Bond's Survival in Miami - "GOLDFINGER"

edited February 2014 in Bond Movies Posts: 533
Why did Oddjob spare Bond's life in Miami? Instead of killing the British agent, he knocked the latter unconscious and killed Jill Masterson. Considering that Bond had cost Goldfinger some money by interfering in the latter's poker game, why was he spared?

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Because it would have made for a very short movie and the end of the Bond film series. ;)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited February 2014 Posts: 13,879
    Because it just wouldn't seem right having Connery covered in gold paint.
  • I always thought that Goldfinger knew Bond was a spy and so to avoid MI6 catching onto him, he spared Bond, but left Jill's body as a warning. Then MI6 sent Bond to investigate him anyway so it was pointless.
    I don't think Goldfinger knew who Bond was, but Jill is the one who had betrayed him, not Bond. He punished Jill and sent Bond a warning, as taking further action not knowing yet who he was would have been careless and potentially harmful. It is only when he meets Bond again that he knows someone is on to him.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited February 2014 Posts: 7,314
    Ludovico wrote:
    I don't think Goldfinger knew who Bond was, but Jill is the one who had betrayed him, not Bond. He punished Jill and sent Bond a warning, as taking further action not knowing yet who he was would have been careless and potentially harmful. It is only when he meets Bond again that he knows someone is on to him.
    I agree. I would also add that Goldfinger was really pissed off at Bond for humiliating him and wanted to make him suffer.
  • Ludovico wrote:

That's plausible. In real life, of course, Oddjob would have just gone in there and shot them both. Wouldn't have made for a very good movie though.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
This discussion has been closed.