Spying Is Duller Than Bond (BBC News article)

edited January 2014 in News Posts: 6,396
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25979768

Really? Because that's just come as a total shock to me. I always assumed that real life spies behaved EXACTLY like Bond.

Think this can be filed under "Slow News Day". X_X

Comments

• Dragonpol2Dragonpol2 The Crazy World of Daniel Dragonpol
    There was also a piece in Times2 today by Ben Macintyre on Ian Fleming not being like James Bond, so perhaps it's catching.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I'm in shock & awe...

*throws out Bond DVD's*
    chrisisall wrote:
    I'm in shock & awe...

*throws out Bond DVD's*

I know what you mean, 30 years wasted for nothing! ;-)
    I know what you mean, 30 years wasted for nothing! ;-)
    So, being a secret agent is as cool as, umm.... doing security for WallMart-?
    Wow. The world is not like I saw it when I was 12.
  • Shocking.

Positively shocking.
    :)) :)>-
  • This is earth-shattering news. I don't know what to believe anymore. Next thing you know I'll find out that police work isn't nearly as action packed as what is shown to us on TV and movies.
    Next thing you know I'll find out that police work isn't nearly as action packed as what is shown to us on TV and movies.
    "This week a scam involving fake Leonard Nimoy autographs from TJ Hooker stills was uncovered and resulted in many deaths of the perps..."

• pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    This guy is obviously just trying to cover up the truth. No one actually saw him arrive to the interview because he has an invisible car parked outside.
    Noooooo! That's my new career choice gone up in smoke then!!! :((
    Lets also bear in mind that most of the time Bond's life was pretty mundane. In Moonraker Fleming talks about how Bond usually just spends his day filling out paperwork and eating in the staff canteen.
    True. Fleming knew espionage was not glamorous. That said, true espionage is still a fascinating subject.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Its probably fair to say that Fleming's Bond still went through more exciting and improbable adventures than the average spy would in reality.

In Fleming's own words his novels were "high flown, romanticised caricatures".