'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• Sorry if I offended you or anything but I honestly didn't understand most of your criticisms. It's great to have your own opinion on stuff (if we all had the same opinions it'd be boring), but be prepared to back your opinion up.

I could say that in my opinion, Die Another Day is by far the best Bond film ever made or that Alex Ferguson was the worst thing to ever happen to Man United. However, these opinions would mean f**k all if I couldn't back them up.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I was asked why I thought The Time of the Doctor was atrocious, and I have explained why. And I have been immediately jumped on by voicing my opinion, so as Nic Nac has said, I'll back out.

I said that?
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Oh yes, I see. I did sort of say that :-)
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 7,653
    I could say that in my opinion, Die Another Day is by far the best Bond film ever made or that Alex Ferguson was the worst thing to ever happen to Man United. However, these opinions would mean f**k all if I couldn't back them up.

He did back up his critism and you disagreed with him, that does not make you right and him wrong.

You are actually both right.

I found the final episode of MS a dissapointment too it lacked for me the brilliance and fun that the 50th anniversary episode, including Paul McGanns episode, and the drama Adventures in time and Space about the making of DW had.
    For me it felt like crossing of a list of what needed to be resolved, it wanted to be epic but became shallower by the minute for me. My daughters did watch the previous Christmas episodes on Syfy and found them more fun and enjoyable, I agree. For a Christmas episode it was way too serial orientated when the previous years were always a stand alone episode. In that sense I would have enjoyed it more if it had been PC's 1st outing instead of MS last.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Dalton12 wrote:
    FEATURE: DOCTOR WHO Infographic Features The First And Last Lines Of Every Doctor
    Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/starksnewsandreviews/news/?a=92606#Mm17Fkj38psgmJ6p.99

"Timing malfunction! The Master, he's out there! He's out there... I've got to stop... him..."

That's better than "AAARRGHHH......" which is what The 7th Doctor is more likely to be remembered for (when it comes to final words).

• A few people on Twitter are saying the clockwork robots (from one of the David Tennant episodes that Moffat wrote) will be the villains of the first episode. Guessing they'll probably look very different this time though, depending on the setting.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    There's also a rumour going around about The Master, and whom might play him.

tell me........... we have probably another 8 months to go before the next episode which makes gossiping about it the only fun there is.
    SaintMark wrote:

tell me........... we have probably another 8 months to go before the next episode which makes gossiping about it the only fun there is.
    Charles Dance.

Not my first choice, but the more I think about such casting, the more the I can see it working.
    I miss the original guy who played the master: Roger Delgado
    Delgado was a great Master, but my favourite is Anthony Ainley.

both were great, the derek Jacabi Master was acceptabel, as he is a great actorm but the young lad from "life on Mars" was not my cup of tea.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 12,837
    I hope the rumours about The Master aren't true. Why do we need a new Master? Why can't John Simm come back? Yeah he was a bit OTT last time he was in it but I think that was the scripts fault more than anything and he's a brilliant actor, I'm sure he could play it differently.

If he's not up for it then fair enough but I don't them to replace him if he's willing to come back.
    edited January 2014 Posts: 13,894
    SaintMark wrote:

both were great, the derek Jacabi Master was acceptabel, as he is a great actorm but the young lad from "life on Mars" was not my cup of tea.

I thought that Jacobi's Master was too hammy; "The Master.... REBORN". Simm was a little better, but his Master went all chav at the end.
    I hope the rumours about The Master aren't true. Why do we need a new Master? Why can't John Simm come back? Yeah he was a bit OTT last time he was in it but I think that was the scripts fault more than anything and he's a brilliant actor, I'm sure he could play it differently.

If he's not up for it then fair enough but I don't them to replace him if he's willing to come back.

Simm's Master would be too lite for Capaldi's Doctor, so I'm all for a new Master.
    The word is that if the master comes back..
    Simm will return to hand over the roll with a regeneration in a similar manor to how McCoy handed over to McGann in 1996. (this has got to be the most dubious thing ever put in a spoiler box)
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited January 2014 Posts: 5,080
    Very much looking forward to a Master regeneration scenario.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 5,818
    Time to give Jonathan Pryce another occasion to play the renegade Time Lord, methinks. That, or the Meddling Monk.

Oh, and Lara Pulver as the Rani.
  • Gerard wrote:
    Time to give Jonathan Pryce another occasion to play the renegade Time Lord, methinks. That, or the Meddling Monk.

Pryce is 66. I'm sure it would be better to have a younger counterpart to the older doctor, vice versa to kick things up.

Gerard wrote:

I'd like to see The Rani return, with Gillian Anderson in the role.

Gerard wrote:

Scully as The Rani...
    I'm in

;)
    ohfilms1 wrote:
    Gerard wrote:

Scully as The Rani...
    I'm in

;)

I would be happy with either of those ladies in the role! :x
  • Didn't The Master become a good guy in the end? I remember him saving The Doctor and killing Timothy Dalton, so it'd be interesting to see how they make him a baddy again, if he does return.

Simm's Master would be too lite for Capaldi's Doctor, so I'm all for a new Master.

Not necessarily. Depends on the script and how he decides to play it.
    ohfilms1 wrote:

Hmm, kind of reminds of another petition that a few sad people tried, unsuccessfully, in 2005....
    ohfilms1 wrote:

Hmm, kind of reminds of another petition that a few sad people tried, unsuccessfully, in 2005....

But Moffat has been a good producer (imo). I don't have any problem with the way he has run the show, but in order to keep the show fresh, a new producer should be brought on for 2015.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 12,837
    ohfilms1 wrote:

I think I understand (and disagree with) the sexism complaints but how is he meant to be racist?

Anyway, don't know why these saddos bother. No matter how much they bitch and moan, the show continues to be very successful under Moffat and as long as it continues to be successful (and there's really no reason why it shouldn't), his time as showrunner won't end until he decides it's time to step down. And he's not going to listen to a couple of angry fanboys when the vast majority like what he's doing.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 1,107
    I now its fan made but This is really cool. I love the basic concept of the Time Vortex visualized as clockwork.

or this:

I like this one...

Though I suspect that, like the Series 5 titles, it might be a controversial choice.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Week four of filming begins and we finally get to see the Doctor's new look:

capaldi-series-8-costume.jpg

The Doctor has a new look as Peter Capaldi’s era officially begins. In a picture released today by the BBC, Capaldi can be seen in the costume that will define his time as the Twelfth Time Lord in one of TV’s biggest roles. Sporting a dark blue Crombie coat with red lining, dark blue trousers, a white shirt as well as black Dr. Marten shoes, the look was created by Doctor Who costume designer Howard Burden.

Commenting on his costume, Peter Capaldi said: “He's woven the future from the cloth of the past. Simple, stark, and back to basics. No frills, no scarf, no messing, just 100 per cent Rebel Time Lord.” While lead writer and executive producer Steven Moffat added: “New Doctor, new era, and of course new clothes. Monsters of the universe, the vacation is over - Capaldi is suited and booted and coming to get you!”

Filming for episode one of series 8 began earlier this month, after 10.2 million tuned-in on Christmas Day to get their first much-anticipated glimpse of Capaldi’s Doctor. Charlotte Moore, Controller of BBC One, commented: "Peter Capaldi's Doctor is officially recorded in history today with the unveiling of his new costume. It's sharp, smart and stylish - The Twelfth Time Lord means business."
    edited January 2014 Posts: 13,894
    I'm not sure why (as there are no frills), but it reminds me of Pertwee. I think a tie or cravat is needed.