system, and who would sell their won family down the river if need be. We need to quit electing imbeciles to high power. People like George W. Bush who arrive, get freaking reelected after one of the biggest atrocities on the millenium, continue to put our country in ruin by ignoring the rights of the people and what needs to be done. We should have impeach that b#@$%^&;* along with Cheney, the one pulling his strings the full 8 years. These people embarrass our country by failing to have any focus on what is important. It is all about who is in office. Democrats or Republicans? Who cares you idiots! Get your heads out your a@#$% and focus on the real issues! Global warming, raising gas prices, and bring home the men and women who put their lives on the line in wars that only serve to profit the US no matter how many have to die. Step in and do something about the failing education system and job loss. The poor on the streets aren't dirt, politicians of America, some are hard working people that fight to feed their families and they don't need to shine your shoes! We need to rally together, get the honest politicians on our side. Good men who stand for what is good and just, not the sadistic narcissists who lack any understanding of their job for America and are too busy calling out gays and politicians from other political parties even though they secretly putt from the ruff and would change their beliefs if their own party was sinking in the water. Put some morals into the equation. We can't be run down by these people anymore. They get in office, do whatever they want. They don't care. They get their egos massaged and have a nice fat income every year they serve, and since they all have whips in place to make sure the "right"(corrupt) people are continuously reelected and further drive us into the water. When they retire the sods get to retire peacefully and fall off the face of the earth, getting book deals to tell their story, a story all the people smart enough to open their eyes to see. I am ashamed more times than not to be an American. We are in ruin, and no one thinks a thing about it. They will care, and soon. When this country is held by just a strand we'll see who the real men and women are. We will stand strong in the face of diversity while the politicians shrug their shoulders looking for ways to lie to us about what is really going on. There is no Democrats and Republicans. There is only suits and ties and fake smiles. I shudder to think what real men like Washington, Jefferson, Jackson, Lincoln, FDR, and Kennedy would say. These men all risked their lives to serve their country. Jefferson went against Britain and George III, committing treason along with all the signers of the Declaration of Independence. He saw that our liberties were disappearing and did something about it. Washington knew how to handle a risky situation and Jackson pledged to die with the union. Lincoln stayed strong through a war where we were against each other as a people. Kennedy along with Rob fought crime on a grand scale, and he knew the consequences of what could be coming. He lost his life and was killed by the very men in power he thought he could trust. You know it's true. FDR fought through both World Wars, and kept pushing with adversity. He died paralyzed neck down from polio, dying for his country as he fought and fought, withering away. How horrifying to think how they must've felt during their times in office. How could the worthless leaders we have today handle all those situations as those brave men did? More importantly, where have men like that gone? Have leaders lost their will to fight? I am further curious and ashamed to wonder what Washington and all the few great men we've had in office would think of us today as a country. All that they gave to restore our freedoms and make us equal has disintegrated like the very dirt beneath the feet of our s#$% leaders. I for one can not see living in this world without doing something about it. I want to be proud to be a America, where at least I know I'm free, and I feel neither of those.
  • My word, so passionate, I wish the silent majority shared your passion and stopped being so passive. It's true we can all make a difference, we've got to be more pro-active, more diligent and more gutsy. We've got to use the one thing we have that the powers that be fear, our vote. If we stop being brainwashed by the media and being seduced by headline grabbing lines by our politicians we can make a difference.

I'm fed up of being passive and I'll do my bit. Whatever I can offer, I'm going to do it.
    edited October 2011 Posts: 4,399
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7

Hear hear!

Want to know something else disgusting? Politicians in this country don't pay any taxes - none - whatsoever... ain't that a b!@#$ ?? - not to mention, all they have to do is serve 1 term in political office, to receive that same yearly salary FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES! - not only that, but they get standard of living increases on top of that!..... but we as a country have to pay and pay and pay - living paycheck to paycheck.... i would love to see some of these out of touch politicians have to live like the majority of americans - they would blow their brains out...

I am honestly shocked there hasn't been a massive upheaval from citizens yet.... but i guess we are all too fat, lazy, and medicated to do anything...... but.... one day - it will come, i am almost sure of it

as V said... "People shouldn't be afraid of their governments.. Governments should be afraid of their people."
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

as V said... "People shouldn't be afraid of their governments.. Governments should be afraid of their people."
    That is the motto of our fight.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited October 2011 Posts: 2,629
    I thought V for Vendetta was good film at the time, and still think it's a good film seeing it a couple times since (including just last week). I think the book is better though.

Loved seeing some of the protesters wearing the Guy Falke masks.

Favorite quote from the film: "If you're looking for the guilty, you only need to look in the mirror."
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon

That is the motto of our fight.
    Absolutely!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Watching this now. Rather good, with a few Bond references (I think) I've noticed so far.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited February 2014 Posts: 17,691
    I love the movie more each time I see it. It's powerful stuff. I am frankly surprised it got made. Kudos to all involved.

vendetta.jpg
    chrisisall wrote:
    I love the movie more each time I see it. It's powerful stuff. I am frankly surprised it got made. Kudos to all involved.

vendetta.jpg

Why be surprised - we in the UK still live in democracy believe it or not and this film is ironically as good evidence for that fact as there is.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    we in the UK still live in democracy
    I guess I was referring to my country, not yours. We have a Corpmocracy.
    :))
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 7,653
    The movie is still so-so, and as to the uprising in the Ukraine we have seen this happen a lot in recent years, civilians vs the goverment, and it sadly never ends well for the civilians. Look at Egypt or Syria...............

My heart goes out to the people of Ukraine.
    edited February 2014 Posts: 17,830
    SaintMark wrote:
    The movie is still so-so, and as to the uprising in the Ukraine we have seen this happen a lot in recent years, civilions vs the goverment, and it sadly never ends well for the civilions. Look at Egypt or Syria...............

My heart goes out to the people of Ukraine.

Indeed, it sadly never does. Too many people still too much interested in The X Factor or its overseas equivalents to truly care what goes on in their name.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    we in the UK still live in democracy
    I guess I was referring to my country, not yours. We have a Corpmocracy.
    :))

Yes, I think the UK is more of a Land of the Free than is the US currently. That's my view at least.
    I thought V for Vendetta a rather trite film. I didn't even find it terribly entertaining and I lap all this popcorn stuff up and enjoy most of it.
    V though in on my meh list and thats being kind.
    timmer wrote:
    I thought V for Vendetta a rather trite film.

Is that because it clashes with your political beliefs? I personally don't love the old Red Dawn for that reason, but I can't deny that it was a powerful film, and that I enjoyed it on that level. I just can't see calling a film like V For Vendetta 'trite'.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 4,622
    I really can't find any political beliefs in V. My political beliefs are small "c" conservative.
    I didn't find this film radically liberal or sensibly conservative in any overt way.
    But it was too obvious the film was trying to say something, but IMO nothing very interesting. Sneaky that way though, as people can thenmake it say things and suddenly its so very profound.
    Trite works though. I did find the film pretentious, thus tedious. I only watched it once. Didn't interest me to watch it again.
    Had some good action and fights and it was well dressed with a funky little vibe.
    timmer wrote:
    I did find the film pretentious, thus tedious.
    Well, I find many films pretentious, but I prefer pretentious to mindless.
    ;)
    edited February 2014 Posts: 17,830
    Having now watched it in full, I was a little surprised by how subversive it was to the old political elites, even if the Conservatives (or the fascist variant of it) were the villains of the piece. It was all a bit like 1984, too. I suppose no piece of art is entirely original, though. I'd certainly recommend it for watching and re-watching, though.
  • ManOftheLAWManOftheLAW Banned
    Such a well made film and such a message to the bad guys out there in the world. It will be a famous movie one day.

God Willing they will be brought to justice.
    Such a well made film and such a message to the bad guys out there in the world. It will be a famous movie one day.

God Willing they will be brought to justice.
    That was a good message. Its always good stick it to the totalitarian types. Bastards!

• Dragonpol wrote:
    Too many people still too much interested in The X Factor or its overseas equivalents to truly care what goes on in their name.

What, you got a problem with Mulder & Scully?
    (Hm, that was the X-Files? Nevermind...)

What, you got a problem w/ Marvel's Merry Melange of Mutants?

;)

But honestly, it's good to see this topic existed so long ago & nice to see it resurface. As someone who was distributing Warrior magazine in the US back when Alan Moore was nowhere near the household name he is today--hey, I've lived in some pretty strange households--I've always been a huge fan of VforV, and think the movie itself is something quite special, if only because the writer of the source material publicly divorced himself from the film basically as a protest against the corporation that had acquired it. (Yes, I know that this is a gross simplification of a very complicated legal situation-- but I think it at least emotionally accurate.)