Nudity in The Living Daylights

Comments

• Benny wrote:
    Coldfinger wrote:
    What about that scene in Dr.No where Bond and Honey are leaving the shower? Looks like Honey is showing a bit of skin there as well. Swear I saw a boob in that shot. I may have to do some 'research' on that later. :-p

Sorry to tell you...

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m5N2PBTClIR2qj3wKwKeohA.jpg

http://blog.joins.com/usr/f/i/fivecard/14/UrsulaAndress_DRNO_shower_with_bodysuit.jpg

Not naked.

You have crushed my dreams sir.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Benny wrote:
    Coldfinger wrote:
    What about that scene in Dr.No where Bond and Honey are leaving the shower? Looks like Honey is showing a bit of skin there as well. Swear I saw a boob in that shot. I may have to do some 'research' on that later. :-p

Sorry to tell you...

http://blog.joins.com/usr/f/i/fivecard/14/UrsulaAndress_DRNO_shower_with_bodysuit.jpg

Not naked.

Back in the day on VHS you could convince yourself on that one but bluray exposes the truth.

Mind you bluray shows up Lisl's 'nightie slipping' better than VHS ever did so swings and roundabouts.

Then there's the nude scene of Tatiana Romonova slipping into Bond's bed in his hotel room in FRWL. Quality. Only recently noticed how clear things were on DVD.

Too bad it wasn't Daniela Bianchi. It was a body double.

It wasn't? You're ruined my fantasy! Are you sure?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I had to check out this thread, because over 300 comments on nudity in TLD seemed absolutely absurd. Change the title perhaps?
    I had to check out this thread, because over 300 comments on nudity in TLD seemed absolutely absurd. Change the title perhaps?

Yes, I guess you could say that things escalated fast...
    Dragonpol wrote:

Indeed, still better than ejaculated fast though.

If I want to see nudeness I must admit I do not consider the Bondfranchise as the place to go too.

SaintMark wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

If I want to see nudeness I must admit I do not consider the Bondfranchise as the place to go too.

No, the nude moments are (tastefully) few and far between in the Bond films.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

They give the impression of nudity while there is none, the movies are actually quite tame when it comes to sexuality. There is more 007 the lad who is pulling the ladies.

SaintMark wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

They give the impression of nudity while there is none, the movies are actually quite tame when it comes to sexuality. There is more 007 the lad who is pulling the ladies.

Yes, and I genuinely think that that's the way it should be. Do you agree?
    Dragonpol wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

Indeed, So I love the great Sir Roger Moore when the lad decided that the chicklet from FYEO was too young for his taste. It showed that he still has class and style even if he is a bit of a lad. And I hope that Mendes does give Craig a bit more style and class back in the next movie.

SaintMark wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

Indeed, So I love the great Sir Roger Moore when the lad decided that the chicklet from FYEO was too young for his taste. It showed that he still has class and style even if he is a bit of a lad. And I hope that Mendes does give Craig a bit more style and class back in the next movie.

Well, with any luck, Craig should be graduated to full "James Bond" status by Bond 24.
  • Jarrod wrote:
    @timmer That' not true. Five or more people have come on this thread to say they have seen the scene.

In case you care here is the VHS version of the scene. This one here is missing the black speckles on Virginia Hey, but they seem to appear on the henchman this time. I don't think it's crazy to assume that these both have different/ strange edits.

Here is a slow motion comparison of the two slightly different cuts:

This is such a fantastic scene and such a change of pace from what audiences in 1987 had seen from the Bond character before. The only thing letting this scene down is the staging. The heavy simply falls over on the chair and it collapses and Dalton's hit clearly misses. Good direction and editing could have this great moment into an amazing one.

This thread is fantastic. I love the Dalton GQ cover.
    Coldfinger wrote:
    Benny wrote:
    Coldfinger wrote:

Sorry to tell you...

Not naked.

Ursula Andress was naked in a few bad Italian movies.
    Jarrod wrote:
    If I'm wrong, why does the edit look so weird? Why does it stall on the bodyguard's expression? In the version I just watched at MOMA on Saturday, the edit was even stranger. The U.S. may have gotten a different version, I don't know. I wasn't at the London Premiere, but I can tell you that in Sacramento, California on July 31st, the version they were showing had the full on nude scene. You can either take my word on it, or not. But 2 Sacramento critics rated The Living Daylights PG for violence and brief nudity. Also, I've seen this kind of edit before with the 80s film Dreamscape (1984), which was one of the earliest PG-13 films released, and had a brief sex scene in it. When PG-13 was first issued as a rating, it was a little edgier than it is today (which is just pretty much a glorified PG rating). When I recently watched that film on DVD, I noticed that film too, had been cut a bit from the original version. Retroactive editing is not unheard of. As for full on breast shots in PG films, you can see this in the horror film Patrick (1978), Force 10 From Naverone (1978), another Timothy Dalton film called Permission To Kill (1975), the comedy Airplane (1980) (also has a flash edit of boobs) and The Woman In Red (1984). In any case, nudity in a PG movie is not unheard of. I just think it being a Bond film which had a history of being PG, probably was granted some leniency at first, but then then maybe they changed their mind.

although the bond films have always been ground breaking there has never been a full frontal breast shot in any of them without some sort of obstruction... i watched the film at the cinema and have watched it 100's of times since the only time you get some sort of view is when TD actually rips the top away and she very quickly covers herself .. pierce brosnan in the making of Goldeneye states that the editing is very careful because it's a bond film you can't show a breast when talking about his fight with onatopp in the massage room "no more foreplay" scene. but he said as an actor you look... in TLD you get a full frontal of bare shoulders and her face but no lower than that.
    edited December 2013 Posts: 17,799
    Ludovico wrote:
    Coldfinger wrote:
    Benny wrote:
    Coldfinger wrote:

Sorry to tell you...

Not naked.

Ursula Andress was naked in a few bad Italian movies.

There's a photo of that in The Essential Bond (1997, 1999) too. I've seen Andress in one of those movies, being sacrificed - pretty demeaning stuff for the girl who emerged from the sea in Dr. No.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    In DAF when Connery's choking Marie with her bikini, you see her breast, complete with nipple but she covers up quickly; still, more than enough time to see it.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    doubleoego wrote:
    In DAF when Connery's choking Marie with her bikini, you see her breast, complete with nipple but she covers up quickly; still, more than enough time to see it.

Don't you need to overwork the pause button for that? ;-)
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    DarthDimi wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:

Don't you need to overwork the pause button for that? ;-)

It's only there for one frame but it is clearly visible. Or so I'm told.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I think some of our members' pause buttons have broken over the years, due to overuse or being pushed too violently and repeatedly. What do you think? ;)
    I think that anyone who goes hunting for breasts in Bond films, needs to learn about certain possibilities of the Internet... ;-)
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I think some of our members' pause buttons have broken over the years, due to overuse or being pushed too violently and repeatedly. What do you think? ;)

You can never even comprehend the frustration and difficulty of pausing VHS tapes at the exact frame. Praise The Lord for DVDs meaning today's adolescent Bond fans will never need to suffer my pain in trying to capture that elusive nipple.
    I hope my girlfriend never learns about the habits of my generation in the first half of the nineties, when the VCR secretly recorded stuff at night, or when the freezing of a certain frame felt like a punishable crime... ;-)
    edited December 2013 Posts: 12,459
    Well VCRs had a mind of their own then, and the pause button often became stuck at the strangest times. We all understand, Dimi.

Mine seemed to stick a good deal when there was a closeup of Roger or Timothy. Hmm. And also Pierce's brief outdoor shower with Wai Lin. Well, suffice to say I think I could come up with a few more. ;)
    Hey @Jarrod I think I found it! =))

deleted.jpg?t=1353020178
    I remember that one. Later in Afghanistan 2 men were naked when the Bull dozer went through while they were having their shower that funny. That all there was in The Living Daylights
    I saying in other Bond movies starting from Russia with LoveBeside Bond there has been a lot Nudity. Remember Roger Moore era in the end he goes to bed with girl in anywhere.

I think you've been listening to too many Robbie Williams songs, dear @4EverBonded!
    Robbie Williams: Alas, I don't even know his songs. I don't know, or get the chance easily, to listen to UK music. I heard part of one song, "Angel" (I think) years ago when I was in America, probably on BBCAmerica. I loved it. I may have to actually buy one of his cds; thanks for making me think of that.
    edited December 2013 Posts: 17,799
    Robbie Williams: Alas, I don't even know his songs. I don't know, or get the chance easily, to listen to UK music. I heard part of one song, "Angel" (I think) years ago when I was in America, probably on BBCAmerica. I loved it. I may have to actually buy one of his cds; thanks for making me think of that.

This is the song I was referring to, Strong, with the lyric "the pause button's broke on my video":

Bond connection here:

Angels:

Thanks! I'll really enjoy thee video clips! :-bd
    Thanks! I'll really enjoy thee video clips! :-bd

My pleasure. I'm not a big fan, but he's easily the best pop musician Britain has thrown up in the current era.
  • I saw this in the cinema in the UK five times in 1987, it was the start of my love for Bond. I'm certain that if, aged 13, I'd seen a front-on shot of a topless woman in a PG film that (A) I'd never have forgotten it and (B) I'd have found excuses to see the film again, certainly more than only five times...

The shot of Hey was, back then, exactly as it is now, shoulders up only.
    In fact, here is the scene from the work print, stolen during post-production. This work print is full of little scenes and shots with extra frames. This scene, however, is not one of them. It looks exactly as it does in the final film bar a few extra glances from Hey to Dalton.

See the work print clip here

I can't imagine that Eon would add more boobs to a scene after the rough cut, leave the boobs in for the Royal premiere and the first few days of release for some lucky young boys to see, and then, at great expense, withdrawl and replace all prints with the boobless print we now all own, a procedure which would cost thousands and disrupt the showings of the movies across the country.
    I cannot help but assume this is simply being remembered wrong by the original poster. I wish this wasn't the case and I'm eager to be proven wrong as I want to see her boobs as much as the next man...
  • On the subject of getting Bond wrong (as Alan Partridge would say), as a kid, I swore I'd seen a Bond film where Roger Moore wakes up, thinking he's dead, in a conservatory surrounded by statues of angels.
    I could only only assume it was me getting confused over who played Bond in Diamonds Are Forever (which has a similar scene with Connery meeting 'St. Peter') until I found out it was almost certainly an episode of The Saint (a monochrome one at that). I simply remembered it differently.

I also had a friend at school who swore blind that there was a Bond film called The Man With The Golden Finger and it took me bringing a book in from home to convince him otherwise.
This discussion has been closed.