The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• RC7RC7
    I still think the reason Goldfinger didn't kill Bond with the laser is yet to be explained. Either that or I'm being mega thick.

The latter. Sorry.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Bond told Goldfinger that he knew what Operation: Grandslam was. He was bluffing, of course, and Goldfinger suspected it, but he knew that if Bond were telling the truth and if he were to be killed, MI6 would panic and set every agent on them. Even if Bond were telling the truth about Operation: Grandslam, MI6 would assume he was on the case if he didn't fail to report.

It still doesn't make much sense to me.

Goldfinger doesn't make Bond fake a report to Mi6 saying that Goldfinger is clean. Instead he keeps Bond prisoner making it impossible for him to report, he may have well just killed him when he had the chance.

I still think the reason Goldfinger didn't kill Bond with the laser is yet to be explained. Either that or I'm being mega thick.

But Felix and his boys were still there, and they would have known if Bond died as they kept tabs on Goldfinger's ranch in Kentucky where 007, Pussy and the rest of his guys were.
    I have a question in the novel CR Le Chiffe is killed by a SMERSH Agent, but in the film it was a QUANTUM agent. So why couldnt they used the name SMERSH? Was SMERSH owned by Kevin Mclory as well?
    fjdinardo wrote:
    I have a question in the novel CR Le Chiffe is killed by a SMERSH Agent, but in the film it was a QUANTUM agent. So why couldnt they used the name SMERSH? Was SMERSH owned by Kevin Mclory as well?

Is that supposed to be sarcasm?
  • RC7RC7
    edited November 2013 Posts: 10,512
    fjdinardo wrote:

:D

fjdinardo wrote:

no
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    fjdinardo wrote:

First of all, it was Mr. White whom killed Le Chiffre in the film. For the second, why would SMERSH have anything to do with the movie version. As Puskin said in TLD: "It was a Beria operation under Stalins time
    With other words, no McClory didn't own the rights to SMERSH because that was a real section of the Soviet Red Army during the 1940's . It was later disbanded in 1946 and KGB took over it's duties again.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 6,396
    fjdinardo wrote:
    fjdinardo wrote:

no

Then your question is quite worrying. SMERSH was the (fictional) name for Soviet intelligence. Given that the Soviet state was broken up when the Berlin Wall came down and thus effectively ending communism, SMERSH became a defunct institution.

I thought that the obvious reason why the Soviets didn't appear as the villains in CR. They no longer exist.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    fjdinardo wrote:
    fjdinardo wrote:

no

Then your question is quite worrying. SMERSH was the (fictional) name for Soviet intelligence. Given that the Soviet state was broken up when the Berlin Wall came down and thus effectively ending communism, SMERSH became a defunct institution.

I thought that the obvious reason why the Soviets didn't appear as the villains in CR. They no longer exist.

Jesus. Is the level we are at nowadays? Try reading a history book, or at least some Fleming.
    fjdinardo wrote:
    fjdinardo wrote:

no

Jesus. Is the level we are at nowadays? Try reading a history book, or at least some Fleming.

lol I undertand now lol. I feel like an idiot
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Why did they pick DAF as the follow-up to OHMSS?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    echo wrote:

To punish us horribly, I can only assume. I believe EON weren't happy with OHMSS's overall commercial performance and thought the franchise needed a change of course that included drawing Sir Sean back in.
    echo wrote:

To punish us horribly, I can only assume. I believe EON weren't happy with OHMSS's overall commercial performance and thought the franchise needed a change of course that included drawing Sir Sean back in.

What he said.

One can only assume that EON considered we'd never had it so good with the first 6 films, so they deemed it appropriate to give us an absolute stinker for number 7.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    echo wrote:

What he said.

One can only assume that EON considered we'd never had it so good with the first 6 films, so they deemed it appropriate to give us an absolute stinker for number 7.

I'm curious about this one because they chose the title before OHMSS' release and the eventual change in tone of DAF.

Of the choices they had (assuming they weren't yet looking toward the short stories): LALD, MR, DAF, and TMWTGG, I probably would have chosen TMWTGG.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    echo wrote:

Because DAF takes place in USA. As did GF. And the producers wanted to bring back the Goldfinger-sense if style again, hence their choice of DAF.
  • Bradford4Bradford4 Banned
    I have heard a persisting rumor that the pool scene in FYEO contains actual real life prostitutes among the women, and that one of these was actually a HE! Is there any truth to this?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    One of them was a he but had a sex change. It's mentioned in the For Your Eyes Only documentary.
    I have not seen the docu but nevertheless find meself a bit appalled that that kind of thing would happen on set, prostitutes. I hope Sir Rog did not partake of that filth.

Another question. Maybe on bluray its easier to see but on dvd in MWTGG did Bond suffocate or murder Nick Nack at the end, because he isn't moving a bit when it shows him up in the mast.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Bradford4 wrote:
    I have heard a persisting rumor that the pool scene in FYEO contains actual real life prostitutes among the women, and that one of these was actually a HE! Is there any truth to this?

They weren't real prostitutes. They were models. But maybe this will answer your question.

http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/history_transsexual_bond_girl.php3
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited December 2013 Posts: 14,037
    Bradford4 wrote:
    Another question. Maybe on bluray its easier to see but on dvd in MWTGG did Bond suffocate or murder Nick Nack at the end, because he isn't moving a bit when it shows him up in the mast.
    Why would Bond kill Nick Nack then lock him in the cage, as opposed to just throwing his corpse overboard?
    As a grim reminder to any foes of Queen and country. I thought this was made implicit.
    @Bradford4, he didn't kill Nick Nack. There is an off camera scene where Nick Nack tells Bond to let him out.

Nick Nack: "Let me out you big Bully!"
    Bond: "Shutup."

Then it shows a disappointed looking Nick Nack hung up in a basket.
    Hi Murdock, i do remember that brief off camera exchange. My thinking was that Bond let him out, strangled him maybe, and then put him back in to the basket and hung him up. He simply isn't moving when he's up in the basket. I felt the director was putting a punctuation mark at the end of the film, a way of saying "THIS is what happens when you try and kill James Bond."
    He's definitely alive and just upset. He's clinging onto the ropes of the basket himself.
  • I have one worthy of pondering:

Why do any of the characters do anything they do in CR67?
    Did Blofeld actually cure the Angels of Death of their allergies using a medicine or was it just through hypnosis?
  • Murdock wrote:
    Did Blofeld actually cure the Angels of Death of their allergies using a medicine or was it just through hypnosis?

@Murdock I'm pretty sure there was medicine involved. When Bond is in bed with Ruby and the hypnosis comes on, she says "its part of the cure." I always took that as meaning it was only a portion of the cure and not the whole thing. Also in the initial meeting with Blofeld Bond inquires about the labs and Blofeld tells him "the cure is not entirely psychological." I mean, they were making Virus Omega there too, but then Blofeld also references having caused a foot-and-mouth outbreak last year with the Virus Omega, which would mean that they'd already had a less-powerful version for a year, so they didn't have to create the virus from scratch while the Angels were there; so i think they would have had time to create medicines for the girls to use.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Now I'm not going to bag one of the greatest Bond films of all time too much. But on my recent viewing of OHMSS I did notice that Bond and Mi6 could've saved themselves a lot of time. Even the loss of Tracy.
    When Bond is coping the correspondence between Gumbold and Blofeld the address of Piz Gloria is attached to one of the letters.
    http://screenmusings.org/OnHerMajestysSecretService/pages/On-Her-Majestys-Secret-Service-0423.htm

Why do Bond and Mi6 fail to follow up on this, rather obvious piece of information?

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Interesting observation, @Benny! A short slip-up in the otherwise nearly perfect script? ;-)
  • Benny wrote:
    Now I'm not going to bag one of the greatest Bond films of all time too much. But on my recent viewing of OHMSS I did notice that Bond and Mi6 could've saved themselves a lot of time. Even the loss of Tracy.
    When Bond is coping the correspondence between Gumbold and Blofeld the address of Piz Gloria is attached to one of the letters.
    http://screenmusings.org/OnHerMajestysSecretService/pages/On-Her-Majestys-Secret-Service-0423.htm

Why do Bond and Mi6 fail to follow up on this, rather obvious piece of information?

An interesting point @Benny, but you forget that the problem was not finding where Blofeld was, it was getting him out of Switzerland so he could be arrested without violating Swiss sovereignty. And MI6 did follow up on this information by sending Bond there. They only needed to go to Sir Hillary to tell him not to go to Piz Gloria.